These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New players and Null-sec:

Author
gfldex
#21 - 2012-02-04 18:49:26 UTC
Janis Ezra wrote:
Fun fact: They are heavy oriented in scamming newbies. Good luck with joining goons or test without getting scammed, or spending endless time on a stupid forum to get invited.
Dont spread false informations in a thread about newbies and null.

You mean those newbies who happen to have the rather large amount for several billion ISK? I'm terribly sorry but you are getting noobs wrong with newbies. Goons scam noobs because they don't want to recruit them.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Honnete Du Decimer
#22 - 2012-02-04 18:51:55 UTC
Themick Mccoy wrote:
new player aversion to null-sec.
Quote:
.High sec large alliance = (No worry CTA. No worry politic. No worry ego rubbish null sec.)

Fini.

PMS [:p]

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#23 - 2012-02-04 18:52:25 UTC
Themick Mccoy wrote:
I recently read, though for the life of me I cannot recall where, a quote that said to the effect; "Null-sec needs new blood. The past three years the same people have been fighting each other, just cycled around."What causes this? Why is it that the newer players do not get involved with null-sec?

This morning I got a wild hair up- well, you don't need the details, but suffice it to say, I was bored. I went on an adventure 86 jumps throughout Null/Low-sec. I witnessed good fights, ransoms, evaded gatecamps and bubbles. I met some pilots and bs was shot aplenty. I, in the span of a few hours, witnessed much more exciting things happening than can be said for empire space.This is where the real game was being played and in my opinion, the newer players need to experience this.

I have friends that are fps whores, and tabletop nerds, but when shown The Butterfly Effect trailer, they became interested in EVE. This idea that one can participate in massive conflicts that can see thousands of real people square off in border disputes, villainous raids, or wars of conquest is intriguing. Sov conflict, the idea of it, is what brings new players.

I hardly am influential, but if there were one thing I could charge CSM6 and CSM7 with, it would be to worry about the game's newest generation. Without new players the game will eventually die out.

I have a revolutionary idea... if most players choose to stay in hisec, make hisec the most interesting thing to do in game rather than try and shanghai them into playing nullsec *wink, wink* Blink

Themick Mccoy
#24 - 2012-02-04 18:53:00 UTC
Dark, I read your post and I agree with some of your points. Sov bills are too damn high in general. The other points you make about a new corp/alliance making headway into Sov space can be fix by politics. Yes politics. There are Sov alliances out there that are I am sure a bunch of dastardly bastards who want no one else to hold Sov, but there are also a fair share that I am sure are open to diplomatic approach. No one can control all of 0.0.

That is why coalitions are formed. That is why alliances allow others into their space. I admitted earlier that I am new, but I have read about how in the past such-and-such alliance got kicked out of their space and this-or-that group shared space with them until they got back up on their feet.

I think in the end there are quite a few things wrong with null that need to be changed, and they were brought up in the winter minutes. Sov bills are retardedly(sic) expensive. Tech moons either need a rebalance or need to be tied in with Sov ownership in my opinion. However, these things can be worked around with perseverance, and determination.

My new goal is to bubble a super....but who is going to kill it for me?

Themick Mccoy
#25 - 2012-02-04 19:03:10 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:

I have a revolutionary idea... if most players choose to stay in hisec, make hisec the most interesting thing to do in game rather than try and shanghai them into playing nullsec *wink, wink* Blink

Like I said in the OP, it isn't High-sec in my opinion that draws people to the game, it is the sov wars. EVE isn't, from what I have seen, advertised from the angle of high-sec. It isn't marketed to be a "safe" game.

Also, if high-sec isn't the most interesting, why are the players there? Is it a difference between what the game is marketed as from what it has turned out to be? Where is the breakdown coming in at? Are you saying that most people are missioners, miners and marketers in high-sec? Please expand upon your post. Also, if you were to change the direction of the game away from null-sec, would you be also willing to give up the largest draw for new players? To be honest I haven't heard of anyone wanting to start to play eve because they saw missioning and thought it was cool.

Themick Mccoy
#26 - 2012-02-04 19:19:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Themick Mccoy
PRO TRIPLE POST!

Honnete Du Decimer wrote:
Themick Mccoy wrote:
new player aversion to null-sec.
Quote:
.High sec large alliance = (No worry CTA. No worry politic. No worry ego rubbish null sec.)

Fini.

If I were to try and interpret your post I would say that your message is that new players are suppose to forget about null-sec, and stick with high-sec alliances.

While you have stated a couple pro's for high-sec, let's run down the cons:

**** high-sec wardecing mechanics,
repetitive game-play,

Also scamming is far more prevalent in high-sec, as are idiotic egomaniacs. In an earlier post you listed roaming low-sec and wormhole raids, but since these are not high-sec activities, they can not be listed as a high-sec positive. Incursions also happen in null, so there goes that bit also. You state; "Fini," I, on the other hand, disagree wholeheartedly.

$0.02 deposited.

Feligast
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2012-02-04 19:55:47 UTC
Themick Mccoy wrote:
Dark, I read your post and I agree with some of your points. Sov bills are too damn high in general. The other points you make about a new corp/alliance making headway into Sov space can be fix by politics. Yes politics. There are Sov alliances out there that are I am sure a bunch of dastardly bastards who want no one else to hold Sov, but there are also a fair share that I am sure are open to diplomatic approach. No one can control all of 0.0.

That is why coalitions are formed. That is why alliances allow others into their space. I admitted earlier that I am new, but I have read about how in the past such-and-such alliance got kicked out of their space and this-or-that group shared space with them until they got back up on their feet.

I think in the end there are quite a few things wrong with null that need to be changed, and they were brought up in the winter minutes. Sov bills are retardedly(sic) expensive. Tech moons either need a rebalance or need to be tied in with Sov ownership in my opinion. However, these things can be worked around with perseverance, and determination.

People don't want to use perserverance or determination.. they want things handed to them, like it is in hisec. Many people are so scared of even losing a frigate, they would never dream of going into lowsec for fear of evil pirates.

Goonfleet was formed long after the major players of nullsec were firmly established (Band of Brothers in particular), and we were regarded as hilarious children that would soon be put in our place by the mighty BoB. As you said, we were kicked (well, sov-billed) out of our space more than once, but we were taken in by a great group of people who called themselves Tau Ceti Federation. They let us crash on their couch in Deklein, get back on our feet, and train up into ships bigger than rifters. A couple years later, and you see what has happened, for good or bad, whatever your perspective.

Bottom line, make friends. Friends are the most important resource in Eve, and very, VERY few people, corps, or alliances can go far without them.
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-02-04 20:05:08 UTC

The problem here is that if hisec were as you suggest, then there'd be noone to run the null RMT empires.

Don't ban me, bro!

foxnod
Perkone
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-02-04 20:13:37 UTC  |  Edited by: foxnod
Dradius Calvantia wrote:
The problem there is not with the game mechanics. The problem is the extremely large number of bears that constantly proclaim that living in null sec is impossible and the only way to play the game is to grind the same 10 minutes of PVE content over and over again in the safety net of high sec.

I've seen the same thing. New players start in highsec, so the first group they're going to be exposed to are the losers who can do nothing but rant and rave about nullsec and it's inhabitants.

We have a training corp set up to get newer players into the nullsec lifestyle and we take them out roams through null/low with the vets to get them used to the lifestyle.

I used to recommend that newer players start off in renter alliances to get some experiance; I don't anymore since I've seen that the crappy renter alliances totally ruin people's first experiences.
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-02-04 20:17:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Fredfredbug4
I think the main problem is that PVP is just expensive. When you are a noob you will make a mistake (taking bait, underestimating opponents, bad ship fittings etc) and those mistakes will cause you too lose ships. Losing ships = losing money.

New players don't go to null sec as much because that's not where the money is. And even if their intention was to eventually go into null they later decide not to because they have everything in Hi-Sec

Solution- Take things out of hi-sec or make the stuff in null more common.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Jas Dor
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2012-02-04 20:23:47 UTC
People do not go to null because they do not want to leave their existing corps to do so. The NAV and player assets required of a null corp are so high that most corps can no longer move to null. In addition, unless your corp is a top tier null corp, your recruiting collapses upon moving to Null.

Not sure what the picture looks like for WH space, but if I were CEO of a 150man corp these days I'd be looking at WH and not Null.
Jas Dor
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2012-02-04 20:27:29 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
I think the main problem is that PVP is just expensive. When you are a noob you will make a mistake (taking bait, underestimating opponents, bad ship fittings etc) and those mistakes will cause you too lose ships. Losing ships = losing money.

New players don't go to null sec as much because that's not where the money is. And even if their intention was to eventually go into null they later decide not to because they have everything in Hi-Sec

Don't we have enough problems with players leaving the game because of a lack of high sec content. Add more high sec content that requires group play so that people can become accustom to working with each other. Also create an intermediate ground between the no combat caps found in empire and the supercap blobs in Null.
foxnod
Perkone
Caldari State
#33 - 2012-02-04 20:28:04 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:

Alot of people try to fly more ship than they can afford into PVP. The trick is to find the right balance to cover your losses.

Back down south before the anom nerf, I would go out on a roam or CTA for that day and run one sanctum. That was enough to cover all my losses and put a little aside every day. Since CCP screwed us nullseccers over I have to run 2 sites every day, but I can still cover my losses and put a little aside. It gets a little spendier when flying 100mn AB tengus and caps.

Most people who come to EVE, have come from other MMOs where the game is the gold/loot/level grind; so they come here and assume if they don't make at least 300mil a day then there's no way they can make any headway.
Themick Mccoy
#34 - 2012-02-04 20:47:56 UTC
foxnod wrote:

Most people who come to EVE, have come from other MMOs where the game is the gold/loot/level grind; so they come here and assume if they don't make at least 300mil a day then there's no way they can make any headway.

This is on aspect that I really enjoy. The game takes patience. It isn't a level grind and a year, two years down the pike I will still have things to shoot for.

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#35 - 2012-02-04 21:28:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
Themick Mccoy wrote:

Like I said in the OP, it isn't High-sec in my opinion that draws people to the game, it is the sov wars. EVE isn't, from what I have seen, advertised from the angle of high-sec. It isn't marketed to be a "safe" game.

EVE is the only spaceship based subscription hardcore MMORPG around. It's not as if ti was competing with "X Online".

So, why does people come into EVE? I'll tell you what drove me in: a whole gamer's life of playing freelancing spaceship games, and the rush of online PvP from il-2 Sturmovik.

But my opinion about nullsec moved from "huh" to "yikes" to "clean it with fire". Lol

Quote:
Also, if high-sec isn't the most interesting, why are the players there? Is it a difference between what the game is marketed as from what it has turned out to be? Where is the breakdown coming in at? Are you saying that most people are missioners, miners and marketers in high-sec?

So tell the ingame demographics. About 80% of logged in characters would be seen in highsec any random day. Mission runners used to be a whopping 18% of all players (in a game with about a hundred professions).

Nullsec is an organized, vocal minority, but players who never have been to nullsec are the single largest demographical group.

Of course, you may wonder why then EVE hasn't flipped on its side and died altogether, provided how bad it treats anyone not in nullsec, but then the question is that EVE used to grow by driving in more people than they were losing though the slow hisec hemorrhage. Reason is simple: this is the ONLY game you can play if you're into the Elite - Privateer - Freelancer - X series games and want to go online. Then, sooner or later either you will catch the nullsec virus or will learn that this game is none of the above but a kind of griefers paradise, that CCP is never factual when they plan to add human avatars, and you may even get tired of being called names or trolled all around when you join the forums to take a part in the cooking of the product.

Or, well, you may just grow bored of playing with the same toys and become a part of the slow hisec hemorrhage.

You know, none of the veterans that I met in my first 2 years still plays the game. None of them.
IIIAsharakIII
The League of Extraordinary Assholes
Leviathan.
#36 - 2012-02-04 21:51:05 UTC
OP:

Even though the names of the corporations and alliances generally stay the same, the faces change from month to month. True, there is usually a core component of people within every group, and these individuals usually make up the leadership or provide the glue which keeps the organization together. But the rest is very much a fluid mix of people joining and leaving and joining again. Thus, 0.0 populations are altered and varied continuously over time.

While I agree with you, that its the big stuff that drives people to eve, not the singular small stuff, you have to concede that what you see in 0.0 space today is a product of that big stuff. Its only reasonable that these factors led to this conclusion. Now, we can try to break these entities up, but in reality, what do you think we'll have in a year? Something different? More fragmentation? I find that doubtful. Alliances rise and fall in eve all the time, and in this regard I think its best to let it fragment naturally through the game, as opposed to creating restrictions.
Themick Mccoy
#37 - 2012-02-04 21:59:08 UTC
It isn't about tearing down the powerhouses, or re-inventing the wheel with me. I think after all this discussion it does come down to what was said on the first page:

KrakizBad wrote:

There are a plethora of good solo spaceships games for the anti-social. EVE isn't one of them.

Also the anti-null sentiment is en vogue on the forums, don't take it personally.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#38 - 2012-02-04 22:13:06 UTC
AllI can even say is when I was 7 months old, I poked my nose into a Low Sec System....and within 5 minutes got blasted to pieces, barely escaped in my pod, and was told "GTFO you F**kin' Noob. You have no F--cking business here. Idiot. OUT with you".

Wish I still had the original mail.

THAT's what's UP.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

The Apostle
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2012-02-04 22:37:17 UTC
Themick Mccoy wrote:

Quote:
......All time something for do for few hour and no worry CTA. No worry politic. No worry ego rubbish null sec.

Please do not quote on part of a person's post, it tends to give the wrong impression. Case in point, the example above makes it out that you cannot complete a sentence.

It can also be used to quote someone out-of-context. I did not mention incursions, high -sec mining or missioning in a group because I was responding to a post I quoted in which the author mentioned soloing.

Please keep this discussion going in a positive manner. The topic was new player aversion to null-sec.

He was.

He made the fact quite clearly that many new players have NO NEED to go to nullsec. It's less about aversion as it is about why bother?

You're quite right about the elements of gameplay "out there" but for a very long time - unless you have a special quality to further your interests/notoriety quickly - you'll be no more than a grunt/cannon-fodder.

Nullsec democracy is an oxymoron. Bloc voting for alliance candidates is Democracy for Morons 101. Let them perish in their self-interest.

Bring back Eve. OUR Eve.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#40 - 2012-02-04 22:42:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
The Apostle wrote:

You're quite right about the elements of gameplay "out there" but for a very long time - unless you have a special quality to further your interests/notoriety quickly - you'll be no more than a grunt/cannon-fodder.

THANK YOU !!

And SOMEone made a mistake in HIGH SEC in thinking High dwellers are ALL Carebears...then they met me last night. But it's STILL not worth it 'down there'.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882