These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Looking for a sci fi book

First post
Author
Azriel Geist
Pure Victory
#21 - 2012-02-20 08:34:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Azriel Geist
I just got finished reading House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds. It's even further into the future than Eve and it's pretty amazing. I didn't think such a far flung story could work out, but man I'm glad I was wrong and that I read the book.

Truly a great story Smile
Nirnias Stirrum
UberWTFBBQ and Battle Technologies
#22 - 2012-02-20 08:42:51 UTC
Any of the Warhammer 40k Novels. Personally i would reccommend:

Horus Heresy, series
Gaunts Ghosts, series
Eisenhorn, Omnibus
Ravenour, Omnibus
Space Wolves, Omnibus

There are alot more, hundreds of WH 40k novels. The best Author imo is Dan Abnet.

If your looking for a more closer to home (earth) modern day feel but still sci fi ish. Id reccommend :

Daemon,
Freedom,
by Daniel Suarez

These 2 books were gems, i couldnt put them down.
Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#23 - 2012-02-20 09:14:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Ciar Meara
Jenna Nicole wrote:
Hey folks, in celebration of buying a kindle fire I'm looking for a good book.
I have read the eve novels and I'm looking for something similar to the EVE universe as in space stations, cloning, starships ect
Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

The Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, they have all the tech from the eve universe the server is even named after the main space station in the books.

Very good books, very good sci fi, sentient ships, implants, drones, some "horror" and a come back to life all capone!

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

coolzero
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-02-20 09:27:10 UTC
the mars trilogy from Kim Stanley Robinson

Liu Ellens
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-02-20 09:49:27 UTC
Another recommendation from me for Peter F. Hamilton and his books.

I still remember reading the very first pages of the Night's Dawn Trilogy back in the shop, which hooked me up to his books.

But, before touching The Void Trilogy, read the Commonwealth Saga first as the Void Trilogy is set in the same universe, only (many) years later.

sycore101 wrote:

What i haven't read of his is the "A second Chance at eden" set in the night dawns trilogy .. might pick it up.

Also recommendable if you know the universe; The main part is a good detective story.

Well, they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there for shure.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#26 - 2012-02-20 10:39:01 UTC
The Ship who Sang series (aka Brainship series) by Anne Macaffrey would surely fit right into the genre of "people in pods controlling spaceships and having adventures" :)

Awesome series of books.
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2012-02-20 10:51:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Florestan Bronstein
I'm an absolute sucker for cheesy space opera novels from the 70s/80s Big smile

C.J.Cherryh can come pretty close to the feeling of the EVE universe at times - try Merchanter's Luck (or Downbelow Station) for some light reading.

Vernor Vinge and Alastair Reynolds both write awesome science fiction that has very little similarities to the EVE universe.

In general, EVE is a lot closer to the space opera genre than to "hard" science fiction.

A key element of the EVE universe is the rift between the perception of the capsuleers as immortal demigods by the universe at large in contrast to your self-perception as someone who starts out at the very bottom of the food-chain.
Compared to planet dwellers you are incredibly wealthy and powerful but compared to other capsuleers you are laughably poor and ignorant. The differences in wealth and status between the elitist few are so much larger than the difference between the general population and "the elite" - but most planet dwellers would never be aware of this.

I can't really think of any SF novels that deal with a comparable setting - but I am sure they exist. After all this is a pretty hot topic given all the RL rhetoric about rising inequality, the developing world vs the developed world, the 99% vs the 1%, ... and SF/utopian literature in general is a time-proven way to discuss such topics from a more neutral perspective.
Andrev Nox
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2012-02-20 11:11:15 UTC
coolzero wrote:
the mars trilogy from Kim Stanley Robinson

+1000

Somer Blink - The original microlottery site.

Rico Minali
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2012-02-20 11:14:40 UTC
Sara XIII wrote:
Old man's war by John Scalzi.

Awesome books, his forst novel Agent to the satrs is great too.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Abavus Durden
Pukin' Dogs
#30 - 2012-02-20 11:22:09 UTC

Try The Inincorporated Man series. Near future (year 2300 ish). Book 1 is a lot of setup. Book 2 begins a civil war between the scrappy outer planets and the Mars/Earth evil hypercapitalist core. Good space fights in book 2.

Another series showing promise is Leviathan Wakes. Good as a standalone novel, but Book 2 is out in June.
coolzero
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2012-02-20 11:31:34 UTC
Abavus Durden wrote:

Try The Inincorporated Man series. Near future (year 2300 ish). Book 1 is a lot of setup. Book 2 begins a civil war between the scrappy outer planets and the Mars/Earth evil hypercapitalist core. Good space fights in book 2.

Another series showing promise is Leviathan Wakes. Good as a standalone novel, but Book 2 is out in June.

