These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Titan changes - update

First post First post First post
Author
Retar Aveymone
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1001 - 2012-04-18 16:26:48 UTC
CynoNet Two wrote:
Cid Tazer wrote:
I think I understand what you view the roles as hictor dealing with subcaps and dictor dealing with caps+/mobile bubbler. Unfortunately I don't think CCP Greyscale agrees with you. My reading of CCPs view is dictor for more mobile fleets and hictor for heavy hitting/more stationary fleets. Unfortunately I think due to cap/active tank issues since the bubble disabling remote repping, the hictor doesn't perform the role of heavy bubbler as effectively as a dictor does with its speed tank.

Yeah we need to correct this misconception. HICs were heavy bubblers back in the days of AOE doomsdays (hell, AOE DD's are the whole reason HICs were introduced). Unfortunately things were never rebalanced for Dominion-era supercaps and now we have titans blapping everything. And as we rebalance it makes sense to review ship roles at the same time :)

Yeah, though obviously a HIC rebalance shouldn't hold up fixing titans now.
Magnifikus Erzverwirrer
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#1002 - 2012-04-18 16:31:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Magnifikus Erzverwirrer
Retar Aveymone wrote:
CynoNet Two wrote:
Cid Tazer wrote:
I think I understand what you view the roles as hictor dealing with subcaps and dictor dealing with caps+/mobile bubbler. Unfortunately I don't think CCP Greyscale agrees with you. My reading of CCPs view is dictor for more mobile fleets and hictor for heavy hitting/more stationary fleets. Unfortunately I think due to cap/active tank issues since the bubble disabling remote repping, the hictor doesn't perform the role of heavy bubbler as effectively as a dictor does with its speed tank.

Yeah we need to correct this misconception. HICs were heavy bubblers back in the days of AOE doomsdays (hell, AOE DD's are the whole reason HICs were introduced). Unfortunately things were never rebalanced for Dominion-era supercaps and now we have titans blapping everything. And as we rebalance it makes sense to review ship roles at the same time :)

how about fixing artilleris and maelstroms? ohwait they work well

and your hic bla bla hic was introduced to tackle supers in lowsec
Retar Aveymone
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1003 - 2012-04-18 16:33:12 UTC
steave435 wrote:

I admire the effort you're putting into making your ship stay broken, but you make many obvious and basic errors, such as assuming a loki for every dictor ever, claiming you ought to be required to fit deadspace mods on a ship that is essentially a suicide vest, and (as usual) trying to pretend that you ought to balance based on a single titan in isolation which is what you do when you try to pretend tracking matters.
ISD LoneLynx
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1004 - 2012-04-18 16:48:55 UTC
Some offensive replies were deleted.

Please keep your discussions civil.

ISD LoneLynx Lieutenant Support Team and Resources [STAR] Interstellar Services Department

CCP Greyscale
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1005 - 2012-04-18 17:05:21 UTC
I'm honestly reluctant to push this change any further at this point, and we're reasonably hopeful that the combination of the locked-targets reduction, the damage reduction and the tracking nerf will give people enough wiggle room to fly a dictor through without touching the sides. Obviously it'd be nicer to know for sure, but we feel that the changes as-is are the best balance of effectiveness and risk right now. We'll keep an eye on developments on TQ and see where we go from there, but we'd very much like to see these changes actually get properly explored in practice before making them more extreme.
Eve Carel
SWAT Team Sales Consultants
#1006 - 2012-04-18 17:13:03 UTC
Magnifikus Erzverwirrer wrote:
Retar Aveymone wrote:
CynoNet Two wrote:
Cid Tazer wrote:

how about fixing artilleris and maelstroms? ohwait they work well

and your hic bla bla hic was introduced to tackle supers in lowsec

This.

This is the reason Raiden is as bad as it is right now.
Cid Tazer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1007 - 2012-04-18 17:26:35 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
I'm honestly reluctant to push this change any further at this point, and we're reasonably hopeful that the combination of the locked-targets reduction, the damage reduction and the tracking nerf will give people enough wiggle room to fly a dictor through without touching the sides. Obviously it'd be nicer to know for sure, but we feel that the changes as-is are the best balance of effectiveness and risk right now. We'll keep an eye on developments on TQ and see where we go from there, but we'd very much like to see these changes actually get properly explored in practice before making them more extreme.

