These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Balancing Feedback: Assault Ships

First post First post
Author
m0cking bird
Doomheim
#661 - 2012-01-12 13:51:31 UTC  |  Edited by: m0cking bird
I once linked a quick well rounded set-up on the forums not to long ago (Before *AF changes = SISI). That set-up had a neutraliser to help the Retribution @ warp scrambler range. Here's a damage focused Retribution set-up. 175 damage per-second with scorch ammunition (without heat), 2,300ms/sec and 8,000 effective hit-points. Some pilots may end up fitting 1 or 2 overdrive injectors. The Retribution would then have a velocity of 2,900m/sec. However, the damage would fall to 160 damage per second (scorch), with 2 Overdrive injectors.

Err! 220 damage per second with multi-frequency (250 damage per second with heat).***

The ship should not get more tracking or damage.

Retribution

Dual Light Pulse Laser II, Scorch S
[Empty High slot]

Catalyzed Cold-Gas Arcjet Thrusters
Faint Warp Disruptor I

Fourier Transform Tracking Program
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

Small Energy Collision Accelerator II
Small Algid Energy Administrations Unit I

Oh! My bro wants me to post his set-up. This is how he's set-up the Retribution currently.

185 damager per second with scorch. 2,600m/sec and 230 damage per second with multi-frequency (265 damage per second with heat).

Retribution

Medium Pulse Laser II, Scorch S
[Empty High slot]

Catalyzed Cold-Gas Arcjet Thrusters
Faint Warp Disruptor I

Overdrive Injector System II
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Heat Sink II

Small Energy Burst Aerator I
Small Energy Collision Accelerator I

-proxyyyy
Michael Harari
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#662 - 2012-01-12 13:52:54 UTC
OT: I always thought a better comparison for the firetail was the dram. The dram pretty much = firetail + range bonuses + drone bay + snakes. Jaguar didnt get tracking bonuses, was way slower, had t2 resists, had very different fitting, etc.

Prom, any word on what changes, if any, from the OP in this thread are being released?
Prometheus Exenthal
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#663 - 2012-01-12 13:57:37 UTC
If I knew anything that wasn't public knowledge, it would be under the NDA P

https://www.youtube.com/user/promsrage

DO YOUR JOBS, CCP DEVS. FIX THE GAME INSTEAD OF FKING IT

Laerise
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#664 - 2012-01-12 14:01:02 UTC
Prometheus Exenthal wrote:
@Cosmic
Unless your target lands on you in tackle range, that extra armor really doesnt help as much as you're making it out to.

The Enyo is flys like a brick
The Enyo turns like a brick
The Enyo does not tank like a brick

When you are looking to take on another AF, you dont simply glide into web range.
You fling your ship at him, and then more often than not, go careening past your target so you can claw back.
You have the shortest damage projection when fit with blasters, and by the time you actually get in range, that extra little 200 base armor is loong gone.

Sounds like bad manual piloting to me, you shoud drop a can at a safe and start practising Prom. Lol
Prometheus Exenthal
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#665 - 2012-01-12 14:03:13 UTC
I'm not saying that I do that. Surely I'm referring to those pubbies less skilled than I P

Anja Talis
Sal's Waste Management and Pod Disposal
#666 - 2012-01-12 14:19:05 UTC
I'm not saying that I do that. Surely I'm referring to those pubbies less skilled than I P

and its those sorts of pilots who would demonstrate a ship being OP.
DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#667 - 2012-01-12 14:21:20 UTC  |  Edited by: DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL

@Darkstar
You do make some valid points, but this isn't a thread about the Firetail and how bad it is P
The Firetail needs work with or without the AF boost. Did you see the part where I thought giving the Firetail 10m3 of drones? It's a direct crib from the Probe, and would give you an extra 40dps (tops) Smile
It's not only different from both AFs, but something pretty damn useful!

