These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Jesters curves..

Author
Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#61 - 2011-09-12 21:14:22 UTC
Xander Riggs wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:
Xander Riggs wrote:

Dust 514 will have a system exactly like we have in Eve. Everything you can pay cash for can be bought by simply earning the isk in game. CCP even admits that some Dust players will be spending most of their time playing the market, just we do now in Eve. Dust starts you with free isk and you earn more by playing. It is no different than Eve...except that you start with money already.
Knee jerk reactions have a habit of making you look silly.

I think you are making a lot of assumptions there, but fair enough, so am I. Ultimately we won't know how they intend to run Dust until it roles out but as I said, judging from the NeX experience I don't have a good feeling about the business model.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/20/heres-how-dust-514s-microtransactions-work-on-your-ps3/

I just paraphrased the article. No assumptions.

Yeah I read that one too. One might argue that Nex clothing is the same seeing as how people buy it for plex convertions and put it on the market but that is something I loathe in Eve Online as short-circuiting player industry and cheapening the whole universe simulation. Allowing people to pay to win gold tanks in Dust and defending that by saying "they can sell them on the market and other people can buy them" yeah okay, technically I suppose, but its a pretty souless industry simulation that way.

Let me repeat, its the CCP handling of Nex/Incarna that more than anything else has made me extremely distrustful of Dust and all it will likely bring to the core game.

The True Knowledge is that nothing matters that does not matter to you, might does make right and power makes freedom

eatsbabies cienfuegos
Infinite Murder
SONS of BANE
#62 - 2011-09-12 21:17:44 UTC
i just discovered eve (i've been at it for two months, and i'm about to get my covert ops cloak woo-hoo)

i've been playing online-only titles since 2005, and every community that ever existed is full of "death is imminent" jagoffs.

considering that the 7 people that i know who've started playing in the last 2.5 months have spent (collectively) around 2000 dollars, i'd say that EVE is going to be fine. as long as EVE sticks by it's guns, and doesn't make DUST 514 appealing to the bubble-gummers CCP doesn't have anything to worry about.

well done, iceland.
Xander Riggs
Slamtown Federation
#63 - 2011-09-12 21:22:23 UTC
Jade Constantine wrote:
Xander Riggs wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:
Xander Riggs wrote:

Dust 514 will have a system exactly like we have in Eve. Everything you can pay cash for can be bought by simply earning the isk in game. CCP even admits that some Dust players will be spending most of their time playing the market, just we do now in Eve. Dust starts you with free isk and you earn more by playing. It is no different than Eve...except that you start with money already.
Knee jerk reactions have a habit of making you look silly.

I think you are making a lot of assumptions there, but fair enough, so am I. Ultimately we won't know how they intend to run Dust until it roles out but as I said, judging from the NeX experience I don't have a good feeling about the business model.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/20/heres-how-dust-514s-microtransactions-work-on-your-ps3/

I just paraphrased the article. No assumptions.

Yeah I read that one too. One might argue that Nex clothing is the same seeing as how people buy it for plex convertions and put it on the market but that is something I loathe in Eve Online as short-circuiting player industry and cheapening the whole universe simulation. Allowing people to pay to win gold tanks in Dust and defending that by saying "they can sell them on the market and other people can buy them" yeah okay, technically I suppose, but its a pretty souless industry simulation that way.

Let me repeat, its the CCP handling of Nex/Incarna that more than anything else has made me extremely distrustful of Dust and all it will likely bring to the core game.

Considering that it's linked to Eve, it's very likely we'll be able to build those same tanks to ship to our ground troops. We'll also be paying those same ground troops. If we want them to have gold tanks, we buy them. Problem solved. It sounds like the dust system will have faction warfare and pirates for the new guys to cut their teeth on before they move up to the big leagues of 0.0 planetslogging.

Remember, too, that those players will still have to earn the ability to use the equipment they purchased. They can't hop online day one, shell out a hundred dollars, and be driving around in a plasma destroyer.

"A man with a drone-boat has nothing but time on his hands."

eatsbabies cienfuegos
Infinite Murder
SONS of BANE
#64 - 2011-09-12 21:22:36 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Welp, the numbers are down by ONE at least this afternoon (5 PM Pacific) when this NOW CANCELLED 19 month 28 Mill SkillPoint toon is offlined.

I will take a peek to see if The Door is still there with the Winter Expansion. My other 2 accounts expire on 9/25.

It would just be really really nice if I could undock my Tengu with it's modules actually on (YES after the 'Fix').

Really sloppy crap and it's time for me to go.

can i have your 28 mil skillpoints, then?
Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#65 - 2011-09-12 21:36:44 UTC
Xander Riggs wrote:

Considering that it's linked to Eve, it's very likely we'll be able to build those same tanks to ship to our ground troops.

Is that in the way we were given the ability to build NeX clothing?

Quote:
Remember, too, that those players will still have to earn the ability to use the equipment they purchased. They can't hop online day one, shell out a hundred dollars, and be driving around in a plasma destroyer.

Perhaps. Or perhaps one simply folds out the credit card and buys a gold tank. Who knows really? I find the information available at present lacking in any detail and specifics.

The True Knowledge is that nothing matters that does not matter to you, might does make right and power makes freedom

Xander Riggs
Slamtown Federation
#66 - 2011-09-12 21:40:46 UTC
Jade Constantine wrote:
Xander Riggs wrote:

Considering that it's linked to Eve, it's very likely we'll be able to build those same tanks to ship to our ground troops.

We deal with macrotransaction and huge items. Why on earth would a capsuleer be sewing? We can build titans. That would be akin to manufacturing single bullets.

