These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Balancing Feedback: Assault Ships

First post First post
Author
Axel Greye
Unlikely Suspects
#761 - 2012-01-14 14:00:22 UTC
Duchess Starbuckington wrote:
Prometheus Exenthal wrote:
Stuff about an AB bonus.

We're 38 pages in, and this still needs to be reiterated for people?
Dear god.

that's because most AF pilots agree that the MWD bonus is pretty useless. AB bonus is the natural next step on most peoples minds.
Duchess Starbuckington
Doomheim
#762 - 2012-01-14 14:31:59 UTC
Except the AB bonus has been tried, tested, and was determined to be completely broken.
Prometheus Exenthal
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#763 - 2012-01-14 17:37:08 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
The old interceptor bonus was a 7.5% reduction in signature radius per level for a grand 37.5% reduction at level 5. Well when you crunch the numbers that is pretty close to the proposed MWD bonus' effect

Fair enough, but the current bonus is 15% reduction per level. It doesn't matter how it used to be.
Interceptors were a shitload faster/agile and suited for tackling then, and they are even more now (tackling bonuses added).

https://www.youtube.com/user/promsrage

DO YOUR JOBS, CCP DEVS. FIX THE GAME INSTEAD OF FKING IT

m0cking bird
Doomheim
#764 - 2012-01-14 17:54:49 UTC
qed

ROFL! Thought I was crazy. However, I think I'm witnessing true crazy (Inhalant abuse).

Embodiment of delusional and perverse empirical thought. Une question qui anime parfois me brumeuse: suis-je ou sont les autres fous? Heh! Some may believe I'm facetious (contrarian). However, this game is mired with Pseudo-intellectuals.

The possible dislocation and implications can only be quantified threw a prism (possible set-ups). One can only postulate, with a focal point (ship slot layout, hit-points, velocity, weapon system, scan resolution, targeting range and ship bonuses). I'm a observer of facts. Not, Absolute positions, relative to a series of changes in a dynamic environment. None linear, multi subset (web). In what is a complete maw of data. Does fitting tools, not aggregate game data, which is indisputable fact (unless out of date)? A Dramiel without weapon modules cannot do damage (in-game). Without a propulsion module. Is a Dramiel superior to a Vengeance, with a propulsion module?

Set-ups proffer contrast. How else could you come to a determination that x (sans) is superior to y? Facts unravel ignorance. A set-up is FACT IN-GAME and determines contrast. Contrast = comparison in respect to x (difference). How else does a pilot determine what is and what is not overpowered (preach)? Ships + modules = limited possibilities and comparisons Bla bla bla ETC.

This thread is a joke... Come @ me BRO! \0/

I'll post this again, because CCP is trying to censor me.

-proxyyyy
Axel Greye
Unlikely Suspects
#765 - 2012-01-14 17:55:57 UTC
Duchess Starbuckington wrote:
Except the AB bonus has been tried, tested, and was determined to be completely broken.

The AB Bonus has been tried at 75%. Which is broken.
A Reduction to this bonus is what's being discussed now.
Axel Greye
Unlikely Suspects
#766 - 2012-01-14 17:57:26 UTC
m0cking bird wrote:

-proxyyyy

Only someone with a bad argument tries to hide it behind justification of intellect.
m0cking bird
Doomheim
#767 - 2012-01-14 18:03:10 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
Prom-

The old interceptor bonus was a 7.5% reduction in signature radius per level for a grand 37.5% reduction at level 5. Well when you crunch the numbers that is pretty close to the proposed MWD bonus' effect. Example:

40m assault frigate -
Current MWD proposal 40 x 3.5 = 140m
Old sig reduction 25 x 6 = 150m

It's within 10m if both use a MWD. And the latter bonus is useful for AB aficionados too. Twisted

Zak you're p close to what I was insinuating in a earlier post. Infact, once you overheat a assault frigates micro-warp drive or increase a assault frigates velocity to around 3,000m in anyway. Assault frigates mirror Interceptor performance., with alot more tank. I wanted to wait just a little longer before I made a SUPER SERIOUS post about it.

The other argument would be. Alot of pilots including myself. Have never trained Interceptors to level 5 (inty 4). After I figured this out. My previous test became skewed. Had to use a Interceptor 5 pilot. The role bonus is not per level and Interceptor 4 = assault frigates role bonus atm.

-proxyyyy
m0cking bird
Doomheim
#768 - 2012-01-14 18:11:53 UTC
Takeshi Yamato wrote:
m0cking bird wrote:
Takeshi Yamato wrote:
m0cking bird wrote:
Here are some conservative changes to assault frigates.

ASSAULT FRIGATE:

Role bonus: 50% bonus to Capacitor

Yea that looks pretty good for keeping the status quo.

What changes would you like to see to assault frigates?

