These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Radio Midnight Tonight: This week in review, with Trebor, Seleene, Two Step and... The Mittani

First post
Author
Berke Negri
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#181 - 2012-04-01 02:19:40 UTC
RougeOperator wrote:
Berke Negri wrote:
hey rougeoperator, you're kind of a creepy stalker with a serious axe to grind and should take a break from the game

Im allowed to use the EVO forums. Dont like it dont read my posts.

that was really more advice to seek some help rather than any sort of commentary on the quality of your posts
RougeOperator
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#182 - 2012-04-01 02:20:57 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Yep. Heard the pod cast. It went something like this:

"Yeah yeah, inciting someone to commit suicide is bad, yadda yadda. But you know what's worse? My name being associated with cyber-bullying. I mean, if I had to get a job this would affect me for a very long time, I mean, yeah committing suicide and being dead sucks, but why aren't people thinking of how this negative press would affect me? You owe me an apology. He owes me an apology. Everyone owes me an apology. Unless you're a goon, meta-gaming is bad, so don't do it, mkay?... Unless you're goon. Then it's OK. mkay?"

He calls the incident a "drunken mistake". Even though it was premeditated. [sigh] Some people just will never learn.

Actually thats pretty spot on about it.

just add in Eve Radio bobble heads agreeing while hes talking and its spot on.

**Space wizards are real, they can make 10058 votes vanish. "and for a moment i hurd 10k goons cry out, then silence" **

So Sensational
Ventures
#183 - 2012-04-01 02:22:01 UTC
Berke Negri wrote:
hey rougeoperator, you're kind of a creepy stalker with a serious axe to grind and should take a break from the game

+1 to that, this dude posts on every thread I've opened that's even remotely related to this issue.
DJ FunkyBacon
Rabid Ninja Space Monkey Inc.
Monkeys with Guns.
#184 - 2012-04-01 02:22:13 UTC
RougeOperator wrote:
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
Edited the OP with a link to the podcast version of last night's show, you can also click here:

http://eve-radio.com/news-compendium/eve-radio/1616-funkybacon-deals-with-mittani-podcast

I also wanted to take a moment to respond to a handful of people accusing me of "fluffing" The Mittani.

My style of show in cases like this, is to get in contact with as many of the parties involved as possible, and to create a first hand, civil discussion where listeners can gain an understanding from the people directly involved, and come up with their own opinions.

I ask questions, some my own, some from listeners, and then sit back, shut the **** up, and LISTEN. I don't generally appreciate today's sensationalist media full of talking heads trying to yell over one another and making asses of themselves on live television, radio, or whatever. I certainly can't stand anyone passing themselves off as a journalist (ESPECIALLY paid ones) that make sloppy reports, with little fact checking, or due diligence to make sure they've got the story straight.

If my decision to allow someone to explain themselves to you over verbally beating someone's brain in offends you, I'm sure there are other outlets where you can get coverage suitably slanted to your preconceived views. If you like to hear more than one side of a story so you can think for yourself and make your own opinion of involved parties, I hope we were able to deliver suitable content to you.

I don't think its very civil to have someone complaining about being harassed IRL turn around and start giving out someones IRL name all over your show in a way that was inviting harassment. You let your show become a vehicle for harassment of another person by not saying at least saying NO to that. Thats not cool.

And most of the questions were what the softball part. The tone was one of clear biased support for the mittani almost from the get go. At least next time try to be a little neutral.

Mittani only went on the show because he knew it would be a cake walk to push his agenda.

Which IRL name are we talking about here? There were 2, Mitten's, which he said himself several times and Brendan, who is a blogger for Massively, and that's what he's known by.

From your comments however, it seems quite plain that if you listened to the entire piece at all, you didn't listen very well. I quite clearly stated that Mittens got what he deserved, expressed concerns that he might have been banned as a result of the media coverage, and not necessarily for what he did (which is a concern i think many people have, since we'd all like to think it was Mittens that got himself banned, not poor sensationalist media coverage) I covered the point of view of the actual victim in this case, quoting him word for word in one of his communications to me, I railed on gaming media for not doing their ****, and once mittens came on and made his statement, we asked several pointed questions of our own, and from people listening, including one very anti-mittens posting made in this very thread, not to mention my own questions regarding his own views on why he was banned and whether or not he deserved it.

There was quite a bit of time when he and Brendan were going about their business that I didn't say anything at all, preferring to let the two of them work things out. The questions were asked, and answered (if not to some people's liking). If you want to rail on about them being softball because I didn't ask them like an angry forum troll, I guess that's your business.

Radio Host, Blogger, Lowsec Resident, PvP Afficionado.

funkybacon.com - Blog

FunkyBacon on Twitter

Berke Negri
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#185 - 2012-04-01 02:22:22 UTC
RougeOperator wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Yep. Heard the pod cast. It went something like this:

"Yeah yeah, inciting someone to commit suicide is bad, yadda yadda. But you know what's worse? My name being associated with cyber-bullying. I mean, if I had to get a job this would affect me for a very long time, I mean, yeah committing suicide and being dead sucks, but why aren't people thinking of how this negative press would affect me? You owe me an apology. He owes me an apology. Everyone owes me an apology. Unless you're a goon, meta-gaming is bad, so don't do it, mkay?... Unless you're goon. Then it's OK. mkay?"

He calls the incident a "drunken mistake". Even though it was premeditated. [sigh] Some people just will never learn.

Actually thats pretty spot on about it.

just add in Eve Radio bobble heads agreeing while hes talking and its spot on.

see this is exactly what i am talking about
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#186 - 2012-04-01 02:26:06 UTC
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
RougeOperator wrote:
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
Edited the OP with a link to the podcast version of last night's show, you can also click here:

http://eve-radio.com/news-compendium/eve-radio/1616-funkybacon-deals-with-mittani-podcast

I also wanted to take a moment to respond to a handful of people accusing me of "fluffing" The Mittani.

My style of show in cases like this, is to get in contact with as many of the parties involved as possible, and to create a first hand, civil discussion where listeners can gain an understanding from the people directly involved, and come up with their own opinions.

I ask questions, some my own, some from listeners, and then sit back, shut the **** up, and LISTEN. I don't generally appreciate today's sensationalist media full of talking heads trying to yell over one another and making asses of themselves on live television, radio, or whatever. I certainly can't stand anyone passing themselves off as a journalist (ESPECIALLY paid ones) that make sloppy reports, with little fact checking, or due diligence to make sure they've got the story straight.

If my decision to allow someone to explain themselves to you over verbally beating someone's brain in offends you, I'm sure there are other outlets where you can get coverage suitably slanted to your preconceived views. If you like to hear more than one side of a story so you can think for yourself and make your own opinion of involved parties, I hope we were able to deliver suitable content to you.

I don't think its very civil to have someone complaining about being harassed IRL turn around and start giving out someones IRL name all over your show in a way that was inviting harassment. You let your show become a vehicle for harassment of another person by not saying at least saying NO to that. Thats not cool.

And most of the questions were what the softball part. The tone was one of clear biased support for the mittani almost from the get go. At least next time try to be a little neutral.

Mittani only went on the show because he knew it would be a cake walk to push his agenda.

Which IRL name are we talking about here? There were 2, Mitten's, which he said himself several times and Brendan, who is a blogger for Massively, and that's what he's known by.

From your comments however, it seems quite plain that if you listened to the entire piece at all, you didn't listen very well. I quite clearly stated that Mittens got what he deserved, expressed concerns that he might have been banned as a result of the media coverage, and not necessarily for what he did (which is a concern i think many people have, since we'd all like to think it was Mittens that got himself banned, not poor sensationalist media coverage) I covered the point of view of the actual victim in this case, quoting him word for word in one of his communications to me, I railed on gaming media for not doing their ****, and once mittens came on and made his statement, we asked several pointed questions of our own, and from people listening, including one very anti-mittens posting made in this very thread, not to mention my own questions regarding his own views on why he was banned and whether or not he deserved it.

There was quite a bit of time when he and Brendan were going about their business that I didn't say anything at all, preferring to let the two of them work things out. The questions were asked, and answered (if not to some people's liking). If you want to rail on about them being softball because I didn't ask them like an angry forum troll, I guess that's your business.

It's kinda telling that you use Brendon's name here but call Alex "Mittens".

It wasn't "mittens" who farked-up, it was Alex.

/just sayn

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

DJ FunkyBacon
Monkeys with Guns.
#187 - 2012-04-01 02:28:25 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:

/just sayn

Since he posts on Massively by his real name, not a pen name or pseudonym, what would you like me to call him?

funkybacon.com - Blog

FunkyBacon on Twitter

RougeOperator
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#188 - 2012-04-01 02:29:12 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
RougeOperator wrote:
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:

/just sayn

You got to it before me.

DJ you need to get a text transcript of the recording and read it over again with a critical eye.

**Space wizards are real, they can make 10058 votes vanish. "and for a moment i hurd 10k goons cry out, then silence" **

RougeOperator
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#189 - 2012-04-01 02:30:18 UTC  |  Edited by: RougeOperator
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

/just sayn

Since he posts on Massively by his real name, not a pen name or pseudonym, what would you like me to call him?

You joking? thats massively this is eve.

Why did you use mittens instead of ALEX.

Edit: Forget it its clear now you are in the tank on this issue.

DJ FunkyBacon
Monkeys with Guns.
#190 - 2012-04-01 02:31:03 UTC  |  Edited by: DJ FunkyBacon
Quote:
You joking? thats massively this is eve.

Why did you use mittens instead of ALEX.

Because I'm talking about an EVE player, and a MASSIVELY Blogger. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

funkybacon.com - Blog

FunkyBacon on Twitter

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#191 - 2012-04-01 02:31:37 UTC
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
expressed concerns that he might have been banned as a result of the media coverage, and not necessarily for what he did (which is a concern i think many people have, since we'd all like to think it was Mittens that got himself banned, not poor sensationalist media coverage)

Been trying to put that into words for awhile, thanks for doing it. Because that's exactly what the situation looked like from the outside.

DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
I covered the point of view of the actual victim in this case, quoting him word for word in one of his communications to me, I railed on gaming media for not doing their ****, and once mittens came on and made his statement, we asked several pointed questions of our own, and from people listening, including one very anti-mittens posting made in this very thread, not to mention my own questions regarding his own views on why he was banned and whether or not he deserved it.

Just wanted to say I enjoyed the listen, great job on the interview. You also reminded me why VNV Nation pisses me off but redeemed yourself with some Covenant.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

RougeOperator
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#192 - 2012-04-01 02:32:19 UTC
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
RougeOperator wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

/just sayn

You got to it before me.

DJ you need to get a text transcript of the recording and read it over again with a critical eye.

FunkyBacon wrote:

^---- again.

then you should be using Alex with every freaking post not mittens.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#193 - 2012-04-01 02:34:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

/just sayn

IMHO you should probably not have called him at all and should have spoken to Massively's Management, if it was such a big media credibility issue. All you did was provide a public forum for Alex to bully an author into a retraction while playing the victim for an audience.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Berke Negri
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#194 - 2012-04-01 02:35:55 UTC
RougeOperator wrote:

You got to it before me.

yeah! because that sounds healthy

seriously it is the weekend just close the browser and go for a walk
RougeOperator
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#195 - 2012-04-01 02:40:34 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

/just sayn

IMHO you should probably not have called him at all and should have spoken to Massively's Management. All you did was provide a public forum for Alex to bully an author into a retraction while playing the victim for an audience.

Exactly this, thats all it ended up being. It was rather disturbing.

DJ FunkyBacon
Monkeys with Guns.
#196 - 2012-04-01 02:43:55 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

/just sayn

IMHO you should probably not have called him at all and should have spoken to Massively's Management. All you did was provide a public forum for Alex to bully an author into a retraction while playing the victim for an audience.

Something you're probably not aware of, is that Brendon is an acquaintance of mine, and we speak quite often. While Mittens was on air talking, Brendan was typing as fast as his fingers could giving me his side of things even while mittens was presenting his own side. I asked if Brendon would like to join us so we could attempt to put things straight between the two of them rather than have a one sided Mittani rant on air without Brendon being able to present his side of things.

What you did not get to hear on the stream during the broadcast (you got a synopsis of it when we came on) was me making it very plain to all parties involved that if things started to get ugly on air, I was going to pull the plug, so however they wanted to discuss their views, it needed to stay Civil.

Brendon is also a stand up guy, who owns what he does. Before the show even started, he'd already informed me that he was writing up his next Eve Evolved column for this weekend with retractions and apologies for his part in what he himself had determined was the use of a buzzword label that wasn't serving as responsible media coverage, and that was before I or Mittens had brought it up to him.

funkybacon.com - Blog

FunkyBacon on Twitter

Frederick Sanger
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#197 - 2012-04-01 02:44:29 UTC
Berke Negri wrote:

seriously it is the weekend just close the browser and go for a walk

Considering they refuse to go outside of their virtual comfort zones, I find this highly unlikely.
Berke Negri
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#198 - 2012-04-01 02:45:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Berke Negri
RougeOperator wrote:

Exactly this, thats all it ended up being. It was rather disturbing.

only disturbing thing here is your obsession with mittani
Frederick Sanger
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#199 - 2012-04-01 02:49:06 UTC
Berke Negri wrote:

only disturbing thing here is your obsession with mittani

Being totally fixated and obsessed with another man is completely healthy.
RougeOperator
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#200 - 2012-04-01 02:50:59 UTC
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
DJ FunkyBacon wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

/just sayn

Something you're probably not aware of, is that Brendon is an acquaintance of mine, and we speak quite often. While Mittens was on air talking, Brendan was typing as fast as his fingers could giving me his side of things even while mittens was presenting his own side. I asked if Brendon would like to join us so we could attempt to put things straight between the two of them rather than have a one sided Mittani rant on air without Brendon being able to present his side of things.

What you did not get to hear on the stream during the broadcast (you got a synopsis of it when we came on) was me making it very plain to all parties involved that if things started to get ugly on air, I was going to pull the plug, so however they wanted to discuss their views, it needed to stay Civil.

Brendon is also a stand up guy, who owns what he does. Before the show even started, he'd already informed me that he was writing up his next Eve Evolved column for this weekend with retractions and apologies for his part in what he himself had determined was the use of a buzzword label that wasn't serving as responsible media coverage, and that was before I or Mittens had brought it up to him.

Imagine listeners cant know this stuff. Your telling us now, way after the fact.

Even then the way the mittani, ALEX since we are using peoples real names, interview went was not an interview you gave him a platform to rant and witch hunt against massively.

Whom unlike ALEX the MITTANI, did not actually do anything wrong.

The label was not wrong, I think the pressure on him to change a correct label was crazy to here. And Alex using and misrepresenting what people think cyber bullying is and was terrible. And no one challenged him on it. Someone needed to say hey wait a second this is what Most people think it is. You are saying its X.

It came off as a one sided propaganda piece. Withe a beaten down massively editor being brow beat into submission.

Knowing him and being a mate and rules and guidelines etc do not change that fact. Honestly you should have said Please refrain from using his full name at least.