If we were to 'build' clothes, it would be by the shipment, and a thousand shirts is just a useless market endeavor because we don't actually wear clothes out, and it would just supersaturate the market.

Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#67 - 2011-09-12 21:44:05 UTC
Xander Riggs wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:
Xander Riggs wrote:

We deal with macrotransaction and huge items. Why on earth would a capsuleer be sewing? We can build titans. That would be akin to manufacturing single bullets.

Bullets that cost the same as Dreadnaughts yes. Come on this is a silly argument. With items of clothing costing much more than battleships and often more than capital ships its inconceivable that capsuleer industrialists would not be interested in these markets.

Quote:
If we were to 'build' clothes, it would be by the shipment, and a thousand shirts is just a useless market endeavor because we don't actually wear clothes out, and it would just supersaturate the market.

So what is special about the NeX clothes in your understanding of the IC universe?

Xander Riggs
Slamtown Federation
#68 - 2011-09-12 21:50:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Xander Riggs
Jade Constantine wrote:
Xander Riggs wrote:
Jade Constantine wrote:
Xander Riggs wrote:

Bullets that cost the same as Dreadnaughts yes. Come on this is a silly argument. With items of clothing costing much more than battleships and often more than capital ships its inconceivable that capsuleer industrialists would not be interested in these markets.

Quote:

So what is special about the NeX clothes in your understanding of the IC universe?

The same thing that makes designer clothing cost idiotic amounts in the real world. Capsuleers deal in fortunes. Stupid capsuleers waste them on designer shirts because they want to be special.

Of course, if every capsuleer was making them, they suddenly would be worth nothing, and they may as well be put right back in the character creator as default items. Such is the fate of cosmetics.

We're not talking about cosmetics with Dust, however, and the game's involvement with Eve (and it;s key selling point) will hinge entirely on what Eve players can provide Dust players and vice versa.

Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#69 - 2011-09-12 22:13:02 UTC
Xander Riggs wrote:

The same thing that makes designer clothing cost idiotic amounts in the real world. Capsuleers deal in fortunes. Stupid capsuleers waste them on designer shirts because they want to be special.
Of course, if every capsuleer was making them, they suddenly would be worth nothing, and they may as well be put right back in the character creator as default items. Such is the fate of cosmetics.

Surely you can control the minimum price in the same way you control the minimum price on a t2 rig bpo or such - expensive commodities and inputs. I don't see this as any argument why NeX goods shouldn't simply be delivered to the game in the traditional manner as bpos to allow player industry.

Quote:
We're not talking about cosmetics with Dust, however, and the game's involvement with Eve (and it;s key selling point) will hinge entirely on what Eve players can provide Dust players and vice versa.

Sure but having rolled out the NeX shop items as content for Incarna why do we expect different for Dust 514? I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe that CCP can currently be trusted where MTs are concerned.

Pharos Pharos
Nephilim Industries
#70 - 2011-09-12 22:33:42 UTC
Xander Riggs wrote:

Considering that it's linked to Eve, it's very likely we'll be able to build those same tanks to ship to our ground troops. We'll also be paying those same ground troops. If we want them to have gold tanks, we buy them. Problem solved. It sounds like the dust system will have faction warfare and pirates for the new guys to cut their teeth on before they move up to the big leagues of 0.0 planetslogging.

I pray with all my heart that you're right. But given CCP's record it's more likely that the actual link between Dust and EVE will end up being something completely meaningless like 'if you pay dust players to attack your enemies PI and they don't hire any to defend they get 3% less resources'. The odds of us being able to supply the mercs are slim, the odds of us having to defend their 'warbarges' in orbit are tiny, and the odds that Dusties can shoot our dreadnoughts while we bombard them from orbit like in the trailer video are so minuscule as to be impossible to conceive.

It's not that I don't like CCP, I still do despite myself. But they've shown an incredible talent for over-promising and under-delivering, so as much as I'm holding my breath and hoping they come through with Dust I really don't see it happening.

Edit: Oh, and thread thoroughly derailed.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#71 - 2011-09-12 23:31:44 UTC
Tippia wrote:
if people can't keep all those accounts logged in at the same time (and we… sorry for this after my previous tirade… assume that they got them to have all of them logged in at once) won't they simply close those useless extra accounts down and/or transfer the characters to how many accounts they can run at once with the new requirements?

First, assume that player X has three accounts to do mining. Player X used to run three accounts on separate computers. Today, Player X logs in two accounts on separate computers. The third computer has a crappy video card (or at least, it does now that CQ fried it).

Player X is expecting to upgrade the third computer at some point in the near future, and the character on that account is training useful skills. For example, it might be full of datacore farmers, trade alts, price checkers, whatever. There is some advantage to having that account still active even though it cannot be run contemporaneously. And there's the computer upgrade coming Real Soon Now (it's in the household budget, but not until March next year).

Player Y has three accounts. Player Y is a spy. Player Y used to run three accounts on separate computers. Today, Player Y can only use 1 computer because one died (CQ again) and the other is just plain old underpowered. Player Y keeps those accounts active because they still provide value, even if the value is diminished by the information gained not being real-time. Player Y needs the accounts separate since a simple API check will expose the alternate characters all belonging to various executor corps.

So there are at least two instances where a person would have multiple accounts subscribed, but only be playing a small number of them.

The increased GPU load and the dropping of SM2.0 will have affected a (statistically) significant portion of the population. Of course, I'm not disputing that many people will have stopped playing and unsubscribed simply because they felt that strongly about NeX and CQ, even though their computers are more than capable of running EVE Online.