I can respect that view. It would be nice to hear about CCP Greyscale being present at a large fight with Titans to see how things work in practice on TQ (not saying he hasn't done that but we haven't heard if he has. We know Veritas spies on big fights all the time to see how TiDi is working. Would be nice to know if the ship balance team is doing the same thing). There will always be corner cases to a complex system like this but if we can get something that works 95% of the time as desired, then I think there will be much less rage.
Retar Aveymone
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1008 - 2012-04-18 17:37:26 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

I mean, don't get me wrong: all of these changes are good and appreciated. It's just that dictors are critically important to titan balance because of their ewar immunity: you can't be flexible and tackle them with something else (as mentioned, it is technically possible to tackle them with hics but not really practical).
Cathrine Kenchov
Ice Cold Ellites
#1009 - 2012-04-18 17:43:29 UTC
Cid Tazer wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

I can respect that view. It would be nice to hear about CCP Greyscale being present at a large fight with Titans to see how things work in practice on TQ (not saying he hasn't done that but we haven't heard if he has. We know Veritas spies on big fights all the time to see how TiDi is working. Would be nice to know if the ship balance team is doing the same thing). There will always be corner cases to a complex system like this but if we can get something that works 95% of the time as desired, then I think there will be much less rage.

That is actually a very good point. The idea of devs watching real battles, both small and large, is a nice one. Lets us players know that they are taking an extremely active interest in the changes.

I love the changes so far Greyscale, they look well thought out, and it looks like i'll be dual-propping my dictors from now on!
Magnifikus Erzverwirrer
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#1010 - 2012-04-18 18:05:42 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

why not adding the 5 scanres too again?
or is that comming with bridge fix?

greyscale goonpet...
CynoNet Two
GSF Logistics and Posting Reserves
Goonswarm Federation
#1011 - 2012-04-18 18:14:12 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

This is especially relevant here:

CynoNet Two wrote:

So yeah it's hugely game-breaking because dictors are required for the initial tackle to initiate a fight (catching titans sieging a tower without support)... without which many fights would not begin in the first place.

Titans are still killing regular MWDing dictors on sisi right now, with no change to their fleet composition or fitting. The tracking nerf did little, and the max target limit has utterly no effect in these situations where dictors are trying to get an initial tackle on unsupported supercaps.
If anything, increase the ratio on the new tracking formula and relax the target limit for all the good it does - the target limit was a counterpart to the scan res nerf afterall.

We'll be on SiSi again testing this as soon as the current reboot completes, and I encourage you to come see the effects in practice.
Magnifikus Erzverwirrer
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#1012 - 2012-04-18 18:21:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Magnifikus Erzverwirrer
CynoNet Two wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

This is especially relevant here:

CynoNet Two wrote:

So yeah it's hugely game-breaking because dictors are required for the initial tackle to initiate a fight (catching titans sieging a tower without support)... without which many fights would not begin in the first place.

Titans are still killing regular MWDing dictors on sisi right now, with no change to their fleet composition or fitting. The tracking nerf did little, and the max target limit has utterly no effect in these situations where dictors are trying to get an initial tackle on unsupported supercaps.
If anything, increase the ratio on the new tracking formula and relax the target limit for all the good it does - the target limit was a counterpart to the scan res nerf afterall.

We'll be on SiSi again testing this as soon as the current reboot completes, and I encourage you to come see the effects in practice.

you ever heard about launching bubble and cloak? ccp please fix we are terrible at eve

and a regular dictor couldnt be killed by a titan before nerf, IF it wasnt standing still...
Koby Botick
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1013 - 2012-04-18 20:56:05 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

So with your "oh ye with little faith" text with "fly a dictor through without touching the sides" you actually meant it like in this instructional video, right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4CQfaBGWSo
SuperBeastie
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1014 - 2012-04-18 21:05:00 UTC
I was strongly opposed to the nerf in its previous forms. I love the nerf as it is just a couple things to consider.

• cap ships can get well bellow 2000 sig reducing the damage they take from xl guns
  • why keep the three target nerf it was added as locking 8 targets and waiting for people to have crap trans was an issue. That should no longer be a issue.

[center]SuperBeastie's Third Party Service My in-game Channel is Supers Third Party[/center]

I'm Down
Perkone
Caldari State
#1015 - 2012-04-18 21:09:29 UTC  |  Edited by: I'm Down
CCP Greyscale wrote:

dude, target painters completely remove the damage reduction on most ships. Tracking is the same. Locking targets isn't the problem. How in any way is this a stop gap measure.

Your blind ambition and desire to ignore the reasoning we're laying down is the whole reason CCP has a **** reputation of dealing with it's customers.

I'm not saying I'm acting great here, but honestly, being nice didn't work, so being a **** is just another mechanic to try.

Why are you wasting valuable time and resources on a fix that has about 1% value to the problem and shows shear lack of competence on the issue?

