These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What's the most you've ever been scammed out of? How?

Author
Gerald Taric
NEO DYNAMICS
#61 - 2012-04-03 15:00:08 UTC
Spy 21 wrote:
What's the most you've ever been scammed out of? And what was the scam...

0 ..... zero ....

I was told at the beginning of my EVE career:

"If something looks to good to be true, it is exact that."

"Read every contract carefully."

What i learned from watching and above rules:

"Ignore Jita local except for learning purposes"

"Don't mix up , and . "

"Check the ammount of Zeros"

"compare both sides of an contract: 'you get" and 'you give'"

"Check the forum for latest scam occurance"

"Listen to warnings and experiences from others"

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#62 - 2012-04-03 15:06:50 UTC
Bought a 600 mil+ DCU before they put in the warning. And 548 million thrasher after.

Used the thrasher for the gank i bought it for in the first place. Still have the DCU on the PvP cane I bought it for.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Sonk
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#63 - 2012-04-03 15:18:43 UTC
About 75 mil.. to taxes..

Put a 10B sell order instead of a 100M.

Not really a scam but same kind of stupidity
DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#64 - 2012-04-03 15:54:35 UTC
Nedes Betternaem wrote:
DarthNefarius wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
I got caught by the margin trading scam once.

Didn't really lose much but time and my dignity. Still annoys me that this is a viable scam as there is no counter to it.

Mr Epeen Cool

The counter is not falling for it.

bull the counter is giving the people the ISK & a negitive wallet balance in the people who did the margin scam. If they biomass negitive isk accounts all accounts get perma banned .

You can't give them a negative balance through margin scams. The order fails when you try to sell to them. The only way to get a negative wallet balance is by a GM giving it to you as a punishment.

lol Change it then CCP for this 1 instance where the margin trading scam exists & disallow the biomassing of the toon
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Mathias Hex
#65 - 2012-04-03 20:00:23 UTC
The most I've ever been scammed in one shot is $60. Caught me completely off gaurd, not sure what to call the scam. It was from a company I fully trusted, had a name I recognised passionately. I'm still very upset about this issue.

The company is bioware (notice no Capitals due to no respect for the name!) The scam was dragon age 2 (again no caps, I fully realize titles are supposed to have them but that is a false title so no caps)

FU*K YOU bioware, FUC* YOU ea. Unlike most I learned my lesson and knew way before release swtor was a SCAM! No more moneys from me basstardo's.

I recall one night in a nightclub called the matrix, there I was... Mother of god there I am! Holy f**k.

adopt
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#66 - 2012-04-03 20:28:13 UTC
I have yet to be scammed, however, I have robbed 15.6bil, stolen multiple corporations assets, a few capitals.
Nub Sauce
State War Academy
Caldari State
#67 - 2012-04-03 21:01:05 UTC

I'm really surprised that anyone falls for these scams. They are entirely too obvious. Especially anything that's in a contract that can be sold on the market - 99% chance it's a scam. The list goes on.

It's been said many times, "If it looks too good to be true, it's likely a scam."
Burseg Sardaukar
Free State Project
#68 - 2012-04-03 21:02:57 UTC
I accidentally put up a Large Dread Guristas tower for 1/10 the price. Damn decimals.

That was my own fault, though.

Can't wait to dual box my Dust toon and EVE toon on the same machine!

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#69 - 2012-04-03 21:10:49 UTC
25M.

Though to be fair... I made over 100M off of the scammer previously (the triple your isk scam), so it was a net profit for me.

Not including that, 1M.
Joran Dravius
Doomheim
#70 - 2012-04-03 21:11:54 UTC
0 isk. Only stupid people get scammed.
Killer Schnitzel
Doomheim
#71 - 2012-04-03 21:31:51 UTC
I'll play... No one really wants to be honest about it so I'll be one of the first.

Friends with a guy in game for two years. Most of the folks I spend any time with I have known for years in game. I was asked to spot this said friend some iskies and that I would turn a 20% profit for a few hours loan. Transferred the isk and went to go watch some tv. Got back to be told that I had been scammed by a long time scammer. Someone who gets in close playing friendly and then takes you for you kindness.

For me it was kind of a good thing. I had gotten complacent and hadn't been working hard at making isk for a while and this lit the fire under my butt to make it back and then some.

Total Loss: 14 Billion

Recouped: Less than 14 weeks.

Sometimes it is good to be gotten and before you all rag remember... It's only a game. If you get your panties in a bunch over play money then don't play Monopoly.
Swarthy Avenger
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#72 - 2012-04-03 21:33:20 UTC
Not much, I had 100m invested into Titans4U, but who didn't. I still have the shares for the lulz.

The Swarthiest.

Bibosikus
Air
#73 - 2012-04-03 21:39:50 UTC
Hicksimus wrote:
300mil for an iteron 5. ....

Me too:s

Had the Market window sorted wrong :s

And I was hazed Oops

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Pyrus Octavius
Flat Earth Believers
#74 - 2012-04-03 22:27:16 UTC
I am naturally not a very trusting person. So I have never been subjected to a scam. Because I'm a great guy IRL, I've never scammed anyone in game or in life. I believe in KARMA and the GOLDEN RULE.
Ren Oren
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#75 - 2012-04-04 03:44:17 UTC
I was ALMOST scammed into giving away a typhoon.

Basically the guy said "Dude just station trade it to me" I had the thing even put in the trade window then I smelt BS... I was a noob but not stupid. Save myself from giving away 70mil

Oh and Goonswarm almost scammed me out of 500mil(recruitment), lucky I didn't have 500mil and was actually begging them to take my 300mil, luckily the GS guy was stupid and didn't want to go lower then 500mil so I was saved by dumb luck