These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Please add "cap level" to the watch list....

First post
Author
Mioelnir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2012-01-19 01:41:05 UTC
It is also very very unlikely that the cap status movie that the client displays with constant updates every few seconds is available in that form on the server, since it would be horribly inefficient.
It is more likely that a ship's cap is - serverside - only recalculated/updated whenever the ship actually uses cap, which then in turn acts as a synchronization point for the client movie.

William Loire
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#42 - 2012-01-19 01:49:02 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:

you don't know what you're talking about

I like you.
GunslingerBob
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#43 - 2012-01-19 01:59:26 UTC
Or, pilots could broadcast for cap when they need it and you could cap them up.

If you keep adding all these little things to try to "improve" the game, you end up taking away some of the key elements. If you want to stay alive, it isn't the Logistics pilot's responsibility, it's yours. Proper broadcasting is something all fleet members should be taught, allowing the Logistics pilots to react accordingly.

Then again, when you warp a fleet of Maelstroms to 0, I guess you don't need to worry too much about Logistics now do you?
TuonelanOrja
Doomheim
#44 - 2012-01-19 11:11:34 UTC
this

Not a veteran, just bitter..

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2012-01-19 11:29:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
CCP Punkturis wrote:
Aamrr wrote:
If we spell it right, will you work on it? Pretty please?
...please?

It's not a project for a UI programmer, sorry Cry

Wait, how is that not a User Interface issue?

I understand UI to be the way in which a player navigates the games system and the way the game conveys information to the player... Am i wrong?
Siiee
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#46 - 2012-01-19 11:33:36 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:

you don't know what you're talking about

<3
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2012-01-19 11:34:33 UTC
ccp punkturis best dev !
Krissada
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#48 - 2012-01-19 11:56:53 UTC
Famble wrote:

Fair enough and exactly what I suspected would be the difficulty. I guess I assumed that whatever object was retrieved in code that showed the guys shield would also contain more properties like, well cap and other things. Forgive me I don't know python I just assume object oriented is part of the deal.

More independant calls to the db are bad news for fleet fights so... actually ill stop since I don't know your code and i don't want to put you in a no win position. Keep up the good work, I mean that. My eyes like what you do.

Dev1 - "Ya, let's definitely call upon capacitor information and send it to the client for all 200 ships on the grid without even using that information to anything useful besides maybe taking some memory and internet bandwidth."

Dev2 - "But why?"

Dev1 - "I dunno lag EVE and laugh at people crying about lag?"

You sir, are ********.

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2012-01-19 12:05:36 UTC
sending information to bazillions of people is not a problem

calculating said information and refining it in a way that it can be send MIGHT be a problem (mostly due to the fact that the information might be calculated in a different way or at a different place than the information that is send right now)

also recieving loads of information and filtering/displaying only the important ones can be a problem
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2012-01-19 12:17:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
^^ Since when can you have 200 ships on your watch list?

I'm no programmer but the ship scanner can already view another persons cap level so could that code be adapted so that when you add someone to watchlist, you are effectively using this part of the ship scanner code?
CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#51 - 2012-01-19 12:20:59 UTC
Moved from "EVE General Discussion".

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#52 - 2012-01-19 12:32:49 UTC
JamesCLK wrote:
@ Renan above;
Broadcasts aren't just UI. The button you press certainly is a UI element, but the actual actions that this button performs require work outside the UI team if I'm not mistaken. Team UI is all about user-freindly, eye-gasmic, functional interfaces, and less about how the actions you order through the interface are executed (beyond opening other UI elements perhaps).

And if we were to choose between a capacitor bar and a broadcast for the same dev time, I'd pick the capacitor bar.

Yes, i got that part alright. And i agree.

However its been said that doing the cap bar is harder than it might seem. Its new information for the server to handle.

The broadcast option would be an aid while we can't have the bar.

I might not know what i'm talking about, but considering that the code for broadcasts is already firmly in place one would only need to duplicate it entirely and change three things: Text (from Need whatever to Capacitor is Full), hotkey (it would need its unique hotkey entry) and the icon (could be a full battery).

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

JamesCLK
#53 - 2012-01-19 14:46:58 UTC
Renan Ruivo wrote:

Yes, i got that part alright. And i agree.

However its been said that doing the cap bar is harder than it might seem. Its new information for the server to handle.

The broadcast option would be an aid while we can't have the bar.

I might not know what i'm talking about, but considering that the code for broadcasts is already firmly in place one would only need to duplicate it entirely and change three things: Text (from Need whatever to Capacitor is Full), hotkey (it would need its unique hotkey entry) and the icon (could be a full battery).

The data for displaying other peoples capacitor levels already exists if I'm not mistaken; you can get such a readout from another player by using a ship scanner on them - although it is only a snapshot. In fact, some logistics pilots fit ship scanners for exactly this purpose. I can see how you'd have to do some changes to the code, but if there is already a function that calls the capacitor level of another ship, writing a couple of snippets to give you a readout into a UI capacitor bar doesn't seem too far fetched.

In my honest opinion, this kind of data should only be displayed to your fleet watchlist - and possibly your fleet; but never anyone who happens to lock you (and vice versa), I'm sure you can guess why (if you NEED a readout on the hostile target, you fit a ship scanner, it's that simple).

Again, I could be wrong P

-- -.-- / -.-. .-.. --- -. . / .. ... / - --- --- / . -..- .--. . -. ... .. ...- . / - --- / ..- -. -.. --- -.-. -.- / ... - --- .--. / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / ... . -. -.. / .... . .-.. .--. / ... - --- .--.

Sashi Serakhoi
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2012-01-19 16:33:54 UTC
+1

Can see no reason it shouldn't be on the watch list.
DurrHurrDurr
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#55 - 2012-01-22 15:54:08 UTC
Not much point in knowing your fleet's capacitors when you warp all your Maelstroms to 0 anyway.
Previous page123