These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Unified Inventory Changes

First post First post First post
Author
Jebediah MacAhab Dallocort
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1141 - 2012-05-27 03:42:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Jebediah MacAhab Dallocort
Rammix wrote:
I think all whining, yelling, brick-shitting about new inventory can be stopped by just 3 improvements in functionality:

Custom folders for any types of containers (in the tree);
Container state memory - by type and name;
Exporting of folder and filter settings to file.
Everybody's happy.

For prolonged euphoria: inventory settings window for detailed customization.

No, the tree itself takes up a shitload of screen real estate, the multiwindow functionality is broken (and needed for effective looting and folder management), and the whole goddamn thing is buggier than a month-old corpse.

E: Shooting Jita monument out of boredom

How to Improve Quality Assurance at CCP

Professional Programmer, DBA, Game Developer and Systems Analyst

Stealthy
New Eden Ninja Mining Consortium
#1142 - 2012-05-27 04:52:13 UTC
ok if your at a POS built into a Deathstar -yopu have about 100 weapons with bays listed individually

they need to telescope into a single line item on the tree

renaming will allow the names to mean something when reloading is done

be nice to group all the weapons of differing types based on where they are located around the bubble up, down, the 4 positions around the midline of the bubble.

And when did CCP start CREATING lag -upon bootup I have to wait about 60 sec to have my ships hold to be viewable

I think the idea is interesting but this manifestation from a users ease of use sucks ass at best reserving judgement till I mine but cant imagine hauling for a mining group with this interface
E6o5
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1143 - 2012-05-27 04:56:46 UTC
Idea What happens if each of the 1000+ players puts a blue can in front of jita 4-4?
Blutomus Maximus
Interstellar Piggeries inc
#1144 - 2012-05-27 05:36:45 UTC
Am I the only one who is having trouble even reading the inventory index on the left side? Why the hell is the text so faint? It's bad enough that I have to wait for everything I own to load when I just want to check my cargo, but having to squint and move the window so that the background doesn't obscure the print is really pissing me off. Is there a way around this?
khalsou
Grumpy Grumps
#1145 - 2012-05-27 06:52:41 UTC
Problem I have is same as everyone that replied before me.

In space doing mission, retrieve prisoners from point A, drop them in cargo container at point B in space.
open wreck, loot all, warp to drop point, open inventory, scroll down to find item, open drop cargo container..damn my cargo gone, expand and resize inventory click on my corgo hold, grab item, drag to opened cargo container where it needs to be dropped in.

this takes time and gets annoying after while

other point, accept mission where you need to take item with you, item is dropped in item hangar but now that item hangar is not visible in station it gets easly forgotten to bring along, 1 jump to return is annoying think when it is about 5 jumps, time for expiring mission bonus is counting

cargo from wreck now you have to loot all and sort out later or open inventory resize so you can drag and drop but same time blocking the game view in space.

inventory system does not remember the settings, container in station is set as unlocked and when drop something in container it is locked everytime, the window where you can check the items in, I drop it down and everytime the inventory window opens it is back up

Ama Zing
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1146 - 2012-05-27 07:49:02 UTC
As I've said before:

Arrow Transfer the new inventory functionality to the assets window. There and only there it makes sence.

Arrow Get the old inventory window code from the backups and transfer it as smart as possible to a "new" inventory

Question Shouldn't be hard to do, should it?

I would like to see a more active discussion from your side, CCP. You leave the playerbase in "unknown" space and try to extinguish thousands of fires burning down EVE. Talk to us – we are still here. Ignore us and you stand alone with your monthly bills.

cheers Ama Zing

Bim bo
SOMESOWHATTHEF
#1147 - 2012-05-27 07:59:03 UTC
use the old inventory with the the changes like renaming pos mods ull get a better and optimized thing,
just because u investet time in a new thing and it proberly was expensive in man hour,
doesent mean u have to implement it when it clearly isnt better then the old system.
Admit u fail'ed and say my bad then every one can move on and enjoy the game we use to like.
New inventory made me not wanting 2 log in 2 days this week plz fix this issue for every ones sake .

Hmm proberly should have filed a stuck petition on this
anyways new inventory is beond fixing upgrading old would be much better
Ribikoka
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1148 - 2012-05-27 08:03:45 UTC
Ribikoka wrote:
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Ribikoka wrote:
WE want a clear answer from CCP!!!

This inventory system will be part of the Dust 514 ? This is why they dont want to change it and roll back the old one ?
This inventory system need for console controllers ???

We want a direct answer.

No, Dust will be getting its own inventory system specifically tailored for that game. This revamp was not made for Dust 514.

If not to Dust 514 for what ? What there is in the background ? Because if not need for any changes for other game part, nobody would insist on this inventory push through against the opposite players. What is the real reason ? At least 90% of players hate this inventory. Why want CCP to push them to this inventory when CCP know that the worst subscriber is the dissatisfied subscriber ???
So many players will leave the game, why good for this for CCP ? Nonsense.
And check those ugly new amarrian ships, man who want to flight a darkbrown sh*t colored ship ?

