These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Discussion thread about WiS

First post First post
Author
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#161 - 2012-05-09 04:26:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Lost True
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Certainly EVE could use being a better place than reality, rather than be the same sh*t painted in a scifi color. Roll

It's a very interesting observation Smile

All of the today's Sci-Fi movies will never come true just because they all showing a very far future, far more advanced technologies which are uncomparable with today's. BUT a way of thinking of people is at today's average level. And alien thinking are copy of that with some little tweaks or just anoter type of today's thinking.
Truth is, a people will not be able to achieve a greater level of technology without a change in thinking.
(for example, even today we have a working technology that allows us to take an energy almost for free without using any oil gas. different people "invents" it's everytime, if properly financed, it can be easily integrated... BUT it's will be not so proffitable as oil, so NO)
And the wars... Wars it's also a flaw in thinking. Because every government thinks that for their country is as good, as it is bad for the other countries. But a borders and countries it's just a papers in those gevernments. In fact, it's just a lot of people who lives on this huge rock. There is nothing glorious in wars, it's all about the money, even WWII.

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#162 - 2012-05-09 06:50:43 UTC
Lost True wrote:
ELECTR0FREAK wrote:
Lost True wrote:
ELECTR0FREAK wrote:
Lastly, it might be enough to get my fiancee to play EVE. Right now she's mildly interested in the character creation and clothing, but once she realized that the only thing you can do with that character was walk around 1 room, she was immediately turned off. She didn't even really give learning how to fly a ship a chance.

My fiancee could probably play EVE Online quite happily as the owner of an establishment, like a club or a bar. She'd probably never undock, and she'd be perfectly happy with that. She played WoW, and rarely cared much about leveling up; she just wanted to be able to make more things and she was always disappointed that she couldn't own her own storefront.

I'd love to go out and blow up some internet spaceships, head back (in my pod, more than likely) and then head out on a trade run to grab her some more liquor.

Wishful thinking on my part perhaps...

That's one of the things why i want WiS.

I've thought about showing this game to my girlfriend... But what will i show?..

Even if she will be interested in spaceships, i don't want it , because i don't want such an unhealthy environment for her. All those gamers...

In WoW (which shames me to admit) I used to take her on raids and such when we were higher levels and she just didn't like them very much... not a big fan of the elitist pricks that tend to talk down to everyone that doesn't kit out the way they do. EVE has its own mix of those, along with a lot of griefers, and she won't be able to handle that; she's too soft-hearted. She played a Rogue in WoW because she didn't like being picked on by those sporting e-peen. She'd hide at the first sign of an enemy player, and the only time she ever fought back is if I was attacked, which often was pretty amusing watching her mash keys as she backstabbed the hell out of the poor guy who must have thought he was being baited by my Shaman. (Aww, <3 her!)

Ugh, but enough about WoW... we cancelled those subs a while back and neither of us have the desire to go back. I think she would actually like the EVE environment and backstory, but it's the EVE players she wouldn't be able to handle.

EVE is a gritty, dark place to live. But for people like my fiancee, that's not a problem... it's the people that would be looking to farm her tears that are the problem. I don't have a problem with it, it's why I've been playing EVE for over 8 years. But give people like my fiancee a safe haven where they can create something cool, and CCP will pull in new subs.

Oh, you so right!

EVE itself it's not so dark... It's in space, and player takes more freedom and resposibility. It's ok. But it's a people that makes EVE dark - griefs and all that. (...)

Not. It's the design choices which become mechanics which dictate what people can and can't do. You can't biomass a griefer which means that he can harrass you out of the game and you can't do **** about it in game. Out of game you can go and punch his nose, to speak so, but then you don't live in a dystopia and you're gonna be charged, tried and very likely condemned.

So people in EVE grief because griefing is for free as such are the mechanics.

And so probably we should count on being griefed if they ever bother themselves to deliver WiS. Roll
Gevlin
Planned Obsolescence.
No Visual.
#163 - 2012-05-09 09:30:21 UTC
Gritty and dark.... This is where eve should take to roads

Clean Bright and chearful for common places in Empire where commerce is in full swing.

Gritty and dark when you travel of the common paved road and start looking at the real things that run a station..

it should have both. and I hope the carbon technology will enable use to do such a thing.

very few SCI FI allow you to live on Both sides of the tracks.

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships

RAP ACTION HERO
#164 - 2012-05-09 10:21:49 UTC
Lost True wrote:
ELECTR0FREAK wrote:
Lost True wrote:
ELECTR0FREAK wrote:
Lastly, it might be enough to get my fiancee to play EVE. Right now she's mildly interested in the character creation and clothing, but once she realized that the only thing you can do with that character was walk around 1 room, she was immediately turned off. She didn't even really give learning how to fly a ship a chance.

