These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

What is a carebare?

Author
Rikanin
The Azerick Corporation
#41 - 2012-02-14 20:20:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Rikanin
Carebear is one of those things that has no solid definition. Ask a different person, get a different answer.

My experience is this...

A Carebear is a derogatory label slapped on anybody who doesn't play the game the way the speaker thinks they should.

It's all about making themselves feel better at someone else's expense.

It means almost nothing except maybe, "I don't want people to think I'm one...so I'm gonna call YOU one!"

It's a stupid and completely irrelevant designation assigned by completely stupid and irrelevant people.

(This isn't to say there doesn't exist a definition I would agree with but there is no set definition so...)
Rath Kelbore
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#42 - 2012-02-14 20:24:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Rath Kelbore
Carebear is the word you are looking for. No idea what a carebare would be?

Anyways, many definitions given above are incorrect. Carebear is not a derogatory term in and of itself imo, even though it is almost always used as such.

Mainly a carebear is someone that avoids risk. The most common application would be something representative of a high sec mission runner, miner, industrialist or whatever. I am a carebear for example. I have an alt that does nothing but industry/trade and hasn't been in a fight with players or npc's for that matter in a long long time.

Popular belief is the term carebear applies only to those listed in the above statement, this is not true. The most caring of the species actually lives in null sec. I prefer to call then nullbears but they are carebears just the same. These are the ones that live in null(duh), have intel channels to inform them of any potential incoming threat, and pretty much do the same thing that miners and/or mission runners in high sec do, the only difference being they aren't really running missions, they're running anomolies which to me, seem exactly the same other than having to turn the mission in which you don't do for anoms.

If/when anything happens to perk the nullbears safety instincts, they warp to a station/pos and wait for the possible threat to move on. The best part is, this makes most sov null sec way safer than high sec. Few people believe this but it's true.

They lay claim to being leet pvp due to the fact that they sometime join alliance fleets and go blob around occasionally. Every once in awhile a good fight is even had, most the time however, not so much. They're killboards are almost always above 95 percent efficiency(player killboard not alliance)and because of that they think they're pretty good, and maybe they are who knows.

I have been and probably will be a null bear off an on over the years.

So, there you have it. Next time someone calls you a carebear, you'll know what they mean. You could probably even call them one in return, and it will most likely be true.

I plan on living forever.......so far, so good.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#43 - 2012-02-14 20:40:14 UTC
A carebear is someone who hasn't quite grasped that tenet of Eve: Don't fly what you can't afford to lose. They get so emotionally or financially invested in one ship that when you blow it up, they rage at the loss instead of learning from it. They are the risk-averse dullards who whine when they're ganked, scrape off wardecs, hide behind station games and neutral logis, and refuse to engage in PVP without a 99% chance of winning. They're the people who can't have fun unless the game is played completely on their terms.

And if you're having to wonder...yes I did just call you a carebear.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Ganagati
Perkone
Caldari State
#44 - 2012-02-14 22:08:27 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Ganagati wrote:

A carebear also encompasses suicide gankers, who only fight when they have calculated risks and can hide behind the system that is put in place, while attempting to call themselves PvPers. They, like mining carebears, would get eaten alive in 0.0 PvP and probably ragequit with many tears, though right now they'd deny it vehemently.

I disagree. Losing a ship is so obnoxious to a carebear that he will never ever, under any circumstances accept the loss of his ship, even if the loss is calculated as in suicide ganking.
Also, the typical carebear has very poor skills for suicide ganking as he usually trains directly to Drake and from there on up to Tengu, all other skillpoints go into mining.

(God, I just realize how much I hate them...worst thing about this is that I might be a carebear myself...)

Suicidebears don't throw away their own ship. They buy a cheap ship that can accomplish the task that is designed from the very beginning to be lost. Suiciding takes no real skill- just a quick google search for the right build and the wallet to afford the loss... which is great for suicidebears, since they can bring in money missioning after they get done with their calculated loss attack!

Remove highsec completely, please, so we can play with suicidebears more. :)

Ditra Vorthran
Caldari Imports and Exports
#45 - 2012-02-14 22:32:47 UTC
Here’s a decent description of a carebear that does a good job of encompassing both the positive and negative aspects of what a carebear is:

"It is a derogatory term used by PVP-focused players to rile up players who tend to live in High-Sec or relatively safe pockets deep within null-sec and focus nearly exclusively on grinding for isk. The term has nowadays evolved into any activity which provide a revenue to the player and is usually intermixed with the commonly used racial slur: Jewage. So we now have moon-bears, incursion-bears, belt-bears, wormhole-bears, whore-bears, northern bears, BFF and the list goes on.

To me a carebear is a person who makes proper use of in-game content, either for profit, novelty, or standings goals. This would lead me to the generalization that in some way or another, every player engages in a carebearing."

http://www.evenews24.com/2012/02/14/rvrnicsm7-the-carebear-nation-rats-incursions-and-miners/

This covers everyone from people to rat in null sec, mine, mission, or run incursions in high sec and marketers. About the only type of person that this doesn’t apply to are the people who do nothing but PvP

"Miners mine so I don't have to." ~Metal Icarus

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2012-02-14 22:38:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Fredfredbug4
I always thought a carebear was someone that tries to avoid pvp activities as much as possible simply because they don't like fighting.

It's not the fact that they focus on making money, it's just that they aren't using the money they make for anything, it just seems redundant and pointless.

I don't hate carebears or actively try to put them down but I just think they aren't fitting the spirit of EVE.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Tore Vest
#47 - 2012-02-14 22:41:44 UTC
Bear

No troll.

Previous page123