Still didn't got the answers.
Peter Drakon
Luminaire Traders and Builders
#1149 - 2012-05-27 08:33:00 UTC
@Soundwave: the index (tree) panel width is % based, thus when you resize the inventory the index panel width changes too. Maybe it's just me, but I set it to a specific size, so I can read everything I want to. When I resize the inventory I'd like the tree to remain the same width I have set it before.

@Players: reverting back is not going to happen, that can not be done in a way it would make any sense. I know it sounds so easy: "revert the code back!". It is not, and never has been easy; not on a codebase this size and complex. However they can change the inventroy, they can go forward, and shape it how you ask them to. That they have not changed it before release based on the sisi feedback was a huge mistake, but it can not be undone now. They have apologized for that, now they have to move forward. It is time for you too to do the same, either way.
Callidus Dux
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1150 - 2012-05-27 08:36:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Callidus Dux
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Mentet wrote:
Strange how CCP have gone very quiet.

It's the weekend, we won't be able to reply at the same pace as we can during the weekdays.

In general though, I'll happily push changes to the inventory out every single week until we're happy. That's something I don't think we've ever done before, but if that's what it takes to make this good, then so be it.

Than you should start with the ability to drag every possible window out ouf the now existting unified UI. The majority of the gamers do not like the idea to have all these windows "unified" into one. Lets rupture the UI into several windows. WITHOUT any "shift+click" or "shift+shortcut".

To break down the main demand: Let us rebuild the old 'hundreds of windows' UI- 100% and 1 to 1 in its funktion to the previous version of the UI (before 22.05.2012) WITHOUT any shortcuts. EVERY settings of this UI MUST BE stored at CCP's server in order to prevent the need of doing this work/setup again on every further installation of EVE or other computer systems.

My personal claim is: Let CCP Arrow and CCP Optimal write a devblog where they have to explain themself. They must explain, why they have ingored the whole feedback from the SiSi testers. Why they have thrown established elements from the UI overboard and replaced it with such a horrible-non functional ... 'all I can say is' crap.

And please stop opening further threads "How should we improve the UI". At this point of development; we have more threads about the UI itself, than available windows in the unified UI.

You have your feedback, stop asking over and over again. Act according the feedback. Implement the old UI code into the new one or compile the old UI with the new code. How you will do this is irrelevant to me. But as it is.. I currently I log only in to check some market orders and have a look into the contracts. Sometimes I let my ship spin too. But bring back the old UI and let me enjoy this game again. You can be lucky that you have got my money for my two accounts recently. But be sure that I am ABSOLUT NOT WILLED to learn this new UI crap. Before this will happen.. I will show EVE my back and wait, till CCP has learnd its lesson (again).

More than 4 years continued subscription - but now your 'INFERNO' has extinguished my fire for EVE.
Dessloch Darkdust
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1151 - 2012-05-27 08:38:13 UTC
Please restore the original inventory system, this new is too complicated and hard to handle. The old was easy to use and polished.

Death is only the beginning...

Mirana Nymias
CEC Group
#1152 - 2012-05-27 08:41:22 UTC
Dessloch Darkdust wrote:
Please restore the original inventory system, this new is too complicated and hard to handle. The old was easy to use and polished.

Pretty much this.
Davina Sienar
The Misinterpretation of Silence
#1153 - 2012-05-27 08:42:20 UTC
And I still bet its a pet-project of some treelover Dev, that went live, cause of
"daddydaddy but I realy do want to hav some tree in EVE" (even if I don't play the game)

Remeber first attempt to put some tree menue into the game ?
... bookmarks in space ? remember ? all of a sudden we been forced to use a rightklickpulldownmenu with kinda tree
to find the Instaundock BM again ?

u got flamed for that already and had to rollback, cause it was just stupid as can bee

just get it: EvE is a Game, not your coding / programming desktop. It does not need any wannabe win7 optics
Callidus Dux
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1154 - 2012-05-27 08:42:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Callidus Dux
Peter Drakon wrote:

@Players: reverting back is not going to happen, that can not be done in a way it would make any sense. I know it sounds so easy: "revert the code back!". It is not, and never has been easy; not on a codebase this size and complex. However they can change the inventroy, they can go forward, and shape it how you ask them to. That they have not changed it before release based on the sisi feedback was a huge mistake, but it can not be undone now. They have apologized for that, now they have to move forward. It is time for you too to do the same, either way.

But for sure! REbuild the old UI with the new CODE. This may take time but is possible. What once was present can be there again.
You can build the body of a ball pen out of plastic; wood, metal or what else. Different materials but always the same function.
Just compile the code!
Jebediah MacAhab Dallocort
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1155 - 2012-05-27 08:45:19 UTC
Peter Drakon wrote:

But it is easy. They have a goddamn version control system, all they have to do is git checkout CRUCIBLE_1_2_3 or whatever they tagged it. If they were dumb and didn't tag it, they can still look at their commit log.

