These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

New dev blog: Spaceship Murder Notifications

First post First post
Author
CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#101 - 2012-04-25 15:59:42 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
BeanBagKing wrote:
Two requests:

1) For killmail time, please go to seconds, I think this one should be reasonable?
2) I've been told this is less reasonable, but having X,Y,Z coordinates of where in the system the kill took place would be awesome. Give us that and I'm confident the players will find amazing things to do with it.

I like it a lot better than the current killmails though!
why do you need the seconds? I'm just curiousBig smile

the x,y,z stuff is also something we don't have available yet but maybe sometime in the future
I really also want to know why seconds are important. Big smile

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Kaylen Vimanis
#102 - 2012-04-25 15:59:49 UTC
Marcel Devereux wrote:

What can we bribe you with to add the kill report to the Combat Log everyone that was involved (and their corp too)?

If you are looking for more features it would be nice to also show graphs of incoming DPS over time to the kill report. That graph should also mark when EWAR effects begin and end. It should be zoomable too.


I really like this idea, because in the same way with damage received, you can have damage repaired from logistics and that is how you could incorporate logistics in the kill report.

I know it doesn't show damage repaired in the logs, if it does then i haven't noticed, but if it did show it, then pairing the logs with the report is a step in the direction of having complete battlereports.

Rather than having logistics complications of who was repairing whom and having to completely redesign the KR in future, you could have the logisitics pilots listed on the reports much like now with overall damage repaired from whomever was shooting at the target, or just however much the logi pilot repaired.

So if pilot A is shooting pilot B, and pilot C is repairing pilot A. Pilot B dies and a KR is produced, whether B was doing damage to pilot A or not, the KR will show pilot C in the KR doing however much points of repairs as opposed to damage, but will not show who C was repairing to prevent massively over complex KRs.

I’m a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.

Fade Toblack
Per.ly
The 20 Minuters
#103 - 2012-04-25 16:05:54 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
I really also want to know why seconds are important. Big smile


Already replies - if you kill 5 ships within the same minute - what order did they die in?
Fiona Hellkitten
Mistress Fiona's School for Naughty Girls
#104 - 2012-04-25 16:06:52 UTC
Really this change is pretty bleh.

If killboards where integrated into eve/eve-gate, that would be useful and good. This is just half-assed and so it's ultimately useless.

The killmails, or reports if you prefer, are still only showing you kills you get the final blow for. In order to be useful or worthwhile, it'd have to show all mails you were on, and scale up for corp and alliances. Then you can simply use eve/eve-gate for your killboard needs. A killboard that updates instantly, covers all of eve, and is always accurate? That would be fantastic. No doubt people will still maintain killboards, but they wouldn't be necessary anymore.

Since this will still only show the mails you get the final blow for, it's still limited to the point of uselessness. And the only reason you're going into the window will STILL be just so you can copy the information and post it to a REAL killboard.

If the combat log tab stays the same, and you only see this new crap when you choose to and open up a kill's details, then I don't care. Otherwise, it's all being redesigned and this is another crappy new graphical "feature" being forced upon us, I'm going to hate this. The new graphics and crap will just make it slower to load, use more resources, and take up more screen-room when you open it, which will suck because the only reason you are opening it is so you can get the text data you need to update a real killboard.

If you want to do something useful, integrate killboards for real. If you're going to do useless fluff like this, fine, but allow me the option to keep things the way they are, because I don't need or want more graphical clutter. I like minimalist setup. For example, the compact lists in chats was like the best feature ever.
Mentorm
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#105 - 2012-04-25 16:10:51 UTC
I can't wait to collect my...

KILLREPS
Marcel Devereux
Aideron Robotics
#106 - 2012-04-25 16:10:53 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:
BeanBagKing wrote:
Two requests:

1) For killmail time, please go to seconds, I think this one should be reasonable?
2) I've been told this is less reasonable, but having X,Y,Z coordinates of where in the system the kill took place would be awesome. Give us that and I'm confident the players will find amazing things to do with it.

I like it a lot better than the current killmails though!
why do you need the seconds? I'm just curiousBig smile

the x,y,z stuff is also something we don't have available yet but maybe sometime in the future
I really also want to know why seconds are important. Big smile


When generating battle reports on kill boards it would be useful to see the order in which things were killed.
CCP Masterplan
C C P
C C P Alliance
#107 - 2012-04-25 16:14:06 UTC
Lord FunkyMunky wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:
Lord FunkyMunky wrote:
Echo Mande wrote:
Will you also get a report if you selfdestruct?

Properly linkable and extractable to a kill (or loss) board?


