These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is the Titan nerf announced for April CCP kowtowing to GOONs?

Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#141 - 2012-03-15 17:49:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Dave Horizon wrote:
So yes a drake is going 9 times quicker than the carrier but can XL turrets still hit.... Yes they can because its still f**king huge.
…and that hugeness doesn't particularly matter to your turrets since the Drake would be about as easy to hit if it turned the MWD off.

Asuka Solo wrote:
Paying 50 bil isk for a ship that can only target 3 ships at once and not even fire on them.
Setting aside for a moment that it's not really true… yes? So what?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#142 - 2012-03-15 19:26:03 UTC
Asuka Solo wrote:
Paying 50 bil isk for a ship that can only target 3 ships at once and not even fire on them.

Goonswarm: not out to ruin Eve... just out to ruin Titan pilot's Eve.

God I hope they forget to pay their next sov bil and become the victim of a mass exodus of 80% of their member base.

As opposed to titans making all subcaps useless in a fight and thus, most players helpless.

Terminal Insanity
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#143 - 2012-03-15 19:30:40 UTC
I"ve been shat on by titans, but, thats what a ******* titan is for, Thats why you pay 60 billion isk for one. So you can easily kill smaller ****.

I mean, whats next, make Battleships unable to target frigates because they might one-shot a poor frigate pilot who cant afford a battleship?

"War declarations are never officially considered griefing and are not a bannable offense, and it has been repeatedly stated by the developers that the possibility for non-consensual PvP is an intended feature." - CCP

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#144 - 2012-03-15 19:40:36 UTC
Terminal Insanity wrote:
I"ve been shat on by titans, but, thats what a ******* titan is for, Thats why you pay 60 billion isk for one. So you can easily kill smaller ****.
Incorrect.
Signal11th
#145 - 2012-03-15 19:42:54 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Asuka Solo wrote:

Goonswarm: not out to ruin Eve... just out to ruin Titan pilot's Eve.

God I hope they forget to pay their next sov bil and become the victim of a mass exodus of 80% of their member base.

As opposed to titans making all subcaps useless in a fight and thus, most players helpless.

And your point being?

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#146 - 2012-03-15 19:53:05 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Terminal Insanity wrote:
Incorrect.

I disagree... you do buy bigger ships to shat on smaller ones. That is what a Titan is for many players maybe not for you I guess but bigger is better is always prevalent to a certain extent in RL Navy... are you going to try to tell me a battle ship cannot take down a rowboat? It does easily with a M-16 or Naval shotguns kept in ship lockers.
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#147 - 2012-03-15 19:57:02 UTC
Signal11th wrote:

And your point being?

That sucks for everyone but the 0.3% who fly titans?

It removes all but one tactic?

It makes it impossible for most alliances to win fights?

CCP dont want capital ships online?

Take your pick.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#148 - 2012-03-15 19:58:17 UTC
DarthNefarius wrote:

I disagree... you do buy bigger ships to shat on smaller ones. That is what a Titan is for many players maybe not for you I guess but bigger is better is always prevalent to a certain extent in RL Navy... are you going to try to tell me a battle ship cannot take down a rowboat? It does easily with a M-16 or Naval shotguns kept in ship lockers.

A titan is made for anti-capital work, not anti-everything.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#149 - 2012-03-15 19:59:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
DarthNefarius wrote:
I disagree... you do buy bigger ships to shat on smaller ones.
…and in that case, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. There's really no other way of saying it.

You buy bigger ships to get the role the bigger ship offers. For most bigger ships, that role is not to kill smaller ships (with the exception of carriers). The reason they don't have that role is because it's idiotic and removes content from the game. EVE does not adhere to the bigger-is-better-trap that all lesser games fall into, and the fact that titans broke this rule is one of the reasons it's getting these (and other, future) nerfs. The people who are getting upset by this change are the ones who have not understood how EVE is designed, and that's their problem — it certainly isn't a reason to keep ships that break the design principle.

A bigger ship is simply bigger. Whatever else the ship does is a function of its role, not its size.