My fiancee could probably play EVE Online quite happily as the owner of an establishment, like a club or a bar. She'd probably never undock, and she'd be perfectly happy with that. She played WoW, and rarely cared much about leveling up; she just wanted to be able to make more things and she was always disappointed that she couldn't own her own storefront.

I'd love to go out and blow up some internet spaceships, head back (in my pod, more than likely) and then head out on a trade run to grab her some more liquor.

Wishful thinking on my part perhaps...

That's one of the things why i want WiS.

I've thought about showing this game to my girlfriend... But what will i show?..

Even if she will be interested in spaceships, i don't want it , because i don't want such an unhealthy environment for her. All those gamers...

In WoW (which shames me to admit) I used to take her on raids and such when we were higher levels and she just didn't like them very much... not a big fan of the elitist pricks that tend to talk down to everyone that doesn't kit out the way they do. EVE has its own mix of those, along with a lot of griefers, and she won't be able to handle that; she's too soft-hearted. She played a Rogue in WoW because she didn't like being picked on by those sporting e-peen. She'd hide at the first sign of an enemy player, and the only time she ever fought back is if I was attacked, which often was pretty amusing watching her mash keys as she backstabbed the hell out of the poor guy who must have thought he was being baited by my Shaman. (Aww, <3 her!)

Ugh, but enough about WoW... we cancelled those subs a while back and neither of us have the desire to go back. I think she would actually like the EVE environment and backstory, but it's the EVE players she wouldn't be able to handle.

EVE is a gritty, dark place to live. But for people like my fiancee, that's not a problem... it's the people that would be looking to farm her tears that are the problem. I don't have a problem with it, it's why I've been playing EVE for over 8 years. But give people like my fiancee a safe haven where they can create something cool, and CCP will pull in new subs.

Oh, you so right!

EVE itself it's not so dark... It's in space, and player takes more freedom and resposibility. It's ok. But it's a people that makes EVE dark - griefs and all that. (...)

Not. It's the design choices which become mechanics which dictate what people can and can't do. You can't biomass a griefer which means that he can harrass you out of the game and you can't do **** about it in game. Out of game you can go and punch his nose, to speak so, but then you don't live in a dystopia and you're gonna be charged, tried and very likely condemned.

And so probably we should count on being griefed if they ever bother themselves to deliver WiS. Roll

lol mad about the gm denying your request to have gankers biomassed?

vitoc erryday

Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#165 - 2012-05-09 10:42:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Lost True

But it's allowed in all other "Brighter" games. Although there is a "Harassment" section in petitions for those who overdo it.

If a player didn't had that dirt in him, it's will not come out, allowed or not.

But don't get me wrong, i'm not against PvP or the combat system. But there's a huge difference between shooting players because it's fun or proffitable, and when you take this to a personal level, disrespecting your opponnent. And by this disrespecting yourself.

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#166 - 2012-05-09 11:10:47 UTC
So WiS can be an interesting experiment: a game within a game with different communities.

It's can also increase an online time of current players. As for me, i often getting tired of flying in space, and i'm going to some ground games, mostly single-player. Oh, i'm just realized why i so loving a ground walking in single-player games...:)

Rek Seven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#167 - 2012-05-09 12:37:15 UTC
I've always though that WiS should be a game within a game, not just a place for people so play dress up. I want an entirely new avatar skill tree so that WiS could eventually become a fallout/skyrim style of RPG.
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#168 - 2012-05-09 16:00:43 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
I've always though that WiS should be a game within a game, not just a place for people so play dress up. I want an entirely new avatar skill tree so that WiS could eventually become a fallout/skyrim style of RPG.

Yes, i've also thought about that... Not only a skills which will be a great thing, but also a HUGE, detailed world to explore.
And it's can be possible actually. Because for FiS it's too late to make such dramatic changes to make the EVE universe actually huge and interesting just to flying and exploring. not just for proffit, but because it's interesting, as it's should be, it's a video game after all, not some board game. Instead of just shooting players or npcs over and over.

So i think that it is possible to do in WiS, if they'll keep that in mind from the very begining of developing it further.

But at the same time i've understood that it's just a nice dream. I'll be happy when we have at least something like the Sims in station. And maybe other things like RPG will be a little closer.

Because i don't think that CCP are able to create some good RPG like Skyrim. Not to mention to make it as a game within a game, and MMORPG. Even if all CCP had worked on this, instead of small part of it...

Well, maybe a WoD team will be able to integrate some elements of their game to WiS...

