These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Give me a break

First post
Author
Maximum Entropy
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-06-12 02:04:24 UTC
Someone please tell me any other MMO that makes you spend an HOUR just looting the things you've killed.

As if a popup loot window is SO difficult to program after you shoot something. It may come as a shock to CCP, or Icelanders in general, but spending 10 minutes slowboating to a wreck is not exactly engaging or fun. And having to alt-tab out to the internet every 5 minutes so you don't fall asleep is not very immersive.

Now name a successful MMO that doesn't let you customize the look of your avatar. Oh right, there isn't one. Because people like to customize how they look in a game. (I'm talking about ships)

I've played on and off for 5 years and these 2 things have really grinded my gears. CCP thinks the rules don't apply to them. Well, you like to brag about how everything on EVE is on one server... that's because hardly anyone wants to play your game. And those who do aren't rewarded for actually playing and doing things in the game, because it's all TIME based. (ROFL what a joke)

(You make more money that way.)

If you actually made your gave attractive to the general population instead of a small niche audience, you wouldn't have to have micro transactions because people would gladly pay a subscription.

Why is the total number of "likes received" a poster has inversely proportional to the quality of posts one makes?

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2012-06-12 02:06:29 UTC
Use a tractor beam?
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#3 - 2012-06-12 02:06:37 UTC
Ship toasting in a bad thread with a bad OP.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Possum's Awesome
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
#4 - 2012-06-12 02:10:58 UTC
Reicine Ceer
K-A-O-S theory
#5 - 2012-06-12 02:11:58 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Use a tractor beam?

Maximum Entropy
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-06-12 02:12:46 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Use a tractor beam?


LOL why should I have to? Seriously. 2500 meters to loot something... why not 10km. Why not 50km? Why is the arbitrary number so small? What were they trying to achieve? Just make things take more time... FOR WHAT?

Besides, if I want a tractor beam, I'd have to sacrifice being able to actually shoot things... JUST TO BE ABLE TO LOOT THEM? Are you insane? Who came up with these ideas?

Why is the total number of "likes received" a poster has inversely proportional to the quality of posts one makes?

Darth Gustav
Froosh INC.
#7 - 2012-06-12 02:14:40 UTC
Maximum Entropy wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Use a tractor beam?


LOL why should I have to? Seriously. 2500 meters to loot something... why not 10km. Why not 50km? Why is the arbitrary number so small? What were they trying to achieve? Just make things take more time... FOR WHAT?

Besides, if I want a tractor beam, I'd have to sacrifice being able to actually shoot things... JUST TO BE ABLE TO LOOT THEM? Are you insane? Who came up with these ideas?

I bet your sci-fi sandbox MMO will be wildly successful.

Try to remember us little folks.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Serena Serene
Heretic University
#8 - 2012-06-12 02:14:55 UTC
You don't have to loot. Looting taking time is the reason there is a synergy between mission runners who are too lazy for that and newer characters (or older ones if they feel like it) who clean up after them.
You don't have to loot to get money. If you want to loot, it takes time.

You can fly around in a multitude of ships. Sure it would be nice if you could paint them or something like that, but you say this as if you're stuck with one and the same appearance for the whole game xD

About the one server thing: Eve still has more players online on the one server at the same time as some other MMOs have distributed over 5, 6 or 10 servers.

Skills are time based. Money making is smartness-based. You also make more money if you spend more time doing so. Remember your complaining about looting taking time, for example?

A game doesn't have to cater to a wide audience to be successful. And those who enjoy the niche this game fits in don't want it to either, I think.
MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-06-12 02:20:05 UTC
Serena Serene wrote:
You don't have to loot. Looting taking time is the reason there is a synergy between mission runners who are too lazy for that and newer characters (or older ones if they feel like it) who clean up after them.
You don't have to loot to get money. If you want to loot, it takes time.

You can fly around in a multitude of ships. Sure it would be nice if you could paint them or something like that, but you say this as if you're stuck with one and the same appearance for the whole game xD

About the one server thing: Eve still has more players online on the one server at the same time as some other MMOs have distributed over 5, 6 or 10 servers.

Skills are time based. Money making is smartness-based. You also make more money if you spend more time doing so. Remember your complaining about looting taking time, for example?

A game doesn't have to cater to a wide audience to be successful. And those who enjoy the niche this game fits in don't want it to either, I think.

Such a shamrock. Such beutiful words, that are spot on btw imo. are but only posted in a troll thread as thread bait.

May the coumminty have a moment of silence...

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-06-12 02:20:08 UTC
HTFU

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Maximum Entropy
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-06-12 02:20:44 UTC
And if this thread is deleted, or trolled heavily, I must point out, that I'm tired of filling out that part of the subscription cancellation process that asked why I'm cancelling.

This time I've decided to make a thread about it. It's not that suicide ganking that bothers me, or whatever goonswarm or the russians do, or the economy, it's the little things CCP did just to take up more time for some inane and arbitrary reason, or just to make more money.

I really think the game has potential, if they would just hire some people with the job of

Streamlining gameplay, improving the user experience

I feel there is NO ONE at CCP offices who has that job title.

