These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Banks. We need them.

Author
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#81 - 2012-03-18 17:25:04 UTC
Excuse me if I'll chill down the thread.

CCP won't support banking in EvE, because their economy would vaporize under a mainstream banking system. Markets are vastly too illiquid to support "big players", individuals and alliances can heavily affect even the largest EvE markets already.
EvE would need 10 times as many RL players before it could smoothly support big players like banks (I mean 10T+ being moved on the markets by each big player every day).

They did all the possible to brake money velocity and segregate it, they won't implement one of the best big velocity magnifiers.
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#82 - 2012-03-18 17:30:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake Andarius
RAW23 wrote:
That's not true. Just ask yourself this: can all 1.8billion be spent in Jita at the same time? The answer is no because the money supply remains the same. There is still only 1bil in isk available in total to spend. If the depositor with the billion in his account takes it out to spend in Jita then when the guy with 800mil in his account rocks up five minutes later to withdraw his money, there will be nothing there to give him.

Adunh Slavy wrote:
The money supply in Eve is still 1 billion ISK, not 1.8B. The bank ledger now has a debt of 1 Billion ISK for that depositor. What has been created is a 1 Billion ISK debt. Let me ask you honestly, will you trade me your dread for the 1 billion ISK that Hexxx owes me, or would you prefer some ISK in your wallet?

Even if banks do not issue "commercial bank money" (i.e. checks that can be exchanged as if it were currency), the money supply is still increased when deposits are made to savings accounts. "The money supply is commonly defined to be a group of safe assets that households and businesses can use to make payments or to hold as short-term investments. For example, U.S. currency and balances held in checking accounts and savings accounts are included in many measures of the money supply." - Federal Reserve website.

Despite the money supply being increased, the point that both of you made is extremely important. In EVE, while the money supply would increase from strictly the amount of ISK in the universe (MB) to M2 [currency in circulation and ISK in savings accounts], the currency in circulation (M1) would not be additionally be increased through the usage of "commercial bank money" (or checks good for debt obligations).

The end result of banking would be that money supply would increase in EVE exactly as much as it does in the real world. However, the amount of currency in circulation (M1) would not be additionally increased by the usage of "commercial bank money" (i.e. checks). This means that the amount of purchases being made at any given time cannot exceed the base money supply (MB); however, the increase in money supply means that more purchases are being made than would have been made if there were no banks.

Edit: As a sidenote, I want to say that you guys are awesome for having this discussion in MD. This discussion of economic theory is the kind of thing that I look forward to reading in MD.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#83 - 2012-03-18 17:40:16 UTC
Jake Andarius wrote:
As a sidenote, I want to say that you guys are awesome for having this discussion in MD. This discussion of economic theory is the kind of thing that I look forward to reading in MD.

So true, in 2009 I knew nothing, zero, nada about anything even vaguely related to markets, economy, finance, bonds etc.

Then MD happened and now I am an happy RL trader bunny P
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#84 - 2012-03-18 17:44:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake Andarius
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
CCP won't support banking in EvE, because their economy would vaporize under a mainstream banking system. Markets are vastly too illiquid to support "big players", individuals and alliances can heavily affect even the largest EvE markets already.

EvE would need 10 times as many RL players before it could smoothly support big players like banks (I mean 10T+ being moved on the markets by each big player every day).

Assuming that a solid banking system (cannot be destroyed by scamming) could be created by players, would you then not support that development? Would you support a 1 trillion ISK bank but not a 10 trillion ISK bank? Do you think the problem of illiquid markets is that wealth is concentrated at the top where only a few players can massively effect the markets? Could bank loaning then actually change that scenario where purchasing power starts to move from the top to the middle, making markets more stable in the process?
David Forge
GameOn Inc.
#85 - 2012-03-18 18:14:01 UTC
Jake Andarius wrote:
Edit: As a sidenote, I want to say that you guys are awesome for having this discussion in MD. This discussion of economic theory is the kind of thing that I look forward to reading in MD.

Ditto. These threads are great reads no matter what side of an issue one happens to be on.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#86 - 2012-03-18 18:18:08 UTC
Jake Andarius wrote:

Assuming that a solid banking system (cannot be destroyed by scamming) could be created by players, would you then not support that development? Would you support a 1 trillion ISK bank but not a 10 trillion ISK bank? Do you think the problem of illiquid markets is that wealth is concentrated at the top where only a few players can massively effect the markets? Could bank loaning then actually change that scenario where purchasing power starts to move from the top to the middle, making markets more stable in the process?

I am not CCP so my "would you then (not) support that development" would be irrelevant.

