These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

stealing virtual items is also theft in RL (according to dutch supreme court)

Author
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#21 - 2012-01-31 21:15:08 UTC
Come back, you've got my tankard!

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Skywalker
Dubai Space Falcons
#22 - 2012-01-31 21:15:46 UTC
Oh ****, means i got years of prison ahead of me.
Serene Repose
#23 - 2012-01-31 21:17:21 UTC
Who's going to sue first for emotional distress??

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Shizuken
Venerated Stars
#24 - 2012-01-31 21:57:23 UTC
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Op's interpretation would mean that all ingame wars were subject to the geneva convention.

One simple thing for the OP to remember when interpreting law, as I learned in law school, is that if you have two possible interpretations, one of which leads to absurdity and the other to something more reasonable, then the path taken by the courts will probably be the latter, not the former...
Feligast
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-01-31 21:58:49 UTC
Shizuken wrote:
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Op's interpretation would mean that all ingame wars were subject to the geneva convention.

One simple thing for the OP to remember when interpreting law, as I learned in law school, is that if you have two possible interpretations, one of which leads to absurdity and the other to something more reasonable, then the path taken by the courts will probably be the latter, not the former...

But not always. Absurdity in the court is not unheard of.
Killstealing
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2012-01-31 22:22:02 UTC
**** this country
Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2012-01-31 22:24:01 UTC
Saraya Velcrow wrote:
according to this dutch news article click here
Stealing virtual items in games is considered By the dutch supreme court real theft and thus a criminal act punishable by law.

What does CCP think about this i guess a countries supreme court overrules TOS from ccp ??

CCP owns all the virtual items in EVE, and we agree to that when we click "accept".

So, I suppose CCP could sue someone for theft of their imaginary stuffs, but since we don't own it, we can't.

:)

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

• Qolde
Freyya
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-01-31 23:30:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Freyya
Karn Dulake wrote:
The Dutch are only good for high quality drugs and ****. nothing else has any value coming out of the Netherlands

Id say thats 2 of the best things you can be good for really Lol ohh and dont forget some of the big advances in both medical and IT related fields which make your health and every dat life that much better. CCP Eris was Dutch iirc. Dunno of shes still with ccp though. Havent heard of her in a long time.

Dutch and proud of it! Twisted
Nephilius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-01-31 23:40:45 UTC
I guess there is precedent in Holland then. But that won't affect anyone else throughout the rest of the world, unless someone can absolutely convince a judge to view said Dutch precedent as a valid reason to further their own case.
"If."
Ai Shun
#30 - 2012-02-01 00:06:02 UTC
Sansha's Nation vs Saraya Velcrow. Followed a few weeks later by the new emboldened Guristas vs Saraya Velcrow. There is a lot of ISK begging that they'll be wanting back, you thief! Lol
Krios Ahzek
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#31 - 2012-02-01 00:32:18 UTC
holy **** I'm deleting my skyrim thief save

Though All Men Do Despise Us

Rene Fullchest
Doomheim
#32 - 2012-02-01 01:18:45 UTC
This has come up before. I am surprised that so many seem to think this is something new.

The EULA clearly states that all items IN the game belong to them, not to the players. Any money a player pays to CCP is ONLY for access to their game servers.

Given CCP's own terms of use, and despite whatever ruling some Dutch court makes, it does not apply to the vast majority of Eve players. It sets no precedents whatsoever.

As many have said, the 'crime' appears to have been a real world crime, not an in-game crime.
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#33 - 2012-02-01 01:31:20 UTC
Quote:
THE HAGUE - The grabbing of a virtual amulet and mask in an online computer is stolen. Virtual assets have value because much time and effort has gone to collect the goods.
- Close approximation of the translation of the ruling, for your amusement.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Anya Ohaya
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#34 - 2012-02-01 01:33:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Anya Ohaya
Maybe they were prosecuted for robbery rather than theft.

Robbery and Theft are not quite the same thing. Robbery is taking something using force, violence, threats etc. The victim does not need to be the owner of the goods in question. If you mug a postman and steal the mail it's still considered robbery.

Edit:

From this article it seems they used a knife. They were lucky to get off with community service - in some jurisdictions aggravated robbery carries a life sentence.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#35 - 2012-02-01 02:31:30 UTC
Gawwwwd. What a BS thread. In the US this might kick up several of the charges to Felonies due to accessing systems outside of the state as a component of the crime, but aside from several obvious criminal charges the attackers in that article would face, that kid would be in a very actionable position for a litany of civil suits against them. (Read: the victim would make the attackers bleed money out of their a**es for life) You don't need a special law for that.

n-b-4 troll thread moved to OOPE...

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Caellach Marellus
Stormcrows
#36 - 2012-02-01 03:12:57 UTC
The property stolen isn't the reason for the charge here, it's the means used to procure it.

If the kid was held to ransom in game through game mechanics there's no issue.

This has now become my worst example of metagaming though, WoW's internet sabotage group from 2006 have finally been beaten.

When your gut instincts tell you something is wrong, trust them. When your heart tells you something is right, ignore it, check with your brain first. Accept nothing, challenge everything.

NaturalBeast
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2012-02-01 07:28:55 UTC
If we are talking about the MSNBC story, then its pretty obvious. This more about the way the items were obtained outside of game.

Quoted from the article: "It said he and another youth beat and kicked the boy and threatened him with a knife until he logged into "RuneScape" and dropped the objects in 2007."

Frankly I am a bit surprised the kid only got 144 hours of Community service for pulling a knife. Maybe the judge wasn't a fan of Runescape.
Samantha Utama
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2012-02-01 09:09:46 UTC
Finally, risk vs reward for hi-sec ganking has been fixed. Lol
fgft Athonille
Doomheim
#39 - 2012-02-01 12:55:20 UTC
being a handsome lawyer i can assure you that the violence that occured is the reason for the proceedings, not the ivrtual items
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2012-02-01 13:13:11 UTC
Not having read the article I'll guess that this is about increasing penalties for real world crimes without directly doing so. *shrugs*

Don't ban me, bro!