These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Jumping on the mining bandwaggon.

Author
Macks Artilius
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2012-05-30 00:38:27 UTC
I hear mining Rokhs are making a comeback.
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#42 - 2012-05-30 00:51:56 UTC
Ditra Vorthran wrote:
Vicky Somers wrote:
So don't mine in a Hulk and don't mine alone. You sound like a pretty intelligent person, yet you fail when you say that there is no defense. Bring an orca, dock up. Bring ewar. Bring a Rokh with smartbombs. Bring amberlamps. Do something.

The problem with the solutions above is the basic assumption that it is a matter of EHP vs DPS. No matter how much EHP, either by remote rep, personal boosting, or avoidance via ECM, that isn’t the issue. It’s an issue of balancing the predator vs. prey gameplay (see my post on that topic: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1359427#post1359427) which is in reality a wide variety of gameplay changes that need to be made. That’s why I agree with you that the mining mechanics need to be changed, but simple means of defense are not a solution

Vicky Somers wrote:
See, this is the problem right there. Whenever someone comes up with a smart tactic, you people want CCP to give you some epic ship that will solve everything at the push of a button.

Why not? It worked for destroyers. :P

Not really, no.

The real problem is a combination of this:
* People want to mine alone, not in groups.
* People want slack-, risk-free mining where they don't have to pay attention.
* People use expensive mining vessels doing so. If miners stuck to using cheap mining ships in highsec, noone would even lift an eyebrow about ganking. (risk vs reward)
* Miners often don't pay attention to surroundings and their fitting, "I'm not a PvPer so I don't have to" (lazy/ignorant).
* Highend ore's are not as profitable as they used to, when miners actually did mine them (it wasn't too long ago you could make nearly half a bil an hour mining with just four-five Hulks in null).

Most of this is an issue about mentality. If players would start mine in groups again, and if they'd stop using exhumers in highsec, alot of these "problems" would magicly go away immediately.

The "boring" aspect about mining is something I believe is wrong tho, alot of miners actually enjoy this low-attention way of playing. I have friends who think mining is the most enjoyable aspect in EVE (don't ask me why, I have no clue!). So the only real 'fix' apart from player mentality, would be to have a glance at the profits when mining in low-, nullsec or WH's.

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Horus Ernaga
Doomheim
#43 - 2012-05-30 01:16:32 UTC
I don't see why we can't leave the miners alone? It's boring as hell. Doesn't make a whole lot of ISK compared to other professions. Less fun to kill than a real fight.

I hear about people not only ganking mining ships, but podding them as well. Doesn't make sense to me, I don't pod anyone unless they are from a corporation that declared war on me.
Helena Russell Makanen
DRRUSSEL
#44 - 2012-05-30 01:25:01 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
The fact that more exhumers were destroyed this Hulkageddon than ever not only proves that more people are ganking, but also that more miners are letting themselves become a victim.

Actually didn't this Hulkageddon last three times longer than the last? Were three times as many ships destroyed? If not then you are in error from your first line....

"If a miner needs to go to the bathroom, for instance, I ask that they dock up first, or at the very least ask the Supreme Protector for permission to go."  -  James 315 - aka - the miner bumper

Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-05-30 01:25:29 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
lanyaie wrote:
Uhm i dont understand are you a butthurt miner or a butthurt person because mineral prices are going up?

I'm butthurd because of the sambal soaked dönner kebab I ate yesterday. My point is... if I ever had one. I don't know. Mining was a ******** concept from the start. People who do it and get ganked don't belong in Eve. And I see much tear potential in the "heavy duty" gankers who act like they're doing something special here.

Moon mining is a great idea. Just like PI but with more work involved and a good risk factor.

You still have to collect your PI from the customs office, and come Dust you'll be dealing with people trying to blow your colonies up.

Moon mining isn't entirely safe either, and not intended as an every man activety.
Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#46 - 2012-05-30 01:28:47 UTC
Natsett Amuinn wrote:
You still have to collect your PI from the customs office, and come Dust you'll be dealing with people trying to blow your colonies up.

Moon mining isn't entirely safe either, and not intended as an every man activety.

Please don't talk to me about Dust. Ever since I played the beta I have had a permanent taste of vomit in my mouth.
Ditra Vorthran
Caldari Imports and Exports
#47 - 2012-05-30 02:39:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Ditra Vorthran
* forum screw up, ignore *

"Miners mine so I don't have to." ~Metal Icarus

Frying Doom
#48 - 2012-05-30 02:47:51 UTC
I am a fan of mining I really like it but with all this I must say why bother.

Jump on the winning side and help kill all the exhumers in Hi-sec and after that why not strike into lo-sec and null. If accounts closing over this was going to get CCP to do anything they would have by now.

So why fight EvE becoming a Primarily PvP game just join the gankers.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Hroya
#49 - 2012-05-30 02:57:30 UTC
Mining isnt boring, barges and exhumers made it boring. It's a good thing that those buckets get wacked left and right. Awefull ships and i still am to lazy to log in to get rid of mine.. oops.
Now if only you could mine ice in a battleship then all would be oke. (well except that the person who thought icemining would be really good gameplay should seriously be smacked on the head )

You go your corridor but.

Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#50 - 2012-05-30 03:26:36 UTC
Renn Aldard wrote:
I'm a miner. Never been ganked. Never taken any sort of defensive measures to counter ganking. People complaining on the forum give us a bad rep.

Start Date 2012:03:24

Yeah, that explains a lot. Nobody is interested in ganking your noob ship, noob. It takes 51 days to sit in a hulk, and up to 6 months to fly it properly. Before you go thinking "oh EVE isn't so bad, no one ever ganks me" make sure you're correcting for the observer effect...
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#51 - 2012-05-30 03:41:46 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
Renn Aldard wrote:
I'm a miner. Never been ganked. Never taken any sort of defensive measures to counter ganking. People complaining on the forum give us a bad rep.

Start Date 2012:03:24

Yeah, that explains a lot. Nobody is interested in ganking your noob ship, noob. It takes 51 days to sit in a hulk, and up to 6 months to fly it properly. Before you go thinking "oh EVE isn't so bad, no one ever ganks me" make sure you're correcting for the observer effect...

It could be another mining alt.

I started a bunch recently.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Previous page123