These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

SWToR Just hit the iceberg=Tortanic!

Author
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#161 - 2012-08-02 01:28:43 UTC
Jim Era wrote:
star wars has expired.
its over.
deal with it
stop trying to make more star wars things (besides legos because they're cewl)

Don't forget the Ryan v. Dork-man videos!

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Arkturus McFadden
Anukar
#162 - 2012-08-02 05:13:29 UTC
Really hits me that this game isn't going to make it.

I followed it for four years, made an RP group and we basically waited all that time..

Then when it finally released we played till February and ultimately we all just said.. yeah.. this isn't pre-cu SWG..

..and left.

Such a tragic end to a Star Wars game..hopefully one day we'll see the rise of truly amazing Star Wars games again.

Tie Fighter? Jedi Knight Series? Battlefront?

... hell even a rehash of SWG?

One can only dream.

pussnheels
Viziam
#163 - 2012-08-02 09:11:42 UTC
next MMO that is going to fail will be TES online ( the elders scroll) , sure they still working on it and willbe a long while before it comes out, but looks like it will be another WoWclone and will probably dissapoint its longtime hardcore fans of the series , including me

Sadly i just got myself banned from their forums for saying that 95 % of all console games are kiddies games
damn kids and their xbox

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Pix Severus
Empty You
#164 - 2012-08-02 12:21:13 UTC
pussnheels wrote:
next MMO that is going to fail will be TES online ( the elders scroll) , sure they still working on it and willbe a long while before it comes out, but looks like it will be another WoWclone and will probably dissapoint its longtime hardcore fans of the series , including me

I'm also expecting a huge disappointment for the Elder Scrolls MMO. It's such a shame to see the series ruined by what will undoubetdly be yet another failed WoW clone. I wish these people would realise that copying WoW = failure, can't they see the trend?

If people want to play WoW, they'll play WoW, it has lots of players already there, and the game has been polished over many years. Why should they go play some clone of it, just because it has a different name?

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#165 - 2012-08-02 13:23:42 UTC
Arkturus McFadden wrote:
Really hits me that this game isn't going to make it.

I followed it for four years, made an RP group and we basically waited all that time..

Then when it finally released we played till February and ultimately we all just said.. yeah.. this isn't pre-cu SWG..

..and left.

Such a tragic end to a Star Wars game..hopefully one day we'll see the rise of truly amazing Star Wars games again.

Tie Fighter? Jedi Knight Series? Battlefront?

... hell even a rehash of SWG?

One can only dream.

Why were you expecting anything like SWG? Bioware were very open about what kind of experience they were aiming for.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#166 - 2012-08-02 14:17:28 UTC
Pix Severus wrote:
pussnheels wrote:

I'm also expecting a huge disappointment for the Elder Scrolls MMO. It's such a shame to see the series ruined by what will undoubetdly be yet another failed WoW clone. I wish these people would realise that copying WoW = failure, can't they see the trend?

If people want to play WoW, they'll play WoW, it has lots of players already there, and the game has been polished over many years. Why should they go play some clone of it, just because it has a different name?

I have to agree with this as well. As soon as they released their plans for the game I took one look and logged off. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Skyrim Online. Get rid of usual class system and let people build a character on skills like we have here (major win for ccp).

And outside of that I have had other ideas for games like bringing back player built strongholds on the open world, more variance in character selection (Fantasy, FF variance of character models), and a stronger player influence (economy and politics) rather than turn the game into raid grind online. I want to see people actually fight for resources, actually work together to defend a keep, send out raids on little convoys, put the content in the players hands.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Darius Brinn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#167 - 2012-08-03 10:33:23 UTC
As a former WoW player, some times I get the urge to install and play something similar.

I tried Age of Conan, D&D online, Lord of the Rings online, and a few others.

None of them caught my attention at all.

Last week I downloaded the free trial of SWTOR, having been a die hard SW fan since the early 80's.

Honestly, I couldn't endure it past level 10 of my only character, a Sith Warrior. I reached the Sith fleet, turned him into a Sith Juggernaut and uninstalled it.

The story was NOT as compelling as it had been mentioned to me. The graphics were dissapointing in a computer that can run Skyrim at very high settings, and 90% of the Sith Warrior skills are directly copied from my old Prot Warrior in WoW.

It didn't feel in any way like KOTOR or other Bioware RPGs (which I absolutely adore).

No redeeming factors whatsoever. Bland and generic gameplay, and overall dissapointing.

And the problem is that they DON'T understand that WoW being 10 years old doesn't matter ONE BIT. You cannot compare a game you want to charge money for NOW with its competition FROM THE PAST.

If you are to release a WoW clone, at the very least make sure it has ALL the features WoW has now. I can see SWTOR couldn't wait until the devs implemented 15 raids, but for the love of god, there is NO excuse not to have a group finder or double talent trees at launch.

