These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

FW: I-hub and system upgrades

First post First post
Author
Dark-Angel
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#321 - 2012-09-03 03:26:01 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
UPDATED THREAD 31/08/2012 HERE.

• Move station deny docking from being automatic when a system is captured to something that only happens when the enemy upgrade a system to level X

• !

Dont bring back station games. You finally found a way that forces players to move about and play the game. Lets keep it that way. More fights, more fun.

Just a few ideas:

Give incentive (positive or negative) for people to flip systems rather than farm LP in vulnerable systems indefinitely.

Make neutral boosters gain aggression to wartargets.

Give nominal amount of LP for defensive plexing to incentivise defense.

Stop allowing friendly factions from farming another friendly factions plexes. Example: Minmatar farming Gallente or Amarr farming Caldari. Allowing this incetivises the factions militias to leave their factions space and not deal with the issues facing their faction and concern for occupancy. Whats teh point of having a militia that doesnt operate in their home space most of the time or have concern for its welfare?!

Kuehnelt
    Devoid Privateering
    #322 - 2012-09-03 04:07:53 UTC
    Dark-Angel wrote:
    Stop allowing friendly factions from farming another friendly factions plexes. Example: Minmatar farming Gallente or Amarr farming Caldari. Allowing this incetivises the factions militias to leave their factions space and not deal with the issues facing their faction and concern for occupancy. Whats teh point of having a militia that doesnt operate in their home space most of the time or have concern for its welfare?!

What 'cross LP' actually allows is for an Amarr corp to stay in Amarr space while earning Caldari LP. If Amarr gets stuck at permanent T1 and Caldari's coasting at T4, Amarr corps can switch factions and keep doing what they're doing and get better pay for it.

The only problem of 'cross LP' for anyone is that it tends to increase the supply of Caldari (in this example) LP store products, hurting Caldari isk/LP.

The entire rest of the picture would continue to be in the picture no matter what you do to nerf cross LP, as players and corps who are in good standing in faction A can always switch to allied faction C, and back again. Waah, you say, Minmatar farmers are coming and contesting Caldari plexes because they've run out? Well it'll only takes a day for an entire corp of Minmatar farmers to become Gallente farmers and do the same thing.
    Veshta Yoshida
    PIE Inc.
    Khimi Harar
    #323 - 2012-09-03 12:35:02 UTC
    Dark-Angel wrote:
    CCP Ytterbium wrote:
    UPDATED THREAD 31/08/2012 HERE.

• Move station deny docking from being automatic when a system is captured to something that only happens when the enemy upgrade a system to level X!
  • Dont bring back station games. You finally found a way that forces players to move about and play the game. Lets keep it that way. More fights, more fun.

What makes you think that it will increase that lovely aspect of Eve? Between doubled buffer and severely nerfed LP bleed, you are looking at a day or more (dependent on which level it is placed) of concentrated plexing before enemy is "allowed in", one should think that if enemy is allowed free reign to that extent then 'docking games' is the least of your worries Smile

It will act as a counter to the gaming-of-system that is already taking shape in W&T where all systems not directly needed for WZC tier are kept at very high contested status (read: low to no upgrades) to maximize defensive LP .. want to bet that concept will collapse if it means enemy can dock?

Shorter: By making docking denial part of the upgrade path you emphasize the need to defend before it starts paying through the nose .. ie. players will have to make a very real choice: easy but little LP or tons of LP that has to be bled for.