How to Improve Quality Assurance at CCP

Professional Programmer, DBA, Game Developer and Systems Analyst

Trox Aeze
MILLITECH
#1156 - 2012-05-27 08:56:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Trox Aeze
Kblackjack54 wrote:
All joking aside here, it is my belief that the problem with the Unified inventory system is not the system itself but CCP's developers inability to understand why this system is not suitable for EVE play.

Each aspect of game play in EVE is governed by a series of requirements regarding the layout and amount of information presented to the player at any given moment.
A request for the contents of a ships cargo hold, a can or both are two separate sets of inter-actable information which the player could under the old system modify at will to suit there own particular game play requirements, they could also add or subtract at will information they did not need in that context again at will.

This gave the player's usability of the inventory system under all aspects of game play such as ratting, mining, PoS, Station work and many others not mentioned and it is the loss of this total flexibility that has angered so many players.

In return CCP has issued an inventory system that does not fit the requirements of game play as players actually play EVE which gives rise to the idea that CCP actually do not know or understand
the multiple use profiles that players employ when playing the game.

There frank announcement that they will not revert this system under any circumstances even though players have expressed a requirement that they do so, explained in detail why they need this and how bad they feel about yet again being ignored is a further indication of the depth of the divide between CCP and the players of EVE.

This I feel is a sad indictment of CCP, it's Developers and Management were the ego of a few members of that once close knit team is doing in reality terminal damage to there product.

As a direct result of this latest mess and the realisation that CCP has not got it's house in order in reality on any level my decision is to compress my accounts as early as I can and pay for the residual with Plex and not credit card as I do now, in other words you are not getting paid for failure.

Since this update again as a direct result of this inventory system being forced into game my game play has become stunted, tedious, uninteresting and reduced to a minimum required for skill changing and PoS servicing from which I will pay for the Plex required for a single account rather than four cash paid accounts I currently run.

It is from this vantage point I shall watch with interest as CCP developers slowly roast and die in the fire of there product INFERNO.

LONG LIVE SONY.

This post pretty much sums it up.

The new UI it terrible for us in industrialists/logistics roles.
You stumble around and looking for what you need and them hoping you moved it to the correct place, forcing you to recheck.
Having to go through many actions to open up a new window is in no way a improvement.

This Inventory UI might be pretty and stuff, but it simply doesn't work for how we play eve.
(I dont know how CCP thinks we play this game, but this is not how)
We need fast and easy access to multiple windows.
If you want to clean up the right clicky window on ships, you could have started with removing: Activate/Stop Autopilot, Change Name on Ship and Remove 'shiptype' from Overview.

Remove this frigging UI or let us have the option of changing to the classic system that has worked so well for us the past 9 years.
Mafia Matt
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1157 - 2012-05-27 09:10:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Mafia Matt
In all honesty CCP doesn't seem to have the mentality of "its not broken, theres no need to fix it". As a result we have ended up with a new inventory that is not only rediculously complex, but they missed what they aimed at doing, making peoples lives easier with a user friendly UI.

The changes mean that refitting caps at a pos is 10x more difficult, not only that, but now if you own the pos, you get lag when opening the inventory as it loads every single pos gun/corp hanger/ship maintenance array at the pos plus the ship maintenance array, corp hanger and drone bay on your own capital, . So not only is it not user friendly, it is also now lag inducing.

Also what was the thinking behind your ship dissapearing from your ship hanger when you board it. I know that its because that its your active ship, however there is no reasonable reason for it dissapearing from the ship hanger as well, for those that want to keep some of the usability of the old system.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old system of inventory, what I don't understand is why the old system couldn't have been polished and updated, instead of a new and completely pointless new inventory system In all honesty, I wouldn't mind this new system for assets/corp assets window etc. However as the main thing for ships/hanger etc it is clunky and unuser friendly

Hopefully Soundwave can elaborate on some of the points made here,
Makaganti
Doomheim
#1158 - 2012-05-27 09:19:36 UTC
Come on Goons take up arms and fuk with ccp on behalf of all eve subscribers Twisted

With Unity there is Power

Peter Drakon
#1159 - 2012-05-27 09:28:58 UTC
Callidus Dux wrote:

But for sure! REbuild the old UI with the new CODE. This may take time but is possible. What once was present can be there again.
Just compile the code!

I said done in a sensible way, what you suggest may take many weeks, maybe one or two month to do so. In that time they can do many improvments to the new.
Peter Drakon
#1160 - 2012-05-27 09:30:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Peter Drakon
Jebediah MacAhab Dallocort wrote:

But it is easy. They have a goddamn version control system, all they have to do is git checkout CRUCIBLE_1_2_3 or whatever they tagged it. If they were dumb and didn't tag it, they can still look at their commit log.

And revert the whole database with your progress on the last week, your wealth, your skill points? The missile effects and the wardec system and everything they released?