I would like to see all frigates playing a larger role in PvP and approve of any changes that have a chance of achieving this. Starting with AFs. Your proposed 50% capacitor bonus doesn't achieve anything in this regard, it only makes them better (lowsec) soloers but doesn't bring them out of the gutter.

I understand. While these changes will increase assault frigates viability in fleet engagements to that of a cruiser. My changes were in no way geared to making that viable. With these changes. Alot of assault frigates will be viable in fleets, with large tanks.

My intent. Is to Keep the dynamics on the lower level. Accepting the fact that frigates are throw away ships in large engagements and any frigate can fill that role.

My changes were not geared towards low sec or null sec. It was focused on keeping the rock paper scissors in the frigate engagement envelope. How the class interacts with other frigates, destroyers and to a lesser extent cruisers/battle-cruisers.

I removed the sig reduction bonus, because it encroached into Interceptors purview. The changes would still be significant.

-proxyyyy
m0cking bird
Doomheim
#769 - 2012-01-14 18:13:39 UTC
Hirana Yoshida wrote:
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
...It's within 10m if both use a MWD. And the latter bonus is useful for AB aficionados too. Twisted

Would make them way too hard to kill once you factor in the mandatory Loki .. that sig bonus worked for interceptors since you can often kill them just by looking at them, but on AFs that can field cruiser size tanks *shudder* .. Wolf would be a 200dps/10k EHP light drone Smile
Also shares the problem that any uniform combat related bonus has, it mainly benefits the few (ie. strong become stronger).

The only such bonus I can think of that would benefit all in equal measure is a heat resistance or efficiency bonus, but I think CCP said some time ago that it represents an advanced style of play so won't be used on "normal" ships or some nonsense like that.

The MWD bonus has such a limited use that any benefit already strong hulls may gain from it will be negligible, but that is about the only good thing there is to say about it.
Much better all-round if 1mn MWD's had their sig bloom halved instead as all frigates/dessies labour under the very problems that Prom seeks to solve for AFs .. bonus is that tackle in the form of interceptors would become phenomenal even in blobby weather.

Wonder how many of the Wolf/Jaguar/Ishkur BPO's are in Prom&Co's hands, bet it is most of them considering the arbitrary dismissals of any criticism.

Preach!
m0cking bird
Doomheim
#770 - 2012-01-14 18:18:59 UTC
Axel Greye wrote:
m0cking bird wrote:

-proxyyyy

Only someone with a bad argument tries to hide it behind justification of intellect.

WTF are you on about? Anyway, there has been no argument for or against a boost to afterburners on page 38 until you decided to bring it up. Good luck, with that. I was one of the first pilots to argue against it when that stuff was first thrown about.

<3 eve search.

-proxyyyy
Jaigar
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#771 - 2012-01-14 18:21:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaigar
m0cking bird wrote:

I removed the sig reduction bonus, because it encroached into Interceptors purview. The changes would still be significant.

-proxyyyy

If sig reduction bonus encroaches on interceptors, then damage bonuses encroach on assault frigates. Therefore we should remove damage bonuses from interceptors.

See the problem with this argument?
Axel Greye
Unlikely Suspects
#772 - 2012-01-14 18:24:28 UTC
m0cking bird wrote:
Axel Greye wrote:
m0cking bird wrote:

-proxyyyy

WTF are you on about? Anyway, there has been no argument for or against a boost to afterburners on page 38 until you decided to bring it up. Good luck, with that. I was one of the first pilots to argue against it when that stuff was first thrown about.

<3 eve search.

-proxyyyy

Did you even read the posts on page 38? Ofcourse there is discussion on ABs before I got there, its what I was replying to.
Axel Greye
Unlikely Suspects
#773 - 2012-01-14 18:25:27 UTC
Jaigar wrote:
m0cking bird wrote:

-proxyyyy

If sig reduction bonus encroaches on interceptors, then damage bonuses encroach on assault frigates. Therefore we should remove damage bonuses from interceptors.

Damage bonus on inties is not a 'role' bonus. Role implies purpose, and it is not an AF's purpose to MWD tackle.
m0cking bird
Doomheim
#774 - 2012-01-14 18:41:38 UTC
Jaigar wrote:
m0cking bird wrote:

-proxyyyy

Damage is a requirement for player versus player. While it's a factor. When does one ship start to do something that completely overshadows all other ships in its class and other classes? When the answer is to bring one ship or class. Does that not destroy the rock paper scissors (variety). Once another class of ship is made obsolete, because another class of ship. Is able to do the same @ around the same cost, but is superior in another class of ship engagement ranges. When does that become a problem? That is almost what every other post in ships & modules is about.

Battle-cruisers > everything

When you're repeating a past mistake. Is that not crazy? Especially if you expect a different result.

-proxyyyy
Jaigar
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#775 - 2012-01-14 18:47:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaigar
It makes no difference if its a role bonus or a ship bonus. All the Inties have their racial frigate give some sort of damage bonus, so its always there just like the role bonus.