Your right, this isn't a thread about firetails and i probly shouldnt have expected you to have some perfect fix for them off the top of ur head. And yes thats a pretty cool idea. Although IMO i think 5th mid would open up a lot more for firetail, and I can't see how it would overpower it either. Another reason I don't like the drone idea is that it forces to train drone skills to get the most out of a mater class, which isn't very fitting of a "faction" frigate.. And the 40 dps extra just gives it Jag dps which pretty much keeps it in that box tbh. I would like to see a firetail +15-20 cpu +1mid, give it an invul or shield boost or something and a better reason for me to stop armor tanking it =p ofc with only 15-20 cpu you wuld still need to juggle your fitting and maybe cut to smaller guns to fit a bit more tank, sorta along the lines of what you were suggestion before. pulls firetail out of its ditch at least and gives more reason to fly it
Prometheus Exenthal
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#668 - 2012-01-12 14:29:31 UTC
It wouldn't get an extra slot since all the Navy frigs have 7 slots P
As for the drone skills, the Vigil and Probe both use drones, so it would be something most players (I'd hope) have.

Alex Medvedov
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#669 - 2012-01-12 14:29:38 UTC
DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL wrote:

@Darkstar
You do make some valid points, but this isn't a thread about the Firetail and how bad it is P
The Firetail needs work with or without the AF boost. Did you see the part where I thought giving the Firetail 10m3 of drones? It's a direct crib from the Probe, and would give you an extra 40dps (tops) Smile
It's not only different from both AFs, but something pretty damn useful!

Your right, this isn't a thread about firetails and i probly shouldnt have expected you to have some perfect fix for them off the top of ur head. And yes thats a pretty cool idea. Although IMO i think 5th mid would open up a lot more for firetail, and I can't see how it would overpower it either. Another reason I don't like the drone idea is that it forces to train drone skills to get the most out of a mater class, which isn't very fitting of a "faction" frigate.. And the 40 dps extra just gives it Jag dps which pretty much keeps it in that box tbh. I would like to see a firetail +15 cpu +mid, give it an invul or shield boost and a better reason for me to stop armor tanking it =p

Yes and when you are at it , give my Jag 5th mid as well, +5 pg and the 5th high slot, because i dont want to be killed by Wolves and Thrashers anymore... Do you think it will have any influence on ballance? OFC it will not!

And could you please lower the cost of Jaguars? Lets say on Ruptures level?

Come on guys, are you being serious?!
Hirana Yoshida
Behavioral Affront
#670 - 2012-01-12 14:30:51 UTC
...The Firetail is the only weak Navy frigates and it should be fixed...

Why are you here anyway, if your understanding of frigates is so limited then you should be no where near a balancing discussion.

Four (4) .. count them FOUR .. midslots on a high dps turret ship (yes, 120+dps is high for a T1 frigate) is insane. Firetail is probably one of the stronger navy frigs, largely due to the immense versatility of its slot configuration .. there are several very powerful fits for it whereas the other navy frigs have two, perhaps three if one pushes the criteria.

2+k/s on AB, 140+dps, scram, 5k+ EHP, TD and neut with only a single T1 rig used to fit .. yeah, sounds horribly underpowered to me .. sheesh.

But it is OK, at least now I am confident that the proposed over-buff will be toned down significantly or go back to the drawing-board .. even blind, deaf and dumb CCP employees would think twice about leaving balance in the hands of the inexperienced .. or rather I hope so.

Carry on, lobbying complete.
DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#671 - 2012-01-12 14:36:38 UTC
It wouldn't get an extra slot since all the Navy frigs have 7 slots P
As for the drone skills, the Vigil and Probe both use drones, so it would be something most players (I'd hope) have.

Well maybe all factions need an extra slots. I know you weren't including highs, but Hookbill could do with a utility high badly tbh. But thats bad logic anyway, you should look at ships as a package tbh. Because its similar to ppl saying that because all other tracking bonuses are 7.5%, Retri's should be raised from 5% to 7.5%. Just to fit in right, never mind what work the ship itself needs to be balanced? All the other faction frigs may have 7 slots but all the other faction frigs are better ships then firetail as agreed. Rather then worry about the specifics, why not just give firetail what it needs to compete with them? Slicer's utility high slot is pretty much useless as well tbh, just there to keep the numbers nice
DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#672 - 2012-01-12 14:38:35 UTC  |  Edited by: DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL
Alex Medvedov wrote:

Yes and when you are at it , give my Jag 5th mid as well, +5 pg and the 5th high slot, because i dont want to be killed by Wolves and Thrashers anymore... Do you think it will have any influence on ballance? OFC it will not!

to be honest, i wouldn't be asking for faction frigs to be buffed if AF's weren't just buffed. considering they are exactly the same price. your jag just got an extra low slot for more dps. give that to the firetail as well then.

