These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Transporting Battleships

Author
Jacob Stiller
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-01-04 23:36:19 UTC
I've been investigating manufacturing the past couple of days and I've got to wonder how in the world battleship manufacturers transport their goods. Are freighters the only viable option?

Even battlecruisers are somewhat of a challenge. The best I could come up with EFT was a Inty V decked out in cargo rigs and modules which could transport only 2 at time and had a paper thin tank.

Do BC and BS manufactures tend to just wait the 1-2 weeks for a manufacturing slot to open on their trade hub?
Xearal
Dead's Prostitutes
The Initiative.
#2 - 2012-01-04 23:44:31 UTC
Freighters and carriers are your friends ;)

Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?

Ayn Randy
Home For Pugs
#3 - 2012-01-05 00:30:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Ayn Randy
You could also hire a freighter service to do the hauling for you!

If you cant fly one yourself, you are wasting your time with the Inty V going back and forth! Instead you could be sitting back and relaxing while someone else does all the dirty work.

Expensive you say? Well with all the spare time you have you could be out shooting rats, doing missions or just mining for your next job!
Jacob Stiller
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-01-05 00:30:21 UTC
Carriers wouldn't help in high sec, but out of curiosity, I decked out an Aeon in cargo rigs and modules in EFT. It only has 16135 m3 of cargo space. If you meant supercarrier/mothership, my alt's little trade empire certainly doesn't have resources rivaling one of the major nullsec alliances.

In the end, I'm wary of investing 800 million isk in a slow as hell ship that may as well have a giant bullseye painted on it. Not to mention that my alt hasn't even trained for an inty V yet and so is quite a ways away from piloting a freighter.
Jacob Stiller
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-01-05 00:30:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Jacob Stiller
duplicate post
SpaceSquirrels
#6 - 2012-01-05 00:40:44 UTC
You don't you make other mods that equal minerals and transport those and then make them at said location. Also another alternative is mineral compression.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/guides/business/battleship-packs
AmirKillalot
ShockGear
#7 - 2012-01-05 00:42:29 UTC
Hire a service or spend the 720mil (800 seems high shop around a bit) ive been piloting an obelisk for a while. they are faster than you would assume for that big of a ship it will do 65m/s and takes about 30 seconds to align and warp for the most part. They are a pain but when you can move 787m3 in one shot it can make it very worthwhile to own one and mine paid for itself in about 2 weeks. be cautious where you travel as in anywhere in eve. You generally wont be ganked in an obelisk in high sec, it does happen but you are for the most part left alone in your travels just no autopilot as it adds hours to your trip and danger you dont need in a ship you cant fit anything on.

for now use a transport service. yes they cost isk but not as much as a freighter and not as much as losing a freighter because you are unsafe with it.
Tasko Pal
Spallated Garniferous Schist
#8 - 2012-01-05 00:46:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Tasko Pal
Keep in mind that the ship maintenance bay of a carrier can usually carry a couple of bs. And that same bay can carry a lot of indies chock full of ammunition.

Rorqual is even better in that it also has an ore bay which can haul compressed ore.
Bath Sheeba
Another Success Story
#9 - 2012-01-05 00:56:48 UTC
Use Red Frog Freight http://red-frog.org/jumps.php

cheap depedable freight service....

and if your average haul costs 8mil isk, with 1bil in collateral, this means if they lose 1 load that is 125 trips at 8mil isk.......so they lose one they pay for themselves.
Dersk
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-01-05 01:00:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersk
Producing 50 maelstroms on one production slot (one week's worth, thereabouts) requires about 7 million m3 in minerals, 2.5 million m3 in final product, and costs something like 6.6 billion isk depending on where minerals are at the moment.

That's one production slot.

I would pay real money to see someone do that in an iteron. I'd even tip him if he did it because a freighter is too slow or too expensive just because of the irony.
Jacob Stiller
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-01-05 01:07:55 UTC
Well, keep in mind I'm in the very early stages of this. I've just acquired and started researching BPOs for a few carefully selected modules. It will be probably be a few weeks before I produce anything and that is only because I got lucky with one of the BPOs being quite overresearched.

I am contemplating acquiring and researching a BPO for a particular battleship. I would be interesting in learning more about how much a freight service charges. I would be looking to move an average of 7 battleships per day across 1 or 2 jumps. Of course, I would be open to scheduling this in periodic large batches. And, of course, I'd be expecting collateral before allowing you to cart off billions of isk of ships.

But again, it will likely be several months before this happens. I would need to raise capital to buy the BPO. Then I have to research the BPO and acquire capital to buy enough minerals to keep the production line running for, say, 2 weeks.

I'm not even sure if the battleship I'm thinking about would still give good isk/hour months from now, so this is all highly speculative. And I will almost certainly consider acquiring less ambitious BPOs before going for this.
Jacob Stiller
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-01-05 01:11:34 UTC
Dersk wrote:
To produce 50 maelstroms on one production slot (one week's worth, thereabouts) requires about 7 million m3 in minerals, 2.5 million m3 in final product, and costs something like 6.6 billion isk depending on where minerals are at the moment.

That's one production slot.

I would pay real money to see someone do that in an iteron. I'd even tip him if he did it because a freighter is too slow or too expensive just because of the irony.


