These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP... Devs... UI Video... Hope it happens soon...

First post
Author
Terazuk
Likely Suspects
#61 - 2012-04-12 14:02:24 UTC
Eve desperately needs a UI refresh, there's been some great work recently on a lot of little things that have made a vast improvement in the user experience.

The improved tactical data seen on targets in the frames here particularly the speed indicator is one that I feel would help improve things. We definitely need more excuses to be looking at the art in space rather than a list of targets in a table.

Would also be rather nice if the game view/camera behaved in a manner that engaged the viewer better too, keeping the player ship more or less centered and in view when using the "set as interest" function. Getting a sense of where you are in a fight can be challenging as it stands and way more involved than it really needs to be imo.

Currently the best way to determine what is going on at any given time time is to zoom out devolving all the objects involved into different coloured squares at best. From an Eve perspective we know whats going on and can appreciate the subtleties but from the outside looking in, it looks about as compelling as a turd sandwich

I can't help feeling that working on this is something that deserves a very high priority. After all there are new Eve videos being posted on Youtube almost every day and a considerable number of those can be accurately described as "...Pink squares shooting at other squares". Every single one thus described is a missed opportunity to showcase what Eve can be

TL;DR: Git 'er done
Alexandra Alt
Doomheim
#62 - 2012-04-12 15:03:56 UTC
The thing I love the most in that video, is the UI shown @ minute 1:25 it's teh sexeh and should be made available ASAP it just freaking rocks!!!!

I love a lot the moving away from the bevel UI, I rather more the slick 2d design without many shadows, and I'm pretty sure it will decrease the client rendering load just because it has no shadows!!
Daneirkus Auralex
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#63 - 2012-04-12 22:14:29 UTC
Khaji'un Noyakin wrote:
That does look promising.
Situational Awerness (one of those terms combat pilots use)

Not just a term for pilots.. maintaining situational awareness is emphasized in areas of the military. (and yes, trolls, I would know).

100% with you - I really think the whole UI needs to be built up again from the ground floor. As it is now, many of us can't even truly experience visuals in space, as we're zoomed out or docked 95% of the time.
Oberine Noriepa
#64 - 2012-04-12 22:45:23 UTC
Terazuk wrote:
Eve desperately needs a UI refresh, there's been some great work recently on a lot of little things that have made a vast improvement in the user experience.

The improved tactical data seen on targets in the frames here particularly the speed indicator is one that I feel would help improve things. We definitely need more excuses to be looking at the art in space rather than a list of targets in a table.

Would also be rather nice if the game view/camera behaved in a manner that engaged the viewer better too, keeping the player ship more or less centered and in view when using the "set as interest" function. Getting a sense of where you are in a fight can be challenging as it stands and way more involved than it really needs to be imo.

Currently the best way to determine what is going on at any given time time is to zoom out devolving all the objects involved into different coloured squares at best. From an Eve perspective we know whats going on and can appreciate the subtleties but from the outside looking in, it looks about as compelling as a turd sandwich

I can't help feeling that working on this is something that deserves a very high priority. After all there are new Eve videos being posted on Youtube almost every day and a considerable number of those can be accurately described as "...Pink squares shooting at other squares". Every single one thus described is a missed opportunity to showcase what Eve can be

TL;DR: Git 'er done

Couldn't agree more.

Smodab Ongalot
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2012-04-13 05:39:20 UTC
Terazuk wrote:
... here ..

Everything in that frame is win.

-Speed/Range indicators on brackets
-Brackets with icons that indicate WTF KIND OF SHIP IT IS (who'd think that'd be important?)
-Camera view of target. HOLY **** I CAN TELL WHICH WAY HE IS FLYING!!
-More detailed tactical overlay graphic

Not sure on the artsy fartsy OV tho. I think it is important that the OV be fairly information dense (or at least the option) and all those fancy graphics take up valuable space.
okst666
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2012-04-13 11:00:25 UTC
What I would like to see is a change in what happens when you get targeted.

I mean..at the moment all that happens is a 4x4 Pixels Box starts to go blinky blinky in overview.

It should be like the whole hud turn red, claxon sounds - all hands battlestation kind of effect - indicator.

[X] < Nail here for new monitor

Oberine Noriepa
#67 - 2012-04-13 11:41:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Oberine Noriepa
Smodab Ongalot wrote:
Terazuk wrote:
... here ..

Everything in that frame is win.

