These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The Best Feature Idea I've ever read

Author
That Handsome Frog
A Random Corporation
#141 - 2012-01-11 01:21:44 UTC
AOE Titan says: Pirate
Zangorus
Lightning Squad
#142 - 2012-01-11 02:02:45 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
It didn't work in Perpetuum so what makes you think it would work here?

its a ******** fix for a ******** problem

Like my comment and recieve 1 million isk ingame!

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#143 - 2012-01-11 02:06:28 UTC
It's not a fix unless it works. So far it's just a poorly thought out suggestion.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Sicex
#144 - 2012-01-11 02:06:42 UTC

In Short the idea is this: The more locks that are on a target the longer it will take for another lock to be established.


Been playing this game since the beginning of '04... what an ingenious way to combat blobs in favor of more effective small fleets that maximize lock time while not sacrificing DPS due to a lack of blobbage.

Scaling a fleet back to increase lock time could be very tactical if you have a small strike fleet jump in to quick lock logi ships, etc followed up by a more blobby force for a final punch.

This idea is great, I love it, it adds dynamic and smarts back to fleet makeups and engagements, it also presents the idea of a small strike force going up against a large blob and having an ounce of hope... Isn't that the biggest payoff of this idea? Always giving the little guys the chance to climb the ladder too?
Stabs McShiv
This is Serious Mum
The Initiative.
#145 - 2012-01-11 02:22:19 UTC
What about if all ship could only lock one target? But ships in a squad can lock as many as they have members in a squad?

or

Have each additional lock on a ship create a 'sphere of noise' that grows making the ships closer by take longer and longer to lock and eventually disappear from the overview entirely base it on ship sig radius so hundreds can lock a titan but a squad of frigates in the same area of space will disappear into the noise if more then a few people lock up one of the frigates in the group . Make logistic and ewar mods increase a ships susceptibility to the noise. Yay Target painters are actually useful now.

i dunno just a idea probably dosnt make any sense anyway.
Sicex
#146 - 2012-01-11 02:37:24 UTC
I think the root of the idea is key and I hope a dev takes note:

To curb the blob effect of fleet battles you have to find a may to make it disadvantageous to have a constantly bigger fleet (currently there is no down side to an unlimited number of pilots). The solution to curbing the crowds lies in the locking...

DPS of a blob can't be done en masse if the ships of the blobs can't lock their targets - sounds like ECM would be the ticket but it seems to be the system MOST susceptible to lag interference, besides the inherent flaw in it.

Slowing lock times, hard capping number of locked targets (making targeting more than one object a big deal), influencing overview readings to augment lock times - these are all solutions based around the idea that the locking mechanic can be played with to level the playing field of small corp fleets versus big boy blobs.

Ultimately the goal would be to encourage mix up along borders and prevent perpetual NAPs and stalemates in 0.0.
Mirima Thurander
#147 - 2012-01-11 03:10:47 UTC
Im glad more people have come along that under stand the base idea.


now if we could get the support to get the devs to even look at it, that's the biggest problem.

All automated intel should be removed from the game including Instant local/jumps/kills/cynos for all systems/regions.Eve should report nothing like this to the client/3rd party software.Intel should not be force fed to players. Player skill and iniative should be the sources of intel.

Wot I Think
Doomheim
#148 - 2012-01-11 03:35:07 UTC
This would fix many things.
Bayushi Tamago
Sect of the Crimson Eisa
#149 - 2012-01-11 03:37:33 UTC
Lock time increase based on current number of targets you have - Yes.
Lock time increase on targets based on number of established locks - I see the logic, but not the right way to do it
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#150 - 2012-01-11 03:43:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
DarkAegix wrote:
Aestivalis Saidrian wrote:
Shameless marketing of Listen-Kill technology. EVE is a perfect simulator of everything. Derp.

I honestly can't believe how idiotic you are. And you just continue to embarrass yourself.

EVE is a game.
Games require balance.

Go have a cry about how EVE's space shows liquid-like properties. This game is not a space simulator.

Do you want your own idea completely destroyed?
Where is Listen-Kill in EVE, right now? Oh, it's not there. There must be a reason it is not there. It doesn't matter why it's not in EVE. Balance or fiction, who cares? Balance is more important than fiction, and fiction can be changed to meet balance.

STFU, and take your idiocy somewhere else. EVE is not a simulator, and your foolish tears won't change a single thing.


No .. players require game change to suit their needs. Game does NOT require balance..
This whole idea of "fixing" "imaginary" problem is prove of that.. You cant defeat your enemy by normal means because "insert the reason there" and therefore the game needs to be changed..

