These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Weapon Sound Effects

Author
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#21 - 2012-01-23 11:08:47 UTC
Iris Bravemount wrote:

The CSM minutes told about some secret changes which amazed the CSM, but nothing specific.

NDA is a *****, isn't it?

All I got out of it is that the Reaper looks amazing, and that's enough for me.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Paintchk
Facepunch Industries
#22 - 2012-01-23 13:17:35 UTC
I agree that sound effects should be improved in the game. It be real great.(Though it sounded like that the guns in the vids I would laugh lol)

I would love to hear the sound of a Capital Projectile Arty go off. haha
Jahned
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2012-01-28 02:15:14 UTC
I have to agree, for starters, the Mega Pulse sounds like an unmitigated disaster at a radio broadcast center, while the railguns sound simply anemic. There is practically no oomph or feeling of dominance when using them (though that may be because there is no dominance associated with rails What?). The lasers, I really cant say much. The autocannons sound beefy, but not sharp enough, and blasters sound too sharp, but not beefy enough, though it does convey the sense of facemelting damage quite well.

Missiles are meh really, they all sound the same Straight.

Btw, if the sounds do get a lot more realistic, then I really dont want to ever fire or be near firing Siege arty, ever.
Iris Bravemount
Golden Grinding Gears
#24 - 2012-01-28 11:50:17 UTC
Jahned wrote:
Btw, if the sounds do get a lot more realistic, then I really dont want to ever fire or be near firing Siege arty, ever.

Psychological warfare Twisted

"I will not hesitate when the test of Faith finds me, for only the strongest conviction will open the gates of paradise. My Faith in you is absolute; my sword is Yours, My God, and Your will guides me now and for all eternity." - Paladin's Creed

Master Ventris
Rogue Pioneers
#25 - 2012-01-28 16:51:41 UTC
Paintchk wrote:
I would love to hear the sound of a Capital Projectile Arty go off. haha

How about if you are too close its the start of an ear splitting bang, but then the ringing sound of shell shock that blanks out all other sound for a few seconds. I would have to find Naglfars to orbit just because of how awesome that would be.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2012-01-28 18:30:34 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
You're not hearing the gun, you're hearing the echo of it through the hull, further muffled by the goo in your pod.

Nope, that's not it, or you wouldn't hear other ships firing at each other. All sounds for a pod pilot are completely simulated by their camera drone interface, as it was discovered capsuleers keep their sanity better when space is not dead silent. I couldn't find the source saying that, but I did find a story detailing this: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Jovian_Wetgrave

Commander Charles Tucker wrote:
What is the most important part of the ship?
The weapons?
The engines?
It's the crew. And the last thing you want your Captain to be thinking in an emergency situation is 'Damn. I wish this chair wasn't such a pain in the ass.'

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Iris Bravemount
Golden Grinding Gears
#27 - 2012-01-28 19:29:10 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
You're not hearing the gun, you're hearing the echo of it through the hull, further muffled by the goo in your pod.

Nope, that's not it, or you wouldn't hear other ships firing at each other. All sounds for a pod pilot are completely simulated by their camera drone interface, as it was discovered capsuleers keep their sanity better when space is not dead silent. I couldn't find the source saying that, but I did find a story detailing this: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Jovian_Wetgrave

The weapons?
The engines?
It's the crew. And the last thing you want your Captain to be thinking in an emergency situation is 'Damn. I wish this chair wasn't such a pain in the ass.'

There are regular ships in the background, yes. But players are capsuleers, who are not in some chair on the bridge, but floating in goo in their POD.

I know it's a shame, RP wise, but that's how it works. Regular captains die with their ships, so I'd rather stay in my goo.

"I will not hesitate when the test of Faith finds me, for only the strongest conviction will open the gates of paradise. My Faith in you is absolute; my sword is Yours, My God, and Your will guides me now and for all eternity." - Paladin's Creed

Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2012-01-28 19:46:16 UTC
Iris Bravemount wrote:
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

The weapons?
The engines?

There are regular ships in the background, yes. But players are capsuleers, who are not in some chair on the bridge, but floating in goo in their POD.

I know it's a shame, RP wise, but that's how it works. Regular captains die with their ships, so I'd rather stay in my goo.

I was quoting Star Trek.

Iris Bravemount
Golden Grinding Gears
#29 - 2012-01-29 11:41:15 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
I was quoting Star Trek.

Oops

Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#30 - 2012-01-29 12:37:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Galphii
Yeah a lot of the weapons sounds are very weak; the artillery sound like they were done on a 16 bit computer in the '90s. The 220mm AC (tech 2) guns used to sound wicked, but they made all the other weapons sound like crap by comparison so they removed them P The drones are awful too, they spam out their terrible effects at volumes that are almost inconceivable given the size of their guns.

In all the devblogs they did running up to Crucible, I never once heard mention of fixing the sounds, which is something that wouldn't take staff away from other areas of the game. Some of us do play with the sound on, you know CCP, so how about better effects hmm? It would help with immersion, something you've been going on about for some time now! The sound system in general is pretty weak, as it doesn't handle large quantities of sound effects in fleets etc, give it an overhaul.

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Lord Wamphyri
Starside Lost
#31 - 2012-02-11 21:11:38 UTC
I want this for laser sound effects! Big smile

[IMG]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/ChrisW73/WampsigFinal.jpg[/IMG]

Lyrrashae
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2012-02-13 21:45:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Lyrrashae
The Dual 180mm II (and now tech I versions) are some of the best sounding guns in the game, along with medium-ship size arty, but...the other proj-guns: Weak, especially the other medium size ACs.

Large ACs: Not bad, but needs more "oomph"
Large Arty: Weak. Just weak.

Medium pulse-lasers: Awful. Just incredibly grating.
Medium beam-lasers: The larger ones are good, the smallest are lame.

Small and medium rails: Ugh, and a little less ugh, respectively.
Large rails: Used to make a cool, deep, thunder-clap "Bang," but it's been weakened again since Crucible.

Blasters, all sizes: Lame. Just lame, and size-large the lamest of all.

Missile-launchers: I wuvs me mah missulz, but why do their launchers all sound exactly the same? (The small- and large-size missile explosion sounds and effects are just...well, unfinished, seemingly, compared to the medium heavy-missiles--it's like that latter is the only one they put any effort and time into, wtf?)

I have noticed over the last few patches, and especially since Crucible, that gun sounds in general got a bit...well, weaker? Is it just me?

Ni.

Kellen Shimaya
#33 - 2012-02-25 07:28:08 UTC
eve has sound?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2012-02-25 07:58:00 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Honestly I can't play EVE without sound. It gets disorienting.

But anyway, I definitely agree that the weapons sounds could use some work.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#35 - 2012-02-25 10:49:33 UTC
Better sounds would be excellent. Improved weapon sounds are a must (same with the effects really, god), and turrets making noises as they pop out and track in would be fantastic.

Yeah, eve needs new sound effects, a new sound engine, and new graphical effects to complement the shiny new turrets.
shadowace00007
Mecha Enterprises Fleet
Federation Uprising
#36 - 2012-02-25 11:00:00 UTC
I think this is a good idea. One thing I would like to add tho. Is that guns should have more then one sound. Say around 200 different sounds that are randomly picked. Would make it seem more realistic.

Also just a note a rail gun makes no sounds. The sounds you hear in that video is the Sabot round breaking the speed of sound. and it hitting the target. the gun itself makes no sound. So it would need some sort of new sound.

Born Amarrian Raised Minmatar.

Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2012-02-25 12:17:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Amaroq Dricaldari
shadowace00007 wrote:
I think this is a good idea. One thing I would like to add tho. Is that guns should have more then one sound. Say around 200 different sounds that are randomly picked. Would make it seem more realistic.

Also just a note a rail gun makes no sounds. The sounds you hear in that video is the Sabot round breaking the speed of sound. and it hitting the target. the gun itself makes no sound. So it would need some sort of new sound.

They are very big railguns, and thus they need huge Electromagnets. Large Electromagnets make a loud humming noise.

As for your idea on multiple sounds, I think 200 is a little overkill. To save space, CCP would have to make them all MP3s.

shadowace00007
Mecha Enterprises Fleet
Federation Uprising
#38 - 2012-02-25 12:31:01 UTC
Amaroq Dricaldari wrote:
shadowace00007 wrote:

They are very big railguns, and thus they need huge Electromagnets. Large Electromagnets make a loud humming noise.

As for your idea on multiple sounds, I think 200 is a little overkill. To save space, CCP would have to make them all MP3s.

There was an extra 0 in there it should have said 20 LOL

Born Amarrian Raised Minmatar.

Iris Bravemount
Golden Grinding Gears
#39 - 2012-02-26 22:51:49 UTC
Thank you for your input guys.

BTW, I watched Transformers 2 a bit earlier. They have a nice railgun in there...

PS : Sorry, didn't find a video without the WTF...

m3talc0re X
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-02-27 01:10:25 UTC
I made a thread about this a year or so ago, didn't get much feedback though. I posted this video in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whLbGbpt-E4

Now imagine THAT sound, sped up and shortened a bit to match and sync up with the effects for a beam laser. Like a Tachyon firing for instance. That's what the beams should sound like imo. And yes, the guns need more f'ing bass. I can turn my sub all the way up and it barely does anything with eve's sound.

And again, I love that damn laser sound... I wish so bad that my tach's sound like that firing :(
Previous page123Next page