These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The coming war on used games sales!

Author
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#41 - 2012-04-03 04:00:31 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Who then is GameStop?.


Again you betray your ignorance, GameStop is only one the largest multinational video game brick and mortar retailer, online retailer and digital distributors.

If you didn't even know that how can any of your value judgements be worth the pixels they are typed in?
Whitehound
#42 - 2012-04-03 08:22:29 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Who then is GameStop?.


Again you betray your ignorance, GameStop is only one the largest multinational video game brick and mortar retailer, online retailer and digital distributors.

If you didn't even know that how can any of your value judgements be worth the pixels they are typed in?

There are many of those. Only a nerd would know them all.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Whitehound
#43 - 2012-04-03 08:28:37 UTC
Brujo Loco wrote:
We need MORE DIGITAL distribution platforms

I agree. Steam needs a good kicking through competition. Like I said before do we need choices and competition. Once we can choose who we download with can the distributors come up with ideas how to make their service better and then will we also get some rights back, simply because it sells better.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Sobach
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2012-04-03 08:49:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Sobach
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Who then is GameStop?.


Again you betray your ignorance, GameStop is only one the largest multinational video game brick and mortar retailer, online retailer and digital distributors.

If you didn't even know that how can any of your value judgements be worth the pixels they are typed in?

There are many of those. Only a nerd would know them all.


eh, yea, that doesn't pass the smell test. (assuming you're from the US)

it's akin to an avid internet shopper claiming he's never heard of Amazon before. Is it possible? yes, but about as likely as the chance of you sending a billion isk to one of those jita spam and getting 10bil isk back.
Sobach
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2012-04-03 09:06:58 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
This is not proof, Jhagiti.


neither is your ranting, but I digress

Whitehound wrote:
I am telling you about it. I already told you that you are not the owner any more. Not only have you lost your right to own something of value, but Steam reserves themselves the right to turn all your games off! Technically is it not more than a lease. I also said that you cannot return anything and will not get your money back. Nor do you posses anything of value, because you are not allowed to sell it. If you do then they it will have consequences.


It is a valid point, especially if Steam ever closes shop. Like it or not though, that's the way the industry is going. Whether you like it or not, digital distribution have beaten out physical retail for PC gaming fair and square, /cheer capitalism and all that.

Whitehound wrote:
It is couch potatoes, who cannot get up and who need everything delivered into their house, who pay only on credit while they own nothing to cover for it, who then see this as being a good thing and embrace it. They already have nothing to lose and the money they use to pay for it is not theirs either. Why should they care? They are not going to care about values when they posses none. Everyone else who owns their own property, their own house, their own car and with a positive bank account will not like it. People like choices and they like to posses things of value and of quality. They also like to pass it on and like to sell it.


yea ok, this is where you can go suck a ****. I have a decent library of physical PC/Console games, but I've increasingly chosen digital copies for pc games due to ease of use and the fact that I don't really want them to take up any more space then they already have, so you can take all that insults and ridiculous assumptions and shove it back up where the sun don't shine. I still do, and will continue to buy physical copies of certain games for collection purposes, but you don't get to dictate to me what should have value and what doesn't.


Whitehound wrote:
Who then do you think gives you a right to complain to a game maker about the quality of a game when you have given up on its values? Nobody.


try using your wallet, by not buying the crappy games, which incidentally is the only form of complain game devs gives a **** about.


Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#46 - 2012-04-03 09:14:36 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Who then is GameStop?.


Again you betray your ignorance, GameStop is only one the largest multinational video game brick and mortar retailer, online retailer and digital distributors.

If you didn't even know that how can any of your value judgements be worth the pixels they are typed in?

There are many of those. Only a nerd would know them all.


Thats pretty funny, you claim to be an expert on game retail trends yet you claim only a nerd would know about a company that has brick and mortar stores, online retail and digital distribution in the following countries. (not everything is available in every country in the list)

United States,
Canada,
Australia,
Austria,
Denmark,
Finland,
France,
Germany,
Ireland,
Italy,
New Zealand,
Norway,
Portugal,
Puerto Rico,
Spain,
Sweden,
Switzerland,
United Kingdom.

Just face it you know nothing and there is nothing wrong with disliking something either. You dislike digital distribution? Fine thats OK but you should really stop embarrassing yourself by trying to present opinion as truth when you obviously know very little about the subject you are talking about.
Whitehound
#47 - 2012-04-03 13:43:00 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Just face it you know nothing and there is nothing wrong with disliking something either. You dislike digital distribution? Fine thats OK but you should really stop embarrassing yourself by trying to present opinion as truth when you obviously know very little about the subject you are talking about.

Again, and since you still need to be told twice, is it just one of many retail stores. There are many more who sell globally. You only got hooked on one in particular. Enjoy, nerd.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Whitehound
#48 - 2012-04-03 13:51:48 UTC
Sobach wrote:
neither is your ranting, but I digress

No, you do not digress, you bicker and whine.

