These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

what skills do you need to R&D

Author
EVE Stig
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-04-14 01:46:46 UTC
lvl I r&d tells me I dont have the skills, what do I need an what lvls?

"Some say that he is actually dead, but the Grim Reaper is too afraid to tell him." "Some say he is the 3rd member of Daft Punk and he did the vocals of "Technologic" song. All we know is,he's called EVE Stig"!

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-04-14 02:02:50 UTC
You need one of the science skills that matches one of their areas of research, though, now might not be the best time to be getting into it.
Duane Prowler
Polarized
#3 - 2012-04-14 02:14:53 UTC
Why wouldnt now be a good time to start R&D?
Isaac Hotei
Gateless Gate Research Institute
#4 - 2012-04-14 02:21:28 UTC
Duane Prowler wrote:
Why wouldnt now be a good time to start R&D?


Because CCP is about to nerf research agents and start transitioning the acquisition of datacores over to the new faction warfare system.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-04-14 10:26:49 UTC  |  Edited by: DeMichael Crimson
Show info on the R&D Agent should list what skills and standings are required for access. This link explains about R&D Agents.
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Research_agent


As for the reference made about CCP changing Data Cores:

I watched the FanFest vids and CCP didn't say anything about R&D Agents no longer doing research for Data Cores. CCP did say they were looking into maybe increasing the amount of Research Point's needed to redeem Data Cores and maybe even have a small ISK fee included with the redemption.

As a civilian I have a very big problem with that considering I spent a lot of time training up skills and standings to access high level R&D Agents. I'm certain a lot of other civilians will also have a problem with that.

CCP mainly said they are looking to increase rewards for Factional Warfare players. One way is by adding Data Cores to the FW LP Store at a reduced rate compared to the civilian cost. Right now the cost of items in the FW LP Store is roughly about 60% of the regular LP Store cost.

I don't see a problem with FW LP Stores selling Data Cores at a reduced rate compared to the civilian cost. However, I think the FW Data Cores should also require the appropriate Science skills for redemption. If not, I imagine there will be some rage threads posted about that.


http://youtu.be/VsfiaU-a1-I
Talk about Data Cores @ 20:00 to 21:12
Isaac Hotei
Gateless Gate Research Institute
#6 - 2012-04-15 01:02:25 UTC
In the official Fanfest videos they were a bit vague about what would happen with datacores, but CCP Soundwave was a bit more candid in this Ten Ton Hammer interview immediately after fanfest. The discussion of datacores starts around 8 minutes in, and the first message was "cash in your RP now. " The change will be phased in over time, but listening to his answers, Soundwave at least sounds rather like he'd like to get rid passive ISK sources in general.
EVE Stig
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-04-15 01:06:04 UTC
Isaac Hotei wrote:
In the official Fanfest videos they were a bit vague about what would happen with datacores, but CCP Soundwave was a bit more candid in this Ten Ton Hammer interview immediately after fanfest. The discussion of datacores starts around 8 minutes in, and the first message was "cash in your RP now. " The change will be phased in over time, but listening to his answers, Soundwave at least sounds rather like he'd like to get rid passive ISK sources in general.


Yeah Im thinking they should refund me my sp since theyre radically changing the process and killing my interest in it

"Some say that he is actually dead, but the Grim Reaper is too afraid to tell him." "Some say he is the 3rd member of Daft Punk and he did the vocals of "Technologic" song. All we know is,he's called EVE Stig"!

Jorma Amatin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-04-15 02:02:11 UTC
It's reasonable to get the most out of it right now, before it becomes more profitable to move into FW missions. However I doubt that R&D would completely disappear, and people will still need the skills for manufacturing and inventing T2.
Pau Tia
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-04-22 12:57:37 UTC
After reading the posts and listing to the Ten Ton Hammer interview, it does sound like R&D as it was before is dead or will be dying in the next expansion. I have looked around and cant find anything else conclusive of the process or how CCP intend to implement this change.

So I have stopped any training into R&D and will be keep my 1 R&D agent ticking over until more information becomes available.

CCP if you would like to give us further information on this it would be great.

Disco Knightly
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-04-23 15:01:43 UTC
I can't find it now, but there was an interview where Soundwave outlined a plan for the different areas of space. Basically it boils down to T1 is High-Sec, T2 is Low/Null, and T3 becomes the sole domain of W-Space. This particular change seems to be in keeping with that model.

I would imagine that if they don't do away with L4 R&D agents completely, they'll move them out of High-Sec to keep with this model. This would, nominally, cut down on the "I want my wastes SP back" whine threads. Of course that would be a semi-logical thing to do so CCP will probably do something else.
EVE Stig
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-04-24 23:40:24 UTC  |  Edited by: EVE Stig
Disco Knightly wrote:
I can't find it now, but there was an interview where Soundwave outlined a plan for the different areas of space. Basically it boils down to T1 is High-Sec, T2 is Low/Null, and T3 becomes the sole domain of W-Space. This particular change seems to be in keeping with that model.

I would imagine that if they don't do away with L4 R&D agents completely, they'll move them out of High-Sec to keep with this model. This would, nominally, cut down on the "I want my wastes SP back" whine threads. Of course that would be a semi-logical thing to do so CCP will probably do something else.


whine threads lol... what is it you do in the game out of curiosity? What if CCP totally changed what you do so that it was totally unappealing to you? Im betting youd "whine" about it too.
Imagine if they made it so that to PVP you HAVE to go to low sec of Null. Made High sec a PVE only zone. Im pretty sure ppl would "whine" over that eh?
I think the "if you ewre smart youd cash in before the expansion" thing pretty much sums it up anyways -.-

"Some say that he is actually dead, but the Grim Reaper is too afraid to tell him." "Some say he is the 3rd member of Daft Punk and he did the vocals of "Technologic" song. All we know is,he's called EVE Stig"!

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#12 - 2012-04-25 00:58:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
EVE Stig wrote:
Yeah Im thinking they should refund me my sp since theyre radically changing the process and killing my interest in it


The only SP they'd need to refund (if any at all) would be those invested in Research Project Management. The remaining science skills all relate to invention. If you trained those skills only for data cores, you can look to adapt your play style to invention. Otherwise you might consider selling your character and replacing it with another from the bazaar, more focussed on your play style.

As for the FW LP store selling data cores: all that will happen is that the lowest ISK value from either FW LP store or R&D agents will define the floor price for data cores. There will still be value in data cores from R&D agents, but it might not be worth the time to collect them.

On the positive side for inventors, I expect the price of data cores to plummet due to clueless FW people trading LP for ISK at phenomenally bad exchange rates, simply because they can convert LP to ISK through data cores quickly. Note that the clued-in FW people who aim to maximise their ISK/LP will have no impact on the market, only the clueless FW people looking to make a quick buck.
EVE Stig
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-04-25 01:00:20 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
EVE Stig wrote:
Yeah Im thinking they should refund me my sp since theyre radically changing the process and killing my interest in it


The only SP they'd need to refund (if any at all) would be those invested in Research Project Management. The remaining science skills all relate to invention. If you trained those skills only for data cores, you can look to adapt your play style to invention. Otherwise you might consider selling your character and replacing it with another from the bazaar, more focussed on your play style.


May look into that actually. Its better than the SP refund that apparently breaks the game Roll

"Some say that he is actually dead, but the Grim Reaper is too afraid to tell him." "Some say he is the 3rd member of Daft Punk and he did the vocals of "Technologic" song. All we know is,he's called EVE Stig"!

Disco Knightly
Perkone
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-04-25 05:15:23 UTC
EVE Stig wrote:
Disco Knightly wrote:
I can't find it now, but there was an interview where Soundwave outlined a plan for the different areas of space. Basically it boils down to T1 is High-Sec, T2 is Low/Null, and T3 becomes the sole domain of W-Space. This particular change seems to be in keeping with that model.

I would imagine that if they don't do away with L4 R&D agents completely, they'll move them out of High-Sec to keep with this model. This would, nominally, cut down on the "I want my wastes SP back" whine threads. Of course that would be a semi-logical thing to do so CCP will probably do something else.


whine threads lol... what is it you do in the game out of curiosity? What if CCP totally changed what you do so that it was totally unappealing to you? Im betting youd "whine" about it too.
Imagine if they made it so that to PVP you HAVE to go to low sec of Null. Made High sec a PVE only zone. Im pretty sure ppl would "whine" over that eh?
I think the "if you ewre smart youd cash in before the expansion" thing pretty much sums it up anyways -.-


I've got a bunch of R&D toons that took forever to grind, but I'm also aware that I'm perfectly capable of adapting if they decide to make a change. Would I prefer that they didn't take away some of the work I put in? Sure. Am I going to rage because I lose the meager earnings and long round-trips to pickup datacores from R&D?

Probably not.

YMMV