If you're looking for a much more valuable temporary fix:

Increase super cap gun res to 2500 for now
Decrease tracking by 75%.
Add a bonus to siege of +100% tracking... resulting in normalized dread tracking based on current performance.

The end. Not game breaking, game changing, but at least fixes a very large part of the problem. None of it requires special coding. Get rid of these garbage ideas and use something that works within the current game mechanics and reality. It doesnt' WTF overpower ships like carriers either.

Then... go back and fix the damn tracking formula later.
steave435
Perkone
Caldari State
#1016 - 2012-04-18 22:18:55 UTC  |  Edited by: steave435
Quote:
such as assuming a loki for every dictor ever

Yes, if you want to go up against a supercap fleet, you should bring the appropriate bonuses. If you don't, it's your own fault

Quote:
claiming you ought to be required to fit deadspace mods on a ship that is essentially a suicide vest

Since the assumption of this thread is that cost isn't a balancing factor, cheap faction propulsion mods is a fair assumption, but like I said, I didn't even include them in the numbers, and I still don't. Faction mods, implants, boosters and the fact most titans are not fully meta 14 (best officer) fit like the ones I've used in my calculations just push the balance even further to the Dictors advantage

Retar Aveymone wrote:
and (as usual) trying to pretend that you ought to balance based on a single titan in isolation which is what you do when you try to pretend tracking matters.

Tracking doesn't matter when you have to be within ~40-50k or so and keep full transversal, but it matters very much when you only have to be within ~100k and only keep a fraction of your maximum transversal.

Even today, titans won't blap well piloted dictors. I remember one fight in particular where a small group of good dictor pilots managed to keep our Titans, SCs and a few carriers there for about an hour since they had either bookmarks or cov ops/recons providing warp ins on us. They'd land, drop a bubble, burn out of it and warp before the titans could get a lock, and since our support was in Tengus and had lost all/almost all the tackle already, they were also unable to clear them of since they missiles wouldn't hit before they had already warped out again. With the damage scaling enabling them to survive getting hit so they can be repped/have more time to get out and tracking getting cut in half so they're much harder to hit anyway, the Dictor pilot would have to be extremely bad in order to not survive.

Here are some tracking examples. Hit probability is on the y-axle and percentage of maximum transversal on the x-axle, each step represent 5%
Avatar VS a Sabre using various combinations of MWD, AB and TPs at 50k: http://tinypic.com/r/34h74ad/5
Graph 1: AB on, no TPs applie
Graph 2: MWD on, no TPs applie
Graph 3: AB on, TPs applie
Graph 4: MWD on, TPs applie
As you can see from the graph, at 50k (which is the maximum spread you should expect since any further means that ships on opposite ends of the sphere would be out of rep range of each other), you only need to keep up 20% of your transversal to reduce ChanceToHit to 5% even in the worst case scenario where you're both using the MWD and is being painted. If you're either not painted or using your AB, ~12% transversal is enough, and ~3% if you're using your Ab and not being painted

That alone means you won't get killed at that range as long as you pilot properly, and that's before even taking tank, sig damage reduction and what ammo type the titan would need to use at that range into account. Since we're assuming a non-******** pilot here, he will turn off his MWD and switch to AB if he notice that he's starting to get locked by a lot of hostile caps, so he's either going to get shot at by a small number of titans without TPs applied while his MWD is running, or by a possibly large number of titans with TPs applied while his AB is running.
MWD, no TPs at 10, 25, 50 and 100k: http://tinypic.com/r/xopr39/5
Assuming ChanceToHit at 5% for 2500 damage/titan applied after sig reduction means it can take roughly 7 synchronized volleys (otherwise it'll get repped in between). That means it takes 140 titans synchronizing their volleys in order to kill a Sabre. If you allow 140 titans to lock you and you fail to maintain the tiny amount of transversal required to keep their hit chances below 5% each (3% transversal at 10k, 6% at 25k, 12% at 50k and 23% at 100k), you deserve to die, especially since you should have switched to your AB long before that happens. The numbers required go up even more since any titans that's not in optimal either suffers an additional hit chance penalty, or reduced damage if he does hit

Let's assume for a second though that the hostile fleet is the best bunch of pilots in EVE, and they can synchronise their lock times well enough that you won't even have time to turn off your MWD before you get painted and shot at by their entire fleet at once. Avatar VS painted Sabre at 10, 25, 50 and 100k: http://tinypic.com/r/z0jv8/5
You should still be able to maintain ChanceToHit at 5% or lower since that only requires 4% transversal at 10k, 10% at 25k, 20% at 50k and 40% at 100k, but only 2.25 titans need to hit to kill you (yes, that is possible due to hit quality variations and each guns hit chance being calculated separately), however you still need to fail to keep ChanceToHit at 5% or lower against 45 titans. If they manage to synchronize THAT perfectly while you fail to keep transversal, you should die, and again this doesn't even account for ammo types needed

However, both of those are situations that shouldn't even arise. You should have probers, cloakies and/or bookmarks (or failing that, a wreck or can or whatever from something that died) providing you warp ins close to the supers and then use your MWD for no more then a single cycle before switching to AB and closing the rest of the way with that.