"Cross LP" are a heinous flaw if you ask me, perpetuates the 2 steamrollers/2 underdogs status quo to no end which is just bad for FW. Cut foreign made LP by 3/4 or more .. just enough to say that help is appreciated but no more.
    We had frequent collaborations before LP were even in the mix, but back then it was Pew assistance and not alt plexing swarms .. we need to encourage pew, not give options for risk averse to simple clone to other theatre when offensive LP dries up.
    PS: With the inevitably broken defensive plexing LP coming the issue might sort itself out, but it is treating the common cold with a GMO anthrax for all the good it will do to kill the evil farmer that has kept LP market depressed for years.
    Angelus Ryan
    One Ronin
    #324 - 2012-09-03 14:40:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Angelus Ryan
    I'll be frank. I haven't read the entire thread and I am coming into it late. I am also not a part of FW, but I'd like to address the "highsec nerf" that appears in between the lines:

From all I managed to gathered from past changes in EVE (I'm only playing for a year or so), reducing the desirability of highsec to promote lowsec (or nullsec or WH space) has never helped. I do not believe it will help in this case, either. People just suck up the costs or project them onto their customers. So reducing refine rates on highsec stations, or making manufacturing jobs more pricey in highsec will not make lowsec a more desirable place to live in (the latter will just encourage more cloaky transports moving about, but that's not exactly fun to anyone).

In order for lowsec space to be desirable it needs to offer something that the other space(s) do not have and does not require massive cooperation, or very expensive ships to access. The static, public low-rating complexes of lowsec (DED 1/10s and 2/10s) are a rather decent example (but most certainly are not enough). Sure, highsec has them, but they are perma-camped, typically by the same people and it is hard to dislodge them (unless you're willing to camp 24/7) since you can't just go in guns blazing. The lowsec ones are quite often spawned, rarely camped (aside of some cloaky, warpstabbed farmers, but at least you can chase them out of there with a bit of effort and deny them the resource). They are valuable enough to encourage people to go into lowsec to access them, accessible enough so that nearly anyone can try to, and visible enough to make them PvP (and/or Piracy) attractions. It is the proverbial watering hole, which is lucrative enough to draw in the prey and also visible enough to draw in the predator.

We need more things of the sort. More lowsec static plexes of varying levels? That will probably help. But we also need other things in lowsec to make it desirable to more players. Maybe even some things entirely exclusive to lowsec.

The other thing is the long, long overdue "What Happens in Lowsec, Stays in Lowsec" initiative. Cap sec status drop at -2.0 (or some other number which doesn't lock people out of highsec entirely, maybe allow it to drop so that access to 1.0,0.9 and 0.8 is eliminated, so cap at -3.5) for lowsec ship kills (Let poddings drop people as low as they like) to encourage more "weekend warriors" to wander into PvP without having to rat their sec status afterwards. The dropping sec status doesn't encourage people to just move to lowsec when it gets low, it discourages them from shooting people once it gets too low. That's bad for the amount of people in lowsec and the amount of PvP there.

TL;DR:
    (Just) Nerfing highsec won't fix lowsec. Making lowsec unique will fix lowsec.
    Selene Antara
    Federal Defense Union
    Gallente Federation
    #325 - 2012-09-03 16:28:43 UTC

I think the proposed changes look pretty good but I would have liked to see more "pvp" benefit to system upgrades and perhaps the introduction of other, pvp related, temporary bonuses that could be purchased with LP.

As a PvP pilot the additional industry slots don't really do anything for me. The repair cost bonus is nice but not very significant.

It would make sense to me that an upgraded system has upgraded defenses.

The cynojammer is one step but I was really thinking more small scale (with more variety):
    Upgraded NPCs (either HP, or #, or static turrets in plexes)
    NPCs spawns on star gates
    temporary leadership bonuses to all friendly militia pilots in system
    temporary hack of local for all but friendly militia pilots in system
    temporary hack of gate guns against hostile militia

Perhaps some of these could be extended to offensive action at a higher cost (pay LP to have friendly navy attack in support of you).

This would need to be balanced along with the costs and difficulty to take/defend a system but could act a LP sink and make FW a very dynamic pvp environment.
    Perkin Warbeck
    Higher Than Everest
    #326 - 2012-09-04 01:49:51 UTC
    Maybe CCP could encourage more PvP in FW by dividing up the warzone into various regions that must be conquered sequentially by each faction. At the moment there appears to be too much opportunity for people to quietly plex/camp/mission in a nice quiet system far away from anything.

