These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Banks. We need them.

Author
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#181 - 2012-03-19 19:05:09 UTC
OfBalance wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
They lack of the mad scientist "insanity and genius" required to make something totally NEW. Therefore forget finance and whatever in EvE till they find new Creative people, with the capital C.

I don't think this paragraph was entirely just. Incarna was the beginning of just this sort of creativity, although not as far as we know geared toward the marketplace. Now, I won't stand here and argue Incarna wasn't a disaster or that I have any interest in walking in stations, dust514, or vampires. What I will say; however, is that the player base is now hyper-sensetive to just this sort of development.

It was not "insanity and genius". It was an escamotage to make players beta test the engine for another MMO that - akin to its theme - was bloodsucking off EvE teams and capital.

Insanity and genius were some of Steve Job's ideas. Incredibly "stupid, little things" that can change your everyday's life. Not a long term corporate plan you beta test for, otherwise you are shown "the door".

WHs were more of an insanity and genius idea. They did not exist, yet they perfectly fit the needs of a portion of playerbase and "snapped in" into the game like a natural contribution. They were the unexpected *pats the forefront*, "why haven't I thought about these before".

Incarna was expected, was overhyped and under-delivered and added a clunky, unnatural appendix to something that works perfectly without it.

Hope this shows the thin, yet big difference.
Mookie Quantico
Doomheim
#182 - 2012-03-19 20:33:36 UTC
Banks.. in EVE... just seeing EBANK referenced in this thread is the "kiss of death"...

I wonder if Bernie Madoff plays EVE.... Roll

Mook

OfBalance
Caldari State
#183 - 2012-03-19 20:48:25 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

It was not "insanity and genius". It was an escamotage to make players beta test the engine for another MMO that - akin to its theme - was bloodsucking off EvE teams and capital.

Insanity and genius were some of Steve Job's ideas. Incredibly "stupid, little things" that can change your everyday's life. Not a long term corporate plan you beta test for, otherwise you are shown "the door".

WHs were more of an insanity and genius idea. They did not exist, yet they perfectly fit the needs of a portion of playerbase and "snapped in" into the game like a natural contribution. They were the unexpected *pats the forefront*, "why haven't I thought about these before".

Incarna was expected, was overhyped and under-delivered and added a clunky, unnatural appendix to something that works perfectly without it.

Hope this shows the thin, yet big difference.

While I whole-heatedly agree with your assessment of incarna being all the wrong things, you cannot suggest it was not "creative," by textbook definition. They went in a completely unexpected direction pushing the walking in stations crap that were loosely related at best to the game thus far. They went "outside the box," so to speak.

All I'm trying to point out is, what constitutes great out-there creative design plans for the future is subjective. Supposing CCP rolled out an expansive plan to really invest time and effort over an 18 month (heh) period just to add depth to the markets. How popular do you think that would be with the general player base?

My guess is we'd have the same statue-shooting up-in-arms response because such a scheme would detract from the aforementioned fixing of existing game issues that everyone is now on about (rightly so). So before you go being too critical of CCP for loosing the magic, just remember that they're playing catch-up for years of misguided "creativity," already. Blink
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#184 - 2012-03-19 20:55:51 UTC
Ya, any kind of "market focused" projects will likely take place after multiple successful iterations of incarna, which is years away, if ever.
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#185 - 2012-03-19 21:15:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake Andarius
Darth Tickles wrote:
Kara Roideater wrote:
What's your view of third party collateralised loans? They seem to be a significant proportion of the market in this area but, technically, have all the fallibility of uncollateralised loans as the third party still needs to be trusted.

It's tricky. I'm tempted to be dishonest to not invite ambiguity...but **** it:

I think third parties are valid when someone has built up a reputation beyond any isk value and ultimately disassociated with any isk value. I think certain people become so well-known and trusted through an organic process of playing the game and interacting with people in corporations, alliances, the forums, eve-related groupings and subcommunities that they can be perceived to have gone beyond "having a price". It also helps if they're fabulously wealthy already, though this isn't absolutely necessary. Regardless, the amount of such people can probably be counted on two hands, maybe one.