But skills and not so complicated RPG will be a cool thing. But peaceful RPG in a first place. Because we don't want another ordinary shooter. Maybe later, as an addition to the already solid, finished WiS

Loius Woo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#169 - 2012-05-09 18:22:07 UTC
Lost True wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:

Yes, i've also thought about that... Not only a skills which will be a great thing, but also a HUGE, detailed world to explore.
And it's can be possible actually. Because for FiS it's too late to make such dramatic changes to make the EVE universe actually huge and interesting just to flying and exploring. not just for proffit, but because it's interesting, as it's should be, it's a video game after all, not some board game. Instead of just shooting players or npcs over and over.

So i think that it is possible to do in WiS, if they'll keep that in mind from the very begining of developing it further.

But at the same time i've understood that it's just a nice dream. I'll be happy when we have at least something like the Sims in station. And maybe other things like RPG will be a little closer.

Because i don't think that CCP are able to create some good RPG like Skyrim. Not to mention to make it as a game within a game, and MMORPG. Even if all CCP had worked on this, instead of small part of it...

Well, maybe a WoD team will be able to integrate some elements of their game to WiS...

But skills and not so complicated RPG will be a cool thing. But peaceful RPG in a first place. Because we don't want another ordinary shooter. Maybe later, as an addition to the already solid, finished WiS

I took this from the "Eve Future Vision" video that CCP did a while back.

In that video, an Eve player betrays a dust corp, and in response another Eve player shot him. That to me would mean that that Eve player had to have some skill in using a pistol etc.

I think that it is a long way off, but probably forms part of their overall vision for their game.
Gevlin
Planned Obsolescence.
No Visual.
#170 - 2012-05-09 18:36:01 UTC
WIS will be taking a parallel to FIS so most Greifing act will make a person suspect therefore shootable by all. But in the brighters areas a clean up crew will be around quickly to clean up the corps, While in the darkest areas that corps might just be lfet there to rote.

In the Brighter sections of the station you will have Concord like security but in the darker areas null sec rules apply and personal justice is what counts.

Lost True wrote:

But it's allowed in all other "Brighter" games. Although there is a "Harassment" section in petitions for those who overdo it.

If a player didn't had that dirt in him, it's will not come out, allowed or not.

But don't get me wrong, i'm not against PvP or the combat system. But there's a huge difference between shooting players because it's fun or proffitable, and when you take this to a personal level, disrespecting your opponnent. And by this disrespecting yourself.

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships

Jett0
The Two and Only
#171 - 2012-05-09 19:04:05 UTC
I seem to recall a devblog that stated there won't be station pvp for the forseeable future. Too hard to implement, stressful on the servers, and not part of the original intent.

"You've betrayed me! Prepare for a STERN LOOK until I get outside!"

Occasionally plays sober

Gevlin
Planned Obsolescence.
No Visual.
#172 - 2012-05-10 01:36:22 UTC
Jett0 wrote:
I seem to recall a devblog that stated there won't be station pvp for the forseeable future. Too hard to implement, stressful on the servers, and not part of the original intent.

"You've betrayed me! Prepare for a STERN LOOK until I get outside!"

That was apart of the old model in the last fan fest the approach was suppost to parrallel FIS
so there might be low sec faction (Gang) warfare in the lower portions of the stations ?

Alabugin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#173 - 2012-05-10 02:14:58 UTC
My proposal/prediction on how walking in stations should/will be done.

They currently have a very sophisticated UI for Dust 514. Their code is said to have ability to implement 64+ in a given environment.

This code was written on a PC and ported and optimized for console, but that does not mean its not backwards compatible to provide a structured code for WiS.

Use the Dust 514 First person code for WiS perhaps? I know it goes against the current UI for our CQ so this is a concern...but the current graphical interfacing that was written for CQ would fall apart miserably in a large scale environment.
Gevlin
Planned Obsolescence.
No Visual.
#174 - 2012-05-10 03:46:38 UTC
I may be talking out my tail pipe on this as I am not a programer.
The dust engine is the Unreal engine. the current WIS is Carbon a CCP exclusive programing lanquage that is Python designed to work in batch processing to increase the power of the processor.
The language to the looks of it is meant to scale as technology advances so the realism of the avatars will increase with minimal re writing. Allowing people to show off their avatars as a statement of fashion.
This language will also be used in World of Darkness.
Carbon is also a language that is exlusive to CCP so they have more control of that programming product.

If we switched to Unreal what will happen to the art assets currently already developed, As I know a variety of interiors can already be build using the current assets in CCP's hands and a variety of character work has been completed. All of which is in high detail.

can those assets be converted over. Can the Lighting Effects that Carbon is supposed to be using transferable.

it just feels like we have all the components of a house ready to build, just we are having trouble with finding the nails. Once the nails are found WIS will start having game play, which is the biggest stumbling block.

