These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Interactive Mining Concept

Author
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2012-03-13 07:40:14 UTC
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Ok, you get in your hulk, you run off to a belt, maybe even something special you had to scan down.

Once their, you target a roid, fire your devastating laser to mine... and go eat lunch while it works.
Every couple of minutes, dump another load into a jetcan, and have someone in a hauler pick it up like garbage day happens every 20 minutes.

Well, that's a sparkling burst of excitement. I think I can come up with a way to improve it.

Exhumer sided compacting, by doing a minigame. The faster you can play, the faster you can mine and compact, you set the speed.
It would look like tetris, or one of it's countless clones. Get rows together with no empty space in them, and they get auto pushed into your storage hold.
You set the speed, if it maxes out over the top however, your laser shuts down till you can make more room for incoming ore.

Exhumer sided special ore: For every skill you have in an ore type, you can identify the ore as it comes up your laser. Shuffle and match ore clusters together, and your systems will confirm the material as present. Material gets then transported by matched clumps as pre-refined ore concentrate of the types you have skill to identify.
(Probably resembles bejeweled, or any of the countless clones of that type)
(Got several ore skills? then you can get several types. In real life, asteroids aren't just single types of ore, but are often blends packed together)
This would let the miner use far less space in the cargo hold, as the pre-refined ore would be bigger than end refined, but far smaller than raw, allowing it to be stored with greater efficiency.

Now, this would have a side effect, mining would become more immersive, causing players to not notice things creeping up on them perhaps. It would also make mining a bit more fun.

first issue i canf ind iwth this...

if im stuck running a mini-game, then how the hell am i supposed to notice or interact with the greater-game when some random nobody in a 'nado warps in the belt with an intent to voilence my barge?

im sensing a stealth make-hulks-easier-to-gank proposal.

No. What the OP wants is something OPTIONAL to do while we are mining so that it is less boring, and that it would come with some benefits.

Also, logic would dictate that it would pop up as a window and not a fullscreen UI element.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#22 - 2012-03-13 15:51:38 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
first issue i canf ind iwth this...

if im stuck running a mini-game, then how the hell am i supposed to notice or interact with the greater-game when some random nobody in a 'nado warps in the belt with an intent to voilence my barge?

im sensing a stealth make-hulks-easier-to-gank proposal.

No. What the OP wants is something OPTIONAL to do while we are mining so that it is less boring, and that it would come with some benefits.

Also, logic would dictate that it would pop up as a window and not a fullscreen UI element.

Quite right. And this would not be some glitzy mini game, but a gritty ore sorting exorcise designed to trade extended effort into greater reward.

There is no need to make mining less rewarding or more dangerous, those aspects are present already as has been noted.
taintedms
ArB Llc.
Imaginary Rats
#23 - 2012-03-13 16:03:30 UTC
I say go for it! Anything that makes you guys even more distracted so i can kill you is fine with me.

On a side note - i would like to be exempt from this update.
Previous page12