These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ideas for new modules

First post
Author
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
P I R A T
#261 - 2012-01-17 16:24:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Nestara Aldent wrote:
DoTs and HoTs are a bad idea, because they can't be explained from fiction point of view. BTW even if you can explain these effects in a particular setting, they're just a gimmick.

The more I think about it, the more I have to agree. Not worried about the fiction, but I think this is an MMO mechanic that doesn't fit well in the EvE universe.

Just talking from experience, in intense fights, logistics pilots struggle to keep up with broadcasts and modules, trying to keep people alive, lock targets, unlock targets and get repairs to their friends in time. Asking them to do even more, if additional things are on the field (such as mines and deployable items), as well as their range and cap pairing, ECM jams, being cap drained, broadcasting themselves and watching if they are being locked up, etc... I think it is to much information and to much.

So, I'm going to say no on DoT's on EvE. I'd rather see something more tactical, than something that causes information overload - which is exactly what DoT's will do.

"The game is mostly played by men - 97%. But 40% of them play as women... so thats fine."  - CCP t0rfifrans 

Iris Bravemount
Golden Grinding Gears
#262 - 2012-01-17 16:39:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Iris Bravemount
Moonaura wrote:
Nestara Aldent wrote:
DoTs and HoTs are a bad idea, because they can't be explained from fiction point of view. BTW even if you can explain these effects in a particular setting, they're just a gimmick.

The more I think about it, the more I have to agree. Not worried about the fiction, but I think this is an MMO mechanic that doesn't fit well in the EvE universe.

Just talking from experience, in intense fights, logistics pilots struggle to keep up with broadcasts and modules, trying to keep people alive, lock targets, unlock targets and get repairs to their friends in time. Asking them to do even more, if additional things are on the field (such as mines and deployable items), as well as their range and cap pairing, ECM jams, being cap drained, broadcasting themselves and watching if they are being locked up, etc... I think it is to much information and to much.

So, I'm going to say no on DoT's on EvE. I'd rather see something more tactical, than something that causes information overload - which is exactly what DoT's will do.

Adding a logi frigate based on the t1 mining frigate hull and buffing t1 logis all around could fix this problem by allowing more players to fly logis. The current logi options (t2 cruiser or carrier) are both too heavy on skill requirements.

Edit : Oh, and I forgot t3 cruisers set up for remote repairs, but I don't even know if people use those.

"I will not hesitate when the test of Faith finds me, for only the strongest conviction will open the gates of paradise. My Faith in you is absolute; my sword is Yours, My God, and Your will guides me now and for all eternity." - Paladin's Creed

Il Feytid
State War Academy
Caldari State
#263 - 2012-01-17 16:39:24 UTC
Encasing Mineral Cannon

This wonderful weapon can only be equipped on mining mining barges and haulers would allow the pilot to spray minerals they have in their cargo hold onto the enemy ship and eventually encase it in an asteroid . The only way to be free of such a tomb would be if a friend was to mine you out of it. Self-destruct would also be disabled. Big smile
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
P I R A T
#264 - 2012-01-17 16:42:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Moonaura
Iris Bravemount wrote:
Moonaura wrote:
Nestara Aldent wrote:

Adding a logi frigate based on the t1 mining frigate hull and buffing t1 logis all around could fix this problem by allowing more players to fly logis. The current logi options (t2 cruiser or carrier) are both too heavy on skill requirements.

If any kind of DoT is added to the game, I'd like to see if e-War frigate only that can apply them, and only a frigate class like you suggested to remove them. Making them both vulnerable, and advantageous in equal measure.

I would be more interested in something that could cause heat damage to modules, and be countered with a cooling module fitted or coolant 'gel' similar to nanite paste, but used to keep a ship cool, with the frigates as counters as an additional item, rather than something that blows a ship up, i.e. traditional DPS, it is more about a tactic that can help disable a ship, and be countered with repair mechanics and new modules and support frigate.

As stated, logistics role is already a busy one, far busier than DPS... ahhh what a happy bliss free life DPS pilots have, all they have to do is shoot and die, hopefully more of the former :)

"The game is mostly played by men - 97%. But 40% of them play as women... so thats fine."  - CCP t0rfifrans 

Junglistbeast
Perkone
Caldari State
#265 - 2012-01-17 16:48:09 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Encasing Mineral Cannon

This wonderful weapon can only be equipped on mining mining barges and haulers would allow the pilot to spray minerals they have in their cargo hold onto the enemy ship and eventually encase it in an asteroid . The only way to be free of such a tomb would be if a friend was to mine you out of it. Self-destruct would also be disabled. Big smile

Pirate Might actually give me a reason to fly indy if they brought this out! Blink
Temuken Radzu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#266 - 2012-01-17 16:54:23 UTC
I would like to see a entirely new weapons system, something like this

New weapon: Focus Cannons
Basically the idea is that those cannons can be manualy charged, then fired at the target for increased damage. The longer it charges, the higher the damage. But at the same time, the longer it is charged the tracking goes down fast, limiting one shot frigate kills with a maximized charged Focus Cannon...