Quote:
are you going to try to tell me a battle ship cannot take down a rowboat?
Look up Millennium Challenge 2002.
DarthNefarius
#150 - 2012-03-15 20:25:08 UTC  |  Edited by: DarthNefarius
baltec1 wrote:
DarthNefarius wrote:

A titan is made for anti-capital work, not anti-everything.

Show me a battleship anywhere that can't take out a fleet of rowboats. Only time a rowboat ever did significant damage to a ship was to the Carl Vincent & it was not at battle coms. If they had any warning they woulda blown the suicide rag Headz outa the ocean even if 50 came at them at once & a Battle ship woulda soaked up the explosion easily

lol I'd like to see Millennium Challenge 2002 suicide boats attempt that in RL the simulation has a big gapeing flaw in it.
OK a Titan is a larger ship maybe think of it as a Supercarrier like the Ronald Reagun or ??? still only examples you see of super capitols being taken out are from 2 meter vents or the Millenium Falcon yet both the Death stars did have small gun placements
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Ban Bindy
Bindy Brothers Pottery Association
True Reign
#151 - 2012-03-15 20:33:09 UTC
The whole titan / super carrier class was a mistake. Now the pilots who bought them are going to pay for it

Expanding the capital class would have made more sense

Ships that size should not be mobile at all, or only under really restricted conditions. But they should be very hard to beat in place

The current nerf is not so revolutionary it could not have waited for the next major update. What is the emergency

All this argument and attention to a few hundred ships

Meanwhile nobody helps the noobs except other noobs because older corps have been burned by spies

Make 1 sec safe for everybody and no targeting

Make .7-.9 sec function like now

Make .5-.6 sec more violent than now, allow limited cap entr

Make low sec friendly to one strong pos per corp with doomsday weapo

Make super caps into occasionally moveable base

Make more kinds of capital ships including T2 ship

Make more T2 and T3 batteship

Limit number of sov units per alliance or weaken them as numbers gro

Make more NPC stations in null se

Grow a big fat safe pool of new players in protected space and depend on the store about the re
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#152 - 2012-03-15 20:37:35 UTC
DarthNefarius wrote:
lol I'd like to see Millennium Challenge 2002 suicide boats attempt that in RL the simulation has a big gapeing flaw in it.
Yes. The flaw was that they assumed small boats weren't a threat and had to reset the exercise and forbid their use when it turned out that they were…
Ban Bindy
Bindy Brothers Pottery Association
True Reign
#153 - 2012-03-15 20:43:15 UTC
Despite what I said before, it would be a much smarter solution to buff the sub cap ships to kill titans more easily as a way of evening the fight. Customers don't like it when they lose functionality, and why should they? The solution here could have been to create a sub-cap titan killer, or a module that offers protection from Titan scanning. I have stopped buying caps for my alts since I don't know what they'll be able to do in six months.

There is way too much CCP giving functionality and then CCP taking it away in this game.
DarthNefarius
#154 - 2012-03-15 20:45:32 UTC  |  Edited by: DarthNefarius
Tippia wrote:
DarthNefarius wrote:
Yes. The flaw was that they assumed small boats weren't a threat and had to reset the exercise and forbid their use when it turned out that they were…

These small boats did not explode nor could you even in RL find that many Kamakazi's to put a large enough dent... Japan in WWII quicly went thru the numbers available & speed boats take a few shots in real life & explode from unstable untrained jihadi
RL suicide attackers all too often go poof way before they even get undocked or outa thier cars

Only RL way to successfully asymetrically fight large military ships is using mines ( in sea or on land IEDs) outlawed in Eve for some reason b4 I came here. Only suicide ships in RL would work if ship is in port & off battle coms or against non military transports.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#155 - 2012-03-15 20:59:41 UTC
…oh, and the reason battleships have fallen out of use is exactly because they are so vulnerable to smaller attack vessels in various forms.

Regardless, the fundamental fact remains: EVE does not follow a bigger-is-better design for the simple reason that it's a hideously bad concept. Asking large ships to be able to kill small ships just because they're larger makes no sense and isn't going to work (just like how price isn't a useful argument in a game designed around a concept of marginal improvement at exponential cost).

