These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

why are skills locked for alpha clones?

Author
winterblitz Crendraven
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1 - 2017-06-16 15:41:12 UTC
i understand that battle ships and carriers are locked and playing with a navy cruiser is fine but why when my omega runs out all of my omega skills get locked? atleast let me keep those skills that i have already trained and why is it seperate in the first place it only leads to frustration if you fight an omega as an alpha and you both have the same ship the omega will always win becuase he does like 10% more damage or has 5% more shield or better drones why arent just the ships locked but all the skills are accesible and why lock my skills lets say ive been playing since 2008 im not but just for example i left the game for 1 year and now i come back only to find all my stuff locked behind a paywall if you payed for 1 year thats more than 100$ why dont you get permanent omega you already paid ccp enough and alot of people probaly wont reach this point
Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#2 - 2017-06-16 15:47:55 UTC
Because those are the limitations of playing for free as an alpha. If you want more, pay for omega.

Or, get another few alpha characters, and then pick a fight with a solo omega.
Sequester Risalo
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2017-06-16 15:48:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Sequester Risalo
winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
why are skills locked for alpha clones?


Because CCP needs to pay their developers and therefore requires some sort of revenue stream.
Wander Prian
Nosferatu Security Foundation
#4 - 2017-06-16 15:48:51 UTC
Eve is still a subscription-game. Alpha is more like unlimited trial. If you want access to all skills, pay the subscription.

Wormholer for life.

SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#5 - 2017-06-16 15:50:15 UTC
WTF did I just read?

Skill limitations are so central to the concept of the alpha clone that you may as well be asking why water is wet.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

winterblitz Crendraven
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#6 - 2017-06-16 15:52:28 UTC
i understand that ccp needs to make money but and im no expert they must be making alot more than they actually need it just feels like its a tiny bit pay to win as an alpha clone is no match for an omega one and wont it give new players a bad expirience to get rekt without being capable of fighting back with a chance to win
winterblitz Crendraven
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#7 - 2017-06-16 15:53:14 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
WTF did I just read?

Skill limitations are so central to the concept of the alpha clone that you may as well be asking why water is wet.

perhaps but why is water wet? honestly i dont know
Sol epoch
HELVEGEN
#8 - 2017-06-16 15:57:03 UTC
winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
WTF did I just read?

Skill limitations are so central to the concept of the alpha clone that you may as well be asking why water is wet.

perhaps but why is water wet? honestly i dont know


You have just confirmed there is no accounting for stupid in this world!
Keno Skir
#9 - 2017-06-16 16:36:42 UTC
winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
atleast let me keep those skills that i have already trained and why is it seperate in the first place it only leads to frustration if you fight an omega as an alpha and you both have the same ship the omega will always win becuase he does like 10% more damage or has 5% more shield or better drones why arent just the ships locked but all the skills are accesible and why lock my skills lets say ive been playing since 2008 im not but just for example i left the game for 1 year and now i come back only to find all my stuff locked behind a paywall if you payed for 1 year thats more than 100$ why dont you get permanent omega you already paid ccp enough and alot of people probaly wont reach this point


winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
i understand that ccp needs to make money but and im no expert they must be making alot more than they actually need it just feels like its a tiny bit pay to win as an alpha clone is no match for an omega one and wont it give new players a bad expirience to get rekt without being capable of fighting back with a chance to win


Mate, this -> . <- is a Full Stop or Period (depending where you're from). Train it to at least LvL1 then start grinding Capital Letters to at least 3.

Skills are locked out because it's a subscription game. You aren't buying any skills with your subscription money, you are buying ACCESS to the skills. Of course there's a "paywall" in a free trial, or who would sub?
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#10 - 2017-06-16 16:52:12 UTC
I'm starting a pool.

Leave your guesses here for when you think the OP will change corps to Doomheim.

Send 25M ISK to me with the title "Pool". I'll let you know when you win...really.

Mr Epeen Cool
Aedaxus
Country House
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2017-06-16 17:04:41 UTC
winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
"they must be making alot more than they actually need"

LOL.

You should too, then pay for the game. There, problem solved.
Dark Lord Trump
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2017-06-16 17:08:27 UTC
winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
i understand that ccp needs to make money but and im no expert they must be making alot more than they actually need it just feels like its a tiny bit pay to win as an alpha clone is no match for an omega one and wont it give new players a bad expirience to get rekt without being capable of fighting back with a chance to win

1. That "making alot more than they actually need" is called "profit." It is what businesses are usually set up to acquire.
2. It's not pay to win. A bad omega clone will lose to a good alpha.

I'm going to build a big wall that will keep the Gallente out, and they're going to pay for it!

JC Mieyli
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2017-06-16 18:35:29 UTC
basicacally its a game of sink or swim
you chose to sink
Thomas Lot
Spatial Forces
Warped Intentions
#14 - 2017-06-16 22:05:28 UTC
winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
i understand that battle ships and carriers are locked and playing with a navy cruiser is fine but why when my omega runs out all of my omega skills get locked? atleast let me keep those skills that i have already trained and why is it seperate in the first place it only leads to frustration if you fight an omega as an alpha and you both have the same ship the omega will always win becuase he does like 10% more damage or has 5% more shield or better drones why arent just the ships locked but all the skills are accesible and why lock my skills lets say ive been playing since 2008 im not but just for example i left the game for 1 year and now i come back only to find all my stuff locked behind a paywall if you payed for 1 year thats more than 100$ why dont you get permanent omega you already paid ccp enough and alot of people probaly wont reach this point


Because it's Alpha. If you want to play the full game, then pay for it like all the rest of us legitimate players.

Alphas should not be a part of the game.
Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#15 - 2017-06-16 22:29:58 UTC
This is a troll thread. I hope.

You're paying $0/mo, and you feel you aren't getting your $0/mo worth from the game?
Mark Marconi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2017-06-16 23:13:09 UTC
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
This is a troll thread. I hope.

You're paying $0/mo, and you feel you aren't getting your $0/mo worth from the game?

Well there are overheads such as power and the internet.

Plus lets not forget the opportunity cost of actually paying for an omega.

The CSM gets in the way of CCP communicating properly with the players of this game.

After all we are not just players, we are customers.

Time for the CSM to be disbanded.

Tuttomenui II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2017-06-17 05:50:57 UTC
winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
they must be making alot more than they actually need


This kind of thinking is what is wrong with the world.

"This bank surly has more money than they need, I think I shall make a withdrawal, at night, by force."

"Surely this elderly women has more purses than she needs, I think I shall do her a favor and take this one, by force."

Extremes but they get my point across.

Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#18 - 2017-06-17 06:42:38 UTC
winterblitz Crendraven wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
WTF did I just read?

Skill limitations are so central to the concept of the alpha clone that you may as well be asking why water is wet.

perhaps but why is water wet? honestly i dont know


More interesting than the thread. OP needs an answer to this pressing issue.

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#19 - 2017-06-17 08:30:19 UTC
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#20 - 2017-06-17 10:08:21 UTC
That's a ShockedShockedShockedShocked/ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked for me.

Remove standings and insurance.

12Next page