These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP picked the wrong console.

Author
Sobach
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-04-02 19:35:03 UTC
Lord Reid wrote:
Why in Christ CCP decided to launch Dust just in time before the PS4, I don't know.

dust is coming out in a few months.... PS4 doesn't even have a release year yet -_-
Raneru
Contemplate
#22 - 2012-04-02 19:35:43 UTC
Enkryption wrote:
Greg Valanti wrote:
Enkryption wrote:

How does this bode with Dust514? When CCP ports it to PS4 will they continue support for the PS3 version or are we all going to get screwed once again?

To this end, CCP has already stated that Dust will be cross-compatabile.

Of course they say this for now. How many people would have bought a PS3 for Dust if CCP said the second PS4 comes out we're done with PS3?

I imagine that like the classic eve client in the past, they will continue supporting it until there is no point in doing so.
Judeau Antara
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-04-02 19:39:12 UTC
It shouldn't have been on either console. Should have been for the PC. Could have worked a deal with Steam or something.
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#24 - 2012-04-02 19:41:24 UTC
Because losing the ability to trade in your old $60 games for $15 EB store credit is a giant loss. Maybe less people will be inclined to buy that next shooter that has a total of 6 hours game time for the standard cost. Might force some publishers like EA to adopt a upgradable platform for their yearly release "upgraded" sports games when more people refuse to pay top dollar for games they can no longer trade out.
It would suck if you are stuck with what you buy, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if the real ***** of the cycle, giant publishers, works with the console market when the used game market hopefully turns around and bites them in the ass in demands for higher quality for the price.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#25 - 2012-04-02 19:44:07 UTC
So the rumour is that the rumoured backwards compatibility of a rumoured console is rumoured to not be there (if / when the rumoured console is released, which is rumoured to be anywhere in 2-5 years). And that bodes ill for a game that is coming out within a matter of months (no rumour), somehow?

Quote:
How could you partner with such a reprehensible company CCP?
Because all alternatives are far far worse.
Apollo-Moor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2012-04-02 19:53:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Apollo-Moor
Enkryption wrote:
Wrong console, wrong company.

Sony - one of the most vile, despicable companies on this planet has been literally bending their customers over every single chance they get for the quite awhile now. Look at the PS3. They removed the backwards compatibility for one reason, so they could "remake" older games and resell them for more money.

Now, look at the rumors for the PS4. Absolutely no backwards compatibility. It looks like they are trying to completely destroy the reselling of games because games now require you to log in to PSN. If you resell, the person that buys the game will not have complete access to the game because the key is locked to the original owner's PSN.

Imagine if this worked with cars. You buy a used car but since you aren't the original owner the brakes won't work, ever. Have fun!

How does this bode with Dust514? When CCP ports it to PS4 will they continue support for the PS3 version or are we all going to get screwed once again?

How could you partner with such a reprehensible company CCP?

Yea I think others have pointed out the reasons well enough for you. If it came out for X-box then it would go like this..

Pay for internet, pay for X-Box 360 pay for X-Box live subsciption, pay for game.. play..

PS3 Pay for internet, pay for Playstation 3, not online subsciption, pay for game.. play..

Another thing, although the PS3 is by far the most difficult console to develope for. It also comes with the titles of being the most powerful console out to date. Sony does not support backwards capatibilty on the system true. But do provide many of the older games from both PSX and PS2 on their online store.

They actually still made NEW Playstation 2 games up to a short time ago..

I doubt the game will completely remain on PS3 if it is a success, if they can get it to work on X-Box and Microsoft is willing to budge in some departments (More than likely not) then maybe sooner than later you'd see cross platform. To give Xbox 360 credit they do have superior shooters for the most part compared to PS3 (imho)

I don't know, there were reasons behind their choices for sure. It does work better to bring it out on the PS3 if you want people to be able to play with the least hassle.. They don't have to pay for anything..
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#27 - 2012-04-02 19:53:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Quote:
It looks like they are trying to completely destroy the reselling of games because games now require you to log in to PSN. If you resell, the person that buys the game will not have complete access to the game because the key is locked to the original owner's PSN.

You go on to ask what will happen to DUST players when the PS4 comes out.

They will apparently be in a rather fortunate group of gamers. They won't have to face the problem of selling their old copy of DUST 514 so that they can get ahold of DUST 515 the sequel. Big smile

They will already have their copy of DUST, which will patch itself to run on whatever PS you happen to own.

You have just given perhaps the strongest argument for going with SONY I have seen to date. Blink

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Welsige
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-04-02 19:54:22 UTC
PS3 is rigt because....

... its kinda "cheap" for all it offers
... it allow CCP to do what the y want to do
... Dust will be free so assuming new media for PS4 it woudl continue to be free, so whatever.

....... and I already have a PS3, wich, OBVIOUSLY, make it the best console Cool

Anyway, by the time PS4 launches, and the premium price they will charge at launch drop to a human level, it will be a good 2-3 years.

Untill them keep sending contracts, so i can explode things planet side (wops.... )

[b]~ 10.058 ~

Free The Mittani[/b]

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#29 - 2012-04-02 19:54:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
ACK: Double Post

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Apollo-Moor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2012-04-02 19:56:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Apollo-Moor
Besides Playstation 4 is still 2 to 3 years out from seeing the light of day..

Well maybe not completely.. PS3 is far from obsolete tho..
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#31 - 2012-04-02 20:03:44 UTC
Skill yourself with the PS3 controller.
Pertuabo Enkidgan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2012-04-02 20:20:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Pertuabo Enkidgan
Both of them are terrible & evil businesses :(

Should have went with the Wii U :(, although Nintendo always has a tight hand on what comes on their console and what doesn't (lololl shovelware wii)
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2012-04-02 20:26:58 UTC
Pertuabo Enkidgan wrote:
Both of them are terrible & evil businesses :(

Should have went with the Wii U :(, although Nintendo always has a tight hand on what comes on their console and what doesn't (lololl shovelware wii)

Pffft...Gameboy Advance was the obvious choice for DUST. Why they would choose an inferior consol over a handheld is beyond me.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#34 - 2012-04-02 20:29:56 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
Pffft...Gameboy Advance was the obvious choice for DUST. Why they would choose an inferior consol over a handheld is beyond me.
Pffft… Atari Lynx > all.
Aqriue
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2012-04-02 20:35:08 UTC
Don't know what all the ButthurtOops directed at Sony is about. You should be raging at CCP....

Computer Game.

^^ Bang! Head shot to the knee.

CCP already has EVE out on PC, you would think "Hmmm, hey it shouldn't be that hard!" but they got other reasons for not releasing DUST to the computer like Big Brother. Except for the massive number of FPS clowns replaying the same shooter for months on end under the names Counter Strike, Halo, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty....the choice for console was because of the larger potentional player base. There are a total of 3 Consoles on the planet (unless I haven't heard of others), XBox opted out, Sony said yes, and Wii...wasn't even considered. So...nothing to get angry out as CCP will be getting more revenue.
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#36 - 2012-04-02 20:43:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Roll Sizzle Beef
Aqriue wrote:
Don't know what all the ButthurtOops directed at Sony is about. You should be raging at CCP....

Why? Because CCP didn't want to split the current community? Because CCP wanted to reach a larger broader audience without WoWifing EVE? Because CCP wanted to get more people interested on the PC side by reaching the console market who have never heard of CCP? Because CCP has been a successful entity despite little slip-ups during its whole history and generally has known whats good for itself?

Real reason people are mad is because they either A: only have X-box or B: bought an X-box years ago when the first tentative details of Dust had it scheduled for x-box and ran with that info.
Or simply C: Never wanted to own a console. (that just being tough tatters, as hundreds of games don't wind up on PC)
Nirnias Stirrum
UberWTFBBQ and Battle Technologies
#37 - 2012-04-02 20:43:24 UTC
Well in all fairness Sony is a pretty crap company they have a track record of ruining games, Planetside, Star Wars Galaxies are the ones i know of cause i played them until :SOE:
Proton Satria
Vetrox Technologies
#38 - 2012-04-02 20:45:54 UTC
dont like the console its on? dont play it.

Got an xbox? if it came out on your console the graphics and gameplay would be half of what it is on ps3 as ps3 is a superior machine (dont rage at me because lets face it...it is)

Got a wii? hahahahaha

Got a pc? Go play planetside 2, its the same type of game

Got all of the above but no ps3? im sure you could sell them all and have enough for a ps3

Got a ps3? here, has a cookie on me.

What have i got? i got an xbox and a pc? what am i going to do about dust? borrow a friends ps3 and see if dust is any good. If its not then i will go back to my pc and play planetside 2 cos it will remind me of the good old days.
Danfen Fenix
#39 - 2012-04-02 20:51:30 UTC
Don't forget that more revenue for CCP also = more potential revenue that could then be put back in to Dust & Eve P

And the fact that it is only a PS3 lauch exclusive title. There have been various hints that it may one day come to PC, but for the meantime the contract with Sony would probably entail PS3 to get first dibs.

Also, as Proton said, its opening up EvE, a PC game, to the masses of console players who may wish to try it (and contrary to popular belief, console players are not all whiny 13 y/os ). Heck, there have been a few people already who have subscribed to EvE because they heard of it due to all the attention on Dust. Win Win for everybody really Big smile
Hauling Hal
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2012-04-02 20:51:47 UTC
Oh, dear.

Dust514 will be a Free To Play, so

1. CCP will want it on every console they can, as active players pay (unfortunately, MS said 'gofuself', so Sony it is).

2. It will be supported on PS3 and PSwhatevertheycallthenextone (CCP stated this ages ago).

Should I post some random rubbish now, to demonstrate that not only don't I think before I post, but I don't bother to read either?