If its all about balance then why have different ships for different roles... balance wise it would be just great if there was just one prefitted ship .. you get for free everytime it gets destroyed..

But it will certeinly be more fun .. with regular squads .. small engagement .. fleets within fleets etc. And people engaging in such will have to actually know something about "PvP", which will reduce numbers of people engaging in mass fleet fights, therefore there will be no mass fleet fights Big smile
However .. IF there will be massive fleets and everyone will try to engage in acutall "PvP" not ctrl click brodacsted press F1 continue... then it will be not so fun because of lag.. you cant navigate your ship adequately and cant go your way to your target in heavy lag enviroment..
Aestivalis Saidrian
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#151 - 2012-01-11 04:52:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Aestivalis Saidrian
DarkAegix wrote:
Q_Q



Simple: Its why you don't have the problem of this completely arbitrary mechanic that does absolutely nothing for the game other then make the following happen.

1) Only Logistics are found in small gangs.
2) Small gangs all lock each other to abuse this mechanic.
3) Blobs Do Not Change. Targeting is handed down to squad level, leaving squad leaders to designate targets. People still get alpha'd out of existence.
4) x8 Large Smart Bomb Titans hotdrop into fleets, erase everything when 200 people can't lock it.
5) SeBo II with Lockon script becomes standard issue on all ships.
6) Haters gonna hate Falcons even more.
7) Everyone will carry shield/armor rep drones. After all, those lock onto people as well.

Status Quo preserved.

There's a reason why this thread died in Ships And Modules.
Shalee Lianne
Banana-Republic.
HERO Coalition.
#152 - 2012-01-11 07:23:59 UTC
+1
I like this idea.
http://amarrian.blogspot.com/  ~ Roleplay blog. http://sovereigntywars.wordpress.com/ ~ Faction War blog.
Rel'k Bloodlor
Guldan Age Stories
Federation Front Line
#153 - 2012-01-11 08:39:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Rel'k Bloodlor
The idea makes no sense at all. Like if we all look at some thing it takes people longer to find it? One lots of computers all try to do the same thing it takes longer? That is just not how it works. If any thing it should be the other way around if Im in fleet and our computers are talking then mine should be augmenting yours, or just telling you were they are because my ship already knows.
As a solution to a problem its still half assed. No way to make bigger and bigger fights last longer and longer, if any thing just make it so they have to split up and hold multiple points simultaneously in system to take sov and BAMB smaller longer fights

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

Aestivalis Saidrian
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#154 - 2012-01-11 09:02:19 UTC
They already have to. Gotta control the gates you drop Sovereignerity Blockade Units at more then half of the star gates, then you have to fight at the Cynojammer, Infrastructure, etc.

From my understanding, current doctrine is to completely smash the defenders, secure the system via gate camasgmps, THEN drop SBUs, smash poses, etc. Which is why no multiple fights occur in system.
DarkAegix
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#155 - 2012-01-11 09:09:51 UTC
Aestivalis Saidrian wrote:

Simple: Its why you don't have the problem of this completely arbitrary mechanic that does absolutely nothing for the game other then make the following happen.

1) Only Logistics are found in small gangs.
2) Small gangs all lock each other to abuse this mechanic.
3) Blobs Do Not Change. Targeting is handed down to squad level, leaving squad leaders to designate targets. People still get alpha'd out of existence.
4) x8 Large Smart Bomb Titans hotdrop into fleets, erase everything when 200 people can't lock it.
5) SeBo II with Lockon script becomes standard issue on all ships.
6) Haters gonna hate Falcons even more.
7) Everyone will carry shield/armor rep drones. After all, those lock onto people as well.

Amazing.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is a prime example of an idiot. Don't make too much noise! They are easily startled and may attempt to spew verbal diarrhoea over you. Please do not stick your limbs inside the cage, as the idiot may defecate on them. Refrain from throwing peanuts at the idiot. Thank you.

1) Look how wrong you are. Logistics will be *useful* in large fleet fights, because ships won't be WTF-ALPHA'd by hundreds of ships at once. In fact, they'll be MORE USEFUL. You are wrong.
2) Have you read this thread? Can you read? Link the mechanic to fleet/corp/alliance/a new friendly system and since lock time will depend on number of targets currently lockING, not already lockED, the system becomes unexploitable. Wait, too many syllables for you. Sorry.
3) Sounds good to me. There'll still be blobs, but they can't WTF-pwn smaller fleets while taking no casualties. The splitting of target priorities sounds good. People will still be alpha'd, but not by hundreds of ships at once.
4) When no one can lock? Really? The idea is to stop EVERYONE from locking ONE. Not EVERYONE from EVERYONE.
5) Look at your stupidity increase. Suddenly, the time for 800 Maelstroms to lock a Rifter decreases from 5 minutes to 4! Astounding! Meanwhile, the other (intelligent) fleet has about 50 Maelstroms already locked and being fired at!
6) Hate for the Falcon will be equal. Locks will be equally easy to obtain for a competent fleet. The secret is to have dozens of targets, instead of one.
7) OH CHRIST. THE IDIOCY. THE SHEER IDIOCY. I. CAN'T. WITHSTAND IT. AAAARGHHHHHHHH. What if shield/armour rep drones don't count towards the locked target count? Oh, but that's too obvious and you're clearly as dense as a singularity.