But there could very well be a guy with the job description of:

"Making things take longer & complicating things" Hell, I think they have a whole department for that.

Why is the total number of "likes received" a poster has inversely proportional to the quality of posts one makes?

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-06-12 02:22:20 UTC
Maximum Entropy wrote:
And if this thread is deleted, or trolled heavily, I must point out, that I'm tired of filling out that part of the subscription cancellation process that asked why I'm cancelling.

This time I've decided to make a thread about it. It's not that suicide ganking that bothers me, or whatever goonswarm or the russians do, or the economy, it's the little things CCP did just to take up more time for some inane and arbitrary reason, or just to make more money.

I really think the game has potential, if they would just hire some people with the job of

Streamlining gameplay, improving the user experience

I feel there is NO ONE at CCP offices who has that job title.

But there could very well be a guy with the job description of:

"Making things take longer & complicating things" Hell, I think they have a whole department for that.


Oh man, he's cancelling his army of accounts.

It's getting real!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eGQ5VFt7P4

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Sobach
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-06-12 02:23:01 UTC
Maximum Entropy wrote:
I've played on and off for 5 years and these 2 things have really grinded my gears.


you've played for 5 years and still haven't figured out how to properly salvage a mission? especially these days with ships like the noctis available?


try using those couple neurons you have between your ears, it may help you figure some of these stuff out.
Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#14 - 2012-06-12 02:23:23 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Use a tractor beam?


That's what she said.
Nyreanya
Serenity Labs
#15 - 2012-06-12 02:24:41 UTC
Maximum Entropy wrote:
Someone please tell me any other MMO that makes you spend an HOUR just looting the things you've killed.
If you bothered to use a proper salvage ship, you wouldn't take this long.

Maximum Entropy wrote:
And having to alt-tab out to the internet every 5 minutes so you don't fall asleep is not very immersive.
It is if you use the ingame browser and call it Galnet.

Maximum Entropy wrote:
Now name a successful MMO that doesn't let you customize the look of your avatar. Oh right, there isn't one. Because people like to customize how they look in a game. (I'm talking about ships)
Right, because t3's don't change shape or anything, and you can't see what type of guns you have fit. And EVE lets you customize your avatar far more than most games.

Maximum Entropy wrote:
that's because hardly anyone wants to play your game.
That's why their numbers keep dwindling each month, right?

Maximum Entropy wrote:
And those who do aren't rewarded for actually playing and doing things in the game, because it's all TIME based. (ROFL what a joke)
...
If you actually made your gave attractive to the general population instead of a small niche audience, you wouldn't have to have micro transactions because people would gladly pay a subscription.
Because there's no active ways of making ISK.
Yup, all those micro transactions that are running rampant.

[/sarcasm]

Bluddwolf
Heimatar Military Industries
#16 - 2012-06-12 02:25:37 UTC
My suggestions for the OP:

1. Noctis is your friend. 10 x targets; 8 high slots; lock on range is about 80 km; tractor beam range is 67 km; Salvage range is 5km; loot range is 1500m

2. More efficient looting / salvage since Inferno screw up.... Tractor 4 wrecks in close enough to salvage; Salvage first; Lock onto 4 new Wrecks; Salvage first..... Keep on doing this until you have to move. Loot all containers before moving. repeat this process in new location.

3. Another option is to ignore small wrecks. Unless they have tags, their loot / salvage is usually not worth the effort since nerf.

EVE Online Fan ... Looking for "End Game" since 2006 ... Happily, I still havn't found it

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#17 - 2012-06-12 02:26:37 UTC
EVE is real. Use magic wand. I mean tractor beam.

P.S. EVE doesn't use common logic. Like you can see -10 security status guys piloting ships in hi-sec. Accept it or it will eat you from inside and turn into World of Tanks player.
Maximum Entropy
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-06-12 02:26:54 UTC
So, the first thing I'd do if EVE hired me is,

Create a task force of devs to help new players with terminal illnesses, such as cancer, AIDS, etc who would like to fly t2 ships, battleships and capital ships, but will die before the TIME required to achieve those goals passes.

Then I'd add a few specialized slots to battleships, so they could have scanners, cloaks, analyzers, tractor beams, salvagers, etc, without sacrificing dps or tank. This would make it worthwhile to actually level up your skills, as opposed to each new ship being exactly like the last one... (tank or dps)

Why is the total number of "likes received" a poster has inversely proportional to the quality of posts one makes?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#19 - 2012-06-12 02:27:09 UTC
Maximum Entropy wrote:
LOL why should I have to?
Good news: you don't.

You don't have to loot either.

The reason they have so many options for how you can approach this problem is becauseā€¦ well, that's just what the game does: it gives you options for how to approach your problems. Hopefully, you pick an option that reduces the amount of effort and makes it easy to beat the competition.

You've made a nice combination of bad choices: loot and do it inefficiently. The solution to this is to make a better choice.
Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2012-06-12 02:27:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Ris Dnalor
Maximum Entropy wrote:
....blah blah **** moan .... that's because hardly anyone wants to play your game.... whingy bintchy whinge .



http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png


and that little dip at the end...


pretty much affected the market as a whole:

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/TotalSubs.png

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

  • Qolde
123Next pageLast page