Quote:
It is a valid point, especially if Steam ever closes shop. Like it or not though ...

yea ok, this is where you can go suck a ****

Truly spoken for someone who has given up his values and lets the industry take it off him. You are no more than a cashcow.

Maybe you only do not care, or do not know how, but seeing how you come to this forum to tell me says otherwise. Which is it? Do you use your wallet and avoid Steam when buying games?

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#49 - 2012-04-03 13:53:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Jhagiti Tyran
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Just face it you know nothing and there is nothing wrong with disliking something either. You dislike digital distribution? Fine thats OK but you should really stop embarrassing yourself by trying to present opinion as truth when you obviously know very little about the subject you are talking about.

Again, and since you still need to be told twice, is it just one of many retail stores. There are many more who sell globally. You only got hooked on one in particular. Enjoy, nerd.


I do not need to be told twice, I just dismiss everything you say because its completely ill-informed.

Whitehound wrote:
Enjoy, nerd............................

Whitehound wrote:
I am playing computer games for more than 25 years now.


You owe me 500m ISK to replace my irony detector that you overloaded.

Whitehound wrote:
This is not proof, Jhagiti.


I should also address this because it once again betrays your ignorance. You might want to learn some basic business practice, it is unlawful to falsify fiscal reports to shareholders. Some of those articles I linked drew the information from those reports.

So yes it is proof.
Whitehound
#50 - 2012-04-03 14:40:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
So yes it is proof.

Clearly, you have no idea what proof is. The news articles do not draw a full picture of the situation at all. Seriously, pointing at the press release of 1-2 game shops is proof to you?

Why am I even asking ... Roll You need to be forced to look deeper or else you will not believe it. I am only wasting my time with you. You do not want to know or care about it. You are happy with Steam, just like they want you to be. You are too young to know what you are missing.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Sobach
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2012-04-03 15:21:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Sobach
Whitehound wrote:
Truly spoken for someone who has given up his values and lets the industry take it off him. You are no more than a cashcow.

Maybe you only do not care, or do not know how, but seeing how you come to this forum to tell me says otherwise. Which is it? Do you use your wallet and avoid Steam when buying games?


wow, there's no way you're not trolling, lol

otherwise you would've at least pretended to try to argue the points I made instead of jumping straight to ad hominems

what value have I given up? I don't ever sell games, nor do i give my games away, I only buy games that I want to play and/or keep, whether on a digital or physical copy. None of what you hate about steam matters in the slightest to me. Not to mention I'm not the one here who's accusing every person who uses steam to be an ignorant worthless unemployed couch potato who can't appreciate your apparently obvious superior taste and values.

Frankly, you're coming across as one of those paranoia nutcase that fortifies their house and turns their basement into a nuclear bunker because they think the feds are coming after them, apparently right before a global nuclear war will happen.


Going back on topic, I do not like the path that Sony and MS is heading towards one bit, even though it's not really going to affect me personally. I hope that these rumors do not pan out in the end, otherwise I'll have to seriously consider whether I'll purchase those consoles if on nothing else other than principle.
Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2012-04-03 15:27:07 UTC
Buying something and lending it around to other people ought to be illegal. The creator of the item only gets one sale, but multiple people get to use it for free. Therefore public libraries must be illegalized and all their books confiscated! Blink
Whitehound
#53 - 2012-04-03 15:48:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Sobach wrote:
Frankly, you're coming across as one of those paranoia nutcase that fortifies their house and turns their basement into a nuclear bunker because they think the feds are coming after them, apparently right before a global nuclear war will happen.

American nonsense... As I asked before, what gives you the right to complain to a game maker when their games have no value to you? No one.

And so they will not listen to you when you do. Some will pretend, some will try and succeed, but the majority is treating you like a cashcow, because you do not value their game and as a result do they only take your money and leave you with nothing of value. The game makers certainly do value their products.

What is it that Steam has to offer? Did you take a look at all their games? Sure they are cheap, but they are crap as hell, too. This is the state of your vision of digital distribution! But as long as you can dream about it does it not matter to you why it is the way it is.

Maybe I do come across like some militant American fascist to you (... Lol ...) but you sure come across like some kid who has not got a clue and hopes that it will all sort itself out.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#54 - 2012-04-03 16:18:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Jhagiti Tyran
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
So yes it is proof.

Clearly, you have no idea what proof is. The news articles do not draw a full picture of the situation at all. Seriously, pointing at the press release of 1-2 game shops is proof to you?

Why am I even asking ... Roll You need to be forced to look deeper or else you will not believe it. I am only wasting my time with you. You do not want to know or care about it. You are happy with Steam, just like they want you to be. You are too young to know what you are missing.


If data that shows retail sales falling and digital distribution increasing, data taken from financial reports that have to be accurate by law is not "proof" what the hell is? Neither was it based on 1-2 shops, the sources I posted covered three of the largest specialist game suppliers, GameStop, Origin and Steam. Quickly dismissing GameStop is also ********, its probably the largest specialist distributor that has stores, online sales and digital distribution.

