These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE-Monument in Reykjavik in a bad state

First post First post
Author
Pix Severus
Empty You
#41 - 2017-06-13 01:39:50 UTC
mkint wrote:
Why did they not make it from stainless steel?

The same decision-making that saw Dust 514 released exclusively on PS3.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#42 - 2017-06-13 01:46:54 UTC
All the more reason they should have. Restoration for stuff like that can cost a ***** and a half to pay for.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#43 - 2017-06-13 03:30:30 UTC
What would preserve the name plates? Stainless steel? Acrylic that can be buffed periodically?
mkint
#44 - 2017-06-13 04:35:11 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
What would preserve the name plates? Stainless steel? Acrylic that can be buffed periodically?

Ideally a monument is zero maintenance. That's why bronze plaques are made of bronze, for the corrosion resistance. Any kind of plastic or paint would need regular maintenance, even the best are vulnerable to UV and oxidation. In any setting I can think of, if there's a chance of corrosion you either galvanize, paint, or use stainless or bronze, but never aluminum. I suppose titanium also would have been a successful option.

For now though? It's doomed. imo, it was a dumb idea from the beginning. Probably not worth fixing. They got their marketing out of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if icelandic tax dollars helped pay for it. So... sucks to be icelandic?

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#45 - 2017-06-13 06:16:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
mkint wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:

Ideally a monument is zero maintenance. That's why bronze plaques are made of bronze, for the corrosion resistance. Any kind of plastic or paint would need regular maintenance, even the best are vulnerable to UV and oxidation. In any setting I can think of, if there's a chance of corrosion you either galvanize, paint, or use stainless or bronze, but never aluminum. I suppose titanium also would have been a successful option.

For now though? It's doomed. imo, it was a dumb idea from the beginning. Probably not worth fixing. They got their marketing out of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if icelandic tax dollars helped pay for it. So... sucks to be icelandic?

You know, Iceland is famous for the makeshift when doing something.

One of CCP devs explained that in a short interview. There is even photo with monument. Big smile
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#46 - 2017-06-13 07:03:21 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:

Bronze or stainless steel would work. Bronze is the real deal, it is known to resist thousands of years, whereas stainless steel works fine unless it contacts rusty iron/steel, as that will cause spot rusting and if large enough can lead to corrosion.

The problem is cost, bronze is really expensive and engraving it is even more expensive, whereas laser engraving stainless steel is something that probably CCP couldn't find in Iceland.

Anyway we're talking the company that buried a laptop with a bunch of videos in a SSD as "time capsule" at that very monument.

Yes, you read that right, a SSD.
Caldari Phantom
We Got Beer
#47 - 2017-06-13 07:29:23 UTC
You would need stainless steel 316 grade then.. Regular wont do. Anyway lots of hate in here :) Let the monument age in style! It needs some battlescars, no biggie.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#48 - 2017-06-13 07:47:18 UTC
I never seen these plates as something cool or fascinating, these are small letters, I would rather see there something I can identify with, a capsule. Real capsule, not some geometric shapes nobody really understands.
Avaelica Kuershin
Paper Cats
#49 - 2017-06-13 08:21:50 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
.... (hurf blurf)

Most ironically amusing post considering some of your EVE related posts.
ISD Stall
ISD STAR
ISD Alliance
#50 - 2017-06-13 08:25:56 UTC
Quote:
7. Discussion of real life religion and politics is prohibited.

Discussion of real life religion and politics is strictly prohibited on the EVE Online forums. Discussions of this nature often creates animosity between forum users due to real life political or military conflicts. CCP promotes the growth of a gaming community where equality is at the forefront. Nationalist, religious or political affiliations are not part of EVE Online, and should not be part of discussion on the EVE Online forums.

8. Use of profanity is prohibited.

The use of profanity is prohibited on the EVE Online forums. This includes the partial masking of letters using numbers or alternate symbols, and any attempts at bypassing the profanity filter.

Posts have been removed in accordance with the rules above.
Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#51 - 2017-06-13 09:08:01 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Caldari Phantom wrote:
Its gonna be funny in a few hundred years time, when humanity forgets what that monument was for.
In a few hundred years Iceland will have become the new Atlantis. A rumor from the time before the icecaps melted.

That monument will be the least of the things forgotten.

Mr Epeen Cool

Since this became a bit of a topic, what scholarly articles did you use to come to this conclusion?

Or are you no better than those evangelicals you referred to earlier?

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#52 - 2017-06-13 09:22:21 UTC
I sense some blame on CCP. The way I imagine it went down is they paid a vendor who designed it. I doubt it was CCP who specified 2mm aluminum plating or whatever that is. I mean, I'm sure they thought they were paying for something that would last. They just cut the check.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#53 - 2017-06-13 09:27:28 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
It was made from something that oxidizes? lol cool

This sounds very flippant. I said this as someone who has worked for a contractor, and I know how disconnected a vendor can be from the customer. and how likely they are to cut costs
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#54 - 2017-06-13 12:33:45 UTC
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#55 - 2017-06-13 13:06:05 UTC
clap clap ccp well done or well played?
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#56 - 2017-06-13 14:05:01 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
I never seen these plates as something cool or fascinating, these are small letters, I would rather see there something I can identify with, a capsule. Real capsule, not some geometric shapes nobody really understands.

You mean the head, and the monolith, with a mirror between them, so they see their own reflection when they look at each other?

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#57 - 2017-06-13 15:00:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
http://www.magnusmundi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/monumento-eve-islandia_003.jpg

If that is a head, I am really worried about artist. The monolith looks like nothing from EVE, only this mirror looks more like monolith in Dead End. From all those shapes that had to symbolize something, the monolith/mirror shape looks like is the most appealing and somewhat tied to New Eden, but it is boring shape, all of them are boring, no work was put into it overall.

Capsule on the other hand is very nice in shape and they could have put it with exhaust facing down. Bronze capsule would look very alien to anyone, but familiar at the same time to EVE players.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#58 - 2017-06-13 15:16:05 UTC
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#59 - 2017-06-13 15:43:55 UTC
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#60 - 2017-06-13 16:34:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Something like that. I could hang around it all day long. There is life in it. Its organic and metal at the same time. Its friggin' capsule that saves your life when somebody blows up your ship. It have meaning for every capsuleer and the rest can see it as an egg. That is symbolic egg for a capsuleer. Hard shell, delicate inside.