AB, TPs applied at 10, 25, 50 and 100k: http://tinypic.com/r/2dabzag/5
With a 5% ChanceToHit for 350 damage/titan, which means he can take 50 synchronized volleys hitting. That means there would have to be 250 titans there that you've failed to keep the required transversal (3% at 10k, 6% at 25k, 12% at 50k and 23% at 100k) against. Again, this number goes up more when accounting for ammo types, and if you let that many titans get low transversal on you, you deserve to die.
steave435
Perkone
Caldari State
#1017 - 2012-04-18 22:33:00 UTC
I'm Down wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

dude, target painters completely remove the damage reduction on most ships. Tracking is the same. Locking targets isn't the problem. How in any way is this a stop gap measure.

If you truly believe that, you really haven't run the numbers. Even a Raven (460 sig base, should be one of the biggest BS around) won't go any higher then 925 with 3 LSEs, 3 shield rigs and 4 domination TPs with max skills after the Loki bonus is applied, which still gives it a 78.6% damage reduction. It won't be able to MWD without that going up, but maybe we'll finally have a reason to consider dual propping BS so they can move a bit faster without becoming vulnerable to that. probably not since damage will go down so much anyway, but if you find it's an issue, that AB gives you ~4 times higher speed while heating it, which you can do for a very long time, and that should allow you to get under the guns of enough titans that you can tank the rest with reps from your logis.
CynoNet Two
GSF Logistics and Posting Reserves
Goonswarm Federation
#1018 - 2012-04-18 23:01:53 UTC
steave435 wrote:
Massive wall of text wasting alot of time explaining how tracking works while ignoring something absolutely fundemental that has been posted on every page in this thread.

Apparently we can't adjust text size on these forums, so you get your own special image. I hope it helps clear things up. Although considering you haven't read the last 50 pages I don't expect you to get this, despite the larger text size and nice friendly font.

Enjoy!
http://i.imgur.com/bnlZZ.jpg
steave435
Perkone
Caldari State
#1019 - 2012-04-18 23:12:18 UTC  |  Edited by: steave435
Titans are generally not spread out over 100k (or at least not the majority of them) because that causes issues with rep range etc, and as I showed, that Sabre can take 50 full titan volleys while having 0 transversal and still survive, even while painted. I'm not trying to say you won't get hit by any titans at all (although that is a possible outcome if you go with the quick in, drop bubble, quick out approach instead of trying to stay there), I'm saying that you should easily be able to keep transversal against enough of them to survive getting hit by the remaining few.

If they are spread out over 100k, we showed a few days ago how to deal with that, killing 2 titans with a significant part of our BS fleet surviving, despite the remaining hostile titans and supers that far off.
Jarna Civire
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1020 - 2012-04-19 02:31:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarna Civire
:PAGE52SNIPA:

steave435 wrote:
Titans are generally not spread out over 100k (or at least not the majority of them) because that causes issues with rep range etc, and as I showed, that Sabre can take 50 full titan volleys while having 0 transversal and still survive, even while painted. I'm not trying to say you won't get hit by any titans at all (although that is a possible outcome if you go with the quick in, drop bubble, quick out approach instead of trying to stay there), I'm saying that you should easily be able to keep transversal against enough of them to survive getting hit by the remaining few.

If they are spread out over 100k, we showed a few days ago how to deal with that, killing 2 titans with a significant part of our BS fleet surviving, despite the remaining hostile titans and supers that far off.

But the problem with your logic is that you are flat out ignoring what ccp is saying. CCP has said they DO NOT WANT TITAN GUNS HITTING SOME TARGETS. Even if the titan shot 1000 times at the target and only hit once, killing that target with the volley, that is more broken then ccp wants.

I can tell you this though, I spent most of the day testing with 12-13 titans, all bumped to about a 50km spread. No matter where the dictor was he was volleyed while target painted by someone of the group. Just because the "math" says it should be impossible, doesn't mean you account for every variation. The math on tracking says x titan shouldn't hit the target, but that doesn't mean y and z titans wont hit the target because they are at a different range or using different ammo.

Transversal means nothing on one target if when you are target painted and webbed you get alphed by another.