If you divided up the warzone in this way then people would need to focus on those systems that are being contested in order (particularly if these were the only regions where LP can be earned for plexing and missioning) and would create the concept of a 'battle front'.

Just a thought.

Garan Nardieu
    Super Serious Fight Club
    #327 - 2012-09-04 08:10:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Garan Nardieu
    I must admit I have not read all the replies, so if this has been suggested, just ignore me.

With the new LP-for-def plexing mechanic in place farming is not going to be nerfed, it will only be brought to a new level of meta ugliness as others have allready sugested. So, in order to prevent FarmWille2.0 - why not just put the LPs coming from defensive plexing into system upgrades? Keep the LP amount calculation as proposed so that people can't (easily) upgrade the systems to 5 by def plexing alone.

This should provide an incentive to defensive plex if you're actually fighting 'the war' and does not help one-day, afk farmers alts in any way.
    IbanezLaney
    The Church of Awesome
    #328 - 2012-09-04 08:22:49 UTC
    iulixxi wrote:
    CCP Ytterbium wrote:
  • CYNO JAMMER

• As you can see above, the Cyno Jammer is back with a vengeance. However we took into consideration the feedback we received during Fanfest and various community channels, and it would work as mentioned below.

This will impact ‘some’ alliances ability to do logistics from Empire to 0.0 … have you considered this?

E

I think that was the idea.

I am sure all Militias will happily accept payment(s) to ensure your logistics are unaffected.
    Lev Arturis
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #329 - 2012-09-04 10:44:57 UTC
    IbanezLaney wrote:
    iulixxi wrote:
    CCP Ytterbium wrote:
  • CYNO JAMMER

• As you can see above, the Cyno Jammer is back with a vengeance. However we took into consideration the feedback we received during Fanfest and various community channels, and it would work as mentioned below.

This will impact ‘some’ alliances ability to do logistics from Empire to 0.0 … have you considered this?

E

I am sure all Militias will happily accept payment(s) to ensure your logistics are unaffected.

How does a 130mil cyno jammer that has a duration of 1 hour has any effect on 0.0 logistics? Roll
    Veshta Yoshida
    PIE Inc.
    Khimi Harar
    #330 - 2012-09-04 10:55:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Veshta Yoshida
    Lev Arturis wrote:
    How does a 130mil cyno jammer that has a duration of 1 hour has any effect on 0.0 logistics? Roll

YOU FOOL!

That one question just crashed the entire tinfoil futures market .. aaaargh, my pension fund!!!

The proposed jammer will have no measurable effect even within FW. The amount of capital slug-fests is minimal and always has been due to plexes catering to everything but. Would much prefer dev time being put towards an upgrade that reinforces/encourages the smaller fights .. such as plex spawn control: pay to 'swap' one size for another.

Besides, null does not exactly jump through the busy systems (read: FW cores) and since they are probably going to be the only ones with level 5 available (see the farm dat ****! thread in W&T) it is a non-issue.
    Alticus C Bear
    University of Caille
    Gallente Federation
    #331 - 2012-09-04 12:33:51 UTC
    In regards to High sec station changes in tax and costs, there are the normal number of reactionary threads/post popping up and it I think it may be important to clearly differentiate proposals for changes that are to overhaul low sec and those that may be linked to FW success.
    As other have mentioned refinery changes for all high sec changes may work but linking these to faction warfare is probably a bad idea.
    A good choice may be NPC corp taxes, higher NPC corp taxes when a faction is doing badly may help nudge players out into other corps or even the Militia corps.

Stationless Systems
    Have you considered lowering the LP upgrade requirements for the systems without stations, it’s hard to see any use for upgrades but if they were seen as a cheap way of boosting warzone control they may be more desirable?
    Cearain
    Plus 10 NV
    #332 - 2012-09-04 13:21:34 UTC
    Kuehnelt wrote:
    The entire motivation for defensive LP is "Man, it sucks to win so hard." Right? It's a King complaining that his crown is a little bit heavy?

