These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Exploration Respawn Mechanic

Author
Ponder Yonder
Z3R0 Return Mining Inc.
Illusion of Solitude
#1 - 2011-09-08 12:28:00 UTC
Does anyone know where and when exploration sites respawn?

E.g. Once a site is completed and despawns:

1. Does it respawn immediately / after some interval / after DT?
2. Where does it respawn? Same System / Constellation / Region?
3. Does sec status play a role? E.g Can a site that despawns in Hi-Sec respawn in Lo-Sec?

My own experiments are inconclusive. On quiet days I can clear all Radar sites in a constellation and then keep flying the same loop, visiting all systems in the constellation, without finding another radar until I give up. These constellations typically are completely hi-sec. This leads me to believe that that either the respawn is not immediate, or not in the same constellation.

Other posters here, Emperor Salazar iirc, have noted that they do find the same site over and over by looking at the ID. So it seems to me that there is some empirical evidence, but the details elude me.

Any help appreciated.


-- Fly Reckless --
Mart Allini
Lead Farmers
#2 - 2011-09-08 12:42:12 UTC
If you find the same site by looking at the ID, that's a site that hasn't been cleared and despawned yet.
As far as I know, there's not a 100% certain understanding of site spawn mechanics. However, the generally held belief is that a site will respawn somewhere else where that type of site is allowed to spawn immediately(ie. any system with the right NPC presence and the right security status) There are definitely sites that can spawn both in lowsec and highsec, btw
Emperor Salazar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2011-09-08 13:00:02 UTC
Ponder Yonder wrote:
Does anyone know where and when exploration sites respawn?

E.g. Once a site is completed and despawns:

1. Does it respawn immediately / after some interval / after DT?
2. Where does it respawn? Same System / Constellation / Region?
3. Does sec status play a role? E.g Can a site that despawns in Hi-Sec respawn in Lo-Sec?

My own experiments are inconclusive. On quiet days I can clear all Radar sites in a constellation and then keep flying the same loop, visiting all systems in the constellation, without finding another radar until I give up. These constellations typically are completely hi-sec. This leads me to believe that that either the respawn is not immediate, or not in the same constellation.

Other posters here, Emperor Salazar iirc, have noted that they do find the same site over and over by looking at the ID. So it seems to me that there is some empirical evidence, but the details elude me.

Any help appreciated.


-- Fly Reckless --



Some of this is knowledge while some is simply theory. I'll try to make it as clear as possible.

1. Fact: sites respawn immediately.

2. Where they respawn, is up in the air. Sites like hacking ladars respawn in the same region for sure. This is because hacking ladars are tied to specific regions. H-PA Blue Pill Distribution is tied to the Forge. Simple as that.

Combat sites (and likely radars/mags) are theorized to follow this doctrine as well. I myself believed this until recently.

I have been hunting the new Gurista DED 5/10 of late, a site with signal strength of about .11% with my current fit/skills/implants. I have primarily been searching Lonetrek and The Forge. Forge low sec is extremely easy to cover fast using the DSP method. While I cannot confirm this 100% of course, my findings no longer support the "spawn by region" theory. There have been times when I have found 1 DED 5/10, then scoured the rest of Forge low sec and found none. Other times I have found up to 3 of them (they may have been respawns of previous ones). While my luck may just be bad and I may be "just" missing them as someone else has completed them, I think a safer theory is that sites are simply not tied by region, but by faction and security.

3. System security does play a role. DED 4/10 and DED 6/10 are the only combat sites that spawn in multiple securities, the former being high/low, the latter being low/null. DED 1, 2, 3 all only occur in high sec (the first 2 being static - fix this CCP). As for unrated plexes, Hideout, Lookout, Watch and Vigil all spawn in high sec; Provisional Outpost, Outpost, Minor Annex and Annex all spawn in low sec.

Specific security seemingly plays no role in site spawning. What I mean by this is .5 security systems do not have a better chance than a .9 security system simply because it is lower. I used to hit noob systems simply because the locals there aren't experienced enough to find and/or complete the sites that may spawn and thus they often stockpile there.

My final note: the reasons I hunt specific signature sizes. The first is to ignore K162s. In high sec they are abundant, and ignoring K162 signature size means ignoring Lookouts and 3/10s, not a big loss in my opinion. In low sec K162s are not as bad so this signature size is a bit safer to probe without getting constant wormholes.

The second reason I hunt signature sizes is that some sites are simply better than others. Going after the DED 5/10 signature size means Minor Annex as well (and Drone 5/10 but I skip that). DED 5/10 and Minor Annex are both great sites and easy to do in little time.

