These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE is 10 (TEN) years old....

Author
Leto Aramaus
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#101 - 2012-03-23 19:07:12 UTC
Lol 5 pages of that mixed with people discussing how to improve EVE based on my original suggestions.

Go whine somewhere else that you have no good ideas Whippy.

Thanks for another bump, and this one too!
Reiisha
#102 - 2012-03-24 02:45:01 UTC
Work on EVE began in 1999 or so i believe... If not even earlier.

That said, changing EVE completely means it wouldn't be EVE anymore. See Star Wars Galaxies and the fabled NGE, see how that worked out :)

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Leto Aramaus
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#103 - 2012-03-24 16:39:59 UTC
Reiisha wrote:

That said, changing EVE completely means it wouldn't be EVE anymore. See Star Wars Galaxies and the fabled NGE, see how that worked out :)

NO! you guys that attitude is just plain sad... changing EVE is what it needs.

You just admitted it, work began in 1999 or earlier, the game mechanics are so old and you guys want it to stay that way?

You make me sick people, you make me SICK.

Reiisha
#104 - 2012-03-24 17:02:58 UTC
Leto Aramaus wrote:
Reiisha wrote:

NO! you guys that attitude is just plain sad... changing EVE is what it needs.

You just admitted it, work began in 1999 or earlier, the game mechanics are so old and you guys want it to stay that way?

You make me sick people, you make me SICK.

Game mechanics have to evolve - not change. A very subtle difference that a lot of people don't understand.

Leto Aramaus
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#105 - 2012-03-24 18:36:57 UTC
Except when they suck....

then they need to change.

i.e. EVE
Reiisha
#106 - 2012-03-25 15:27:52 UTC
Leto Aramaus wrote:
Except when they suck....

then they need to change.

i.e. EVE

Then you may simply not be playing a game you like. Rather than trying to change this one, why not try finding one you DO like? :)

Leto Aramaus
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#107 - 2012-05-18 15:30:04 UTC
Reiisha wrote:

Then you may simply not be playing a game you like. Rather than trying to change this one, why not try finding one you DO like? :)

Yea... this seems to be the consensus among the entire EVE playerbase.

Let me ask you this... 10 years from NOW, do you still want EVE to have these same game mechanics and engine? In 2022 are you guys going to be okay with the grid based, "warp to>jump>warp to>jump" bullsh*t we have now?

You all seem perfectly happy with, and even happy with flaming any attempts to change, the current gameplay of EVE.

9 out of 10 posts on this thread are flames telling me to "go play another game" and "stop trying to change this one"... and that's possibly the worst attitude ever if you want an MMO to survive and continue being good.

EVE was decent when it came out, still the best space MMO (obviously), but could be SO much better. Yet none of you want it to be?

When its 20... 30... years old, do you still want this same game engine from 1999? Really? It pains me that its not ALREADY updated after TEN years, yet you people all flame me for suggesting a major change.

I'll say it again, I love EVE, not for its gameplay, but for its concept. It's not good, but I WANT it to be. I want to support it and play it and see it get amazing over the years, but with players like these, and a company like CCP, it's going to be a long time coming.
Commander Karin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#108 - 2012-05-18 19:05:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Karin
I agree. Eve should get better.

Planets are the same, battles are just orbiting around, nothing really cool to discover, wh are just another solar system, scan sytstem sucks very much, ships fly at a airplane speed and sometimes I have the feeling they are under water.

And the HUD is ugly as hell, that circle things must change. I just hope the next update bring things like what we have in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME2815NN-Xc

EVE looks like a WindowMaker interface. And that is so 90' s

regards
Zakuak
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#109 - 2012-05-18 20:33:44 UTC
I'd love to see an improved gfx engine, I hear they are working on DX11 support.

The game is evolving all the time....it's changed since 2003, 2006...2009. Yes alot more can be done and lets hope alot is getting done. The incremental changes I think take the profound "omg its so different" factor out of the equation, resulting in a more subtle "meh" response to the changes.

Yes I want more in Eve, for Eve and from Eve heh, lets hope these Devs keep up the evolution.

I think, personaly, its biggest draw back currently for me is it's just not fancy enough in the gfx department.

Keep blowing the horn and pounding on the drum...keeping the pressure on them with our expectations is our best weapon eh?
Commander Karin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#110 - 2012-05-18 21:21:43 UTC
without mention other things that could exist like visual damage to the ships (like destruction stages and things breaking).
It's weird to see a hound being hit by missiles and nothing breaking in that fragile structure Roll
xCabalx
The Wallstreet Bulls Corporation
#111 - 2012-05-18 22:58:59 UTC
They should get rid of others playing with 2 up to razy 122 chars, spamming EVE with empty bodys and manipulating the number on how many are online right now. That is the biggest issue that destroyed the joy a bit after I've found out. The same with corps, you actually think its crowed in there just to get to know... that more than 50% are just additional chars. Disgusting!