The Unincorporated Man :)

witchking42
Node Nibblers
#32 - 2012-02-20 11:48:28 UTC
Ciar Meara wrote:

The Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, they have all the tech from the eve universe the server is even named after the main space station in the books.

Very good books, very good sci fi, sentient ships, implants, drones, some "horror" and a come back to life all capone!

+1

Excellent read

wk42
Destru Kaneda
Arzad Police Department
#33 - 2012-02-20 11:52:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Destru Kaneda
Philip K. ****

An author so thoroughly bad-ass that even his name gets censored.
BellaDonna Nyghtshade
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2012-02-20 12:09:35 UTC
In specific order ( good luck finding some of these though..... )

The Complete Robot
Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn
Robots and Empire
The Currents of Space
The Stars, Like Dust
Pebble in the Sky
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth

Brilliant series. You *WILL* read these over and over through the years.

Timeless classics.

Mas Yelwok
Clan of the blue spotted goat
#35 - 2012-02-20 12:30:50 UTC
Try anything by Larry Niven his collaborations with Jerry Pournelle are very good reading....
Also try Christopher Rowley great writer...just read this about his Starhammer novel :
Quote:
His novel Starhammer has been cited by computer programmer Jason Jones as an important literary influence in the creation of the Halo video game by Bungie Studios

Enjoy
Luh Windan
EVE G-O-A-T-S
Strictly Unprofessional
#36 - 2012-02-20 12:48:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Luh Windan
Charles Stross (some of his books are not 'mainstream' Scifi but they are all good),
another big vote for Iain Banks,
Alastair Reynolds (basically start at his first book and keep reading they are all excellent)
Peter Watts ( if you like your Scifi very hard and disturbing - you can also get most of it free at the moment from his website in kindle format http://rifters.com/ - I found the aliens in blindsight particularly chilling)
Vernor Vinge - particularly Zones of Thought books and Rainbows end)
John M Harrison (more literary than space opera but utterly brilliant)
earlier Greg Egan if you like your Scfi very hard indeed - later stuff is interesting but dull)
Early William Gibson for the cyberpunk stuff - later William Gibson for near future - I much prefer the recent books but not really spaceships and guns)
John Scalzi as has been mentioned
Starship Troopers by Heinlen (there is some great Heinlein and there is some ultra hippy nonsense)
Peter F Hamilton for space opera on a very wide scale - all excellent
really enjoyed Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear not read anything else by him,
Asimov is great as mentioned up above
Embassytown by China MiƩville - all his books are great but that is the only Scifi one
Cordwainer Smith - I love this guys work but it's a little 'odd'
Samuel Delaney - Babel 17 and Nova are very accessible but Delaney is an amazing author and Dhalgren is one of my favourites - a total head trip of a book.
oh and another 'odd but brilliant' one - Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde - makes no attempt at exposition so is very bewildering at first but well worth the journey. (oh and no space ships but hey - Scifi is about exploring ideas as much as anything)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head (and from a quick skim of my Kindle archive) should get you started

oh and yes Phillip K D.... - very variable quality but some real gems (and headfucks) of books - Ubik or Flow my tears said the policeman are great places to start

(I notice I've referred to the 'hardness' of scifi a couple of times - hard Scifi is when the science is based in fact)
Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
#37 - 2012-02-20 12:53:35 UTC
BellaDonna Nyghtshade wrote:
In specific order ( good luck finding some of these though..... )

The Complete Robot
Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn
Robots and Empire
The Currents of Space
The Stars, Like Dust
Pebble in the Sky
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth

Brilliant series. You *WILL* read these over and over through the years.

Timeless classics.

Yes, yes and yes!! Masterful Classics, conceived by Isaac Asimov for the most part. The Harry Seldon and R.Daneel Olivaw characters (among others) will have you rivetted to these books. Especially R.Daneel, the seemingly eternal Robot.

Grammaticus DeVere
POS Builder Inc.
#38 - 2012-02-20 13:26:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Grammaticus DeVere
I recerntly downloaded a series of books onto my Kindle, under the umbrella title of "Spinward Fringe", by Raymond Lalonde...there are currently 7 episodes, and they are self-published by the author.

I suspect the author knows someting of EVE, even if he's not a player....there just some very obvious similarities with the game.

There are some typos and stuff but after all it's self-published...and at least a few of them are free from Amazon.

HTH

G

Edit --- "Levathian Wakes" is rubbish!
Abavus Durden
Pukin' Dogs
#39 - 2012-02-20 13:29:41 UTC
coolzero wrote:
Abavus Durden wrote:

The Unincorporated Man :)

Gah, good catch.
Jenna Nicole
Colonial Marines EVE Division
#40 - 2012-02-20 13:36:57 UTC
This is absolutely fantastic folks! Looks like I'm 'booked' for the next few years... Pun intended!