These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Bring Back Old Missile Names

Author
Snowflake Tem
The Order of Symbolic Measures
#21 - 2012-01-31 15:21:25 UTC
I can't help feeling that something of what makes the EVE universe a rich and interesting place has been lost by the streamlined naming convention.

They should as least add the original label string to the item description, if they are not doing so already.
Sephiroth Clone VII
Brothers of Tyr
Goonswarm Federation
#22 - 2012-01-31 15:47:02 UTC
scourge does have a better ring to it then trauma, what is this doctors online?

Having the same name for damage type makes things simpler, consistent. But that name should be cool, heavy missiles being the most commonly used with the popular scourge, scourge should be the name of kinetic.
Satchu Phaidon
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-02-04 14:09:28 UTC
I whole-heartedly agree. I mostly miss the sheer diversity of such interesting names. Take 'Gremlin' and 'Thorn' then compare those to 'Cataclysm' and 'Devastator'. The bigger missiles always sounded so powerful, and now that element has gone.

This change was unnecessary - CCP could surely have simply added a damage type suffix, if they wanted to simplify things.
Tracy Panavia
The Green Machine
That Escalated Quickly.
#24 - 2012-02-10 18:07:20 UTC
Bumping.

The trolls here have not formed a decent argument as to why the name change doesn't matter. It does.

Yous are all just trolling Twisted

The older names were pure win, not least because they gave Eve online a certain flavour that the current names are not capable of emulating. I for one will always associate the 'Paradise' class missile with the better days of Eve gone by. IMO CCP need help understanding just what is ********, and what isn't.
Tracy Panavia
The Green Machine
That Escalated Quickly.
#25 - 2012-02-10 18:08:46 UTC
zomg I can't even say r3t4rd3d anymore? Lol
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2012-02-10 19:44:05 UTC
Tracy Panavia wrote:

Yes...people get offended by the word because they are ignorant to it's meaning.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Agustice Arterius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-02-11 01:30:04 UTC
Well the new system is just fine, I really enjoyed the old system, having each missile type with its own name just added some fluff, something I sorta enjoyed

However, when ever I have to type Mjolnir to find my EM missiles, I get little mad
Smiling Menace
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-02-11 09:45:24 UTC
Is there any other type of missile except Scourge....ummm...I mean Trauma? Big smile

It's just a name and no real hassle to remember after awhile.

I am sure CCP have better things to fix than missile names.

Tracy Panavia
The Green Machine
That Escalated Quickly.
#29 - 2012-02-11 10:19:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tracy Panavia
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
Tracy Panavia wrote:

Yes...people get offended by the word because they are ignorant to it's meaning.

Yes this is true, because many people do not know the word can also be used to describe a decelerating motion or a slowing energy force (retardation) which is where ******** derives.
Jalmari Huitsikko
Avanto
Hole Control
#30 - 2012-02-11 10:44:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Jalmari Huitsikko
I want my scourge back

AND NOT ONLY THAT but I want my cold gas thrusters back too

I personally think this falls in same category with removal of ship hangar.
Ab'Synth
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2012-02-28 05:13:22 UTC
not supported. i like the new names
Blastfizzle
The Chosen 0nes
#32 - 2012-02-28 08:27:28 UTC
New names are better.
Benteen
Atra Mortis Industries
#33 - 2012-03-20 22:08:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Benteen
I want old names back... they added some coolness AND made life easier to tell someone what you wanted...

I could ask someone to find some "Bloodclaws" for me and they'd buy Kinetic light missiles...

Now I have to ask them for some "Trauma light missiles"... longer to type in and they might buy the wrong missile due to them all being Trauma missiles. I mean really... couldn't they just have added Kinetic light Missile to the "Bloodclaw" name? Or just "Bloodclaw" light Kinetic... we know it's a missile anyway, so the word missile in the name is kinda redundant.

Actually while i'm on a rant... Why did F.O.F's get to keep their names?
Xenophon Zateki
Doomheim
#34 - 2012-03-21 03:56:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Xenophon Zateki
Smiling Menace wrote:

I am sure CCP have better things to fix than missile names.

Then why did they change them in the first place?

The old names were effective and people are used to them. There is really no reason to change the names. And do you really think a newb uses the market search feature to find missiles? More than likely they will look in the browse feature to find missiles, and just find the properly colored one.
Tina Mori
Maniacal Miners INC
The Legends In The Game
#35 - 2012-03-26 22:21:45 UTC
Bring back the Juggernaut Torpedo, the old names were so much better
Aramis Rosicrux
Ordo Rosa Crux Templaris
#36 - 2012-03-26 22:37:56 UTC
I have been playing since 2004, and I was very comfortable with the old names. I was attracted to Eve because it was mind-numbingly complex. In 2004, playing Eve was like being invited to speak at a Mensa meeting, you knew you were the best of the best and you played THE elite game that others ran screaming from.

So yes, I miss the old names, and I shudder to think of the lesser classes getting into Eve. Dumbing-down Eve is a loss to every player who struggled, and succeeded at playing the best game in the world.

Now, any dumbass can pick it up in a few months! And no more learning skills? No more six-months of struggling to gain access to a ship worthy of a level four mission? Twisted

I still do not think there is any better game in the world than Eve, but the gap has been narrowed. Instead of being head and shoulders above the second-best game in the world, Eve is now but a few hairs best. How long will it be before Eve is passe?

Still playing, after all these years... Bear

Aramis Rosicrux

Support Space Science!! Join the Planetary Society!

planetarysociety.org

==============

About Aramis Rosicrux

My EveBoard Signature PNG

Tobiaz
Spacerats
#37 - 2012-03-27 16:04:26 UTC
Changing unique names into generic descriptions is NOT OK

It's not more discernible either since it's messy and too similar.

/me wants names back!

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Tobiaz
Spacerats
#38 - 2012-03-27 16:06:10 UTC
Anane wrote:
Also what is nice about the old names for example is if someone says Scourge, you know exactly the size of missile they are talking about. It makes it much easier to differentiate the different classes of missiles from one another.

QFT

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Previous page12