The role bonus doesn't even matter. Theres ABing Tarani, force recons in WH space, most BCs don't use their 1 ganglink spot, a lot of logi ships still use damage drones even with a massive drone bonus, etc..

Being able to reach your target and not die in the process is just as big of a requirement as damage.
m0cking bird
Doomheim
#776 - 2012-01-14 18:49:22 UTC
Axel Greye wrote:
m0cking bird wrote:
Axel Greye wrote:
m0cking bird wrote:

-proxyyyy

<3 eve search.

-proxyyyy

Did you even read the posts on page 38? Ofcourse there is discussion on ABs before I got there, its what I was replying to.

My mistake. You were responding to another pilots reference to a argument that he believed was for a afterburner boost (he was infact arguing that assault frigates would encroach on the interceptor class). Which was not the case. That said. You're technically correct! I apologies.

Giving assault frigates a bonus to afterburners would damage other classes of ships. Making them overpowered, just like CCP's proposed changes in this thread. Has alot to do with relative velocities of cruiser and battle-cruisers man. Just not a good move on smaller scale engagements.

-proxyyyy
Prometheus Exenthal
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#777 - 2012-01-14 18:53:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Prometheus Exenthal
That's a poor excuse. If they called it something other than a "Role Bonus" would you feel better? Roll
An AF cannot replace an Interceptor, the same way that Daredevils can't replace Interceptors.

They can emulate the role, but they can't duplicate it.
On top of that, they can't even come close to the role without sacrificing what makes them Assault Frigates.

So here's a challenge to you Proxyyyy.
Without links, T2 rigs, faction & officer modules, make an AF fit that would replace a fleet Interceptor and remain useful as an actual Assault Frigate. Something that an FC would say, no no, put that Stiletto back and grab the *LR Tackle AF* instead. I'm limiting you from the above, simply because you can throw isk at anything & throwing isk at Interceptors simply makes them tackle way better than an AF could dream.

As far as damaging other classes of ships, they are supposed to be toe to toe with T1 Cruisers. Other frigates aren't the intended targets as they are already shredded by AFs. The 3 *weak* Pirate frigates would get adjusted to be viable comparisons. And before you even say it, Destroyers still hurt a whole lot for a 1m ship that takes no more SP than a Rifter.

m0cking bird
Doomheim
#778 - 2012-01-14 18:57:38 UTC
Jaigar wrote:
It makes no difference if its a role bonus or a ship bonus. All the Inties have their racial frigate give some sort of damage bonus, so its always there just like the role bonus.

The role bonus doesn't even matter. Theres ABing Tarani, force recons in WH space, most BCs don't use their 1 ganglink spot, a lot of logi ships still use damage drones even with a massive drone bonus, etc..

Being able to reach your target and not die in the process is just as big of a requirement as damage.

True! However, the propose changes to assault frigates will enable them to do just as much as Interceptors and go even further. I would not have a serious issue with the role bonus if it did not enter Interceptors purview. Otherwise I would just be focusing on slot amount and tank. Arguing, to keep assault frigates defences limited and focus on assault frigates doing destroyer level damage, with frigate tank.

That is the same as Heavy assault cruisers and battle-cruisers. Heavy assault cruisers have the damage of battle-cruisers, but the tank of cruisers. It's possible for lower classes of ships to engage them effectively and upper classes of ships.

However, I don't disagree with much of what you just said. My arguments are directed towards the relationship between ship classes and how these changes will effect them (not will. does effect them on the test server). All fact...

-proxyyyy
Prometheus Exenthal
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#779 - 2012-01-14 19:01:56 UTC
HACs don't have T1 Cruiser tanks, not even close LolLol

Stukkler Tian
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#780 - 2012-01-14 19:47:52 UTC
1) Thank you for the mid on the retribution. I am a bit worried about a optimal and tracking boost on a laser ship. Scorch plus the ability to swap to muliti in a second make this ship dangerous from all ranges when you give it a tracking boost.
2) Prom its a bad idea to go head to head with Wensly on anything concerning any frigate.
3) Not to worried about the mwd boost. it is kind of annoying that they could not think of something that benefits everyone but hey I cant either. I will still be fitting abs on my afs the same as i do my interceptors.
4) (correct me if I’m wrong) but I thought i read that a boost to null(ammo) will be released at the same time as the next patch this combined with a web will make the enyo pretty ridiculous. Great damage Great Tracking and now with range control and the ability to hit at that range.
5) to the people complaining about the wolf not getting a mid, falloff..falloff..falloff
6) Afs are hard to kill in bigger ships....when you don’t have webs neuts or small drones. oddly enough t1 frigs are hard to kill without those things as well.

My final verdict (for what little its worth)- Mid on the Retribution was necessary, the mwd sig reduction necessary (0.0 people cry about everything), everything else seems like a bit much. I fly assault frigs pretty regularly and I never feel like they are underpowered.(note-I dont fly ugly missile spewing shield tank boats named after birds)