I am curious if you could expand on your feelings towards the uncollateralized bond and trust market. I know you feel that, as a whole, it invites instances of devastating scamming such as Bad Bobby or Cosmoray, but it has also been a source of a good deal of success stories in terms of uncollateralized trust-based investing. How can someone build up a reputation without being trusted with uncollateralized debts in the first place? I basically am questioning this idea of "the good guys" and "the bad guys." Bad Bobby, Cosmoray, and Ricdic were some of the biggest good guys on MD at one point in time, so it cannot really be that there is just a group at the top that cannot scam. It seems more likely that uncollateralized loans incurs a great deal of risk as a whole, but that it is not a rotten apple through and through. There are plenty of people that are trustworthy. It is just a bit like playing a glorified game of minesweeper.

Edit: You should have been dishonest as to not invite ambiguity. Big smile

Edit 2: RAW23 is such a silly, silly goose. Nothing could possibly go wrong with me making this post.
Kara Roideater
#186 - 2012-03-19 21:23:13 UTC
Oh dear god no! Don't push that button!!!

Darth's views are on record if you evesearch his alt Elise Darkstar. But please ... for the love of god ... edit your post. Quick now! We've already had one lucky escape with Utumetsu.
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#187 - 2012-03-19 21:27:47 UTC
Jake Andarius wrote:
I am curious if you could expand on your feelings towards....

There's nothing to expand on. It's a stupid idea that has created far more "harm" than "good" (using the inherent values someone concerned with this issue would apply to them).

That said, what you want to do is build relationships with people, and then trust flows from that. I give you 5 isk, you give me ten isk is not a relationship. However, us working together on something, getting to know each other on a personal level where pixel spacemonies no longer matter, then I'll happily consider entering into trust based interactions.

The vast majority of successful public transactions of this sort are just people building up to a bigger scam or someone jerking themselves off about how (unnecessarily) "good" they are in a spaceships game (they ofthen get tired of this "goodness" then try "badness" and scam). I will admit that a small percentage actually use the money as leverage to build a base of capital then they move on having got all they need to their own and their lenders' benefit, but this percentage is so utterly tiny and invites so much other **** with it, that its practice is actually "bad" if you're not ignorant of the associated harm you're creating.

Again, I personally don't deal with the terms "good" and "bad" within the confines of the tos and eula, but those who do should consider the wider impact of their actions, even if those actions aren't inherently "bad" themselves. Fortunately the entire topic is moot, as unsecured loans have gone from rare to almost non-existent over the last few months, and are soon to be completely phased out as an institution as the last legacy borrowers disappear.
TornSoul
BIG
#188 - 2012-03-19 21:30:47 UTC
Banking in EVE is really dead simple

Axiom #1 (and only) : "You have to provide people an incentive for putting their ISK in your bank."

End of story.

*Everything* else traces straight back to that one line.

There exists only two incentives :

A: To make more ISK (interest)
B: Utility function (having the ISK in the bank somehow makes something easier, or possible in the first place )

I'll grant a 3rd one as well - But it's only for the minority
C : Idealistic reasons (people like the idea of bank and want to support/be apart of it simply because of that)

The "inverse" of Axiom #1 is :
"You should NOT give people reasons to NOT wanting to put ISK in your bank."

Of these there are tons and tons and tons of things.
Which just makes it that much harder to balance it with just the 2 "positives" of Axiom #1

- The fabled trust factor belongs here (don't give people reason to not trust you - like being an asshat on forums, contract scam etc etc, to name a couple)

- Lack of proper accounting and everything associated with that.
Note that proper accounting in and of itself does not imbue any incentive to put ISK in the bank!
Proper accounting in and of itself doesn't gain other people anything at all.
The same goes for anything else on the "inverse list"

- Security (tightly tied with accounting - But worth mentioning on it's own)
No matter how good the security, or the systems thought up to ensure it, or at least reduce the risk of failure - *still* doesn't give an incentive to put ISK in in the first place.

The "converse" list goes on and on....

==========================================

There's is absolutely nothing revelationary (is that a word?) in the above - It's common sense.

But I think it's getting drowned out in all the elaborate schemes for addressing the "Inverse Axiom" pit falls.

In my mind the future of banks in EVE depends solely on the "Utility function" (B) incentive
Because as most following this thread are already aware, ISK making in EVE doesn't scale well once you hit the 100B (give and take)
So unless you want to be a small time bank (which is fine, it just won't involve a lot of people then, by definition) then B is the one we need to "come up with".
Someone has to find that "great idea" (or more) for a Utility function for banks - and the rest will be history.

