These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Why has VR not taken off?

Author
Malaclypse Muscaria
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2017-05-26 15:12:20 UTC
As far as I'm concerned, it comes down to VR currently being an overpriced gimmick.

I'd like mess around with it someday, but I don't see how I will spend extended periods of time gaming with it, wearing some clunky device on my head that cuts me off from the surrounding world: I like to relax when I game, I enjoy listening to my own music, or watch / listen in the background to some videos or podcasts. Also while I'm gaming, my dogs come around once in a while looking for some play time, or my wife with whatever, so I don't see how full immersion for long periods of time will work with me - not to mention that sounds pretty draining.

OTOH, none of the games I currently enjoy playing support VR, or even lend themselves to it, given the complexity of the UI or controls. The closest would be perhaps Warthunder: if and when Warthunder properly supports VR, then I will consider it.

All in all, VR for now just comes across as a gimmick I would only use sparingly, which does not justify the current price, and as the OP points out, with time it will only get cheaper and hopefully much better / less clunky.
Blade Darth
Room for Improvement
Good Sax
#22 - 2017-05-26 22:01:17 UTC
Yiole Gionglao wrote:
LOL, that would be amazing... and maybe scary.
Would need an adblocker but yea... cool.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#23 - 2017-06-14 19:33:30 UTC
https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-e3-xbox-one-x-vr/?mbid=social_twitter

They talk about "umbillical" cord. Supposedly that Is why VR is not getting anywhere. But they fail to acknowledge the rest. Even the largest storefront in the world will not do VR or "mixed reality" any favour. Its just a gimmick.
Yiole Gionglao
#24 - 2017-06-14 22:32:28 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-e3-xbox-one-x-vr/?mbid=social_twitter

They talk about "umbillical" cord. Supposedly that Is why VR is not getting anywhere. But they fail to acknowledge the rest. Even the largest storefront in the world will not do VR or "mixed reality" any favour. Its just a gimmick.

Seriously... who's still gonna want VR by 2020? What VR? Who's betting on developing must-have titles for it? And on what platform? Who's waiting-and-seeing about VR technology?

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an alpha / And so it's you

The Devils Cousin
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2017-06-15 05:01:38 UTC
VR will never take off, the cost involved is to high, for the makers and the families.

1. I am not spending £300 on a single headset module when I have 6 children and a wife to support.
2. 5/10 people suffer from motion sickness.
3. What games are on VR that you want to see? Or even play?
4. If I play overwatch and want to look around, move the damn controller, not your head.

VR is a gimmick that has failed. No one has the money or room in their houses to use this stuff and the videos we did on Valkyrie, even Neo regrets buying it

CCP Please Don't Do This..

The Respawn Expansion

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2017-06-16 07:43:37 UTC
HMDs make you sick when your inner ear disagrees with your vision. Maybe in five minutes, maybe in twenty, but if anyone tells you otherwise they have skin in the game.

The best format for HMDs is where your body is meant to be seated AND the appropriate G forces can be simulated believably. Basically a full-body virtual reality experience, either in a moving / shifting room or at least the chair you are seated in.

Augmented reality, in my opinion, has longer legs than VR because you get to remain in your surroundings and it can become useful or entertaining at the same time. For example I think an AR device that uses a smartphone could transform the road trip experience for a passenger into something fun. I don't know how quickly phones can transform what they see, but there are elements on roads that are very consistent, such as signs. With the consistent shape of road signs the camera can also infer perspective. There's a lot you can do with that.

If anything restricts new AR technology it's price and a segmented market.

Personally I think the foam setups for smartphones are the surest bet. Your smartphone is a computer, with power, a processor, memory, a display... a miniature laptop, and you upgrade it every couple years anyway. So being a combination of hardware you already own and augmenting rather than replacing your senses, I think they're the best chance of any of this sticking around.
Yiole Gionglao
#27 - 2017-06-16 13:43:50 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
HMDs make you sick when your inner ear disagrees with your vision. Maybe in five minutes, maybe in twenty, but if anyone tells you otherwise they have skin in the game.

The best format for HMDs is where your body is meant to be seated AND the appropriate G forces can be simulated believably. Basically a full-body virtual reality experience, either in a moving / shifting room or at least the chair you are seated in.

Augmented reality, in my opinion, has longer legs than VR because you get to remain in your surroundings and it can become useful or entertaining at the same time. For example I think an AR device that uses a smartphone could transform the road trip experience for a passenger into something fun. I don't know how quickly phones can transform what they see, but there are elements on roads that are very consistent, such as signs. With the consistent shape of road signs the camera can also infer perspective. There's a lot you can do with that.

If anything restricts new AR technology it's price and a segmented market.

Personally I think the foam setups for smartphones are the surest bet. Your smartphone is a computer, with power, a processor, memory, a display... a miniature laptop, and you upgrade it every couple years anyway. So being a combination of hardware you already own and augmenting rather than replacing your senses, I think they're the best chance of any of this sticking around.

I too think that AR haves a longer road ahead, specially since M$ is heavily invested in professional uses of it that can sustain the development of recreational devices/applications. Unlike Google Labs VR researches which are downright insane...

Also as a video game developer, if you were to ask money to investors, you'd tell them you're making the next Pokemon Go!, not "VR doesn't haves a killer app yet, but mine sure will...".

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an alpha / And so it's you

Previous page12