These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

CGI group learning project

Author
Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#21 - 2012-02-26 15:01:40 UTC
Grey Azorria wrote:
Professor Alphane wrote:
RE: Model and Bitmap Export from EVE - Didn't know that was even possible, perhaps someone with some knowledge of the process would be good enough to explain the ABC's of it fo me, cheers.

You use a porgram called Triexporter to extract them, someone else has already made a nice Tutorial to go with it.

CTRL+D'd thanks, will look into it.

Could vastly improve the quality of images we are able to produce fairly quickly.

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Benilopax
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-02-26 16:18:02 UTC
Perhaps I could host you for a few seminars on my TS3 server if that would be useful? Keen to learn this new skill.

Omu Matol
Repo.
#23 - 2012-02-26 16:46:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Omu Matol
I like taking the ships and rendering them so they look like lil toy ships Big smile

This was a screenshot taken from marmoset toolbag, which is a realtime model viewer/renderer.

Tiny Oracle

As a professional cg artist, I'd be willing to lend a hand if someone needed specific help. I use photoshop, 3dsmax, and vray on a daily basis for my job.
Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#24 - 2012-02-26 18:11:39 UTC
I love TS personally so thanks for that offer.

Also nice to have you both on board.

Perhaps the first idea might be that some of the more experinced amongst us who are willing to tap out a lttile tutorial or 2 (we can work on refining them later if neccasery) it might be an idea to discuss what topics we would like to cover.

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Brent Newton
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2012-02-26 20:43:26 UTC
Omu, that picture is amazing. I only tried to render one model like that and the photo was bad, so I had to make the model look bad to compensate. I still haven't found what the pgs are for, but I am beginning to think they are going to be maps for ship customization. Like how the "p" maps where there for a long time but blank. I think ccp is big on putting markers in place for later planed expansion. That's all I can think they could be for. The are solid which means they are either for enviromental effects or something like that.

http://fav.me/d95rl8j

Roc Wieler
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2012-02-26 21:36:41 UTC
I'm in.

Happy to share what I've learned so far as Eve, TriExporter and Cinema 4D. Also looking forward to learning as well.

Never start a fight you can win.

Omu Matol
Repo.
#27 - 2012-02-26 23:56:05 UTC
Brent Newton wrote:
Omu, that picture is amazing. I only tried to render one model like that and the photo was bad, so I had to make the model look bad to compensate. I still haven't found what the pgs are for, but I am beginning to think they are going to be maps for ship customization. Like how the "p" maps where there for a long time but blank. I think ccp is big on putting markers in place for later planed expansion. That's all I can think they could be for. The are solid which means they are either for enviromental effects or something like that.

Thanks very much. The PGS file has several necessary textures in is. It has a mask, the specular map, and the two channels necessary for reconstructing the normal map. I'll try and put together a video tutorial when I can. I might be a little too busy this next week though.

Here's a tengu I did this afternoon. Having to do all the necessary steps 5 times over is a bit of a pain in the arse, but if you can do it for one piece/ship, then you'll know how to do them all. It's just a simple studio type lighting setup, everyone has seen a hundred times.

Tengu
Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#28 - 2012-02-27 03:24:28 UTC
Anyone amongst us have any teaching experience , even in subjects non related?

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#29 - 2012-02-27 03:27:51 UTC
Is there any tutorials I can look up real quick mostly tool familiarization and how to build something simple like a wooden block train maybe?

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#30 - 2012-02-27 03:34:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Professor Alphane
http://freedownloads.daz3d.com/HexagonDocs.zip

Download link to the Hexagon Docs for you fella

/edit only skimmed through the manual last night think theres more in the zip though

Wild Rho
The Gentleman's Club
#31 - 2012-02-27 08:57:19 UTC
Brent Newton wrote:
I still haven't found what the pgs are for, but I am beginning to think they are going to be maps for ship customization. Like how the "p" maps where there for a long time but blank. I think ccp is big on putting markers in place for later planed expansion. That's all I can think they could be for. The are solid which means they are either for environmental effects or something like that.

The P channel is the mask map. It allows different parts of the diffuse map to be re-coloured and is in use at the minute (for a good example look at the colouring on the Prophecy vs the Absolution. They use the exact same textures but the diffuse and mask map values are modified to alter their colours.
It also seems to be used to mark area's with different reflectivity etc.

The new texture system also makes more use of the submasks as well but I haven't been able to find a way to combine it in my materials without is making a mess of the colours.

Here is a useful image that explains what's in each of the texture channels for the new and old system: http://cdn1.eveonline.com/community/devblog/2010/TexturePack_large.jpg
Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#32 - 2012-02-28 15:43:46 UTC
Hey guys

Sorry was a little busy yesterday IRL so didn't get round to decorating.

Probably no point in holding of openeing the forums really IMO at the moment, OK it don't look nice, but it works

So if anyone would care to join our new 'workroom'-

1. Please Register under the name you use ingame, if you don't mind

2. Registration is Admin verified and if you haven't posted in one of the threads RE this or contacted me by PM your app will remain 'pending', so if you haven't spoken up yet but you wnat to register please get in touch so I can verify your identity cheers.

A.R.C. Forums

Brent Newton
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2012-02-28 16:42:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Brent Newton
Yeah I see now that the pgs texture is where ccp has put the mirror, transparency, specular info. What we really need is a person able to write a script that will use the info from each color channel. Know what I'm saying? Sure we can pull them all apart in Ps, but it would be a much more elegant solution to simply load the 3 uv layers ccp provides and allow a script to decide mirror, transparency, specular by the values in the various RBGA channels in the pgs map.

Maybe there is a way to do this without a script in blender that I am unaware of. Anyone know of how to do what I'm talking about; in any program? I've often thought that using separate maps was a bit blunt. Why not use a single image with all the info for the model (diffuse, normal, transparency, mirror, emit, etc.)? I know that the images we are used to using only have 4 channels at most, but what about multichannel images? I am not sure what I am talking about is possible or not. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

But yes, I did see immediately what the pgs images were when I opened one. I swear though I have opened one before and they were just solid colors. Strange. Didn't ccp used to store all the info in the pgs in the diffuse map?

Anyway, I'm working on a composite video of a tristan flying beside a 747 as seen from one of the passenger windows.

***Oh I just saw the post of that cool pic that shows what all the channels are in each of the maps. Very cool! Is it accurate? I no longer see anything but a normal diffuse map in the diffuse texture for example.

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#34 - 2012-02-28 16:47:07 UTC
Brent Newton wrote:

Maybe there is a way to do this without a script in blender that I am unaware of. Anyone know of how to do what I'm talking about; in any program? .

If we can't find a tool for what your describing somewhere on the intraweebs , I can Python a little and have friends who can script a lot better than me, if worse comes to worse we can probably reformat the file in someway though it may take a litle time learning to manipulae image files.

Brent Newton
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2012-02-28 16:52:09 UTC
Well there is always the "actions" panel in Ps. It records a set of actions you take and makes them into a macro of sorts. I've never spent any time on learning it. Hell, I haven't quite perfected the best way off cutting color channels out of an image to be honest. It feels like I do it differently every time; always with the same results ofc.

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#36 - 2012-02-28 16:56:00 UTC
TBH current bitmapping techniques and how exactly procedural work are on my list of things to get up to speed on.

I'ts been a good few years since I did any CGI

Omu Matol
Repo.
#37 - 2012-02-28 17:43:21 UTC
hmm, I kinda think scripting or using actions to extract the different channels from the pgs bitmap is a bit much. And I'm someone who loves actions/scripts. It's really not that much work to copy one of the channels into a new document and then save it out.
Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#38 - 2012-02-28 17:46:06 UTC
As I say I haven't looked into it.

Perhaps that can be the subject of a discusion thread on the new forums.

Try and get everyone up to speed (including me) how we can best use the resources available.

Brent Newton
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2012-02-28 20:59:47 UTC
Maybe it is overkill. I haven't done it enough to know. So far the easiest way I've found is to duplicate a channel to a new doc and then copy its channel a couple times so that I can save it as an RGB image. Is this the method everyone uses? Omu made it sound as if maybe there was an easier way than this. I just get the feeling I'm doing it wrong or maybe I just don't understand how the channel options work yet.

Omu Matol
Repo.
#40 - 2012-02-29 03:42:34 UTC
Brent Newton wrote:
Maybe it is overkill. I haven't done it enough to know. So far the easiest way I've found is to duplicate a channel to a new doc and then copy its channel a couple times so that I can save it as an RGB image. Is this the method everyone uses? Omu made it sound as if maybe there was an easier way than this. I just get the feeling I'm doing it wrong or maybe I just don't understand how the channel options work yet.

No thats pretty much what I do. I just select+all the channel, then ctrl+c ctrl+v into a new document or whatever. then save it out. The thing with setting up a set of actions, is that not every ship is totally setup the same way with regards to all the different maps and their individual channels. I think it depends on how new the ship type is.
Previous page123Next page