What I know is that Forex has been introduced to smooth out the currency markets, that required introducing some concepts like leverage and margin trading. Not sure how to finely mesh the mechanism in commodity markets, RL introduced futures (but in EvE commodities are not affected by seasons / whatever). This in turn would involve adding in game support for something like that, implementing 4 decimal digits markets and whatsnot.
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#87 - 2012-03-18 18:34:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake Andarius
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Jake Andarius wrote:

I am not CCP so my "would you then (not) support that development" would be irrelevant.

I am strictly talking about a player created bank with utterly no required involvement from CCP. If such a thing developed, CCP would almost certainly adjust their mechanics (ISK creation, etc.) accordingly rather than shut down a player creation. I was just wondering if you would support that group of players, assuming that their system was solid (not scam-proof, but able to survive scams), since you have reservations about the ability of the market to handle the influx of purchases.
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#88 - 2012-03-18 18:46:53 UTC
Akeirah wrote:
If there are to be multiple banks working similar methods, a cooperation of sorts would be needed, if nothing other than a shared blacklist of characters that have run off with loans or bank funds, and IP addresses of those who took bank funds as well. Neither of these is entirely secure, but it does provide some matter of security.

I just wanted to point out that this is one of the best ideas of this thread. A lot of the solutions that have been proposed have relied on CCP implementing some mechanic. This is a simple, player-based solution to a problem. It is not capable of creating the conditions for a bank on its own, but this along with several other similar measures is exactly what is needed to create the conditions under which players can actually create successful banks.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#89 - 2012-03-18 19:01:52 UTC
Jake Andarius wrote:

I just wanted to point out that this is one of the best ideas of this thread. A lot of the solutions that have been proposed have relied on CCP implementing some mechanic. This is a simple, player-based solution to a problem. It is not capable of creating the conditions for a bank on its own, but this along with several other similar measures is exactly what is needed to create the conditions under which players can actually create successful banks.

IP bans were useful years ago, now most people are on dynamic IP anyway or can spoof it.

What's needed is something akin to my Sister Funds concept: assume that the other guys CAN and WILL stop playing or whatever (not every scam is due to a scamming plan) so spread the risk over many "peer to peer" holding entities.

The brain overlords here could even form a mathematical model, where statistically there would always be a loss (compared to 1 guy reliably keeping everything with no theft ever) but it could be bearable enough to form a viable business model.
Johnny Frecko
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2012-03-18 19:44:35 UTC
Adunh Slavy wrote:
Johnny Frecko wrote:
Stuff

Ok, you're kinda all over the place there, so not going to do a point by point. Please go read the document "Modern Money Mechanics" available on the web site of the Federal Reserve Bank, a private bank btw that is about as federal as Federal Express. (Got to love catchy standards).

(we'll assume a 10% reserve, a multiplier of 10).

You deposit $10 in hard cash, they keep $1 in hard currency (M1) and loan out $9 (M1) in hard currency. That $1 (M1) backs up your check book money of $10 (M2). How much money is in circulation? $19. $10 of that is check book money (M2). It is not a hard currency. $1 (M1) is sitting in a vault someplace. (these days though, it's on a computer at whatever central bank to which you are being subjected, but let's move on) You can easily exchange your check book money for hard currency if you want to, if the bank runs out of hard currency, not a big deal, they can get some from the central bank, which BTW does not exist in Eve.

In Eve, the check book money (M2) from some Bank run by a bunch of players can not be traded on the Eve market. I can't use it as ISK (M1). In the real world I CAN use check book money as just as easily as hard cash.

Eve banks can not create ISK, all they can create is credit and debt. The amount of ISK is not impacted by this at all. How fast the ISK can move, and how much can be gathered up and utilized is not the same thing as creating it.

You assume several things wrong : you're taking the U.S model and assume that that's how economies run. Which is wrong, it's how A SINGLE economy is run.

Most reserves are first of all incredibly low, bordering 3-5%.
Now, as to the mechanics themselves(again, assuming safety, no scams, "perfect" world).

It is true that that the bank "owes" money to people that physicly invest, But history(and empirical studies) show that people rarely withdraw their money from the bank.
infact, in a perfectly stable envirement, people would NEVER withdraw from a bank, as it's completely safe, and keeps generating intrest.
While the money base itself doesn't change in eve, it doesn't change in real life aswell. the only time the money base changes is when the government physicly adds hard cash to the economy.

I agree that phyiscal ISK isn't created from a bank(in eve), and that in that regard only the Velocity of the money would increase.
That would change if you could pay for services from your eve bank account.
yet the amount of isk people *think* they have increases. The bank will not be asked to repay the depositers pretty much ever.