I really hope there adding this with this new system, the whole supers self destructing crap needs to spawn a killmail if it has active damage from people within the last X time or since the last jump whatever


we didn't change any behavior of kills except add the total loss value and give the UI facelift



any chance you guys can sneak it in its pretty much said at fanfest that self destruct escaping a kill report is utterly bad practice and sad that it can't be reported in kill format since the self destruct invalidated all that enemy fleets damage.

This is definitely something that we (Team Five-0) want to get done. It won't be part of the initial Inferno release, but could happen later in the year, along with some other tweaks to self-destruct.

Getting xyz coords on the kill is also on our list. I've seen some nice mockups of what could done on killboards with this information, especially when it comes to producing a 'timelapse' display of a particularly spectacular fight. I want to give you the data to make this happen.

Which leads me to increasing the precision of timestamps to include seconds: This isn't straightforward due to the reports being generated in the background in batches. This is why there is sometimes a short delay where everyone in fleet is asking 'Who got the mail?' for up to a minute until it gets processed. It isn't impossible for us to make this happen, but it also isn't as simple as just adding a seconds column to the timestamp. The batching means there's always an inherent error of +/-60s, and that is what needs to be resolved.

"This one time, on patch day..."

@ccp_masterplan  |  Team Five-0: Rewriting the law

Jack bubu
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#108 - 2012-04-25 16:14:19 UTC
Fiona Hellkitten wrote:
Really this change is pretty bleh.

If killboards where integrated into eve/eve-gate, that would be useful and good. This is just half-assed and so it's ultimately useless.

The killmails, or reports if you prefer, are still only showing you kills you get the final blow for. In order to be useful or worthwhile, it'd have to show all mails you were on, and scale up for corp and alliances. Then you can simply use eve/eve-gate for your killboard needs. A killboard that updates instantly, covers all of eve, and is always accurate? That would be fantastic. No doubt people will still maintain killboards, but they wouldn't be necessary anymore.

Since this will still only show the mails you get the final blow for, it's still limited to the point of uselessness. And the only reason you're going into the window will STILL be just so you can copy the information and post it to a REAL killboard.

If the combat log tab stays the same, and you only see this new crap when you choose to and open up a kill's details, then I don't care. Otherwise, it's all being redesigned and this is another crappy new graphical "feature" being forced upon us, I'm going to hate this. The new graphics and crap will just make it slower to load, use more resources, and take up more screen-room when you open it, which will suck because the only reason you are opening it is so you can get the text data you need to update a real killboard.

If you want to do something useful, integrate killboards for real. If you're going to do useless fluff like this, fine, but allow me the option to keep things the way they are, because I don't need or want more graphical clutter. I like minimalist setup. For example, the compact lists in chats was like the best feature ever.


I disagree instant updating killboards is bad, if neither of the killer or the victim choose to post a killmail its their choice.
Junko Sideswipe
Love Squad
#109 - 2012-04-25 16:15:47 UTC
I took another look back at the devblog by CCP SoniClover here and the image that was posted here as a mockup of the new system. Now this first mockup is pretty much a direct facelift of the current system we have with EDK, and the new concept posted by CCP Punkturis is a very nicely slimmed down version (credit to whoever was on that job, someone in the art/design team?) to make it look less confusing to the average player.

This is great, and everyone is going to have their own little quips about it, and you can't please everyone. However myself and I'm sure others would still like to see that you still include the "Involved Parties" area which contains a list of the corporations involved with their total player counts in some shape or form. The reason for this is because when you have joint operations between some type of allied force, it's important in hindsight to see how many players are representing their corporations/alliances and participating in an operation. If however you are also planning on including a greater battle report feature at some point, I suppose the "Involved Parties" list would be made obsolete.

PIZZA CEO

CCP Punkturis
C C P
C C P Alliance
#110 - 2012-04-25 16:16:52 UTC
Fiona Hellkitten wrote:
If the combat log tab stays the same, and you only see this new crap when you choose to and open up a kill's details, then I don't care.

yeah it stays the same so you don't have to look at the "crappy new graphical "feature" being forced upon" you

Fiona Hellkitten wrote:

For example, the compact lists in chats was like the best feature ever.

you're welcomeBlink

♥ EVE Brogrammer ♥ Team Five 0 ♥ @CCP_Punkturis

Jemiria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#111 - 2012-04-25 16:18:27 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
I really also want to know why seconds are important. Big smile

Some players like to analyze in detail how a particular engagement went. timing can be essential, as is the precise order of things. rounded of to the minute really destoys the resolution you want to understand exacty what happened; how effects and actions are orchestrated.
perhaps you should ask CCP Veritas about this subject ;)
Marcel Devereux
Aideron Robotics
#112 - 2012-04-25 16:19:17 UTC
Jack bubu wrote:
Fiona Hellkitten wrote:
Really this change is pretty bleh.