Why should it be surprising that a feature motivated only by that would have so many perverse consequences? Defense is already buffed in this expansion by the halting of the 'push for the cashout' mechanism at work at present.

I too find it hard to believe this argument won the day. Yet it did.

Certain players in the minmatar militia claimed they were being punished for holding systems. "Poor minmatar had it so rough with inferno something needed to be done."

Yet here we have it. They will now be able to farm defensive and offensive plexes.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Cearain
    Plus 10 NV
    #333 - 2012-09-04 13:28:00 UTC
    Zarnak Wulf wrote:
    Susan Black's Number Crunch

This is an interesting read.

Yes it pretty plainly spells out what any rational player should do: Join the winning side.

Want to defensive plex? You will make more isk if you join the winning side.

Want to offensive plex? You will make more isk if you join the winning side.

You will even likely make more isk defensive plexing than your opponents offensive plexing if you...Join the winning side.

I wonder what eve players will do?

I guess we will just have to wait to find out, but the suspense is killing me.

I would love to hear from hans or some other ccp member as to why they think anyone would plex for the side that is losing on this system.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Sui'Djin
    State War Academy
    Caldari State
    #334 - 2012-09-04 13:50:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Sui'Djin
    Cearain wrote:
    Zarnak Wulf wrote:

Yes it pretty plainly spells out what any rational player should do: Join the winning side.

You will even likely make more isk defensive plexing than your opponents offensive plexing if you...Join the winning side.

I would love to hear from hans or some other ccp member as to why they think anyone would plex for the side that is losing on this system.

Again: That's what I already said back in May. What is still missing is the aspect of 'diminishing returns' mentioned by the Devs. I like the proposed system far better than the old one, but it looks like diminishing returns is not implemented yet, so the pendulum has no real momentum to swing back for the losing side. While it may be funny for a while to rule a region, it quickly becomes boring pvp-wise. And as FW is all about PvP, this aspect has to be prioritized.

Just my 2 ct

Time will tell.
    Cearain
    Plus 10 NV
    #335 - 2012-09-04 13:58:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Cearain
    Sui'Djin wrote:
    Cearain wrote:
    Zarnak Wulf wrote:

Again: That's what I already said back in May. What is still missing is the aspect of 'diminishing returns' mentioned by the Devs. I like the proposed system far better than the old one, but it looks like diminishing returns is not implemented yet, so the pendulum has no real momentum to swing back for the losing side. While it may be funny for a while to rule a region, it quickly becomes boring pvp-wise. And as FW is all about PvP, this aspect has to be prioritized.

Just my 2 ct

Time will tell.

Under the old system every militia had an opportunity to hit a tier 5 cashout because there was no lp for defensive plexing.

However certain minmatar got upset that they couldn't continue to farm after they captured too many systems. Appearantly ccp agreed that the minmatar had it too rough so they changed it so the minmafarm can farm non stop and never actually have to pvp to hold the systems.

Edit: Not only that but because there was no lp for defensive plexing you wanted to join the side that currently had fewer systems instead of the winning team. That way you would make lp leading up to the tier 5 cashout.

Zarnak Wulf
    Task Force 641
    Empyrean Edict
    #336 - 2012-09-04 15:31:58 UTC
    Alot of people are assuming that the plex farmer population is going to remain constant and that's just a bad assumption. If you raise the price of admittance and lower the reward - some people will decide that circling buttons isn't worth it anymore.

Here is another math blog that somewhat refutes Susan Black's:

Greedy Goblin's Blog

Essentially the current system allows higher tiers to halve or quarter not only the LP cost of an item but also the Isk cost as well. The post-winter FW system will only give you an LP benefit. The higher tiers will not give as big a bang - but the lower tiers also won't get a double penalty either.