I would love to see a Comparison chart of what Carbon is suppost to be providing vs Unreal.

In the future will dust move from the unreal engine to carbon? Can some of the assets be transporting from one into carbon so the gun skins can be easily moved over.

Janet Patton
Brony Express
#175 - 2012-05-10 03:51:47 UTC
I am for WiS, but I think they set the graphical bar way to high to implement it properly. I like that CCP is thinking of ways to evolve EVE and make it more immerse, and I think WiS is a good direction for this.

I see a lot of people trying to claim EVE is a spaceship only game. I don't agree. EVE is a sandbox universe and this just expands on what makes this game so great. There are many people who just like to play in the markets or do industrial. I see WiS a good way to expand this, and open up the game to a bigger audience of players.

Just like SWG in its hay day had social classes, this can help introduce more people to these activities that are not very twitch and combat oriented to the game. Everyone has there play style and preference and I think this opens the game up more to those type of players.

Why do I have this sig? I don't smoke.

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#176 - 2012-05-11 12:58:28 UTC
After thinking a while about the hacking down of the available skin tones (from 72 to 14), I wonder wether it would be possible to create a middle ground -more diversity wihtin each race, and yet each race with racial skin tones that reflect on the wide range of skin colors present IRL.

Also I wonder why nobody asked first rather than undertake this art effort without knowing what players thought of it.
Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#177 - 2012-05-12 14:47:52 UTC
Loius Woo wrote:
I took this from the "Eve Future Vision" video that CCP did a while back.

In that video, an Eve player betrays a dust corp, and in response another Eve player shot him. That to me would mean that that Eve player had to have some skill in using a pistol etc.

I think that it is a long way off, but probably forms part of their overall vision for their game.

There's no indication in that video that the assassin is necessarily an 'Eve player', or even a player controlled character at all.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#178 - 2012-05-12 15:30:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Lipbite
I guess after monoclegate Hilmar assured investors it's not his idea with $1000 pixeljeans and NeX store which pissed players - but whole WiS idea. So Incarna most likely became an outlaw and there won't be any meaningful content for a year(s). If you want confirmation of my theory - just check the market for those 50+ ready-to-use clothing items which are in game for like 8 months already but weren't released due to some type of Incarna taboo.

I simply assume CCP in present state won't deliver WiS no matter what and we have to play (almost) the same game for 3rd year in a row + for at least couple more years.

I believe any arguments around WiS are useless because CCP wont' listen anyway. And it's sad.
Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#179 - 2012-05-12 16:54:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Scatim Helicon
Lipbite wrote:
I guess after monoclegate Hilmar assured investors it's not his idea with $1000 pixeljeans and NeX store which pissed players - but whole WiS idea. So Incarna most likely became an outlaw and there won't be any meaningful content for a year(s). If you want confirmation of my theory - just check the market for those 50+ ready-to-use clothing items which are in game for like 8 months already but weren't released due to some type of Incarna taboo.

I simply assume CCP in present state won't deliver WiS no matter what and we have to play (almost) the same game for 3rd year in a row + for at least couple more years.

I believe any arguments around WiS are useless because CCP wont' listen anyway. And it's sad.

CCP are working on ideas for a WiS that actually has gameplay and fits into the rest of Eve, its just that most of the player-generated ideas can be summed up as players throwing theme, backstory and resource limitations out of the window and wanting either a vacuous Sims/Second Life 'social gaming' bandwagon shitpile, or some sort of fully formed third-person shooter/punch-up infantry combat simulator.

Neither of those things are going to happen, nor should they.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#180 - 2012-05-12 17:27:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Scatim Helicon wrote:

CCP are working on ideas for a WiS that actually has gameplay and fits into the rest of Eve, its just that most of the player-generated ideas can be summed up as players throwing theme, backstory and resource limitations out of the window and wanting either a vacuous Sims/Second Life 'social gaming' bandwagon shitpile, or some sort of fully formed third-person shooter/punch-up infantry combat simulator.

Neither of those things are going to happen, nor should they.

Yes, those silly players!

What do they know about what they want?

I'm sorry, but I'd think that goonswarm would be all over the social aspect of this. After all, then Mittans could jump up and give one of his ranting speeches in game rather then via the website, and bask in the adoring glow of you all marching around to der horstwesselllied waving goonswarm banners and listening to him tell you all to harass people until they kill themselves.

You could even go in stations to their stores and break all the windows, burn thier offices, and club them down in the streets! And then if they resist you could line them up and shoot them!

Maybe CCP will even let you set up camps where you can force them all to fly unarmed newbships in a circle while you pod them over and over to enhance your epeen!