These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

What is a carebare?

Author
Aiwha
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#21 - 2012-02-14 15:04:47 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
Aiwha wrote:
A carebear is a whiny (please note this, it is important) denizen of highsec that engages in either mining, or mission running. The carebear believes that this game is WoW in space, and expects it to be treated as such. Hallmark of the carebear are terrible fits, an immense ego, and many many long winded forum threads detailing how terrible this game is.

A carebear is not to be confused with an industrialist, someone who simply engages in highsec activity while following generally accepted standards and practices. An industrialist takes proper precaution and only suffers losses in circumstances that could be considered "bad luck".

http://www.punjabigraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/tenderheart-bear-3.gif

:D

http://www.hitupmyspot.com/carebear/0bcare9001.jpg

Nullsec has no use for carebears.

Now ponies on the other hand...

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#22 - 2012-02-14 15:07:39 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

I have met several people in this game already who bloat about never ever having been killed although they play the game for years.

That sounds uncomfortable. You should contract them some gas-x

Sorry- I was so anxious not to confuse "your" and "you're" that I made other typos instead....Oops

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#23 - 2012-02-14 15:31:33 UTC
Akrasjel Lanate wrote:
Aiwha wrote:
A carebear is a whiny (please note this, it is important) denizen of highsec that engages in either mining, or mission running. The carebear believes that this game is WoW in space, and expects it to be treated as such. Hallmark of the carebear are terrible fits, an immense ego, and many many long winded forum threads detailing how terrible this game is.

A carebear is not to be confused with an industrialist, someone who simply engages in highsec activity while following generally accepted standards and practices. An industrialist takes proper precaution and only suffers losses in circumstances that could be considered "bad luck".

The **** dude Shocked

He's right

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Valei Khurelem
#24 - 2012-02-14 15:32:47 UTC
No he isn't, carebears are adorable fuzzy bears with logos on their chest that want to go around hugging everyone

*HUGS SERGE BASTANA*

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Alara IonStorm
#25 - 2012-02-14 15:48:22 UTC
Aiwha wrote:

Now ponies on the other hand...

The Nullsec Doctrine.

Where do I sign!
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#26 - 2012-02-14 15:50:46 UTC
Maxious wrote:
Sorry I don't interact much and it's been some time, I've kinda lost track of the formn lingo. Unless there is a list of terms somewhere. Just wondering what you guys think. What's is a carebare? How do you classify one? Do you think their good or bad? What's your thoughts on them in general? And how could one avoid being one?

No one has answered this in over 25 years.

You must know this.

Troll.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#27 - 2012-02-14 15:56:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Pak Narhoo
Don't mix up the real care bear with the one with occasional teeth. Smile
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#28 - 2012-02-14 16:02:42 UTC
Pak Narhoo wrote:
Don't mix up the real care bear with the one with occasional teeth. Smile

Yup........in my noob days, canflippers used to THINK I was one.........then out comes my Drake.......and then I got to watch and read the QQ Big smile

Those flipper QQ's are E P I C

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Roosterton
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2012-02-14 16:11:06 UTC
A carebear isn't necessarily somebody who PVEs a lot.

PvEing doesn't make you a carebear; it just means you're "carebearing." Everyone's done this at some point, because everyone needs an isk source somehow. It's not inherently bad to run an isk profit every once in a while.

What makes you a carebear is when this translates to or interferes with all of EVE, and not just your iskmaking activities. If you've stockpiled a crapload of cash and don't want to go out PVPing in something relatively cheap because "you might die," then you're a carebear. If you can't bear to accept any sort of New Eden monetary loss, then you're a carebear. If you're unwilling to partake in the most fun parts of this game - solo/small gang PVP - because you know that it's hard and might result in your death a few times, then you're a carebear.

This doesn't mean carebears are limited to highsec. There can be and have been carebears living in Sov. Nullsec and WH space, and I'm sure they can also be found in NPC null and lowsec.

Hell, even a PVPer can be a carebear. If you're not willing to engage unless you have vastly superior numbers and ship sizes because you "might die" when you engage not in those circumstances, you're still a carebear.
Alara IonStorm
#30 - 2012-02-14 16:14:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Those flipper QQ's are E P I C

The Bottom of the PvP Barrel provide a metric **** ton of whinage when they get countered. It is literally hilarious.

The best part is any ship that fits Duel Webs and Medium ECM Drones is pretty much guaranteed a win or escape. Since you get first shot you can use that to hold them in place and cycle ECM Drones in and out of your Drone Bay. So even if they bring Logi they don't get a kill.

Fun lil trick.
Sade Onyx
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2012-02-14 16:36:41 UTC
Goodness all these answers and noone has really answered the question.

A "Care Bear" is simply someone who avoids PvP.