Quote:
But it is OK, at least now I am confident that the proposed over-buff will be toned down significantly or go back to the drawing-board .. even blind, deaf and dumb CCP employees would think twice about leaving balance in the hands of the inexperienced .. or rather I hope so.

I really really hope so, because t1 frigates need a buff as well otherwise. as stupid as it sounds to buff every frigate, at least it keeps the balance between their own size straight, and just makes them stronger against anything larger.

ps this af buff just made the destroyer buff largely redundant. only frigs that could take on destroyers before buff were AF's, so they buffed destroyers to fix this, now buffed AF's in respone... all this talk of buffing is crazy but wouldnt be necessary if not for this megabonused af ****
Alex Medvedov
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#673 - 2012-01-12 14:42:33 UTC
DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL wrote:
Alex Medvedov wrote:

to be honest, i wouldn't be asking for faction frigs to be buffed if AF's weren't just buffed. considering they are exactly the same price

Ok than, Iam not in favor of those changes anyway, but can we please stay focused on AFs?
Prometheus Exenthal
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#674 - 2012-01-12 15:00:47 UTC
@Hiranda
You must be completely obvious to the world to think that the Firetail can even compare to the Hookbill, Comet, or Slicer.
They aren't even in the same playing field. They are all just as tanky, have higher damage, and have better range projection. Even the TD Firetail (which is good) can't compete with that. I'm not saying the Firetail is awful, just that it's underpowered compared to its competitors. Even your corpmate agrees.

@Darkstar
The bonus number is relevant to the ships design. The Firetail for example gets 20% damage bonus (per level) to projectiles.
There is no other Minmatar ship (correct me if I'm wrong) with that bonus. The number is just a reflection of the design.

And don't go hating on that utility high on the Slicer! P
I know a few excellent pilots who use the ship as a super-Punisher and that slot is very much used.

As for the rest of your post, I really do think you Black Rebel guys just ignore posts.
If the AF buff were cancelled tomorrow, low tier T1 Frigates would still need to be looked at.
They need looking at. Period.

And as for Destroyers, they are still a handful for AFs.
Put one Destroyer in a fleet and it's going to do some serious damage to any frigate.
Put two Destroyers in a fleet and they're going to really hurt.
Even with the added slots the new AFs do NOT have a significant increase in tank size over what's currently possible.

Destroyers are entry level ships. If you can fly a Rifter, you can fly a Thrasher. All you need is the book.
They should not be able to simply lock and pop AFs without some stress.

m0cking bird
Doomheim
#675 - 2012-01-12 15:34:07 UTC
The problem with the Firetail is that it's to versatile. However, there are alot of lame boat set-ups for this ship. Like the one below (which can school a standard nichebill). You can have very large shield or armour tank set-ups. While being able to do 140 - 150 damage per second (without heat). Some pilots choose to go with alot of electronic warfare. Some pilots even roll with artillery. I'm honestly surprised @ the amount of setups pilots come up with for the Firetail (there are alot!). Point is. Firetail is a nice looking ship. However, it is no Federation Navy Comet or Imperial Navy Slicer, but it can spank them...

Firetail
Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II
200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I

1MN Afterburner II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I

200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
[empty high slot]

Small Auxiliary Thrusters I
Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

-proxyyyy
DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#676 - 2012-01-12 15:53:49 UTC  |  Edited by: DARKSTAR POWNYOUALL
m0cking bird wrote:
The problem with the Firetail is that it's to versatile. However, there are alot of lame boat set-ups for this ship. Like the one below (which can school a standard nichebill). You can have very large shield or armour tank set-ups. While being able to do 140 - 150 damage per second (without heat). Some pilots choose to go with alot of electronic warfare. Some pilots even roll with artillery. I'm honestly surprised @ the amount of setups pilots come up with for the Firetail (there are alot!). Point is. Firetail is a nice looking ship. However, it is no Federation Navy Comet or Imperial Navy Slicer, but it can spank them...

Firetail
Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II
200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I

1MN Afterburner II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

[empty high slot]

Small Auxiliary Thrusters I
Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

-proxyyyy

thats a bad fit not just for the auxiliry thrusters that hurts your armor, but also for the nano pump that boosts the rep time of a repper that you don't even have fitted

even if u did have a repper fitted an auxiliry PUMP would do more
Plutonian
Intransigent
#677 - 2012-01-12 16:32:17 UTC
Plutonian wrote:
You've yet to answer the question.
Are you proud of the way you act?

