These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The coming war on used games sales!

Author
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#81 - 2012-04-07 21:18:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Jhagiti Tyran
Whitehound wrote:
Kessiaan wrote:
...
Most of the complaints I see about Steam tend to revolve around the service suddenly terminating (highly unlikely, but even so we'd all just crack our games and continue on about our business), issues about ownership (as I said a few pages ago, the only way to own non-open source software you didn't write is to steal it, and it's always been that way), or some emotional connection to physical goods (which I can't help you with).

Lol If it was this simple and it was a mere emotional connection then we could just make prostitution a respectable business and declare marriage as illegal. The later often ends in court anyway and you lose your money either way!

Seriously, it still is about the values and there is no emotional connection here. We have established rules in business and with games and software sales do these rules get bend and broken. You own nothing, you need to agree with their politic before you can use the software and you need to fear the loss of your purchase. All you get is to pay for buggy games. There is a complete loss in values taking place and the kids accept it happily, because they do not know what this is.

An old saying says, "do not pay the ferryman before you get to the other side." If one does not understand its meaning and what it is trying to teach you then I suppose it needs Steam so that people can make the necessary experience.


All of these problems apply to retail boxed games as well. You can still get buggy games, and you still own nothing apart from a plastic box and a disk. You still only buy the licence to use the software. The plastic is worthless.

Because of install limits and DRM that registers the game you cannot resell the game the way you can with console games.
Whitehound
#82 - 2012-04-07 21:54:27 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
All of these problems apply to retail boxed games as well. ...

No, not all. This is just the fanboy in you talking who does not want the truth to be told.

It is getting worse with every new business model in the games market. In the past could one walk into a shop and return a game that was buggy. Nowadays do the shops not take them back. It has become a standard practise to sell software "buggy as hell" on their release date and to make the customers wait for the fixes. It often takes months before the worst get fixed.

If you have a problem with a game you have bought on Steam will nobody listen to you. You can call a hotline, but you will end up talking the 1st line support, who will try to brush you off with reading FAQs and web pages. Should you manage to get through to 2nd line support will you be talking to a tech guy, who has got an MCSE and knows which end of his headset to talk into. But will you get help? No. Only when the problem has become so obvious that it cannot be ignored, and because masses of players write about it on their forum or make the hotline burn, will they do something. This then is called "costumer service" and "common practise", because you do not want it any other way.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#83 - 2012-04-07 22:00:33 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
All of these problems apply to retail boxed games as well. ...

No, not all. This is just the fanboy in you talking who does not want the truth to be told.

It is getting worse with every new business model in the games market. In the past could one walk into a shop and return a game that was buggy. Nowadays do the shops not take them back. It has become a standard practise to sell software "buggy as hell" on their release date and to make the customers wait for the fixes. It often takes months before the worst get fixed.

If you have a problem with a game you have bought on Steam will nobody listen to you. You can call a hotline, but you will end up talking the 1st line support, who will try to brush you off with reading FAQs and web pages. Should you manage to get through to 2nd line support will you be talking to a tech guy, who has got an MCSE and knows which end of his headset to talk into. But will you get help? No. Only when the problem has become so obvious that it cannot be ignored, and because masses of players write about it on their forum or make the hotline burn, will they do something. This then is called "costumer service" and "common practise", because you do not want it any other way.


See I tried to be constructive and you start off with ad hominem. You still cannot list a single advantage a retail box provides. Buying a game from a store still means you are only buying a license, games can still be broken or buggy.

You say I ignore the truth, that's because there is no truth to pay attention to.
Whitehound
#84 - 2012-04-07 22:08:11 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
You say I ignore the truth, that's because there is no truth to pay attention to.

No, this is not what I am saying. I said you do not want it to be told. You know it is true and you cannot ignore it.

Keep those tears coming. Lol

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Jon Engel
Machete Carbide
#85 - 2012-04-08 07:41:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jon Engel
Whitehound wrote:
Jon Engel wrote:
My values are very simple friend. ...

You just want to hate steam for the sake of hating it. ...

Yes, I know about your values and, no, I do not hate them for the sake of it. I do not share their idea of a "good" sale, I reject it.


Well, to be fair as many console games as I have purchased new over the years that have turned out to be overpriced pieces of crap I'll take my chances with a downloaded game. Which if you remember the Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis war of the 90s you would know how much crap a console can produce. Case in point the Atari Jaguar, Sega CD/32x, NEO GEO etc...

Then if you want to look at all the 60 dollar PC games that are crap nowadays please enlighten me. Steam only has one thing that you don't like. You can't give or sell your game to someone else after you have bought it. That is the only thing you have a problem with and in the long run it's not that big of an issue, because you can purchase said game as a gift and give it to a friend or something so that should be something of a small relief to your fist shaking and foot stomping tantrum.
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#86 - 2012-04-08 14:33:08 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
You say I ignore the truth, that's because there is no truth to pay attention to.

No, this is not what I am saying. I said you do not want it to be told. You know it is true and you cannot ignore it.

Keep those tears coming. Lol

I have no tears, I am happy to embrace digital distribution.

You are the one crying and whining about it.
Whitehound
#87 - 2012-04-09 10:55:56 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
I have no tears, I am happy to embrace digital distribution.

You are the one crying and whining about it.

No, you. Lol

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Sobach
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2012-04-10 12:35:23 UTC
lol, people are still getting trolled by whitehound? Lol

I think it should be blatantly obvious at this point that he's not really interested in saying anything other than "I'M RIGHT AND UR WRONG LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALA"
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#89 - 2012-04-10 12:36:16 UTC
Sobach wrote:
lol, people are still getting trolled by whitehound? Lol

I think it should be blatantly obvious at this point that he's not really interested in saying anything other than "I'M RIGHT AND UR WRONG LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALA"



Go away troll!
2bhammered
Cyberpunk 2077
#90 - 2012-04-10 12:43:16 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
2bhammered wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Stop trying to be clever, you are not. If you where really clever you would understand that its called operant conditioning. (Or possibly respondent conditioning, your description is crap)

So much hate Lol



Tyran likes to start fights over anything, don't mind him, he trolls every single forum there is.


Thats unfair, I only troll stupid people or those that post stupid opinions. I argued with you in the Bioware threads because you where doing the 4chan zombie biodrone chant. But in this thread where you made a good point I supported it didnt I? I don't hold grudges over forum arguments either, that would be daft.

I enjoy constructive discussion but I cant help it when people are stupid, its just to funny.



You do troll, you concede defeat every single time we argue. Last thread we argued in you just lied and posted troll pictures and left. This time you did not troll, right, yet you troll for 2 pages against this white dude.

In the future it would serve you better to have "constructive" arguments instead of argue for the sake of it.
Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#91 - 2012-04-10 16:03:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Can't buy used grognard games (hardcore wargames e.g. by Matrix) anymore. They're all digital download, no used copies in circulation. And it's a small niche market, so buying the download is 50-70 bucks. And you can't resell the game if it's a junker. Poor grognards, poor me.... Smile