Back on current topic, what VV said in the post above me could be an intresting idea(kind of like an insurence company relies on statistics to ensure profits). Though i'm not sure how to implement such an idea using current game mechanics.
Hexxx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#91 - 2012-03-18 19:55:19 UTC
Credit default swaps done out of game could help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_default_swap
TornSoul
BIG
#92 - 2012-03-18 20:22:52 UTC
Darth Tickles wrote:
I wonder if TornSoul would mind commenting on how much demand BMBE receives to get an idea of the saturation of the collateralized loan market.

Demand is very low (rarely more than a hand full of request a month)
There are occasional spikes, due to ingame changes usually around expansions, where people spot an opportunity they wish to exploit to the max (and don't have enough liquid ISK them self)

Darth Tickles wrote:

Now, if someone with the requisite trust to act as a "bank" can borrow seemingly unlimited money in huge individual quantities at absolutely bottom end interest rates, what possible reason could they have for introducing some complicated teller deposit system? Instead of taking on a small number of large, set-term deposits, now they have to take on tens of thousands of tiny individual deposits with no set term. They need to run a huge teller service which vastly increases transaction costs and security risks, and they need to keep a reserve of deposits sitting idle, all for approximately the same rate as they pay for large set-term deposits.

It makes absolutely no sense to the "banker", and vastly increases the already substantial risk to the depositor. It is quite literally illogical, such that no sane person could justify it based on fundamental principles of business.

Spot on.
This is pretty much the situation BMBE is in.

Introducing 100 times the work for 1% increase in profit - Pointless.
TornSoul
BIG
#93 - 2012-03-18 20:44:32 UTC
Trust etc aside, the main problem for a bank is how to make ISK to pay interest.

ISK making in EVE simply doesnt scale well beyond say 100B ISK.

Any bank in EVE offering (even very low) interest (and run profesionally and being trusted etc etc) will get FLOODED with ISK - Just look at EBANK.
(Too much) Success is the achilles heel of banking in EVE - Absurdly enough.

This is the number one reason why BMBE was never set up as a "true" bank (offering interest) - and have stuck with just doing loans.

Also - As long as we are stuck with collaterised loans (which I don't ever see changing) the demand for loans will be small'ish.
It sure as hell will never be able to pay for the interest on trillions and trillions ISK of deposits.

Which means a bank will need to invest it's ISK in other ventures to make the necessary ISK.

Which leads right back to what I started out with : "ISK making in EVE simply doesnt scale well beyond say 100B ISK."

---

There is one other option - Zero interest accounts.
But for people wanting to use (flock to) that, it needs to have a utility function (instead of interest)

By utility function I mean (as an example) the ability to use the ISK in your bank account in ways that you can not do ingame.

Examples of that would be 3rd party websites (news sites, services etc) that require (low) ISK payment.
You can of course still do that today (due to the API), but it has a "lag factor" (the API only updates so often).
This lag factor you could eliminate with a (player run) banking account. ("Banking account" might not even be the right name - Think PayPal or similar instead - Who does loans on the side)

Go to site X, pay for Y and get instant access - As the bank and the website would talk together and handle the transaction right away with no lag.

The utility function increase is rather low though, as (on average) you don't have to wait *that* long for the API to update your deposit to "site X".
Not to mention, there's really not that many sites out there offering that kind of "service" (where you need to pay ISK).

So... It's a bit of an (almost) non-starter to begin with.
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#94 - 2012-03-18 20:45:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake Andarius
TornSoul wrote:
Trust etc aside, the main problem for a bank is how to make ISK to pay interest.

ISK making in EVE simply doesnt scale well beyond say 100B ISK.

Shocked You bastard... you beat me to it! Big smile I had literally just typed this:

One other point that was brought up in a much older bank discussion thread was how to make sure that the bank could earn enough from loans and trading to cover the costs of interest on deposits. If I am understanding TornSoul correctly, the collateralized bond market might not be strong enough to sustain a huge influx of available ISK. What are the different ideas and opinions in regards to bank viability from a profit perspective?

Also, if I am not mistaken, the previous banking ventures exploded onto the scene very quickly. It seems like finding a profitable place to invest incoming ISK deposits would take a great deal of time. Even when an investment opportunity was selected, it would take months to find out how viable that investment is in the long term. That is, it would take a very long time for a bank to grow up to the point where it could properly allocate trillions of ISK (or even 1 trillion ISK). The only solution to that problem that I can think of is to put a cap on the bank's global deposits, and only raise it steadily over a very long period of time.
Kara Roideater
#95 - 2012-03-18 20:59:09 UTC
@Jake
I think what we need to do here is understand that there are two distinct but overlapping economies that we can talk about, as that will help us to avoid some confusions that are coming in on both sides of the debate from using overly monolithic language. So, economy 1, which is the core eve economy (call it CEE) is the economy of the ingame markets. Here you can only use actual real isk issued by CCP. Economy 2 is the direct player to player economy (DPPE) wherein financial arrangements of all sorts can be organised between players on their own terms. Here you can use promissory notes (bank cheques, digital transfers or whatevr) as well as isk.

