These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Jumping on the mining bandwaggon.

Author
Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#1 - 2012-05-29 21:07:45 UTC
The fact that more exhumers were destroyed this Hulkageddon than ever not only proves that more people are ganking, but also that more miners are letting themselves become a victim. Because it boggles the mind. No matter how many restrictions you put on suicide ganking or high sec griefing antics, people always find new and creative ways to circumvent the system or use the new features in their favour.

But this isn't the case for miners. I am really disappoint in the people that are doing this mind numbing, yet very important task within the game. I mean, I'm sure some indy mining corps take measures. From what I've seen most just go: stay docked. Very few actually bother to come up with a strategy or tactic to deny a gank or in some way circumvent death. The sheer amount of barges lost and the amount of barges lost owned by the same pilots... it shames all of us. There is a difference between being a carebear and being stupid.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that mining really does need to change. Mining is sitting in a very fragile, bulky ship that shoots lasers and slowly fills up the hull with space rock that can be refined into minerals to make money with in an array of different ways. If done properly, you'd be sitting there with a group of people all shooting lasers, with orca support, indies, maybe some logistics or a combat ship. Just sitting there.

So this got me thinking further... what kind of idiot came up with this game mechanic? Who thought it would be a good idea to implement this as the main source of materials for ships that are used in Internet space ****? It's the exact opposite of what Eve should be. Things in eve should be risky, but above that, things in eve should be exhilarating. Mining is NOT exhilarating. Well, maybe it is during Hulkageddon. If you are an idiot that is.

Now, I have the best solution for this. Instead of blasting space rocks with fragile ships, why not just mine the same way moon goo is mined? With a POS. That's like, two problems solved at once. You can mine the same ore you get from a asteroid field in that specific system. You still take risk because tools will dec you and blow up your pos. And you don't have to spend hours looking at rocks. The only thing left to ponder over is what to do with the existing asteroid fields.
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#2 - 2012-05-29 21:14:59 UTC
If you changed the hulk tank to a tenth of what it is now then more people would be mining than ever as the price of minerals would go through the roof
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
AFK Hauler
State War Academy
#3 - 2012-05-29 21:48:14 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
... people always find new and creative ways to circumvent the system ...



Stopped reading there as it's not a violation of the rules to sandbox EVE.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-05-29 21:54:06 UTC  |  Edited by: TigerXtrm
AFK Hauler wrote:
Vicky Somers wrote:
... people always find new and creative ways to circumvent the system ...



Stopped reading there as it's not a violation of the rules to sandbox EVE.


Just because it's not currently a violation doesn't mean that it was originally planned to be possible. I don't think CCP forsaw people suicide ganking their ships when they designed the Concord mechanic, especially on this scale. So yeah, creative circumvention of the system would be an appropriate wording in this case.

Not that I'm against suicide ganking, I think it fits the sandbox playstyle as long as it doesn't actively exploit the game like it did with the old insurance system.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#5 - 2012-05-29 21:55:38 UTC
AFK Hauler wrote:
Stopped reading there as it's not a violation of the rules to sandbox EVE.


Did I say it is a violation of rules?
Ban Bindy
Bindy Brothers Pottery Association
True Reign
#6 - 2012-05-29 21:56:23 UTC
OP is missing the point. Mining is designed to provide easy targets for those who have no way of finding anything else to shoot. Mining is designed to make victims. It's a feature.
Rengerel en Distel
#7 - 2012-05-29 22:00:25 UTC
I had suggested in F&I to make mining an addition to PI, and it was blasted by everyone that responded. For whatever reason, they have no problem with PI and moon mining being processes you could do without being logged in, but not mining. I don't know if it was simply gankers posting not wanting to lose their easy targets, or what really.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#8 - 2012-05-29 22:00:33 UTC
Uhm i dont understand are you a butthurt miner or a butthurt person because mineral prices are going up?

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

Renn Aldard
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-05-29 22:04:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Renn Aldard
I'm a miner. Never been ganked. Never taken any sort of defensive measures to counter ganking. People complaining on the forum give us a bad rep.
Price Check Aisle3
#10 - 2012-05-29 22:04:43 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
There is a difference between being a carebear and being stupid.

lol
  • Karl Hobb IATS
Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#11 - 2012-05-29 22:06:45 UTC
lanyaie wrote:
Uhm i dont understand are you a butthurt miner or a butthurt person because mineral prices are going up?


I'm butthurd because of the sambal soaked dönner kebab I ate yesterday. My point is... if I ever had one. I don't know. Mining was a ******** concept from the start. People who do it and get ganked don't belong in Eve. And I see much tear potential in the "heavy duty" gankers who act like they're doing something special here.

Moon mining is a great idea. Just like PI but with more work involved and a good risk factor.
Renn Aldard
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-05-29 22:08:41 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
lanyaie wrote:
Uhm i dont understand are you a butthurt miner or a butthurt person because mineral prices are going up?