Essentially the success or failure comes down to certain areas of concern:
    Mission Running
    'Foreign' Offensive Plexing.
    The Bleed Rate from Offensive plexing.

One side will conquer a system and upgrade it to tier V. The other side, given no opposition, can come in and plex it to vulnerable. The new system makes it so that the system will not lose it's Tier One status until almost the point that it becomes vulnerable - 95% - 100% contested. Should the Minmatar swing by when it's at 50% and re-commit LP to the I-Hub, it could stay at least at Tier 3 until the system falls. My thoughts are that the contested level, upgrade level, and bleed rate should be related. Should the Minmatar do the above example, the Amarr militia should have a higher bleed rate going for them until they get back through tier 4 and 5 to tier 3 again.
    X Gallentius
    Black Eagle1
    #337 - 2012-09-04 15:51:25 UTC
    IbanezLaney wrote:
    iulixxi wrote:
    CCP Ytterbium wrote:
  • CYNO JAMMER

E

I actually looked at this. NO 0.0 alliance will be affected by this once they move their cyno alts. There many non-FW systems available for use as jump points to 0.0. If you disagree, then provide an example and we'll try to come up with an alternative.

Cearain
    Plus 10 NV
    #338 - 2012-09-04 15:54:01 UTC
    Zarnak Wulf wrote:
    Alot of people are assuming that the plex farmer population is going to remain constant and that's just a bad assumption. If you raise the price of admittance and lower the reward - some people will decide that circling buttons isn't worth it anymore.

I am not sure if this is in response to what I posted but the numbers in Susan's blog are not effected by the numbers of people who plex.

Regardless of how many, or few, people are plexing everyone who wants more isk will join the winning side.

They have removed the only balance in the system - no lp for defensive plexing.

Cearain
    Plus 10 NV
    #339 - 2012-09-04 16:30:02 UTC
    Zarnak Wulf wrote:

Here is another math blog that somewhat refutes Susan Black's:

Greedy Goblin's Blog

Essentially the current system allows higher tiers to halve or quarter not only the LP cost of an item but also the Isk cost as well. The post-winter FW system will only give you an LP benefit. The higher tiers will not give as big a bang - but the lower tiers also won't get a double penalty either.

I too think Susans blog underestimates how this will be a nerf to fw. But that is not really a big concern of mine.

Cearain
    Plus 10 NV
    #340 - 2012-09-04 16:32:28 UTC
    Vyktor Abyss wrote:

My opinion of these changes (and the others regarding NPCs) is that on the whole they are a rather drastic "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" proposal. Rather than amending the designs you went with in Inferno and keeping some of the good parts - like some of the dynamism of the warzone, you're adding yet more time sinks via "inefficient upgrading" for still rather shoddy upgrades (Cynojammer will have very limited use, POS fuel discount? - all uninspired) and making it even more a war about who has the most alts to run (now defensive) buttons.

From what I have read the warzone will become a dull never changing landscape with farmers simply switching to defensive plexing and less people attempting to offensive plex because it is still boring orbiting a button, just now it is now 10x less effective and more risky.

Hans, if you've helped CCP along this road you will be culpable too. Current FW is broken yes, but not stale. Why not just fix the broken parts with the current system like worthwhile system upgrades for ALL FW systems, not just a hotch potch few systems; Stop farmers by making people kill all spawns, make the LP store require a wide variety of tags for all items etc etc.

The proposed changes as they stand do not improve the latest broken system (which is flawed but interesting), they instead introduce yet another broken system that will actually be more akin to the old boring broken one than something new and exciting. These proposals are a step backward in making FW more 'fun', adding only more grind, and that is a shame.

Even a horrible poster can understand how this is broken. P

CCP made some changes in inferno 1.0. They are now supposed to tweak the new system and address the other parts that weren't addressed at all.

Instead they are replacing the entire tier system with something even less thought through.

Please CCP put away the fecal catapult hoping that some of what you fling will stick.

Instead really think this through and get a handle on the real problems.