The weapon is itself splitted in two separate modules: One of course is the cannon, the other is the charge holder. If the charge maximun is reached, the weapon must fire before it can be charged again.
The more cannons, the more shots can be fired at the cost of less damage from each of those cannons because the charge have to be splitted between the cannons
The more Charge holders, the faster the weapon charges and the more destructive the cannon is.

Both the Cannon and the charge module are Highslot modules so you have to choose how you will fit your ship.
If you want faster shots, use more weapons and and less charge modules.
If you want a immensly powerfull shot to obliberate your targets use more charge modules and less cannons.
Strata Maslav
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#267 - 2012-01-17 16:55:46 UTC
Moonaura wrote:

To be honest I chose DOTs over alpha any day. With DOTs you are able to repair the ship affected and even if damage is greater then your repairs the ship will stay up longer then an instant alpha of the ship dying instantly. If you want to look at the way Eve works currently fast firing guns are actually channeled DOTs on the target.
The opposite of a DOT is an instant attack, imagine turning your guns on firing once and then having to wait a cooldown to fire again, this would be concidered a normal attack.

I personally am in favor of a weapon that either stacks up on ship increasing its exponential damage (easier to repair then alpha) or a module that has a longer duration of sustained damage then its cycle time.

The non-stackable DOT actually requires the aggressor to fly with more skill as leaving the DOT module turned on would eat cap unnecessarily without adding any additional damage similar to using a repairer when it will over repair your ship. The pilot would have to watch the DOT and make sure to apply it every time it dropped off the ship.

I like this approach more then the simple 'turn on and forget' system that all standard weapons in EVE have as it allows the pilot more room to fly his/her ship better then the next pilot and is therefore a more rewarding experience flying overall.

A single module could be designed to accommodate both types of DOT in theory with a non-stackable DOT being the standard and overheating the module stacking the DOT to certain amount for increased damage.

A DOT is the only way that can make a pilot manually control an offensive module as leaving any instant damage module will always net more damage then turning it off and on between volleys.
Iris Bravemount
Golden Grinding Gears
#268 - 2012-01-17 17:15:00 UTC
Strata Maslav wrote:

To be honest I chose DOTs over alpha any day. With DOTs you are able to repair the ship affected and even if damage is greater then your repairs the ship will stay up longer then an instant alpha of the ship dying instantly. If you want to look at the way Eve works currently fast firing guns are actually channeled DOTs on the target.
The opposite of a DOT is an instant attack, imagine turning your guns on firing once and then having to wait a cooldown to fire again, this would be concidered a normal attack.

I personally am in favor of a weapon that either stacks up on ship increasing its exponential damage (easier to repair then alpha) or a module that has a longer duration of sustained damage then its cycle time.

The non-stackable DOT actually requires the aggressor to fly with more skill as leaving the DOT module turned on would eat cap unnecessarily without adding any additional damage similar to using a repairer when it will over repair your ship. The pilot would have to watch the DOT and make sure to apply it every time it dropped off the ship.

I like this approach more then the simple 'turn on and forget' system that all standard weapons in EVE have as it allows the pilot more room to fly his/her ship better then the next pilot and is therefore a more rewarding experience flying overall.

A single module could be designed to accommodate both types of DOT in theory with a non-stackable DOT being the standard and overheating the module stacking the DOT to certain amount for increased damage.

A DOT is the only way that can make a pilot manually control an offensive module as leaving any instant damage module will always net more damage then turning it off and on between volleys.

Agreed for DoT vs Alpha.

However, current standard weapon behaviour is not a DoT. It's a channeled effect. Look at my suggestions for Blasters (on page 12 or 13 of this thread). This would give a new way of piloting blasterboats. Come in fast on ships with very low or no more shield, leave your plama on them and get the hell out of there, because the reload time is too long to be worth staying close all the time.

Same thing for my pulse laser variant vs shields.

"I will not hesitate when the test of Faith finds me, for only the strongest conviction will open the gates of paradise. My Faith in you is absolute; my sword is Yours, My God, and Your will guides me now and for all eternity." - Paladin's Creed

Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
P I R A T
#269 - 2012-01-17 17:34:02 UTC
But the point of DoT's is they can be applied to many ships at once, typically instantly, with a small cool down... it's not a single target mechanic in other MMO's, so this is a massive difference from say, fast firing guns.