Your fixated hatred of Steam has also blinded you to the fact that over the course of the "discussion" I have not been talking purely about Steam.

Whitehound wrote:
What is it that Steam has to offer? Did you take a look at all their games? Sure they are cheap, but they are crap as hell, too..


Also this, WTF? Every place you buy games from have good games and bad games.

Anyway you ar either the stupidist person in the world or your a troll. I am moving towards troll, surely noone can be as ******** as you.
Whitehound
#55 - 2012-04-03 16:27:22 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Anyway you ar either the stupidist person in the world or your a troll. I am moving towards troll, surely noone can be as ******** as you.

So after all this talk is hate all you got?

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Sobach
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2012-04-03 16:34:16 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Sobach wrote:
Frankly, you're coming across as one of those paranoia nutcase that fortifies their house and turns their basement into a nuclear bunker because they think the feds are coming after them, apparently right before a global nuclear war will happen.

American nonsense... As I asked before, what gives you the right to complain to a game maker when their games have no value to you? No one

And so they will not listen to you when you do. Some will pretend, some will try and succeed, but the majority is treating you like a cashcow, because you do not value their game and as a result do they only take your money and leave you with nothing of value. The game makers certainly do value their products.


again, you start spouting off your nonsense without even attempting to address the points I've raised, but proceed quote me and argue issues you have with other posters Roll

Firstly, I don't need anything to "give me the right" to complain to a game dev, that right is inherent whether you're a customer or not, especially in today's world of social media. Case in point, just look at Bioware's Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, or our own Mittani-Gate

Secondly, your entire concept of value and whatnot simply doesn't apply to everyone, and certainly not me (you also seems to be assuming every game I buy is through digital distribution, which is also false). I rarely ever purchase games unless i'm 100% certain that I'll like it, or it's a must-play for me (and most tends to be single-player games). So just exactly why, and what would I be complaining about? The inability to sell games? I don't sell them anyway, so it's a non-issue to me. Stop forcing your own "values" and scenarios on others especially when they don't even apply

Whitehound wrote:
What is it that Steam has to offer? Did you take a look at all their games? Sure they are cheap, but they are crap as hell, too. This is the state of your vision of digital distribution! But as long as you can dream about it does it not matter to you why it is the way it is


Again, you're implying that since it's on there, that means I automatically want to buy it. Obviously not every game on steam is good, but neither is every retail boxed game either. I don't consider Portal, TF2, DE:HR, HL2, Bastion, CoH, DAO, or Civ5 to be "crap as hell" games, do you?

as for what else it has to offer, I've said it before, but I guess I'll say it again, it offers a nice easy catalog of games for me to install/uninstall at will, and it saves me from having to dedicate another bookshelf/box just to keep the physical copies in. Maybe you don't mind filling up your house with pc game boxes, but I have better use for my living space

Whitehound wrote:
Maybe I do come across like some militant American fascist to you (... Lol ...) but you sure come across like some kid who has not got a clue and hopes that it will all sort itself out.


naw, you just sound like a paranoid troll, but I guess that point flew over your head as well.
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#57 - 2012-04-03 16:35:23 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Anyway you ar either the stupidist person in the world or your a troll. I am moving towards troll, surely noone can be as ******** as you.

So after all this talk is hate all you got?


Hate? No certainly not, I find you amusing and slightly pitiful. You threw any semblance of worthwhile discussion away ages ago, resorting to personal attacks, refuting sourced evidence whilst providing none in return and providing no value to the discussion whatsoever.
Whitehound
#58 - 2012-04-03 16:37:40 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Anyway you ar either the stupidist person in the world or your a troll. I am moving towards troll, surely noone can be as ******** as you.

So after all this talk is hate all you got?


Hate? No certainly not, I find you amusing and slightly pitiful. You threw any semblance of worthwhile discussion away ages ago, resorting to personal attacks, refuting sourced evidence whilst providing none in return and providing no value to the discussion whatsoever.

No, you do hate me. Calling me ******** is hate. Now you are a liar, too.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#59 - 2012-04-03 16:39:36 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Anyway you ar either the stupidist person in the world or your a troll. I am moving towards troll, surely noone can be as ******** as you.

So after all this talk is hate all you got?


Hate? No certainly not, I find you amusing and slightly pitiful. You threw any semblance of worthwhile discussion away ages ago, resorting to personal attacks, refuting sourced evidence whilst providing none in return and providing no value to the discussion whatsoever.

No, you do hate me. Calling me ******** is hate. Now you are a liar, too.


Telling the truth is not hatred, is calling a dog a dog hate? Is calling a car a car hate? You are either stupid or a troll, whichever of those is the truth it makes you a ******.
Whitehound
#60 - 2012-04-03 16:55:26 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
Telling the truth is not hatred ...

Yes, it is. When you hate someone one and express it does it become the truth.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.