If killboards where integrated into eve/eve-gate, that would be useful and good. This is just half-assed and so it's ultimately useless.

The killmails, or reports if you prefer, are still only showing you kills you get the final blow for. In order to be useful or worthwhile, it'd have to show all mails you were on, and scale up for corp and alliances. Then you can simply use eve/eve-gate for your killboard needs. A killboard that updates instantly, covers all of eve, and is always accurate? That would be fantastic. No doubt people will still maintain killboards, but they wouldn't be necessary anymore.

Since this will still only show the mails you get the final blow for, it's still limited to the point of uselessness. And the only reason you're going into the window will STILL be just so you can copy the information and post it to a REAL killboard.

If the combat log tab stays the same, and you only see this new crap when you choose to and open up a kill's details, then I don't care. Otherwise, it's all being redesigned and this is another crappy new graphical "feature" being forced upon us, I'm going to hate this. The new graphics and crap will just make it slower to load, use more resources, and take up more screen-room when you open it, which will suck because the only reason you are opening it is so you can get the text data you need to update a real killboard.

If you want to do something useful, integrate killboards for real. If you're going to do useless fluff like this, fine, but allow me the option to keep things the way they are, because I don't need or want more graphical clutter. I like minimalist setup. For example, the compact lists in chats was like the best feature ever.


I disagree instant updating killboards is bad, if neither of the killer or the victim choose to post a killmail its their choice.


It's not up to you it is up to CONCORD and the Insurance companies. There are regulations in place for you to receive your insurance payout.
CCP Tuxford
C C P
C C P Alliance
#113 - 2012-04-25 16:20:16 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:

yeah it stays the same so you don't have to look at the "crappy new graphical \"feature\" being forced upon" you

fixed your syntax

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/CCP%20Tuxford/StatusUpdates

CCP Punkturis
C C P
C C P Alliance
#114 - 2012-04-25 16:20:38 UTC
Junko Sideswipe wrote:
I took another look back at the devblog by CCP SoniClover here and the image that was posted here as a mockup of the new system. Now this first mockup is pretty much a direct facelift of the current system we have with EDK, and the new concept posted by CCP Punkturis is a very nicely slimmed down version (credit to whoever was on that job, someone in the art/design team?) to make it look less confusing to the average player..


This is pretty much how we do UI around here. A UI designer (CCP Sharq is on Team Super Friends but we also get assistance from CCP Arrow from Team Game of Drones) makes a fantasy mock up based on what the game designers want, and then we iterate on it a billion times until we get something that we both looks nice and is functional aaaand is technically possible to make (there we often have to involve the server programmers, hi Tuxford!) Big smile

♥ EVE Brogrammer ♥ Team Five 0 ♥ @CCP_Punkturis

CCP Punkturis
C C P
C C P Alliance
#115 - 2012-04-25 16:21:20 UTC
CCP Tuxford wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

yeah it stays the same so you don't have to look at the "crappy new graphical \"feature\" being forced upon" you

fixed your syntax


thanks, you're a broBlink

♥ EVE Brogrammer ♥ Team Five 0 ♥ @CCP_Punkturis

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#116 - 2012-04-25 16:24:55 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
55th! :D
CCP Punkturis sniped you for #55!

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Winterbliss
ANZAC ALLIANCE
DARKNESS.
#117 - 2012-04-25 16:26:03 UTC
I love CCP Punkturis xD
CCP Paradox
#118 - 2012-04-25 16:26:19 UTC
Jemiria wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
I really also want to know why seconds are important. Big smile

Some players like to analyze in detail how a particular engagement went. timing can be essential, as is the precise order of things. rounded of to the minute really destoys the resolution you want to understand exacty what happened; how effects and actions are orchestrated.
perhaps you should ask CCP Veritas about this subject ;)


You should see CCP Masterplan's reply above.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1190575#post1190575

Basically current killmails are not 100% accurate when it comes to the seconds.

CCP Paradox | EVE QA | Team Phenomenon

Space Magician

Andrea Griffin
#119 - 2012-04-25 16:28:34 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
Fiona Hellkitten wrote:
For example, the compact lists in chats was like the best feature ever.
you're welcomeBlink
I'd like to second this. The compact list, as simple a feature though it may seem, has been a HUGE improvement for me and many others.
CCP Punkturis
C C P
C C P Alliance
#120 - 2012-04-25 16:30:26 UTC
Andrea Griffin wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:
Fiona Hellkitten wrote:
For example, the compact lists in chats was like the best feature ever.
you're welcomeBlink
I'd like to second this. The compact list, as simple a feature though it may seem, has been a HUGE improvement for me and many others.


I know! it's my own personal little thing I've made, that and the filtering in the skills listBlink

♥ EVE Brogrammer ♥ Team Five 0 ♥ @CCP_Punkturis