Infinion
Awesome Corp
#270 - 2012-01-17 17:44:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinion
I wonder if AOE logistic frigates would be a good idea as a counter-tactic against DoT
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#271 - 2012-01-17 17:47:00 UTC
DoTs and HoTs are easily explainable in a science fiction setting unfourutnately I am a bit more worried about applications and what fors then verses the traditional means of doing business.

One set of things I already suggested was more of a damage it now and watch it die later if it tries or does escape.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Clementina
Coreli Corporation
#272 - 2012-01-17 17:54:58 UTC
Some additions

* Script for a Cloaking Device 'Ansible Silence'.

When placed into a cloaking device and when the cloaking device is activated, the person using the cloaking device disappears from local.

* A Firearm that targets missiles 'Chaff Dispenser' (Alternately a small crystal, bullet, and or charge that can fit into an existing gun)

Does what it says on the tin, except requires a turret slot.
Also this new module and defender missiles should target any missile coming towards the gang, not just the ship. and the modules on every ship in the gang should cooperate to avoid overkill.

* Drone Boxes

Add more drone space to starships. High slot, takes as much CPU and grid as a missile launcher (standard missile launcher for the frigate sized one, Heavy missile launcher for the cruiser sized one, and cruise missile launcher for the battleship sized one) Gives 5,10,and 25 extra drone space.

* Modules that decrease signature radius.

Some changes.

Faction guns should be able to use Tech 2 Ammo.
Remote Repair drones should be able to be set to assist someone else.
ECCM modules should have some other benefit.
Fix Tech 2 Armor Plates.

Ships (I know you didn't specifically ask, but since some people are talking about them)

A Sensor Dampening Gallente Battleship (To complement the ECM Caldari Battleship)
Tech 3 Destroyers, which modules similar to the Tech 3 cruisers, including the warfare processor one.
Moonaura
The Dead Rabbit Society
P I R A T
#273 - 2012-01-17 17:59:50 UTC
Noise module, that black ops ships can use to cause local to appear scrambled for two minutes, with ten minute cool down. 0.0 only module.

Strata Maslav
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#274 - 2012-01-17 18:12:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Strata Maslav
Moonaura wrote:
But the point of DoT's is they can be applied to many ships at once, typically instantly, with a small cool down... it's not a single target mechanic in other MMO's, so this is a massive difference from say, fast firing guns.

In my view the DOT is a DPS ability on a cooldown. If can manage you cooldown effectively you will output more damage. If you panic in a fight and don't think straight you will find that you are doing less effective dps.

By adding cooldowns you give the great chance for a pilot to use his skill to win a battle.

If you are worried about spamming DOTs on all enemies all you need to is affect the cooldown (cycle time) of the module. If the module puts a 10 second DOT on the target and has a 5 second cycle time you can only have 2 DOTs running at a time.

If you are less skilled or by accident leave your module running on the target you will drain you cap twice as fast for the same amount of DPS. If you forget to reactive the module after 10 seconds has passed then you will lose dps.

This sort of system is already in place with defensive repairs. If you leave local or remote repairs running whilst on full armor or shields you will waste your capacitor which you may need to for repairing yourself later.
Fracture Antollare
TEMPCO CORP
#275 - 2012-01-17 18:14:34 UTC
Since drones need work, I'll start there:

-Ability to overheat Drones

-Drone hardwiring options

-Drone lowslot module to increase damage (gyro/magstab/heatsink equivalent).

-Drone rig damage increases (other than sentries)

-Drone active midslot module for speed increase (% MWD speed increase)

-Drone midslot/lowslot module to share your ship's shield/armor resists.

-Lowslot Drone repair bay that regenerates drone armor/hull while in the drone bay.
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#276 - 2012-01-17 18:30:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
Did Nova Fox finally run out of ideas; or did he just get banned. My guess: He's asleep.

Some of those ideas were good, as were some others from others; most I thought were random, and somewhat lacking in detail and thought, while being either over-powered or just plain wierd. Some other ideas fall into that category too. Mostly, I felt like I was being spammed.

To the point:

Ideas I've seen on the forums and think were potentially good if modified to suit EVEs mechanics and balanced to fit within the game: (I've taken the liberty of restricting them to what I think would be appropriate)

New Probe: Detects the presense of cloaked vessels within a max. radius of 0.5 AU. Does not have the ability to decloak, but can provide a bookmark on grid of that cloaked vessel. Bookmark range is 0.1 AU, while BM creation requires a min. of 5 probes and max SP in probing skills. Even redundant ones.

