These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Playstation 4

Author
Lakutus Borg
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-03-31 10:02:56 UTC
Right now the information about ps4 is out and confirmed rumors about u cant play ps3 games on the new rig. Release date is 2013 what ive read so far.

So my question is this: What will happen to dust 514 if they are planing to evolve and improve the game as they do with EvE then they will in the future have to move from ps3 to ps4 and above. How will this be solved ?


link: http://playstation4.net/ps4-codenamed-orbis-full-details-on-playstation-4-1689
Serene Repose
#2 - 2012-03-31 10:08:01 UTC
Could we move this to the children's section? Thanks.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Lord Publow
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-03-31 10:11:42 UTC
Brother Borg, thank you for delivering this news to me. So long have I been waiting for a 4th version of a tool which can station my play.

I fight for Hoovers everywhere. http://hoover.com/

Yoma Karima
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-03-31 10:12:42 UTC
This would explain why MYACs are comeing out for Dust in 2013 but to answer your question its actualy very simple to jump Dust from a PS3 to an PS4 down lode its sort of like jumping PC generations. a few tweaks hear and there and you good to go.

Those who wish to end War wish to end what it means to be human. Those who advocate War do not know its power. Yet Those who learn from War will be remembered for all time.

Danfen Fenix
#5 - 2012-03-31 10:14:54 UTC
It wont be hard to make it work on PS4...

Im sure sony will/have already provided them with at least details on the framework etc so thye can make adjustments when needed P They have already said that they will port Dust 514 to PS4 if/when the time comes, as well as keep up support for PS3 until it dies.
Kai Tel
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-03-31 11:16:19 UTC
I don't understand enough about how DUST is put together to really form an opinion. Is it disc reliant? In that case they may have an issue selling the game again... If it's entirely downloadable to the next gen console's drive it will be a non issue.
Reiisha
#7 - 2012-03-31 12:20:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Reiisha
All information about the PS4 is a hoax. The console is still in a concept phase, there is nothing known about it even to Sony themselves.

Since it's been so long since the current consoles have been introduced, a lot of people have been trying to create rumors about new ones. Neither the new xbox nor the new playstation is anywhere near close to a release - You won't hear ANYTHING about either untill the end of next year at the earliest.

Kind of interesting to see how many people are so gullible that they'll accept any 'rumor' as fact.



Sony will not repeat the MASSIVE mistake they made with the PS3 - No backwards compatability. It's what lost them a LOT of money in it's early years. The PS3 only started making a profit in 2011 - Sony will not be replacing it any time soon.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Reiisha
#8 - 2012-03-31 12:21:05 UTC
Kai Tel wrote:
I don't understand enough about how DUST is put together to really form an opinion. Is it disc reliant? In that case they may have an issue selling the game again... If it's entirely downloadable to the next gen console's drive it will be a non issue.


Dust will be download only for now, F2P.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Lakutus Borg
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-03-31 12:26:02 UTC
thx for the thoughts and what not :)
Justa Altlol
Doomheim
#10 - 2012-03-31 12:58:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Justa Altlol
Lakutus Borg wrote:
Right now the information about ps4 is out and confirmed rumors about u cant play ps3 games on the new rig. Release date is 2013 what ive read so far.

So my question is this: What will happen to dust 514 if they are planing to evolve and improve the game as they do with EvE then they will in the future have to move from ps3 to ps4 and above. How will this be solved ?


link: http://playstation4.net/ps4-codenamed-orbis-full-details-on-playstation-4-1689

If by "confirmed" you mean "crazy rumors from anonymous sources that directly contradict sony's goal of a 10 year life for the PS3" then sure. By the way, I have some beach front property in Kansas I'm selling dirt cheap. PM me for more info.
Selinate
#11 - 2012-03-31 13:50:21 UTC
They were never going to get away with a 10 year console life cycle. It's just ridiculous.

I mean FFS, look how far behind console games are opposed to PC games in terms of graphics, scale, etc. Even the makers of Uncharted came out and said that they won't make another game for the current generation of consoles because it can't satisfy their requirements, or something to this nature.

The PS3 right now doesn't even have 1 gig of ram. It's time for an update.
Lakutus Borg
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-03-31 14:36:53 UTC
Selinate wrote:
They were never going to get away with a 10 year console life cycle. It's just ridiculous.

I mean FFS, look how far behind console games are opposed to PC games in terms of graphics, scale, etc. Even the makers of Uncharted came out and said that they won't make another game for the current generation of consoles because it can't satisfy their requirements, or something to this nature.

The PS3 right now doesn't even have 1 gig of ram. It's time for an update.


RIGHT ON BROTHER ehh SISTER :P
Reiisha
#13 - 2012-03-31 19:27:02 UTC
Selinate wrote:
They were never going to get away with a 10 year console life cycle. It's just ridiculous.

I mean FFS, look how far behind console games are opposed to PC games in terms of graphics, scale, etc. Even the makers of Uncharted came out and said that they won't make another game for the current generation of consoles because it can't satisfy their requirements, or something to this nature.

The PS3 right now doesn't even have 1 gig of ram. It's time for an update.


Still sells like mad, same for the games made for it.

There's 0 financial reasons for Sony to set aside their current gaming cashcow and risk entering a dwindling market with an entirely new and unproven piece of hardware.

Sorry to dissappoint, but there won't be any new playstation soon.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Selinate
#14 - 2012-03-31 20:08:42 UTC
Reiisha wrote:


Still sells like mad, same for the games made for it.