To a miner who docks up in 0.0, a farmer of plex's in low-sec, a P.I Monkey in W-space or a mission runner in high-sec.

A Care Bear is simply someone who avoids pvp, either because they cant, or wont and the truth is they are everywhere!

Everyone has been, is being, will be a carebear at some point. (or has an alt that is)
Lharanai
Fools of the Blue Oyster
#32 - 2012-02-14 16:38:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Lharanai
carebear ---- there are dozens of definitions so I can only add my own :0

carebear = someone who avoids the risk/challenge of losing his ship or ruining the stats of his biased killboard.

"pvpler" who only fight in blobs - CAREBEAR
"pvpler" who only wardec smaller groups and only play station games with neutral RR - CAREBEAR
"pveler" whodo not undock during a wardec - CAREBEAR
"lowsec/nullsec dwellers" who dock at once if they are not alone in system or with others then blues - CAREBEAR

there is no thing as a general highsec CAREBEAR, carebearism is not restricted to highsec, and also a lot of players are not carebears the whole time.

I am a carebear if I need to make ISK, I am a carebear when I transport stuff through lowsec, scout, Mwd+cloak, etc, but I am not a carebear when it comes to pvp, because I do not stay docked during Wardecs, I love being hunted by "pvplers" in low sec, I enjoy surviving a gate camp when I am alone in a T1 cruiser and the campers have fancy T2 or faction ships...
And I am not a carebear because I am not concerned about my killboard.

A good killboard can only mean two things:

1) you are a superior pvpler, yes they exist, but they are a minority
2) you only fight when it is clear that you will win, because of weak prey or superior equipment, which is the majoriy
(get me that clear, nothing is wrong with that, it would be stupid not to use your advantages, it just annoys me that some people brag to be the ultimate pvpler because of their fancy KB)

Also a bad killboard can mean two things:

1) You suck at pvp or understanding the eve mechanisms - and that is the majority, giving easy kills away, I have been there once too :)

2) you don't care - which is the other majority :)

coming back to OP, how to recognize the ultimate carebear? An complete empty Killboard on an active account, again nothing is wrong with that, it shows that you are a very skilled and successful CAREBEAR (only valid if you undock regularly and are not in an NPC corp :))

Seriously, don't take me serious, I MEAN IT...seriously

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#33 - 2012-02-14 16:53:06 UTC
I read the thread again, then other threads by Maxious. I think he is just pretending (because trolling is such a bad word).
All that "I am new, I am clueless"-stuff from a 2005 character?
And although his questions sound noobish (how do I do level 4 missions? how do I mine? what is a carebear?) they are almost always spot-on and evolve into threads that actually tend to go quite deep (as far as it is possible with video games).
I don't know why you are playing these kinds of games, Maxious, but I approve of it.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#34 - 2012-02-14 16:54:47 UTC
Roosterton wrote:
A carebear isn't necessarily somebody who PVEs a lot.

PvEing doesn't make you a carebear; it just means you're "carebearing." Everyone's done this at some point, because everyone needs an isk source somehow. It's not inherently bad to run an isk profit every once in a while.

What makes you a carebear is when this translates to or interferes with all of EVE, and not just your iskmaking activities. If you've stockpiled a crapload of cash and don't want to go out PVPing in something relatively cheap because "you might die," then you're a carebear. If you can't bear to accept any sort of New Eden monetary loss, then you're a carebear. If you're unwilling to partake in the most fun parts of this game - solo/small gang PVP - because you know that it's hard and might result in your death a few times, then you're a carebear.

This doesn't mean carebears are limited to highsec. There can be and have been carebears living in Sov. Nullsec and WH space, and I'm sure they can also be found in NPC null and lowsec.

Hell, even a PVPer can be a carebear. If you're not willing to engage unless you have vastly superior numbers and ship sizes because you "might die" when you engage not in those circumstances, you're still a carebear.

This I suppose.

In EVE, most of time a carebear is a flame because it assumes too much. How much ISK the proverbial carebear has, how long it took them to get it, how often they will be expecting to put themselves in the PvP zone. It's a watermark for 'I don't know but really want you to make a move' and here is my wornout taunt to get the ball rolling,

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Mokokan
Transtar Services
#35 - 2012-02-14 17:16:19 UTC
Maxious wrote:
Sorry I don't interact much and it's been some time, I've kinda lost track of the formn lingo. Unless there is a list of terms somewhere. Just wondering what you guys think. What's is a carebare? How do you classify one? Do you think their good or bad? What's your thoughts on them in general? And how could one avoid being one?

As you can tell from the responses, it depends on who you ask. Sometimes it's a noun, an adjective or a verb. To some it's a nasty term, to some it's just a playful jibe to someone who is less aggressive than you.

I've been in 0.0, camped gates, been camped, defended and blasted POS's, helped deploy the egg for an outpost, won and lost in massive fleet fights, and been triumphant and humiliated in small gang actions. I've been in high sec corps, decced and been decced. I've been both clever and downright stupid in solo fights. I had a blast.

But right now I'm "carebearing it up" in high sec 'cause I feel like it. A little mining, a little missioning, some ratting, hauling, manufacturing, and even some market trading. To some i am an ebil carebear now, and to some I'm just knockin around , playing the game the way I wanna.

The whiney, wide-eyed, "why'd you shoot at me?" guys that haven't been properly introduced into the game deserve our efforts at education, not our contempt.

My point? Don't get so hung up on a word that has several "meanings" and all sorts of emotional baggage attached to it by various individuals. Minimize local, lol. Play the game.

Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#36 - 2012-02-14 17:23:20 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
No he isn't, carebears are adorable fuzzy bears with logos on their chest that want to go around hugging everyone

*HUGS SERGE BASTANA*

I'd change your medication and get outdoors more.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Alistair Cononach
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#37 - 2012-02-14 18:39:08 UTC
Carebear:

--Chooses to engage in PvE Activity within EVE Only (or in the vast majority).

--Often avoids interaction with other players.

--Tends to play EVE as if EVE were a single player game (instead of a PvP Focussed MMO), and

--Generally gets very angry and often vocally so, when any other player's activities can adversely affect them or their gameplay without their explicit previous permission (which they would, generally, never give).

Examples: Someone who runs Level 4 Missions all the time for isk to buy better PvE Ships and Fittings while ignoring other aspects of EVE, or Mines 24/7 to sell on the Market for isk to accumulate, generally lives only in High-Sec, often as part of an NPC Corp or dedicated PvE-Only Corp, could be described as a Care Bear.

There is nothing wrong with them, thats their choice and it should be respected. But when they promote rules changes that give them 100% immunity, or otherwise affect the "Sandbox", then they generally draw the ire of other players.

Also, of course, most who DO PvP see PvE-Only Bears as lesser players, in every way, to players who do engage in Player vs. Player combat.
Anshio Tamark
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2012-02-14 19:35:53 UTC
In my opinion, a carebear is any player who seems to believe that the entire game revolves around them. In many cases, these players are miners or mission-runners, who get extremely angry when others suddenly show up and start whining about it in local. This can even occur if they're mining a belt, and another player starts mining the same belt from the opposite end (yes, I've seen it in local). Carebears don't have any guts at all and when faced with a challenge, they're more likely to run away whining, than actually do something about the challenge, i.e. learn to fight back. They're also likely targets for war-deccers, who in turn, are also carebears, as they don't take any risk when wardeccing high-sec mission runners.

The more widely accepted definition of what a carebear is, is someone who doesn't participate in PVP activities of any variety, whether it be market PVP or PVP-combat.
Ganagati
Perkone
Caldari State
#39 - 2012-02-14 19:44:59 UTC
Anshio Tamark wrote:
In my opinion, a carebear is any player who seems to believe that the entire game revolves around them. In many cases, these players are miners or mission-runners, who get extremely angry when others suddenly show up and start whining about it in local. This can even occur if they're mining a belt, and another player starts mining the same belt from the opposite end (yes, I've seen it in local). Carebears don't have any guts at all and when faced with a challenge, they're more likely to run away whining, than actually do something about the challenge, i.e. learn to fight back. They're also likely targets for war-deccers, who in turn, are also carebears, as they don't take any risk when wardeccing high-sec mission runners.

The more widely accepted definition of what a carebear is, is someone who doesn't participate in PVP activities of any variety, whether it be market PVP or PVP-combat.

A carebear also encompasses suicide gankers, who only fight when they have calculated risks and can hide behind the system that is put in place, while attempting to call themselves PvPers. They, like mining carebears, would get eaten alive in 0.0 PvP and probably ragequit with many tears, though right now they'd deny it vehemently.

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-02-14 20:00:31 UTC
Ganagati wrote:

A carebear also encompasses suicide gankers, who only fight when they have calculated risks and can hide behind the system that is put in place, while attempting to call themselves PvPers. They, like mining carebears, would get eaten alive in 0.0 PvP and probably ragequit with many tears, though right now they'd deny it vehemently.

I disagree. Losing a ship is so obnoxious to a carebear that he will never ever, under any circumstances accept the loss of his ship, even if the loss is calculated as in suicide ganking.
Also, the typical carebear has very poor skills for suicide ganking as he usually trains directly to Drake and from there on up to Tengu, all other skillpoints go into mining.

(God, I just realize how much I hate them...worst thing about this is that I might be a carebear myself...)

Previous page123Next page