The money supply in each economy will be different. In CEE the money supply is just however much isk there is. There is no multiplier here because nothing but isk can be used. Taking the definition of the money supply that you give, bank deposits do not count because they cannot be used 'to make payments'. In DPPE, on the other hand, the money supply could potentially be multiplied insofar as other players are willing to accept promissory notes of whatever kind from banks as well as accepting isk. But no increase in the money supply of DPPE would affect the money supply of CEE because all the increased supply in DPPE will be bank paper that cannot be moved to CEE.

So, when Adunh and I say that the eve money supply cannot increase, this applies only to CEE. It can potentially increase in DPPE, though. However, there is a question about how significant this fact is as I would assume that a) the DPPE is a fraction of the size of CEE, and b) the obstacles to getting a broad acceptance of promissory notes even in DPPE might be insurmountable with our current tools. Indeed, it might be better to think of DPPE as, itself, further split up into potentially overlapping zones where some bank paper will be accepted (given a group A trusts the paper issued by a bank B but not by a bank C, whereas a group D trusts both and a group E trusts neither), giving each group a different money supply. Not quite sure how this last is best understood, though, in terms of the money supply in each group compared to DPPE as a whole.
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#96 - 2012-03-18 21:12:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake Andarius
Quote:
I think what we need to do here is understand that there are two distinct but overlapping economies that we can talk about, as that will help us to avoid some confusions that are coming in on both sides of the debate from using overly monolithic language.

I think we almost completely agree to be entirely honest. Our disagreement is a disagreement in regards to terms. I believe that the definition of money supply includes M2 savings accounts (as we as M1 checking accounts). Adunh and you believe that M2 savings accounts are not included in the money supply. We could really just agree to disagree on that point.

The important question is what do savings & loans do to the economy? Adunh said earlier, "[The increase in consumer spending through savings & loans] is a different argument, this is the velocity and liquidity argument, which everyone agrees with as far as I can tell in the thread." Do we all agree that savings & loans would increase consumer spending such that the market prices become inflated beyond their prior point?
Kara Roideater
#97 - 2012-03-18 21:27:21 UTC
I have my doubts about this as I'm not convinced that there is sufficient demand for borrowing that can be matched with lender expectations of security to have anything more than a microscopic effect on the speed money moves. My experience lending isk and observing the investment market is that there is more than enough supply for borrowers borrowing under safe conditions (i.e. collateralised loans). I have never heard of someone failing to get the loan they wanted if security was available because there is already a huge amount of idle isk competing to be loaned out on good terms. Making even more available to loan will, I expect, drive down the cost of borrowing a bit but will not increase the incidence of borrowing.
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#98 - 2012-03-18 21:38:07 UTC
Quote:
I have my doubts about this as I'm not convinced that there is sufficient demand for borrowing that can be matched with lender expectations of security to have anything more than a microscopic effect on the speed money moves.

My question was more aimed at the theoretical implications of savings & loans given a lot of assumptions. Assuming that EVE banks arose, became commonplace, and were able to lend to the full extent of their deposits, that should increase consumer spending should it not?

I am not trying to corner you into agreeing with me. I just believe this is one principle of economic theory we fundamentally agree on. I wanted to generate some consensus on our economic theory discussion before moving back on topic to EVE banks specifically.
Vectis Guderian
Mandalore Mandate
S.N.O.T.
#99 - 2012-03-18 21:50:07 UTC
Jake Andarius wrote:
[quote=RAW23]

so true.
Hexxx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#100 - 2012-03-18 22:06:51 UTC
I would encourage people not to get stuck on loans as the only way for a Bank to make ISK. There are three major revenue streams for a bank as I see it (personal opinion and all);

1) Loans, limited market, scales well so long as the market for them is there (Collateralized and semi-Collateralized).
2) Production and Research, slow moving, hard to scale, challenges from an accounting perspective
3) Trading items/commodities, somewhat subject to market risk, scales well, challenges from an accounting perspective

A well managed operation with great reporting could use all three of these to meet interest obligations upwards of 500 billion, but likely not over a trillion with rates from 1%-2.5%.