These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

THE ARENA

Author
hired gunman
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#1 - 2012-06-25 22:22:54 UTC  |  Edited by: hired gunman
I know i will get a lot of critisism but i dont care.

We Need an arena!

were we can contest eachother 1v1 ever had the fealing of testing your fit? well take it to the arena and stop asking corps to fight you. it would be kinda like in sisi but more governed.

People want to gamble so let them!

in the arena you can bet on whos going to win look at their past arena experience wins and losses.

there would be a 1v1 for every class!

fealing like throughing money away get a t3 and battle another one in an arena.

anything more than 1v1 is lame go to low sec or 0.0!

but this would have to be in one central location NEXT TO JITA not in it NEXT to it. for population purposes.

AND if you wanted you could pay a sum of cash in a stalemate to have a couple rats tip it in your favor .... WHY? we love explosions not stalemates.

Grab some popcorn and sit in your captains quaters and watch it from their or get front row tickets to the whole thing! proceeds go to the winner..

COME AND WATCH IT AND GAMBLE YOUR ISK AWAY TO OTHER PLAYERS.

NO PREVIEW OF THE FITS! stats on player only....
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#2 - 2012-06-25 22:39:19 UTC

Is it really so hard to do a forum search for this topic?

If you can't be asked to look for/at the countless number of times this has been discussed, then I can't be asked to explain why it's continually shot down...

Let me do a forum search....
5 seconds later:
Oh look at what I found after typing in the word ARENA and hitting enter...

Consensual PvP Arenas
Virtual Arenas
Tourney Arenas
Controlled Arenas
Lowsec Arenas
Dueling Arenas
Ship Restricted Combat Zones
Dueling Contracts
PvP Arenas
Colosseums
Simulated PvP
PvP Simulator
Null and Lowsec Arenas
Duel Mode
The Thunderdome

and on, and on, andon, and on, and on....

Common reasons against an Arena:
1.) Arena PvP is not like regular PvP. As a pilot that's particpated in the Alliance Tournament, as well as run private tournaments, the setups and tactics are not very transferable between arena style and general PvP.

2.) Sisi

3.) Why?? Why have the developers spend their time on this aspect of the game?? To do this right, where outside forces couldnt interfere with the match, would require quite a bit of work. Rather than creating a contrived scheme for dueling, people can already duel... I do it all the time!!!

4.) If you could be assured of a "fair fight," where you don't have to worry about backup, you don't have to worry about fleet boosters, or faction fits, or blah blah blah, why would you go looking for a fight in lowsec or nullsec? This would be detrimental to PvP in those regions.
Serpensor
Affluence Industries
Red Squad Alliance
#3 - 2012-06-25 23:28:36 UTC
On one hand, if there were arenas in EVE there would be a number of folks (maybe even a a lot) that would only do that style of PvP. On the other hand there are folks who won't play EVE because it doesn't have this feature. So what audience is this game trying to cater to? Personally I would love there to be an arena so I could get a quick PvP fix. However I also don't want the flavor of the game to change because a lot of players migrate away from the current PvP paradigm. Is there a way we can have both or are these play styles mutually exclusive ?
Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#4 - 2012-06-26 00:43:17 UTC
Yes, people go apeshit about ideas like this, because they see it as somehow being a threat to their own playstyle. Screw 'em.

An arena would be pretty awesome.

Do not run. We are your friends.

sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-06-26 01:39:08 UTC
Tyranis Marcus wrote:
Yes, people go apeshit about ideas like this, because they see it as somehow being a threat to their own playstyle. Screw 'em.

Oh noez, arena will kill the blob. God forbid 1v1 makes a comeback.Roll
leviticus ander
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-06-26 04:13:27 UTC
also, it might actually convince people that gallente aren't useless, they are just a niche race.
Rordan D'Kherr
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2012-06-26 08:38:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Rordan D'Kherr
1. get into an alliance.
2. join alliance tournament
3. ???
4. profit

//edit:

or try SiSi

//superedit:

or try lowsec, ask for 1on1 on a station

etc.