-Speed/Range indicators on brackets
-Brackets with icons that indicate WTF KIND OF SHIP IT IS (who'd think that'd be important?)
-Camera view of target. HOLY **** I CAN TELL WHICH WAY HE IS FLYING!!
-More detailed tactical overlay graphic

Not sure on the artsy fartsy OV tho. I think it is important that the OV be fairly information dense (or at least the option) and all those fancy graphics take up valuable space.

Bolded: The UI and HUD can look cool and animate in cool ways without being intrusive or superfluous, you know. I think it's time that EVE breaks away from the spreadsheet motif. What's provided in that frame looks like a step in the correct direction. It's not perfect, but it's a good start.

okst666 wrote:
What I would like to see is a change in what happens when you get targeted.

I mean..at the moment all that happens is a 4x4 Pixels Box starts to go blinky blinky in overview.

It should be like the whole hud turn red, claxon sounds - all hands battlestation kind of effect - indicator.

While that does sound kind of cool, I think it would end up being annoying more than anything else after repeated encounters. In my opinion, a simple sound effect notification for being targeted would suffice. Stuff like that could make sound meaningful in EVE for once.

ivar R'dhak
Deus est Mechanicus
#68 - 2012-04-13 13:16:46 UTC  |  Edited by: ivar R'dhak
I already have a few nitpicks after watching that vid, now paying attention almost frame for frame.

First of all the new style is great, love it!
But I really hope nothing here is set too much in stone

For example the overview from 1:20 onwards is much too big IMHO. Hope it´s scalable.

Also that "screen in screen" view in the upper right, while awesome still has all these icons cluttering up valuable screen space around it.

This would be the perfect target for a cunning use of THE FORGOTTEN RADIAL MENU(remember that one?).
Make them all only pop up when click holding on that screen, either right around the cursor or where they are now. You know best what works

That radial menu should be worked much harder than it is now anyway. It has to become smarter and much more context sensitive to the actual item you are currently clicking on
In my opinion it should eventually replace the dreaded right-click menu completely.
I´m sure many disagree, but that´s usually just because hardly anybody ever worked with a good designed radial menu and is just too drilled into expecting drop down menus. BTW this includes UI artists too. P

Break free of the drop down menu shackles, GO RADIAL!
Broken Thoughts
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#69 - 2012-04-13 13:29:41 UTC
ivar R'dhak wrote:
, GO RADIAL!

i hate these!
other than that, i would deeply fall in love with that sexy shiny blue for the capacitor :D
ivar R'dhak
Deus est Mechanicus
#70 - 2012-04-13 13:37:51 UTC
Broken Thoughts wrote:
ivar R'dhak wrote:
, GO RADIAL!

i hate these!
Thnx for so promptly proving my point.
Quote:
just too drilled into expecting drop down menus
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
#71 - 2012-04-13 13:57:16 UTC
A lot of this stuff looks awesome. I'm most looking forward to the new Tactical Overlay.

"The game is mostly played by men - 97%. But 40% of them play as women... so thats fine."  - CCP t0rfifrans 

Red Maiden
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2012-04-13 15:43:56 UTC
I really like what I see. Hopefully we'll get some of these cool changes in the coming months.
Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#73 - 2012-04-13 15:47:42 UTC
Gosh I hope they actually do something about the drone UI. It's pretty awful.
Oberine Noriepa
#74 - 2012-04-13 15:58:54 UTC
ivar R'dhak wrote:
I already have a few nitpicks after watching that vid, now paying attention almost frame for frame.

First of all the new style is great, love it!
But I really hope nothing here is set too much in stone

For example the overview from 1:20 onwards is much too big IMHO. Hope it´s scalable.

Also that "screen in screen" view in the upper right, while awesome still has all these icons cluttering up valuable screen space around it.

This would be the perfect target for a cunning use of THE FORGOTTEN RADIAL MENU(remember that one?).
Make them all only pop up when click holding on that screen, either right around the cursor or where they are now. You know best what works

That radial menu should be worked much harder than it is now anyway. It has to become smarter and much more context sensitive to the actual item you are currently clicking on
In my opinion it should eventually replace the dreaded right-click menu completely.
I´m sure many disagree, but that´s usually just because hardly anybody ever worked with a good designed radial menu and is just too drilled into expecting drop down menus. BTW this includes UI artists too. P

Break free of the drop down menu shackles, GO RADIAL!

It would be great if the radial menu was given an update that made it relevant. I know that some people do use the menu in its current form, but I think those individuals may be in the minority.

Danel Tosh
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#75 - 2012-04-13 16:03:37 UTC
love it, want it, need it