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#168 - 2012-08-03 12:30:30 UTC
Now that I've actually looked at the F2P /sub comparison chart they're going for I'm a bit perplexed. It's a hybrid model like in LoTRO, with some differences, but I'm not sure how they plan on making money of it. You get all the story content for free, which is arguably the only redeeming quality of the game. The problem is, that if you get that for free, why would you pay for anything outside vanity options? Naturally there are some limitations, but they are in areas, that aren't considered good or are only minor inconveniences.

From what I've read and been told the game has no economy and crafting isn't a strong point either. Leveling is also fast, character creator is one of the weakest in recent years and all the alien races are just retextured humans. It just seems, that the advantages you get from paying for anything, as the game currently is, are non-existant. You have to pay to regularly access the multiplayer aspects, but that is done better by almost every competitor they have. It just seems weird to me, that you give the only strong content you have for free, while trying to make money on the content, that is the weakest.

The vanity market might be strong, since some of the current art style of clothing/armor is hated by the players. I'm sure stuff like black lightsaber blades and other lightsaber crystals will also sell quite nicely. It'll look awful and increasingly less and less like starwars or a coherent universe stylisticly, but it'll sell. I just don't think that's enough and they'll have to heavily rework the game or introduce P2W to get people to spend money.
Rashmika Clavain
Revelation Space
#169 - 2012-08-03 14:59:50 UTC
TL:DR?

ToR could've been spectacular.

Too much develpment focus in unecessary areas.

EA probably hamstrung it.

F2P within a year.

Straight
Tian Jade
Bad Bumblebee Incorporated
#170 - 2012-08-03 22:47:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Tian Jade
The problem was probably not EA but Bioware being inexperienced in the MMORPG business.

For a entertainment park RPG it was not enough like WoW, meaning there was not enough endgame content after players had burned through the level content to get to max level as fast as possible.

The level content with it's fully voiced over multiple choice dungeons is one of high maintenance. Meaning Bioware cannot just easily reskin a few NPC fiddle a bit with their toolset and then throw out new flashpoints every few weeks.

The people enjoying sandbox MMO and Sci Fi games were probably turned away by the fact that the game gives only an illusion of choice, with no real freedom on how to progress. Also the tunnel shooter they put in and labeled space combat turned away a lot of fans who might still have enjoyed the game. Besides the game is called star wars and the movies were never only about light sabers and the force, but also about epic space battles and at that point Bioware also failed.
NeoShocker
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#171 - 2012-08-04 02:33:04 UTC  |  Edited by: NeoShocker
Heh, glad I saved about 400+ dollars from not buying those games (400+ steam games mind you) because I knew they (SWTOR, WHO, Conan, etc) won't appeal to me in a long run, unlike Ragnarok Online (4 years) and Eve-Online (6 years and counting).

Good thing I made a vow to never try another "hack and slash" games after RO unless it REALLY appealed to me. Only WoW lasted me about a year, no other games got close (usually 2 weeks or less). As soon as I reached my first max level after Wraith of the Lich King expansion came out, I immediately quit the game. The thought of doing long hours of raiding for good gear ...

Anyway, by biggest mistake in my gaming career, was buying lifetime sub for Star Trek Online because ... Well, its Star Trek, I was thinking they won't **** it up (badly enough) for such a good franchise. I only made two mistake, my first one is 60 bucks on guild wars and quit after 2 weeks, STO was my 2nd mistake.

Offtopic, yeah, well, STO related. I have two brothers of mine, were hyped for SWToR. After two months, they stopped playing. Funny huh? They didn't reach max levels I don't think... :) I was | | close to buy it, thank god I didn't.
Astenion
Nephilim Coalition
#172 - 2012-08-04 22:22:25 UTC
It's really sad. I played until recently, and although I enjoy the game, if it weren't SW I wouldn't play it. When I came to that realization it just kinda bummed me out. There's no endgame to SWTOR and content is few and far between. I enjoyed the first couple of characters I leveled up to 50, but after that it's just a grind.

Ah well. Still got mah good ole trusty Eve.
SpaceSquirrels
#173 - 2012-08-04 22:35:34 UTC
LOL I do remember reading previews, and the author, and from what I garnered from the info that it was the same old song and dance with star wars in the title.

And damn did I ever catch flak for saying that. But honestly how many out of the dozens of starwars games that are released are spectacular games? 10%? Now add that to dated MMO mechanics, and pay model. What did you think was going to happen?

Granted most MMO's these days seem to have a substantial release then bottom out, and then find a loyal albeit small player base.

Furthermore the definition for measure of success in MMO's me thinks is changing.
Elias Greyhand
#174 - 2012-08-04 22:36:27 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Pix Severus wrote:
pussnheels wrote:

I have to agree with this as well. As soon as they released their plans for the game I took one look and logged off. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Skyrim Online. Get rid of usual class system and let people build a character on skills like we have here (major win for ccp).

Like a lot of games concepts these days, as I soon as I heard TES MMO I died a little bit more inside.

"That which is done cannot be undone. But it can be avenged."