These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Flavor Vs Function, Everyflavor vs Berrylicous; Battle of the Name changes!

Author
Wacktopia
State War Academy
Caldari State
#21 - 2012-01-11 12:55:44 UTC
Cyzlaki wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Quote:
Incidenary
Mjonlir
Nova
Truama

Personally, I'd prefer:

Thermal
Explosive
EM
Kinetic.

I.e. Caldari Navy Kinetic Heavy Assault Missile.

Because why the hell complicate things?

Pretty much.

Part of the learning curve being so steep is the obfuscation caused by 101 different names. Imo, EVE should not be made hard or difficult by obfuscating information.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

DarkAegix
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2012-01-11 12:57:14 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Quote:
Incidenary
Mjonlir
Nova
Truama

Personally, I'd prefer:

Thermal
Explosive
EM
Kinetic.

I.e. Caldari Navy Kinetic Heavy Assault Missile.

Because why the hell complicate things?

But... But...
SHINIES! Cry
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#23 - 2012-01-11 13:07:51 UTC
Scourge isn't a brand name. Or if it is, it's like Hoover. Completely generic.

After all, what loyal Gallente would want to buy the same brand of missile as a die-hard Caldari?

(either that, or the patent system's gone completely insane in Eve, allowing someone to patent 'a missile that explodes' Blink )

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#24 - 2012-01-11 21:35:49 UTC
Yeah it never made any sense that a scourge missile be a brand name considering caldari navy and guristas and tech 2 uses them. they should have all original names if everyflavor bean thinking where to prevail.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#25 - 2012-01-11 21:40:16 UTC
I just shoot missiles. What's with all this name stuff?

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#26 - 2012-01-11 21:50:55 UTC
iamokwiththis.jpg

Also, why not just link to the discussion thread in question asking for players to continue the discussion there instead of creating yet another discussion thread here?

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#27 - 2012-01-11 21:54:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
Because thats over there is turned into dribbeling mess that is showing signs of spinning out of control for sillier reasons than the original argument. This also discusses the future of this motion or direction which they said they are going to do with alot of places just so happens missiles are the first in the line.

Also this is a discussion and secondly I am 800 characters over the limit and surprised it still displays dont have room to link it.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#28 - 2012-01-11 21:57:35 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:
Because thats over there is turned into dribbeling mess that is showing signs of spinning out of control for sillier reasons than the original argument.

Also this is a discussion and secondly I am 800 characters over the limit and surprised it still displays dont have room to link it.

Easy, delete everything and replace it with a 2 line summary and the link to the appropriate thread in the appropriate forum area asking people to go there and chime-in.

If your other thread is getting trolled and etc, that's what the report link is for.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#29 - 2012-01-11 22:00:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
Doc Fury wrote:
Nova Fox wrote:
Because thats over there is turned into dribbeling mess that is showing signs of spinning out of control for sillier reasons than the original argument.

Easy, delete everything and replace it with a 2 line summary and the link to the appropriate thread in the appropriate forum area asking people to go there and chime-in.

If your other thread is getting trolled and etc, that's what the report link is for.

Its not mine, and they're beginning ot argue conservative and progressive value/mentality, this would normally lead to a lock if idiots take the entire wrong definition of those and run it into the ground.

And the OP is already a summary of the 6 pages so far, nothing really new was brought to the table in the 4 pages of banter so far.

One guy is going so far as to imagine problems, which I find a bit insulting because I aint or majority of the players in eve are not that stupid as he claims all of us to be.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#30 - 2012-01-11 22:02:57 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Nova Fox wrote:

Its not mine, and they're beginning ot argue conservative and progressive value/mentality, this would normally lead to a lock if idiots take the entire wrong definition of those and run it into the ground.

And the OP is already a summary of the 6 pages so far, nothing really new was brought to the table in the 4 pages of banter so far.

One guy is going so far as to imagine problems, which i find a bit insulting because I aint that stupid either.

Not if when you report it you ask that the thread be cleaned. Anyone can do this whether they created the thread or not. It works.

Morganta
The Greater Goon
Clockwork Pineapple
#31 - 2012-01-11 22:19:08 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Quote:
Incidenary
Mjonlir
Nova
Truama
...senseible post...

Reason being that makes it seem like you're just a lazy ass dev who didn't bother to polish your game at all.

I would agree, but imo its a little late to be thinking about that stuff

I am not the type who likes the dumbing down of complex games, as the complexity and nearly infinite variety are often a welcome thing in some gaming circles (SWG and the NGE being a classic example of the backlash from over simplification)

couldn't missiles keep their silly names and just make the search smarter instead of the content being made dumber?
could the name just be the name and let the search focus on attributes (either existing or new) or a hidden data field that keeps a list of logical search terms

if ($searchterm==thermal missiles) {
display all missiles that do thermal damage
}

I really never quite understood how a massive db-centric game like eve can have such awful search abilities
but I can't really say its limited to EVE either
Micia
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2012-01-12 00:43:43 UTC
Don't like this change. X

Frontier: Prelude To Darkness - An animated scifi web-series, featuring me! Watch it :) ...and coming soon, play Wing Commander Saga: Darkest Dawn. Also, with me. :)

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#33 - 2012-01-12 00:46:14 UTC
Morganta wrote:
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Quote:
Incidenary
Mjonlir
Nova
Truama
...senseible post...

Reason being that makes it seem like you're just a lazy ass dev who didn't bother to polish your game at all.

I would agree, but imo its a little late to be thinking about that stuff

I am not the type who likes the dumbing down of complex games, as the complexity and nearly infinite variety are often a welcome thing in some gaming circles (SWG and the NGE being a classic example of the backlash from over simplification)

couldn't missiles keep their silly names and just make the search smarter instead of the content being made dumber?
could the name just be the name and let the search focus on attributes (either existing or new) or a hidden data field that keeps a list of logical search terms

if ($searchterm==thermal missiles) {
display all missiles that do thermal damage
}

I really never quite understood how a massive db-centric game like eve can have such awful search abilities
but I can't really say its limited to EVE either

I think it has to do with the bad children and bad parents in the database trees. I mean its the was the biggest thing causing the BPO/BPCs to look the same for the longest time.

Covert Kitty
SRS Industries
#34 - 2012-01-12 01:07:48 UTC
I support the change, theres probably some who don't like to see change whatever form it takes. (There were those that didn't support the skill queue for example). However these things need polishing (as well as many other things in eve) and I applaud CCP for looking at it.
Previous page12