These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

"post with your main!"... what defines a main and is that really what people want?

Author
Hypercake Mix
#41 - 2012-08-16 21:23:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Hypercake Mix
My main's name is significantly less awesome... and significantly less delicious.
James 315
Experimental Fun Times Corp RELOADED
CODE.
#42 - 2012-08-16 21:27:03 UTC
This thread speaks to me. People are always accusing me of being someone else's alt, but I'm not! I'm my own man. Smile
Whar Target
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2012-08-16 21:28:19 UTC
I consider my first character I made and trained to be my "main" even though I only use it for isk making these days.

There are countless reasons why people don't post with their mains and many reasons others rage about it.

People complain about it because they want to be able to dispute everything you say based on killboards or X encounter/experience they had dealing with you in-game. The most controversial threads are the ones people whine most in to "post with your main" so they can use character history in an attempt to discredit the person instead of forming a valid argument.

Posting on your main also limits your ability to say certain things on the forum. For example if I say I mine ice in low sec and someone recognizes my main from a system they pass by often, there's a good chance they now know what I may potentially be doing and I just gave them free intel.

MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#44 - 2012-08-16 21:29:50 UTC  |  Edited by: MadMuppet
I only post with my main because I'm too lazy to change to an alt.

Oh and my first toon on an account is my main.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#45 - 2012-08-16 21:44:18 UTC
I post on my main because I don't give a damn if someone doesn't like what I say and I stand behind what I say.
I also use the same character name across all the MMOs, that's how much I care to stay well hidden.

Actually I have a whole personal website listing my main characters in various MMOs. For some reason I feel stronger if I am well known than if I hide. Come August 25 I'll (also) play GW2 on Desolation server, name Vaerah.
CATPAIN KIRK
State War Academy
Caldari State
#46 - 2012-08-16 21:45:24 UTC
MadMuppet wrote:
I only post with my main because I'm too lazy to change to an alt.

Oh and my first toon on an account is my main.



QTF - saem here
Lysanne Reqetta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2012-08-16 21:48:51 UTC
Alt posting may be slightly cowardly, but that doesn't make the opinion any less valid. You're still an EVE player who presumably has some experience with the topic in question.

I use alts as different personalities: profane inanities go on my almost-never-used NPC alt (Lysanne), srsposting goes on my main (nope), and RvB posting goes on my RvB alt (still nope).

Naturally, I am alt posting right the **** now.

Blatant alt posting? In my EVE? It's more likely than you think.

NEVER FORGET - NOVEMBER 2013 - THE GREAT SIGNATURE MASSACRE

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#48 - 2012-08-16 22:18:57 UTC
My main is the character I've put the most time playing recently, not always my first character.

and real men corpsetank.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

ps3ud0nym
Dixon Cox Butte Preservation Society
United Federation of Conifers
#49 - 2012-08-16 22:25:24 UTC
My main.. hummm.. that is actually a hard one! My first character was started in the beta back in 2003.. is that my main? It can't be cause it got binned when the beta ended and apparently can't be resurrected (believe me, I tried!).. my next four or five characters? Are those my mains? They have names closer to my normal nick (no numbers and such), but were only trials.

It is pretty hard to say what your "main" is, however most of us have toons with which we are most closely associated. If you asked someone who ps3ud0nym is, good or bad you will get an answer. My main is the character that I used which is most closely associated with my EVE persona as represented in forums and in alliance.
General Isk
Doomheim
#50 - 2012-08-16 22:34:06 UTC
who cares... post on an alt to troll the trolls. This forum is mainly trolls anyway at least GD is anyway. <------ another alt deal with it or close page fool
Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#51 - 2012-08-16 23:48:01 UTC
I always post with my main. Those that don't, are cowards.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#52 - 2012-08-16 23:49:44 UTC
Zombie Lord Ryan wrote:
I BIOed my first. Sold my second after a year or so of use. Couldn't tell you how many I've had since. My main is whichever of the current +25 characters I have logged in.