TL;DR
You are a terrible poster and human being.


And, Rel'k, this is a video game. It makes sense as long as fiction supports it. Gameplay is secondary to logic, and logic can change in games. Fights won't necessarily last longer. Tactics will change. Squads need targets each, and multiple targets will be dying at once instead of one at a time. You know, like every single EVE trailer, naval warfare, aerial warfare, ground warfare and everything else.
Rel'k Bloodlor
Guldan Age Stories
Federation Front Line
#156 - 2012-01-11 09:23:25 UTC
As for how it works now, I guess I meant to say in constellation(more of a hold the front/line thing not a you stand on the corners side of the room thing.

SI-FI!!!! It gots the word SCIENCE, make it make sense like science. Don't tell me it works the opposite of real life like magic. This is not fantasy.

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

DarkAegix
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#157 - 2012-01-11 09:29:42 UTC
Rel'k Bloodlor wrote:
SI-FI!!!! It gots the word SCIENCE, make it make sense like science. Don't tell me it works the opposite of real life like magic. This is not fantasy.

Here's your required serving of science for the day:

Quote:

Gravimetric - The micro-scale gravimeter probes used to measure their own acceleration towards the target ship, thus calculate gravity, begin to collide with other probes due to the gravity field drawing them together.

Ladar - The huge number of lasers colliding with the target ship interferes with the wavelengths of each beam. The changed wavelength leads to unexpected diffraction occurs as the lasers pass through the gaps of the target ship's shields, leading to scrambled data.

Radar - Radio waves, upon passing through the target ship's shields, slightly deteriorate in their consistency and trajectory, as they are refracted. As this deterioration takes place, the shields of the target ship begin to vibrate ever so slightly, leading to greater deterioration experienced per extra radio wave.

Magnetometric (Measuring magnitude and direction of EM field) - Electromagnetic pulses fired off by the ship targeting interfere with other ships attempting to target. False EM fields are detected as target ships, but cannot be verified, leading to a greater amount of target validation being necessary, thus increasing lock time.



I'll tell you that the above explanations are more scientific than some other things in EVE. I didn't even need to pull out the 'nanites & Jovians' wildcard.
Rel'k Bloodlor
Guldan Age Stories
Federation Front Line
#158 - 2012-01-11 09:42:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Rel'k Bloodlor
But what about the human angle? The reactors and propulsion we use release radiation, but the first thing the humans of Eden obviously did was shield them selves from it. If in the devilment stage this problem came up it would have had to have been dealt with before governments and markets would endorse it. As it stands to day all electronics in most places fallow guidelines about interfering with other devises. Its not just as simple as fluffing up some theory of the how, you also need to explain how Billions of scientist, engineers, politicians, and sales reps went along with it as well. Even if its just a new development the people would still begin stepping in and fixing it as its a problem to both safety and security.

Also no wizards

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

Elistea
BLUE Regiment.
#159 - 2012-01-11 10:30:42 UTC
Love the idea.
Rel'k Bloodlor
Guldan Age Stories
Federation Front Line
#160 - 2012-01-11 11:11:57 UTC
Ugg there are limitless ways to fix the problem other than "Im mad and don't like it so I want it smashed". This is after all a role playing game about humans, in the future, in space. So they should innovate, improve, invent. I would rather hear of a new T2 that employs some device that punish large groups buy reducing there Scan rez or incoming damage than stuppiding down the game so Timy stops crying about his ship loss. Because then Billy starts crying about how it was his turn and you can't change the rules now.
We have to keep in mind that the problem that this is trying to fix is 60% our fault. We blob because its safer to be a fish in a big school than a wolf in a small pack. It's just easer to get 200 people to show up at the tower of London around noon with running shoes than to get 200 people to all dress like different pok'emon go in groups of 4 to 50 places at 3pm face south and say "the aristocrats" at 3:33pm.
This fix will do no better than the HP buff did at not being the insta dead, all it will do is swing the pendulum in favor of armour tanks, as they can fit more SeBo II and Se Link II's.

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats.