These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Submarine sim ?

Author
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-01-11 23:53:53 UTC
Would be interesting if engagements actually took place with opposing fleets light minutes apart, where even lasers travelling at the speed of light would take minutes to arrive at their target. You'd have to actually calculate where your target will be in space in the next few minutes and this gives them time to maneuver to mess up your calculations. Then there would be a technological breakthrough involving stealthed drones closing in on the enemy fleet and communicating the updated ship locations and vectors by FTL gravity pulses ... oh wait, that's the Honor Harrington universe :P
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Aurelius Valentius
Valentius Corporation
#42 - 2012-01-11 23:56:06 UTC
Adonlude wrote:
Arethanerielle Xhiril wrote:
so, imagine, two ships approaching each other with thousands of kilometers per second: any projectile fired on each other would result in an absolute brutal-*******-overkill due to the absurd amounts of kinetic energy released. Thus, we wouldn't have or lovely drawn out slugfests we like so much.

So yeah, underwater naval warfare it is.

In that scenerio Amarr weapons would suck since lasers always move at the speed of light no matter how fast the source is moving.

Its funny that possibly the very first space ship video game, Asteriods, got the physics right and EvE did not.

Pew, Pew, Pew... Veldspar!!!!.... pew pew pew.... *computer garble*.... Game Over... hehe.

I agree we are doing some odd things in "space" but pay no mind to "purist" thought, EVE is Fluidic Space, the region we are in is a "cluster" of stars inside a "big fluidic matter cloud" and it has a natural boyancy and a relativistic plain of settle due to the gravity wells induced by the matter in regard to... *cough cough*... ok, find it's submarines.... Arrrugggaaaa... Arrruuggaaa... Dive dive dive!!!

Blink
Jenshae Chiroptera
#43 - 2012-01-12 03:43:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
Aurelius Valentius wrote:

I agree we are doing some odd things in "space" but pay no mind to "purist" thought, EVE is Fluidic Space, the region we are in is a "cluster" of stars inside a "big fluidic matter cloud" and it has a natural boyancy and a relativistic plain of settle due to the gravity wells induced by the matter in regard to... *cough cough*... ok, find it's submarines.... Arrrugggaaaa... Arrruuggaaa... Dive dive dive!!!

Blink

The worm hole from Earth's galazy happened to take a swing through Star Trek Voyager's sector D to pass into Fluidic Space? We better watch out for Species 8472! Lol
Arethanerielle Xhiril wrote:
in the frictionless vauum of real space, there is no upper speed limit an accelerating object would reach (besides obviously the lightspeed-barrier). A ship running it's thrusters or any other propulsion system would simply keep accelerating unitl it's fuel runs out (or until it reaches relativistic speed).

so, imagine, two ships approaching each other with thousands of kilometers per second: any projectile fired on each other would result in an absolute brutal-*******-overkill due to the absurd amounts of kinetic energy released. Thus, we wouldn't have or lovely drawn out slugfests we like so much.

So yeah, underwater naval warfare it is.

If it hit.
Computers could probably detect it and alter cause slightly changing the vector quite dramatically. You should see the documentary about them making an impact on a comet to study it, took freaking ages and two attempts to get it right and that comet was moving in a predictable orbit at a known speed.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2012-01-12 04:17:34 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Professor Alphane wrote:
Why do people so often refer to EVE as a submarine sim ?

liquid space physics.

Maybe the Higgs field is very very dense in this area of space. :)
Dersk
Perkone
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-01-12 04:26:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersk
Adonlude wrote:
In that scenerio Amarr weapons would suck since lasers always move at the speed of light no matter how fast the source is moving.

If Duck Dogers of the 24th and a half century travels half the speed of light one direction, and a three legged chicken travels half the speed of light in the opposite direction, then the chicken is immune to lasers.

Edit: This is me mocking the attempts and interpreting special relativity in this thread... but I forgot I was posting on the EvE forums. So, yes, it's a joke.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#46 - 2012-01-12 11:23:12 UTC
I thought the fluff said it was down to the warp cores causing the drag?

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Rel'k Bloodlor
Federation Front Line Report
Federation Front Line
#47 - 2012-01-12 11:46:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Rel'k Bloodlor
One thing is certain this is Si-Fi so it probably has little to do with wizards or magic.

Tho I wouldn't rule dragons out yet..........

May be if we pray and make sacrifices to the great water being Cthulhu, R'lyeh's foul fluid like influence will subside.

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

St Mio
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#48 - 2012-01-12 12:08:14 UTC
Rel'k Bloodlor wrote:
One thing is certain this is Si-Fi so it probably has little to do with wizards or magic.

May be if we pray and make sacrifices to the great water being Cthulhu, R'lyeh's foul fluid like influence will subside.

Abdul Alhazred, is that you?!
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-01-12 12:10:07 UTC
Rel'k Bloodlor wrote:

we have rogue drones.. thats probably closest we can get to dragons. Big smile
Rel'k Bloodlor
Federation Front Line Report
Federation Front Line
#50 - 2012-01-12 12:19:15 UTC
Rouge drones are not dragons they are the space Buffalo.
You hunt the Cosmic Tatanka and skin them to make the clothing of your ship and grind there bones to make your ships. You must thank them for there sacrifice and use all there parts or you will bring great shame to your ancestors.

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#51 - 2012-01-12 13:26:49 UTC
Under water nobody can hear you scream.

In space nobody can hear you scream.

Do I need to say more Cool

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#52 - 2012-01-12 15:05:55 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Of course, full Newtonian physics would be a bit of a pain to work with. Let alone if you bring relativity into play.

Let me be able to stop time for every one as I fly by.

Time can resume now.
Dragon Outlaw
Rogue Fleet
#53 - 2012-01-12 17:19:24 UTC
Zleon Leigh wrote:
You can play the game without ever seeing anything other than the UI. One of the best PvP players I know only has a peep hole in his layout of overview, comms, watchlist, locked targts (etc etc etc) dialogs. All his actions are done in the UI space, not the graphics space.

Nice! IFR style PvP.

IFR for Intrument Flight Rules (check google, you will see what I am talking about)
Jenshae Chiroptera
#54 - 2012-01-12 18:39:33 UTC
Rel'k Bloodlor wrote:

Breaking News:

CCP after reading the Dragons of Pern series by Anne Mc Affrey have bought the copy right use of the material to include in their Dust 514 game. P
Reasons cited were, "These dragons were genetically grown and therefore fit into a Sci-Fi universe."

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#55 - 2012-01-12 20:20:04 UTC
Gravity Pull drives causes the ships to have 'friction.'

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Daneirkus Auralex
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2012-01-12 20:27:38 UTC
I, for one, would welcome new/better physics and ship controls.
Scortched Merc
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#57 - 2012-01-12 20:29:02 UTC
Where the hell is my periscope?

Torpedoes level 5 FTW

E .· ` ' / ·. F **Your tears fuel my internet spaceship. **

Jaffari Sin
#58 - 2012-01-12 20:44:29 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
ALLAARRRMMM!!!

Das Boot? Great movie
Dradius Calvantia
Lip Shords
#59 - 2012-01-12 20:58:54 UTC
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ + Orbiter Multiplayer Mod + Combat Mod = most fun I have had in a very long time.
Vaurion Infara
Doomheim
#60 - 2012-01-14 16:22:22 UTC
Actual submariner here. (sonar tech) There are actually quite a few parallels to submarine combat with Eve combat. We use TMA, tactical motion analysis, to get ranges and courses for contacts. We use things like transversal velocity, range rate, and optimal ranges for weapons. I can actually apply navy solution formulas to Eve for fun.

this is it