Until that happens however - It's pretty much all academics (which is good fun as well :-) )

Hexxx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#189 - 2012-03-19 21:41:56 UTC
Darth Tickles wrote:
Jake Andarius wrote:
I am curious if you could expand on your feelings towards....

There's nothing to expand on. It's a stupid idea that has created far more "harm" than "good" (using the inherent values someone concerned with this issue would apply to them).

That said, what you want to do is build relationships with people, and then trust flows from that. I give you 5 isk, you give me ten isk is not a relationship. However, us working together on something, getting to know each other on a personal level where pixel spacemonies no longer matter, then I'll happily consider entering into trust based interactions.

The vast majority of successful public transactions of this sort are just people building up to a bigger scam or someone jerking themselves off about how (unnecessarily) "good" they are in a spaceships game (they ofthen get tired of this "goodness" then try "badness" and scam). I will admit that a small percentage actually use the money as leverage to build a base of capital then they move on having got all they need to their own and their lenders' benefit, but this percentage is so utterly tiny and invites so much other **** with it, that its practice is actually "bad" if you're not ignorant of the associated harm you're creating.

Again, I personally don't deal with the terms "good" and "bad" within the confines of the tos and eula, but those who do should consider the wider impact of their actions, even if those actions aren't inherently "bad" themselves. Fortunately the entire topic is moot, as unsecured loans have gone from rare to almost non-existent over the last few months, and are soon to be completely phased out as an institution as the last legacy borrowers disappear.

In summary, to paraphrase;

"Anything that carries risk is bad. Taking a risk is stupid. Taking a risk and having it turn out good is bad too, because that makes other people think that taking a risk isn't stupid."

I'd hazard to guess that your idea of a good MD is one where the only possible activity is fully collateralized bonds.
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#190 - 2012-03-19 21:47:03 UTC
You can keep making ridiculous strawmen arguments, but I think I've knocked enough of them down already that the point has been made.

I'm actually kind of curious why you're still here...I thought it was apparent that you've been "dunked on" and we were moving on from your silliness.

It really doesn't matter to me if you want to follow me around for a couple more pages taking pointless bitter jabs, but you're really only wasting your own time at this point.
Kara Roideater
#191 - 2012-03-19 21:48:34 UTC
FFS Jake! I had work to do.

Darth Tickles wrote:
Fortunately the entire topic is moot, as unsecured loans have gone from rare to almost non-existent over the last few months, and are soon to be completely phased out as an institution as the last legacy borrowers disappear.

There were 35 new characters starting bonds in the 12 months Oct. 2009 - Sept. 2010 (including yourself Blink but I opted to leave out Curzon, although including him doesn't change the figures much). So, an average of just under 3 per month. What's the current rate? I found two new starts on the first few pages, so ...

The other stuff ... well, I should try not to completely sabotage my week's work so I'll try my hardest to leave that.
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#192 - 2012-03-19 21:56:07 UTC
Kara Roideater wrote:
There were 35 new characters starting bonds in the 12 months Oct. 2009 - Sept. 2010 (including yourself Blink but I opted to leave out Curzon, although including him doesn't change the figures much). So, an average of just under 3 per month. What's the current rate? I found two new starts on the first few pages, so ...

Idk, somebody else is welcome to fact-check, I can't be assed over internet spaceship bonds.
Hexxx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#193 - 2012-03-19 22:00:16 UTC
Darth Tickles wrote:
You can keep making ridiculous strawmen arguments, but I think I've knocked enough of them down already that the point has been made.

I'm actually kind of curious why you're still here...I thought it was apparent that you've been "dunked on" and we were moving on from your silliness.

It really doesn't matter to me if you want to follow me around for a couple more pages taking pointless bitter jabs, but you're really only wasting your own time at this point.

...I was just about to say the same thing about you. Big smile
Jake Andarius
Andarius Trading Corp.
#194 - 2012-03-19 22:55:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Jake Andarius
Grouchy Smurf wrote:
Now, I don't have enough experience with real life banking so feel free to ignore me if you want, but I have a strong feeling that if a well trusted bank created a daughter corporation and issued its shares as "check book money", most of the problems discussed in this thread would be resolved.

Almost on every game where people can earn an ever increasing amount of in-game money, the trading medium shifts from the in-game currency to more rare item. I don't see a reason why this won't work in EVE.

Yes, people won't be able to use the shares in the market place, but as long as they are honoured by the bank, people would accept them for trades in lieu of real currency.

Right?
Or am I too naive?

Sorry that this post was initially not responded to. The idea of "commercial bank money" was brought up by Adunh Slavy here (although Adunh Slavy's idea turned out to be proposing more than merely commercial bank money, and it was responded to here. The basic problem with commercial bank money that is not coded into EVE is that it actually makes transactions more difficult and it still has the same underlying problem in that banks cannot be currently trusted in EVE.

You mentioned issuing shares as the commercial bank money which made me think a bit more about it. Keep in mind the following proposal is not meant to be realistically added to EVE, but it is more a conceptualization of the theoretical possibilities of greater economic develops in EVE. Imagine CCP gave an empty corporation (which players could be elected to) the ability to create a different type of currency than ISK, let us say IBN. Then CCP built in to the markets and contracts a secondary payment option you could click to pay with IBN. The IBN to ISK ratio would be directly connected to a secondary currencies market that players could actively trade in. Then CCP just let the markets go. If the players controlled IBN correctly such that the currency inflated and deflated less than ISK, the markets would begin to see IBN used for more and more transactions. In the end, CCP could actually start reducing ISK faucets and begin to let IBN, a player-created currency, be the sole currency of the EVE universe. Just an interesting idea that popped into my head from your and Adunh's ideas.

Edit: CCP could actually allow for several different such corporations (say one for each race), and code it in so each is accepted at the market using prices generated from the secondary currency market. You could have several different players banks competing to make their currency the dominant, stable currency. All the while you would have a secondary market of several different player currencies.
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#195 - 2012-03-20 00:06:56 UTC
The True State of Banking in Eve

Why are you doing this?

If you're undertaking a huge project for ridiculous and unrealistic reasons, it is bound to fail. There's nothing inherently wrong with creating an Eve bank for its own sake. It is an ambitious project absolutely, but it is far from impossible. The opportunity to take on large, ambitious, risky, etc projects is part of what makes Eve great. If you're doing it with the recognition that it is a personal or group project in a hobby game that you play, then you are starting in the correct place; otherwise you're just fooling yourself, and the illusion will only last as long as you can maintain the self-delusion.

Realistic expectations.

Again, there is nothing inherently wrong with shooting for the moon. However, the greater the goal you set for yourself, the more critical and reflective you have to be of the projected path to that goal. Olympic athletes don't win gold medals just because they really believe in themselves; that internal faith is merely a necessary yet insufficient condition for success. The same principle applies in every endeavor, big or small.

Now, the key factors to consider when designing an Eve organization are fun, relationships, and income. This applies everywhere, from badass nullsec mercenaries to hisec mining consortium. These are the elements that will carry you through the bad times when everything doesn't go exactly as you envisioned it in your fevered imagination. This is the meat and potatoes of what you will be doing for hours and hours in an online game as you work towards your goal. Having a vision and some hubris is absolutely necessary to achieving great things, but it won't carry you all the way to your goal, not in a game. As you go through the process of planning each aspect of your bank ask yourself: Will this be fun? Will this be interactive and relationship building? Will it be worth my time?

Furthermore, is “banking” something you really want to do? I'm sure nobody would say no to having a space bank of their very own, but is everyone suited to being a spacebanker? Far from it. You have to be sure that once you get there, it's actually somewhere you want to be.

Trust.

Trust is dead. Deal with it. Investors have learned their lessons from the disasters of the past. New unsecured borrowers have slowed to a trickle, and the idea of somebody new gaining the requisite trust to undertake something remotely resembling a bank is farcical. It just plain isn't going to happen. This, however, is not a dead-end. The one name that everyone trusts and is the only possible backing for a new bank is Chribba. The only item you can extract value from while it is being held in collateral is BPOs. How you would go about building a partnership of initial funding and creating APIs tracking for all your deposits is the first realm of innovation. The point is, you can extract value from BPOs through copying or manufacturing while also using them as a base security for a bank. Any new bank that isn't 100% backed with Chribba will not even get off the ground, I guarantee it.

How you then compete to acquire deposits is another room for innovation. You may have secure backing, but you need to flesh out the details of how you convince people to deposit isk with you. I will add here that, as mentioned previously in the thread, teller deposits are a terrible idea on paper. There MAY be room here where you can innovate somehow to achieve cheaper rates with a teller system, but I highly doubt it. The other possibility is that you max out how much you can achieve with just set-term deposits, but again I highly doubt it. Teller deposit innovation is best left for a time where you actually need it, I doubt anyone ever will.

Market Share.

At the moment, the collateralized loan market is very small and insular. Nobody inside the existing clique has any reason to go to anyone new when they can deal with one of the few established players. What you will need to do is aggressively market collateralized loans as a popular concept. You need to innovate streamlined and appealing processes that can draw in new customers from outside a few MD denizens. There is an inherent logic to collateralized loans, you just need to hit the pavement and sell, sell, sell. In addition, there is even more room for premium collaterlaized borrowing involving what you are doing with Chribba actively using collateralized BPOs. Innovation in this area to run down costs and complications should open up huge potential loan markets.

Internal Organization.

Leading from the previous discussion about realistic expectations, you need to design the internal relationships and processes that make up your bank. You need to consider the balance of trust and effectiveness every functioning position will have, you need to consider redundancies for high turnover, remuneration, auditing and accounting. The more simple, automated, and less reliant on people your organization is, the more smoothly it will run. You also need to consider things like morale and persistence of vision, especially as the initial founding high wears off. You need to identify people with qualities that suit the position they're being given, not everyone is suited to loan origination or customer service for example.
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#196 - 2012-03-20 00:07:34 UTC
There you have a rough list of the issues and necessary innovations facing today's prospective banker. To me that all seems pretty boring, but that's the kind of work that needs to be done if you want any hope of remotely succeeding. If you guys want to go back to central banks, legions of independent auditors and trusted third parties, multiple banks to “spread risk”, and whatever other fancy you were discussing, then by all means don't let me interrupt you further. However, I have presented here the true issues facing banking as a concept in Eve, and if you really want to talk about “innovation”, then this is where you should be focusing your energies.
TornSoul
BIG
#197 - 2012-03-20 00:24:10 UTC  |  Edited by: TornSoul
Darth Tickles wrote:

Trust.
Trust is dead.

I have to disagree with your *conclusion* here. ("Any new bank that isn't 100% backed with Chribba will not even get off the ground, I guarantee it.")

1: More people than Chribba could pull this of (not many, perhaps a handful - maybe even more, due to point 2)
2: You vastly underestimate "greed" - Greed wins over (lack of) trust *any* day.
Offer enough incentive (interest) (but not too much, or "scam will be cried right away) and they'll come flocking.
Slowly at first, but then in avalanches of avalanches.
One could argue it's what killed EBANK. Too many accounts with too much ISK, got too tempting for someone in RL financial trouble, not too mention they got sloppy with it... what does a few hundred bill matter in defaults (and bad book keeping) if you got trillions..

The rest - I more or less agree with.
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#198 - 2012-03-20 00:41:48 UTC
I'm happy to disagree.

However, I invite people to spend hours and hours of their lives on such a project, and then open themselves to the tender mercies of the crowd to see if they'll succeed or not.
TornSoul
BIG
#199 - 2012-03-20 00:47:26 UTC
Show me a 99% sure way of making even as little as 1% return on 10's of trillions each month - and I'll accept the challenge. Lol

Hexxx
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#200 - 2012-03-20 01:49:10 UTC
Finally we get your thoughts laid out in detail. I may disagree with some, but it's largely philosophical and that's fine.

I will pick on one thing though - the idea that "Trust is Dead".

There have been three large Banks prior to EBANK and one AFTER it that collapsed. All of them have been major collapse. If your position is that Trust is dead, you would not be the first to predict it, and only one of many to be wrong about it. It's notable that Phaser gained most of it's customers from outside MD and EBANK also had a very large number of customers outside of MD.

Pre-EBANK Collapse

EVE Intergalatic Bank (EIB) - Collapsed cost 790 Billion
Fury Bank (FBANK) - Collapsed cost (had trouble tracking this one down) estimated at 250 Billion
Destiny Bank (DBANK) - Collapsed cost 646 Billion

EBANK Collapse - Deposits when frozen around 1.7 Trillion, unclear how much liquidated and returned to date....estimating 700 billion to 1 trillion realized losses.

Post-BANK Collapse

Phaser - Planned Fraud - Collapse cost of 1 Trillion, total loss.....6 months ago.