//superninjaextraedit

SANDBOX > arena

Don't be scared, because being afk is not a crime.

Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#8 - 2012-06-26 09:53:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Tchulen
Serpensor wrote:
... On the other hand there are folks who won't play EVE because it doesn't have this feature. ...

Where do you get this fact from? I'd love to see your source.

As I've mentioned on several of the other posts this is EvE, not WoW. In WoW, the content is provided by the game developer. In EvE, we're supposed to create the content because it's a sandbox.

So I'll say the same to all you lot who want an arena as I did last time and the time before that etc.: Go make an arena.

Rather than whinging about the fact that EvE doesn't have one go make one. If you don't have the imagination to manage it *snip* go play WoW.

If you really want to have an arena, can't think how to do it and really want to stick with EvE rather than moving to a game more suited to your*snip* let me know and I'll explain how you can do it.

I fixed to bad words for you!
Kind Regards
ISD Dosnix

Edit: Thanks and apologies. I shouldn't get annoyed with people who play a sandbox game who don't want to play a sandbox game. After all, there are a lot of fools out there. I'd best get used to it.
Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#9 - 2012-06-28 05:27:41 UTC
Case in point.

Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#10 - 2012-06-28 05:59:46 UTC
Tyranis Marcus wrote:
Case in point....

... of what?
Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-06-28 07:50:01 UTC
Aren't we getting a dueling feature anyhow with Crimewatch? Then you can arrange an arena.

Emergent Gameplay(tm).
Feligast
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-06-28 09:08:46 UTC
hired gunman wrote:
I know my idea is crap but i dont care.

ftfy
Colonel Xaven
Perkone
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-06-28 09:17:03 UTC
Tyranis Marcus wrote:

It's not a threat to any playstlye, it's just the opposite of sandbox, which is the core of this game.

www.facebook.com/RazorAlliance

Xorv
Questionable Acquisitions
#14 - 2012-06-28 09:45:22 UTC
Colonel Xaven wrote:
Tyranis Marcus wrote:

It's not a threat to any playstlye, it's just the opposite of sandbox, which is the core of this game.

Precisely! Enough of this Themepark crap in EVE.
Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#15 - 2012-06-28 23:51:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyranis Marcus
Colonel Xaven wrote:
Tyranis Marcus wrote:

Just like faction warfare and sov mechanics?

But no, it's not threat at all. When you read some of the threads on this subject though, a lot of people seem to think it is.

Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#16 - 2012-06-28 23:53:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyranis Marcus
Tchulen wrote:
Serpensor wrote:
... On the other hand there are folks who won't play EVE because it doesn't have this feature. ...

Where do you get this fact from? I'd love to see your source.

As I've mentioned on several of the other posts this is EvE, not WoW. In WoW, the content is provided by the game developer. In EvE, we're supposed to create the content because it's a sandbox.

So I'll say the same to all you lot who want an arena as I did last time and the time before that etc.: Go make an arena.

Rather than whinging about the fact that EvE doesn't have one go make one. If you don't have the imagination to manage it *snip* go play WoW.

If you really want to have an arena, can't think how to do it and really want to stick with EvE rather than moving to a game more suited to your*snip* let me know and I'll explain how you can do it.

I fixed to bad words for you!
Kind Regards
ISD Dosnix

Edit: Thanks and apologies. I shouldn't get annoyed with people who play a sandbox game who don't want to play a sandbox game. After all, there are a lot of fools out there. I'd best get used to it.

It's more a matter of mechanics than content. Of course, even if you don't consider that to be the case, I don't see you being able to claim that missions, incursions, plexes, rats, etc aren't content, and created by CCP.

Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#17 - 2012-06-29 00:32:58 UTC
If we're getting a duel feature that'll do it, though.

I suppose it'll mean the end of the days of laughing at people who try to cheat in arranged fights and get their alts / corpmates Concorded because they don't understand the mechanics.

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-06-29 01:14:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
Tyranis Marcus wrote:
[It's more a matter of mechanics than content. Of course, even if you don't consider that to be the case, I don't see you being able to claim that missions, incursions, plexes, rats, etc aren't content, and created by CCP.

pve pays for pvp.....play wot, a pure pvp game, and you'll appreciate this caveat feature. I have tier 9 tanks in wot that bleed credits on losses. Hell unless a good match I can be on the winning side and still lose credits (ammo and repari costs can kill me). Wot of course has a nice soluton for this...gold tanks. they get money made multiplier to make more money so you really have to blow it out your ass to not lose credits. Wallet warrior, play to win (as the gold tanks can get you to the high tier matches in about as fast as it take to have your online payment clear thier system on day 1 if motivated to spend cash ) the stigma attached to this however. Me...I jsut like my t59. A much better ride than lowe in many respects.

Also worth noting not all even use this. their sandbox is to scam people who run said pve. And the pure blood gankers....yep they need the bears to run this pve content. Not much good if the gank nets a CN invul....and no one has the isk to buy it when they sell. Hell, you need the bears running the canned content to get the damn cn invul in the first place with LP's.
Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#19 - 2012-06-29 01:55:14 UTC
Zan Shiro wrote:
Tyranis Marcus wrote:
[It's more a matter of mechanics than content. Of course, even if you don't consider that to be the case, I don't see you being able to claim that missions, incursions, plexes, rats, etc aren't content, and created by CCP.

pve pays for pvp.....play wot, a pure pvp game, and you'll appreciate this caveat feature. I have tier 9 tanks in wot that bleed credits on losses. Hell unless a good match I can be on the winning side and still lose credits (ammo and repari costs can kill me). Wot of course has a nice soluton for this...gold tanks. they get money made multiplier to make more money so you really have to blow it out your ass to not lose credits. Wallet warrior, play to win (as the gold tanks can get you to the high tier matches in about as fast as it take to have your online payment clear thier system on day 1 if motivated to spend cash ) the stigma attached to this however. Me...I jsut like my t59. A much better ride than lowe in many respects.

Also worth noting not all even use this. their sandbox is to scam people who run said pve. And the pure blood gankers....yep they need the bears to run this pve content. Not much good if the gank nets a CN invul....and no one has the isk to buy it when they sell. Hell, you need the bears running the canned content to get the damn cn invul in the first place with LP's.

Yeah, exactly.

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#20 - 2012-06-29 03:42:12 UTC
a big reason why arena will not happen is ccp probably realizes from other games is that "instanced" pvp means matchmaker programming. And unless you have had better luck than I.....no pvp matchmaker I have ever seen has not sucked ass.

they are either too controlled for "fairness". This means long waits as MM finds a match that won't be a most likely ass raeping in the making. basic stuff....2 month noob in the frigate wait list will wait untl another about another 2 month noob shows. Otherwise you get the other probelm with MM..

Its too open in scope. Going back to the above example. To not have our frigate noob wiai for a "perfect" opponent to enter the arena MM will take whatever frigate is next in the lsit and say " Fight......". If its a 2 month noob with crap fitting skills and no money for faction/o gear life is good. Should be equal ships and skills and its not lamb to a slaugher. BUt if the next frigate up is a bitter vet of 7 years, has done the AT circuit a few times and is rolling up in HG pirate implants and skill wires 5% slots 7-10 and on combat drugs with a bling fit frigate.....2 month noob unless a natural god of pvp will be +1 to the killboard padding of the bitter vet.

Either of these paths will most likely have arena not very popular. this is why you need to join a pvp corp that does thier own thing. On the combat char I could always find a corp or alliance mate who was down to fight till hull. I was in a corp that held in house tourneys as well. Strict rules, and organized such that there was refererees and such with ship scanners. Rules of the toruney was no o-fit or faction (faction ammo the only faction item allowed on ship) , showed up to the meet as such, gratz, thank you for your entrance fee present as no refunds for tards who can't read, please leave now.
12Next page