The final reason I hunt signature sizes is because it allows you to cover a lot of ground fast. I can keep a record of which IDs are not what I want (radars/mags/gravs/ladars) and come back later to see if a DED 5/10 or Minor annex has respawned there. Efficiency is everything, and this method is extremely efficient.

Hope this answers your questions and more.
Ponder Yonder
Z3R0 Return Mining Inc.
Illusion of Solitude
#4 - 2011-09-08 13:07:18 UTC
Thanks for the reply.

If I understand correctly then: If an Angel Radar site despawns, it will respawn immediately as another Anger Radar site, presumably exactly the same type. Since it is an Angel site, it will only respawn in those regions where Angels are found. This means that there are a fixed number of sites of each type and faction.

If this is correct, it would explain why hi-sec exploration is next to worthless over weekends: All the part-timers come out to scan, almost all in hi-sec. Pretty soon, hi-sec is cleared of spawns and respawns. This leaves Lo-sec full of respawns, which will either despawn of time (3 days?) or be cleared, thereby slowly repopulating hi-sec just in time for the next weekend.

It would also explain why my hi-sec results seem to be better on Wednessdays and Thursdays than on Sundays and Mondays.
St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2011-09-08 13:16:18 UTC
If a highsec Angel Radar site despawns, i.e. Local Angel Mainframe, it will (I assume) respawn another Local Angel Mainframe in the same region (or at least another Angel region), in a highsec system, since high-sec Radars have the prefix Local and low-sec has the prefix Regional.

IMHO the deal with weekends is that the sites have a higher churn rate: they get run and respawned and thus moving around more often, and also they pool up in harder to reach systems.
Emperor Salazar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2011-09-08 13:18:52 UTC
Ponder Yonder wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

If I understand correctly then: If an Angel Radar site despawns, it will respawn immediately as another Anger Radar site, presumably exactly the same type. Since it is an Angel site, it will only respawn in those regions where Angels are found. This means that there are a fixed number of sites of each type and faction.


This is correct. Though, not presumably the same type. It will be the same type. No question there. If this weren't the case, we'd end up with a bunch of gravs all over the place.

Quote:
If this is correct, it would explain why hi-sec exploration is next to worthless over weekends: All the part-timers come out to scan, almost all in hi-sec. Pretty soon, hi-sec is cleared of spawns and respawns. This leaves Lo-sec full of respawns, which will either despawn of time (3 days?) or be cleared, thereby slowly repopulating hi-sec just in time for the next weekend.

It would also explain why my hi-sec results seem to be better on Wednessdays and Thursdays than on Sundays and Mondays.


You're stretching this a bit. I don't personally know all the radars/mags but I do know that there are high sec specific ones and low sec specific ones. Based on St. Mio's exploration guide site, high sec is populated by "Local [Insert Suffix] " radars whereas low sec is populated by "Regional [Insert Suffix]" radars.

You are right though that exploration on the weekends is harder. In high sec its because there is more competition. In low sec, the EU/US prime times are simply extremely dangerous. Again though, this is why Deep Space Probes are excellent. They give you that extra edge to be more particular in your searches.
Ponder Yonder
Z3R0 Return Mining Inc.
Illusion of Solitude
#7 - 2011-09-08 13:37:19 UTC
Thanks for the replies.

Correct me if I am wrong then:

1. Exploration sites can't be farmed the same way that anomalies can be farmed. This is a good thing, IMO.
2. Reward is tied to efficiency, more than effort
3. All else being equal, scanning in areas WHERE others are not scanning is likely to be more rewarding.
4. All else being equal, scanning in areas WHEN others are not scanning is likely to be more rewarding.



-- Fly Reckless --
Mart Allini
Lead Farmers
#8 - 2011-09-08 13:54:15 UTC
All correct except anomaly farming(ie. sitting in one system running the same anom over and over) can only happen in SOV 0.0 with the appropriate SOV upgrades. Other than that, anomalies follow the same spawn mechanics as signatures.
Emperor Salazar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-09-08 14:03:29 UTC
Ponder Yonder wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Correct me if I am wrong then:

1. Exploration sites can't be farmed the same way that anomalies can be farmed. This is a good thing, IMO.
2. Reward is tied to efficiency, more than effort
3. All else being equal, scanning in areas WHERE others are not scanning is likely to be more rewarding.
4. All else being equal, scanning in areas WHEN others are not scanning is likely to be more rewarding.



-- Fly Reckless --


1. Yes
2. I guess so. Work smart, not hard.
3. I guess. But, I used to scan in Lonetrek high sec (Caldari space - considered heavily populated) and I got tons of sites. DSPs at work and lots of respawns because people doing sites = sites respawning more rather than sitting dormant somewhere.
4. Same as 3.