These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Capsuleers and Their "Crews"

First post First post
Author
Thgil Goldcore
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#241 - 2012-12-23 20:04:59 UTC
Horatius Caul wrote:
The good thing about crews is that unlike automated systems they aren't reduced to useless scrap when your ship is hit by the EMP wave of a nuclear weapon.

considering some ammo for projectile weapons is just that... mini nukes being launched at a rate of a few hundred shells per minute... Very good thing indeed!
Vikarion
Doomheim
#242 - 2012-12-23 23:05:16 UTC
Horatius Caul wrote:
The good thing about crews is that unlike automated systems they aren't reduced to useless scrap when your ship is hit by the EMP wave of a nuclear weapon.

Uh, hate to tell you, but there's no EMP shockwave without an atmosphere. It's the gamma rays interacting with the atmosphere that produces the burst.
Thgil Goldcore
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#243 - 2012-12-24 03:08:54 UTC
The atmosphere takes the energy of the explosion and makes it into a much stronger EMP effect. In High atmosphere as used as an Ebomb it also spreads the effect over a much larger area making it FAR more effective. Otherwise the EMP effect is entirely offset by the force of the explosion destroying just about everything (making the EMP moot)... However an atomic explosion without an atmosphere does have EMP on its own merit, got everything from gamma to radio in those bad boys.

However entirely off the topic.
Lady Katherine Devonshire
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#244 - 2012-12-28 00:35:02 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
They would be smaller if they didn't, and have no windows.

I've always wondered about that. My personal synthetic assistant tells me that windows are a structural weakness. Capsuleer ships shouldn't need them, or at the very least they should have very few of them.

Qvar Dar'Zanar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#245 - 2012-12-28 02:44:15 UTC
Lady Katherine Devonshire wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:
They would be smaller if they didn't, and have no windows.

I've always wondered about that. My personal synthetic assistant tells me that windows are a structural weakness. Capsuleer ships shouldn't need them, or at the very least they should have very few of them.

I've seen here and there in the lore references to transparent/translucid alloys that are as strong as hull metal. Possibly it's used only here and there for the same reason most of us wouldnt make all our houses out of glass even if we could (in fact, there's some people who do it).

Also, I wouldnt be surprised if the crew of some capsuleer ship had gone mad of claustrophobia because they had no windows at all.