Yeah, I haven't even looked at the mineral volume I'd need. Right now, I'm trying to manufacture rigs, which really don't require a huge bulk of material.
Jacob Stiller
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-01-05 01:25:00 UTC
Bath Sheeba wrote:
Use Red Frog Freight http://red-frog.org/jumps.php

cheap depedable freight service....

and if your average haul costs 8mil isk, with 1bil in collateral, this means if they lose 1 load that is 125 trips at 8mil isk.......so they lose one they pay for themselves.


Interesting. The fee isn't too bad but the collateral cap is way too low. You can fit 17 battleships into 860000 m3, which would be worth well over 1 billion. In fact, the collateral would probably be in the range of 2-3 billion. I guess I'd have to contact them and negotiate a custom contract.
Bath Sheeba
Another Success Story
#14 - 2012-01-05 01:28:59 UTC
Jacob Stiller wrote:
Bath Sheeba wrote:
Use Red Frog Freight http://red-frog.org/jumps.php

cheap depedable freight service....

and if your average haul costs 8mil isk, with 1bil in collateral, this means if they lose 1 load that is 125 trips at 8mil isk.......so they lose one they pay for themselves.


Interesting. The fee isn't too bad but the collateral cap is way too low. You can fit 17 battleships into 860000 m3, which would be worth well over 1 billion. In fact, the collateral would probably be in the range of 2-3 billion. I guess I'd have to contact them and negotiate a custom contract.



1bil isk is the general ceiling to avoid suicide ganks of freighters in high sec.
So, just divide up into <1bil blocks of ships.
Jacob Stiller
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-01-05 04:32:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Jacob Stiller
Bath Sheeba wrote:

1bil isk is the general ceiling to avoid suicide ganks of freighters in high sec.
So, just divide up into <1bil blocks of ships.


Yeah, I found that out while reading the fine print. So I'd just divide it into blocks worth 940-970 million, call the collateral at 1 billion, and come out slightly ahead if they are ganked eventually. If I can land a slot 1 jump away, the fee comes at just 0.089% of the value of the goods. If I have to go out 2 jumps, its still only 0.125%. Not anything that would stop me from doing this.

Might be preferable to use even in the long term instead of buying a freighter if you think of the fee as a sort of suicide gank insurance.
Czeris
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-01-05 10:22:02 UTC
If you're looking to transport only 7 battleships a day 1 or 2 jumps as you say, then just assemble them and pilot them one by one. Repackage them at the destination and put them on the market. It would be completely safe and cost you nothing, while taking maybe 10 minutes.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#17 - 2012-01-05 10:36:09 UTC
Jacob Stiller wrote:
Bath Sheeba wrote:
Use Red Frog Freight http://red-frog.org/jumps.php

cheap depedable freight service....

and if your average haul costs 8mil isk, with 1bil in collateral, this means if they lose 1 load that is 125 trips at 8mil isk.......so they lose one they pay for themselves.


Interesting. The fee isn't too bad but the collateral cap is way too low. You can fit 17 battleships into 860000 m3, which would be worth well over 1 billion. In fact, the collateral would probably be in the range of 2-3 billion. I guess I'd have to contact them and negotiate a custom contract.


They have a service called Blue Frog Freight for high collateral contracts, but it be Expensive like Wow.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#18 - 2012-01-05 13:17:04 UTC
Please check the costs on battleship construction. Bpos tend to run around 700 milking isk. If you have trouble justifying the fist of a freighter, you may have problems with the bpo cost.

Also, a raven bpo with an me level of 50 (which will take you a month or more to get) only nets 2 million or so isk profit. In other words, battleships generally are not a path to profitibility.

A blavkbirds bpo is far cheaper, at 50 me nets you 500k profit, and well... You could build a fair amount of blavkbirds cruisers for the cost of a raven.

A cyno field generator bpo at 50 me may take more skills to research and manufacture, but nets almost a million isk profit per module, and that assumes jita sell prices. If you sell them close to low or nul, you can make more profit.

So to sum all this up, don't go for the expensive ships. The profit isn't necessarily there. Instead, find a niche and fill it. You will do far better.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#19 - 2012-01-05 13:22:07 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:


So to sum all this up, don't go for the expensive ships. The profit isn't necessarily there. Instead, find a niche and fill it. You will do far better.


This. The Battleship market is small enough that it's dominated by old, established manufacturers with highly researched BPOs that have paid for themselves many times over.

That said, another reliable freight service is Push Industries.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Velicitia
XS Tech
#20 - 2012-01-05 18:30:59 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
Please check the costs on battleship construction. Bpos tend to run around 700 milking isk. If you have trouble justifying the fist of a freighter, you may have problems with the bpo cost.

Also, a raven bpo with an me level of 50 (which will take you a month or more to get) only nets 2 million or so isk profit. In other words, battleships generally are not a path to profitibility.

A blavkbirds bpo is far cheaper, at 50 me nets you 500k profit, and well... You could build a fair amount of blavkbirds cruisers for the cost of a raven.

A cyno field generator bpo at 50 me may take more skills to research and manufacture, but nets almost a million isk profit per module, and that assumes jita sell prices. If you sell them close to low or nul, you can make more profit.

So to sum all this up, don't go for the expensive ships. The profit isn't necessarily there. Instead, find a niche and fill it. You will do far better.



this, but your numbers are wrong. BS takes ~30 days to get 12 ME (in a POS, L5 skills, no implants). You're looking at 4 months and a few days to get ME 50. Not to mention having 700m - 1.5b tied up in a single print (note to the OP, it's a capital investment, so the money's not gone... just not liquid) that you can't do anything with.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

12Next page