There's 0 financial reasons for Sony to set aside their current gaming cashcow and risk entering a dwindling market with an entirely new and unproven piece of hardware.

Sorry to dissappoint, but there won't be any new playstation soon.


No, they don't still sell like mad. They've dropped by a huge amount

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/03/08/u-s-retail-video-game-sales-fell-20-in-february-from-yr-ago/
Justin Cody
War Firm
#15 - 2012-03-31 21:02:58 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
All information about the PS4 is a hoax. The console is still in a concept phase, there is nothing known about it even to Sony themselves.

Since it's been so long since the current consoles have been introduced, a lot of people have been trying to create rumors about new ones. Neither the new xbox nor the new playstation is anywhere near close to a release - You won't hear ANYTHING about either untill the end of next year at the earliest.

Kind of interesting to see how many people are so gullible that they'll accept any 'rumor' as fact.



Sony will not repeat the MASSIVE mistake they made with the PS3 - No backwards compatability. It's what lost them a LOT of money in it's early years. The PS3 only started making a profit in 2011 - Sony will not be replacing it any time soon.



You are wrong.

PS4 code name is Orbis, that is true. Whether or not it will be the actual system name we don't know.

fact 2: the hardware will be mainly AMD designed, CPU and GPU both. This may present some challenges for CCP because their graphics systems are optimized for Nvidia. Hopefully they will be able to transition an or get proper support by then. They will be eliminating backwards compatibility for their own sake. If you want to play the old games keep your old system. Duh. PS# has a 10 year lifetime they have said and they will be transitioning to a new platform.
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#16 - 2012-03-31 21:04:12 UTC
Selinate wrote:
Reiisha wrote:


Still sells like mad, same for the games made for it.

There's 0 financial reasons for Sony to set aside their current gaming cashcow and risk entering a dwindling market with an entirely new and unproven piece of hardware.

Sorry to dissappoint, but there won't be any new playstation soon.


No, they don't still sell like mad. They've dropped by a huge amount

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/03/08/u-s-retail-video-game-sales-fell-20-in-february-from-yr-ago/



I agree and his argument fails on the simple fact that Sony has kept making PSP for 8years? When they should have learnt by now to stop Lol
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#17 - 2012-03-31 22:41:39 UTC
Selinate wrote:


dewd...they took one month and compared it to the previous month a year ago.

That one month nothing came out with a $100 million marketing budget...like CoD or BF3 or GTA...great way to completely miss the point, forbes.

PS4 is not due to be released until Q4 2014 east, Q1 2015 west, Q2 2015 Europe - with major 'killer-app' titles due Q4 2015 and in time for the silly season.

That was the last I heard, that was from Sony, that was the plan.

Besides...as it's been said: all of the PS3's in existence will not spontaneously combust the nanosecond the PS4 drops into stores - there are millions of them out there, millions, and they will be there for years.

AK

This space for rent.

2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#18 - 2012-03-31 22:55:04 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
Selinate wrote:


dewd...they took one month and compared it to the previous month a year ago.

That one month nothing came out with a $100 million marketing budget...like CoD or BF3 or GTA...great way to completely miss the point, forbes.

PS4 is not due to be released until Q4 2014 east, Q1 2015 west, Q2 2015 Europe - with major 'killer-app' titles due Q4 2015 and in time for the silly season.

That was the last I heard, that was from Sony, that was the plan.

Besides...as it's been said: all of the PS3's in existence will not spontaneously combust the nanosecond the PS4 drops into stores - there are millions of them out there, millions, and they will be there for years.

AK


Sales have gone down though, just check NPD and other sources before you start calling Forbes out, there is also a reason to pick a month where you don't have these or few:er massive games release, stats would be taken in the same way in regards to movies and other things. Across the board sales have been down and most attribute that to prolonged console generation., as well as other factors of course.

As for PS4 release, their plans for the PS3 did not go according to plan because of competition and I bet most people think Sony, admitted to that themselves, wont be releasing another console much later than the competition. They lost a lot of sales due to that reason last time, if MS release a new console 2013 which is what most people expect them to do I would bet on Sony doing the same if they intend to change their game.

As for having "millions" of units for "years" I find that to be very unlikely.
Selinate
#19 - 2012-04-01 02:42:45 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
Selinate wrote:


dewd...they took one month and compared it to the previous month a year ago.

That one month nothing came out with a $100 million marketing budget...like CoD or BF3 or GTA...great way to completely miss the point, forbes.

PS4 is not due to be released until Q4 2014 east, Q1 2015 west, Q2 2015 Europe - with major 'killer-app' titles due Q4 2015 and in time for the silly season.

That was the last I heard, that was from Sony, that was the plan.

Besides...as it's been said: all of the PS3's in existence will not spontaneously combust the nanosecond the PS4 drops into stores - there are millions of them out there, millions, and they will be there for years.

AK


The point is that there have been reports surfacing for video game sales on consoles fairly consistently over the past few years in how the sales have been dropping, and developers have been stating that they don't intend to make games for the current console generation (such as the developers for uncharted).

I'm under no illusions of the situation, and they will not be able to keep this up.
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2012-04-01 04:13:17 UTC
i wonder if the PC fanboys realize that if this would be true PS4 games would look better then PC games atm....
anyways rumor isn't true because no way it would run games in 4k when its hardly possible with the latest PC gfx in sli/crossfire.
12Next page