The selling of characters totally invalidates the idea of a main. As in the game, you never really know who is behind a character in the forums.

So best to only go with the ideas presented by a character in a single thread. Even thread to thread the character may be different.



Jimmy Gunsmythe
Sebiestor Tribe
#53 - 2012-08-16 23:55:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Jimmy Gunsmythe
Lilianna Star wrote:
Anonymity is a great weapon and shield.

Throwing it away is a terrible plan.


Anonymity is something that should be done away with. It teaches a lack of consequences for one's actions. And while I agree that giving your enemies information is foolish, I think being able to post stupid ideas behind an alt essentially encourages concealing who those idiots are. Do you actually serve next to one? Also, we cry for more transperency from our government, and yet we expect none from a game. Is that guy suggesting X really from Y Coalition? I believe it would serve to clarify who makes what suggestions and their motivations for doing so.

As it is, the smell of fish is sometimes over-powering here in the forums, because I know that not THAT MANY newb toons know where the forums are.

John Hancock

Jack Miton
Perkone
Caldari State
#54 - 2012-08-16 23:55:59 UTC
Your main is the name you use on comms.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Xinivrae
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2012-08-17 00:55:11 UTC
I consider my main to be my pvp character, but I spend more time in game on this account, and I'd feel schizophrenic if I were to suddenly switch who I posted with.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#56 - 2012-08-17 01:54:48 UTC
Xinivrae wrote:
I consider my main to be my pvp character, but I spend more time in game on this account, and I'd feel schizophrenic if I were to suddenly switch who I posted with.

Oddly, my "pvp character" who can fly battleships in fleets, does nothing of the sort.

Meanwhile a random alt which somehow trained into bombers is all I (non-isk farm) on now. It's very odd.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Planktal
Kenshao Industries
#57 - 2012-08-17 05:47:17 UTC
It doesn't matter what character you use to post with, (Main, alt, whatever) it's you that is posting not the character. People who yell "Post with your main" are saying they can't come up with an effective argument to your post so they use straw-man tactics and attack your avatar.

That is a weak debate tactic and only shows how weak your position is.

Here sanity, nice sanity.....THWOOK Got the bastard

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#58 - 2012-08-17 06:33:50 UTC
I posted on my main, my corp got wardecced (and the attackers blamed me), and now I find myself back in an NPC corp. So apparently posting on your main can be hazardous Lol. Though I have posted on my main since before I subscribed, this is the first time anyone has taken action based on some vague evil I am supposed to have committed on the forums.

Other reasons for “post on your main” are the ability to look up the poster on killboards and ridicule their fits and losses.

For me, the main character is some combination of the one you play the most hours on, the one you have most SP trained on, and the one that most of your ingame friends associate with you.
Kryss Darkdust
The Skulls
#59 - 2012-08-17 06:56:55 UTC
When I read the forums, I skip the posts of people who post with obvious Alts. Eve is real, use your real Eve character, else your opinion, story's and motivation are not to be trusted and your convictions completetly meaningless.

The reality of Eve is that, if you don't love it like it is today, you should probobly go ahead and unsub. 

Kryss Darkdust
The Skulls
#60 - 2012-08-17 06:58:18 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
I posted on my main, my corp got wardecced (and the attackers blamed me), and now I find myself back in an NPC corp. So apparently posting on your main can be hazardous Lol. Though I have posted on my main since before I subscribed, this is the first time anyone has taken action based on some vague evil I am supposed to have committed on the forums.

Other reasons for “post on your main” are the ability to look up the poster on killboards and ridicule their fits and losses.

For me, the main character is some combination of the one you play the most hours on, the one you have most SP trained on, and the one that most of your ingame friends associate with you.


Getting War deced for your mouth is a right of passage in Eve, by punking out and going back to posting alts you have not graduated.

The reality of Eve is that, if you don't love it like it is today, you should probobly go ahead and unsub.