If you fly a big ship just because you think it will or should be able to take on the smaller ships, you're only fooling yourself. You pick a ship because of its role and function.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#156 - 2012-03-15 21:26:47 UTC
DarthNefarius wrote:

Show me a battleship anywhere that can't take out a fleet of rowboats. Only time a rowboat ever did significant damage to a ship was to the Carl Vincent & it was not at battle coms. If they had any warning they woulda blown the suicide rag Headz outa the ocean even if 50 came at them at once & a Battle ship woulda soaked up the explosion easily

OK a Titan is a larger ship maybe think of it as a Supercarrier like the Ronald Reagun or ??? still only examples you see of super capitols being taken out are from 2 meter vents or the Millenium Falcon yet both the Death stars did have small gun placements

A single torpedo

Andski
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#157 - 2012-03-15 21:44:13 UTC
Cearain wrote:
If you are going to ignore the real world than why are you arguing about sanity? It may not happen in the internet spaceship universe you imagine but that doesn't mean I’m insane if it happens in the one I dream of.

Also look at the Spanish versus the indigenous people of South America. There are slews of examples throughout history where better technology means one soldier can be worth hundreds.

Also your difficulties about getting hundreds of people in drakes doesn't mean it should be an automatic I win button if you succeed. The herd mentality of eve is hardly something that should be promoted even more.

Finally why bring battlecruisers to fight titans? Because every noob in your alliance wants to feel they are just as powerful as players who have invested years of time in the game? Why does the game have to be such that a battlecruiser fleet can beat a titan fleet and the titans can do nothing but bring herds of battcruisers themselves?

hmm yes CCP should reverse this nerf and just rewrite their marketing literature

"eve online: the sandbox where you are absolutely irrelevant until you are flying the most expensive ships"

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Kai Tel
State War Academy
Caldari State
#158 - 2012-03-15 21:47:00 UTC
Oh geesh, another goon thread.

While I don’t hate them from my perch, I am f'n sick of hearing about Goon this and Goon that and Goon ice and Goon pew, and Goon jesus, and Goons causing the end of the world and Goons being at the center of everything in EVE... What happened to the rest of you people in null sec? Are you just that Mittani's dude's lap pets now?

Why don't we ever hear about AAA doing something noteworthy or Raiden or Red Alliance or Solar Fleet or that UAX Death bunch, and all the rest of you people supposedly being good at pew-pew and holding sovereignty? Are you all just ball-less desk coasters for goon soda pop now? Man up, gang up, be scandalous, buy your own Dev, and go do something to push the goons off the front page news so we can remember that you're still out there in null too.

Believe it or not I am rooting for you.
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#159 - 2012-03-15 21:57:14 UTC
goons are the only ones who will bother addressing people on eve-o gd hth
Skex Relbore
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#160 - 2012-03-15 21:59:58 UTC
DarthNefarius wrote:
NERFing of anything seems to be a bad thing IMHO is a tool of last resorts. I think this sort of complaint from those getting nerfed is justified:

"Well now that DEVs NERF BAT has gone and taken raiden's only defense GOONs should be able to steam roll them. CCP knows the titans were working just fine for when you were outnumbered. Now Raiden will loose all their space unless by some miracle goons stop fielding 800 man fleets. Well time to see how long before half of eve is blue once again. This is similar to the DRF but a little bit worse "

Those that trained for years to get a titan are putting them up for sale in droves. I suspect that ALOT of titan accounts will just unsub; they also may just quit because all the trainning they put into such ships are wasted & they won't get reimbursed for the time but I suspect they are so addicted to the game you are going to hear some incredible howls by bittervets.

Nerfing is actually the best way to deal with power imbalances and frankly should be the tool of first resort.

Because the alternative is mudflation because if you balance through buffs you just end up having to buff everything else then if you screw up and overpower one thing you have to start everything all over again.

Just look at what happened when they buffed projectiles instead of nerfing scorch, all they did was make turn flip the M in Minmatar upside down and made Gallente/Caldari suck even more.

With a Nerf is you go to far you only have to adjust one thing not every other item in the game.