I'm butthurd because of the sambal soaked dönner kebab I ate yesterday. My point is... if I ever had one. I don't know. Mining was a ******** concept from the start. People who do it and get ganked don't belong in Eve. And I see much tear potential in the "heavy duty" gankers who act like they're doing something special here.

Moon mining is a great idea. Just like PI but with more work involved and a good risk factor.


But just to clarify, people who do it and don't get ganked are fine, right?
Mongo Edwards
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-05-29 22:11:27 UTC
Lots of gankers don't travel very far from major/minor hubs. In the systems I mine in I've seen a single ganker all month.

To be creative I recently was involved in a mining fleet made up of 3 BS and an Orca. Even more boring than hulk mining since I have to empty my cargo every 30 seconds but still fairly profitable and much more lulz worthy.
Ditra Vorthran
Caldari Imports and Exports
#14 - 2012-05-29 22:32:32 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
From what I've seen most just go: stay docked. Very few actually bother to come up with a strategy or tactic to deny a gank or in some way circumvent death. The sheer amount of barges lost and the amount of barges lost owned by the same pilots... it shames all of us. There is a difference between being a carebear and being stupid.


If there was a way to defend yourself, I would agree. As things are right now, there is no way for miners to properly defend themselves. Even the best tanked solo Hulk only has 30k-40k EHP. Five to six (maybe less) well armed destroyers could kill before CONCORD arrives. Even with a logi ship, what’s to stop the gankers from including the logi in that attack? They aren’t tanked much better.

There really is no proper defense.

Vicky Somers wrote:
The more I think about this, the more I realize that mining really does need to change. Mining is sitting in a very fragile, bulky ship that shoots lasers and slowly fills up the hull with space rock that can be refined into minerals to make money with in an array of different ways.


Agreed, absolutely. Although something to remember: minerals don’t make money, they add value. A small but fundamental point. The only people to add money to this game are missioners and ratters.

"Miners mine so I don't have to." ~Metal Icarus

Mistah Ewedynao
Ice Axe Psycho Killers
#15 - 2012-05-29 22:38:40 UTC
How about a dual purpose command ship as an escort?

Could do some repping and provide a big boost to shield resistance as well.

Nerf Goons

Nuke em from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.

Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#16 - 2012-05-29 22:47:59 UTC
Ditra Vorthran wrote:
If there was a way to defend yourself, I would agree. As things are right now, there is no way for miners to properly defend themselves. Even the best tanked solo Hulk only has 30k-40k EHP. Five to six (maybe less) well armed destroyers could kill before CONCORD arrives. Even with a logi ship, what’s to stop the gankers from including the logi in that attack? They aren’t tanked much better.

There really is no proper defense..


So don't mine in a Hulk and don't mine alone. You sound like a pretty intelligent person, yet you fail when you say that there is no defense. Bring an orca, dock up. Bring ewar. Bring a Rokh with smartbombs. Bring amberlamps. Do something.

I guess the answer here is obvious. Once people start thinking creatively on how to defend themselves during mining, they realize that mining is gay and go do some pew pewing themselves.

Mistah Ewedynao wrote:
How about a dual purpose command ship as an escort?

Could do some repping and provide a big boost to shield resistance as well.


See, this is the problem right there. Whenever someone comes up with a smart tactic, you people want CCP to give you some epic ship that will solve everything at the push of a button.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#17 - 2012-05-29 22:55:13 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
See, this is the problem right there. Whenever someone comes up with a smart tactic, you people want CCP to give you some epic ship that will solve everything at the push of a button.

The most common response I've heard are buff hulk tank or CONCORD, not a whole new ship, though.

But I guess they want something like a high-sec capable rorqural?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Mistah Ewedynao
Ice Axe Psycho Killers
#18 - 2012-05-29 22:57:33 UTC
Read what I typed, not what you want to see.

I said escort, not a new mining ship you ganktards.

Nerf Goons

Nuke em from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.

Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#19 - 2012-05-29 22:58:49 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
The most common response I've heard are buff hulk tank or CONCORD, not a whole new ship, though.

But I guess they want something like a high-sec capable rorqural?


You must not visit the suggestions forum often. They've been coming up with these god awful carrier sized, high sec capable indy ships that do everything for years. Then they got the Orca and don't use it. I'm really curious on the statistical use of an Orca. I bet half of them are used for support in WH ops or other non mining stuff.
Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#20 - 2012-05-29 23:01:27 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
See, this is the problem right there. Whenever someone comes up with a smart tactic, you people want CCP to give you some epic ship that will solve everything at the push of a button.


Yep, like epic one shot on defenceless mining barges because hunting Tengus is too hard Lol

Indeed, it's so epic as failure. Like naming the highest risk zone in the game "high sec", or Concord/police reaction Lol

But makes me have fun watching all the mess and how people react from both sides, very interesting.

brb

123Next page