Right you are! No, I wouldn't use proud to describe it. But sometimes situations need a bit of douche.

Thank you.
Marian Devers
Rage and Terror
Against ALL Authorities
#678 - 2012-01-12 17:01:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Marian Devers
Just to be clear...

You want to buff AF. Then T1 Frigates and T1 Cruisers. Then the 3 Pirate Frigates (Where do you get 3? Worm, Succubus, and what else?).

Now, you must have forgotten, but since Navy Frigates are comparable to T1 Frigates (your own/CCP words), you'll have to buff them too. And I'm pretty sure Destroyers too, since they're balanced now, and hence won't be after the changes.
---
As far as I can tell, all this so that AF have a better chance of being able to kill T1 cruisers (which they already can given good pilot skill (not skillpoints) and non-trap fits) during the brief time window between the AF buff and T1 Cruiser changes.

This is the explanation for the slot/bonus changes, correct?

And what was the mwd bonus reason? "people will fly more of them in 0.0"?
Ninevite
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#679 - 2012-01-12 17:28:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Ninevite
Why are people complaining about AFs being potentially overpowered (they won't be) when no one made a peep about how the latest destroyer buffs totally made Arty Thrashers OP? Why am I still seeing a lot folks asking for even more Jaguar and Wolf love when they are already the best AFs? Please take your minmatar bullshit somewhere else and go stfu

Unless you fly AFs regularly, you won't know how useless they are now. They are too slow and die easily against anything besides another frigate...that is if the other frigate doesn't just run away. T1 destroyers can rip apart AFs now, making a Day 1 Newbie ship capable of killing even the best frigate pilots. Cruisers can simply neut frigs to death (oh except minmatar because of capless guns. But wait, minmatar need more buffs right? Righhhtt??). The only consistent targets I get in my Ishkur are other assault frigates, which are not that popular of course. AFs have absolutely no usage right now unless you happen to get lucky and stumble into a fight. They are basically on the same level of usefulness as t1 mining frigates, maybe even less as at least you can cyno in a t1 mining frigate without feeling guilty if you lose it

CCP please go through with some buffs on AFs. I think your idea to buff MWD (sucks ass because now we have two interceptor class ships (a balanced ab bonus or overheating bonuses would be much more useful and help diversify ship roles) , but I would take anything at this point to make AFs even a little more marginally useful. Everyone else complaining about AFs being OP, go lay face down in a bathtub
CobaltSixty
Fawkes' Loyal Professionals
#680 - 2012-01-12 17:30:59 UTC
Summary:

Retribution - needs 7.5% tracking per level. Lasers already have poor tracking and we don't need to set a new precedent now (first ship in the whole game with only 5% to tracking), that'll only get fixed later.

Vengeance - Does not need a DPS reduction. It brings up the back of the pack with ~151 DPS with faction rockets and is limited to within 10km. CPU pretty much prevents putting standard launchers on here and an overwhelming tank.

Harpy - Perfect.

Hawk - 7.5% to shield boost amount should stay. Again, it should not be the first ship with 5% instead of 7.5% to this amount. If it has to be different amount for balance's sake, it should be a different bonus altogether considering the Harpy's new tanking ability.

Enyo - Perfect, though it's about time they dropped the whole Enyo-is-a-Roden-ship thing. Red Incursus = cool, but increase to damage is so far opposite of Roden's philosophy. Tbh, I'm annoyed the Phobos doesn't use SOME missiles, but that's for another topic. Put your hands in the air for a Duvolle Enyo! \o/

Ishkur - Perfect.

Wolf - Still not sold on the 5th low vs a 3rd mid. I understand the whole idea is that it doesn't need a web so much with good damage projection, but why should the Wolf be WORSE than the Rifter in any way? The new Retribution has the same amount of mids as a Punisher, more highs and lows. Enyo has same amount of mids now as an Incursus, with more highs and lows. The Harpy has the same amount of mids as a Merlin, with more highs and lows. Wolf should have the same amount of mids as a Rifter, with more highs and lows. It's not rocket science.

Jaguar - It's losing a lot of ground with this patch. I think changing ONE of the damage bonii to a rate-of-fire would go a long way to helping it remain useful. RoF over damage would provide a net increase of 8% turret damage. Hardly gamebreaking.