New Electronics Module: Masks the ship type from long range sensors. Ship will show up on Directional scan as a different ship type. Combat probes will reveal the true nature of the ship with good skills. Could be script based, with new scripts for various ship types.

New Weapon Upgrades Module: Functions like the Dreadnought Siege module, but for Battle Ships. Usable in Highsec. Intended for POS warfare. This module gives <100% bonus to damage, while having similar, but reduced, penalties of a Siege Warfare module. Stacking penalties should probably apply normally.

New EWAR Module: Requires fuel in the form of Liquid Oxygen, Isotopes, or Heavy Water. Can be used to combat Warp disruption effects to allow ships to escape gatecamps, blockades, and the like. One cycle lasts maybe ~3 seconds, so ship must be aligned to warp at velocity, before activating. Cycle time may be dependent on skills, with 1 second per Skill level being an example.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#277 - 2012-01-17 19:08:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
New ECM Module: Decreases effectiveness of scanning probes used to find the ship. Currently ECCM is being used for this, but that is really a broken feature imo. ECCM being Counter-Counter Measures; where probes are not a counter measure; but rather a direct method of detecting ships.

Effectively the same function, but remove this effect from ECCM modules, and repurpose them back to countering ECM as they were originally intended. ECM should be fixed too.

New Ammo: Possible variant damage types on missiles and hybrids. Missiles could have combined damage types, and hybrids could have a variant damage type. i.e: Kinetic/Thermal missiles and Thermal/Explosive Hybrids.

Tech 3 Turrets and Launchers: New skills required above the requirements for Tech 2. Gives more skills to train in these areas. Modular in nature, with the primary turret or laucher being modified based on the subsystems applied. Subs could exist for ROF, Cycle Duration, Explosion Radius or Velocity, Tracking, etc...

Basically, a breakdown of the current turret and launcher systems that allows players to make more specialized versions without necessarily an increase in average DPS.

New Electronics Module: Signature radius reduction. Skill dependent decrease in signature radius on ships to which it is fit. Mid or Low Slot Low-Slot module, (Like Tracking Enhancers and Tracking Computers), to benefit both Armor and Shield set-ups without significantly benefiting one over the other.

Armor set-ups will benefit from reducing their already low Signature radius, and reducing the Sig Bloom of Target painters and MWDs; where shield set-ups will benefit from a reduction to the Signature penalty of Shield Extenders for buffer, and the effect of MWDs and Target Painters.

Added edit:

Tech 3 Drones: More training and skills in drones. One for each faction and modular like other Tech 3. Optional Subs include Damage, Speed, Mass and Durability, EWAR, etc...

Add's some complication and cost to high-end drones, but could be cool. Maybe 3 Sub slots, with 2 Subs per slot available.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Winterorb
The Littlest Hobos
#278 - 2012-01-17 19:15:19 UTC
Fracture Antollare wrote:
Since drones need work, I'll start there:

-Ability to overheat Drones

-Drone hardwiring options

-Drone lowslot module to increase damage (gyro/magstab/heatsink equivalent).

-Drone rig damage increases (other than sentries)

-Drone active midslot module for speed increase (% MWD speed increase)

-Drone midslot/lowslot module to share your ship's shield/armor resists.

-Lowslot Drone repair bay that regenerates drone armor/hull while in the drone bay.

Drone damage mod should be mid slot, like like the omni tracking

Medium and small sentry drones would be nice

Medium and small web drones

Remove drone control range from sentries

make passive armor resists modules a bit better so gallente can work around the PG and CPU issues

add utility slot on dominix and myrmidon to while you are at it ;)
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#279 - 2012-01-17 19:31:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
New Module: Super-Tank Module. This is just a fun idea I came up with. Can be used on Exhumer's and Orcas. Maybe Rorquals and standard mining barges. Low Slot item.

When activated: Applies a penalty to Max. Capacitor, and reduces Max. Velocity and Agility; while increasing all resistances, and Max. Shields.

You can still mine with this thing on. Warp, Tractoring, Mining and other activities are perfectly feasible, provided you still have enough capacitor and capacitor regeneration to do so; given the module will use a certain amount of capacitor per cycle it remains active, in addition to reducing your max. Capacitor available.

Obviously, you can still be Neuted.

Side note: Seems to be me that's popping in post after post now. Not that it's a bad thing. Actually isn't so much the content, as seeing the same face pop up every second, third, or fourth post.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#280 - 2012-01-17 19:41:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
This idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=58639&find=unread

..but make it damaging so it still triggers agression. Cycle time of ~20 seconds at base skill; very low EM damage ~9 points; AOE limited to 15km radius and skill based. High slot item.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub