These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

"Gallente" - with sources!

Author
Valerie Valate
Church of The Crimson Saviour
#21 - 2017-05-11 05:04:04 UTC
The article is comprehensively referenced, and makes a strong argument.

As an opinion piece, it is very good. As an academic piece, the conversational tone goes against convention, which would result in a penalty to grading.

Overall: ★★★☆☆

Doctor V. Valate, Professor of Archaeology at Kaztropolis Imperial University.

Auriga Menkalinan
Chatelain Auxiliary Response
Intaki-Business Logistics Union
#22 - 2017-05-11 12:26:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Auriga Menkalinan
Thank you for your interesting post. I agree with your main point.

Tressith Sefira wrote:
The word Gallente doesn't mean anything. No, you think it does, but it does not - and it especially doesn't mean anything to the people or ideas you're labelling as "Gallente."

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but this point does not seem to me to sit naturally with your later statements about homogenised culture on Gallentia and in the wider Federation.

If our culture is so uniform, doesn't that undermine your argument? I would suggest that our cultural diversity is the primary reason why your main point is true.

A culture is much more than political and social values and, as your main reference document states, local cultures can coexist harmoniously within a common, overarching ideology. Or, as you say, there are restaurants to consider!

Thanks again, more of the same please.
Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Yequn Quiet Pills
#23 - 2017-05-30 22:00:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Tressith Sefira wrote:


The word Gallente doesn't mean anything. No, you think it does, but it does not - and it especially doesn't mean anything to the people or ideas you're labelling as "Gallente."



Now dear, that's just rude. Jason Galente means nothing? He might not to you, but he will forever be the mischievous rogue and rakish ne'er do 'ell to me!

That said, when the Gallente introduced themselves on the interplanetary stage they did so as Gallente. The Gallente even formed a committee, the ISC, to determine if they should be Gallente or something else and upon taking a vote the Gallente decided that if they wanted to be referred to by anything collectively then it would be Gallente. As such the Gallente decided upon their own initiative that they would all be Gallente from that point on and if others decide to call the Gallente the Gallente then I am unsure why Gallente would be offended being Gallente when they are, in fact, Gallente by virtue of their own decision to be the Gallente?

Now there might be more to being Gallente than just a Gallente, at least if you abide by the maxim: Just because I'm Gallente does not mean I believe in labels like Gallente. However in Interstellar Gallente the definition of Gallente is usually described as related to the peoples and nations of Gallente Prime or if you prefer Gallentia; associated with the member-states of the Gallente Federation; someone who identifies as culturally or racially Gallente.

I'm pretty sure according to the Gallente themselves when I label something Gallente then it's Gallente. Especially when using Interstellar Gallente which is used by the Gallente in the Gallente Federation among other Gallente languages.

Kurilaivonen|Concern

Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#24 - 2017-05-31 05:08:25 UTC
I don't even know what I am anymore.....

A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#25 - 2017-05-31 05:37:13 UTC
Claudia Osyn wrote:
I don't even know what I am anymore.....

Gallente

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Halcyon Ember
Repracor Industries
#26 - 2017-05-31 07:50:12 UTC
Claudia Osyn wrote:
I don't even know what I am anymore.....

A capsuleer. Or, in lay terms, someone with the freedom to identify however you wish and damn what anyone thinks.

Queen of Chocolate

Charles Cambridge Schmidt
Nadire Security Consultants
#27 - 2017-05-31 09:22:56 UTC
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:


Now dear, that's just rude. Jason Galente means nothing? He might not to you, but he will forever be the mischievous rogue and rakish ne'er do 'ell to me!

That said, when the Gallente introduced themselves on the interplanetary stage they did so as Gallente. The Gallente even formed a committee, the ISC, to determine if they should be Gallente or something else and upon taking a vote the Gallente decided that if they wanted to be referred to by anything collectively then it would be Gallente. As such the Gallente decided upon their own initiative that they would all be Gallente from that point on and if others decide to call the Gallente the Gallente then I am unsure why Gallente would be offended being Gallente when they are, in fact, Gallente by virtue of their own decision to be the Gallente?

Now there might be more to being Gallente than just a Gallente, at least if you abide by the maxim: Just because I'm Gallente does not mean I believe in labels like Gallente. However in Interstellar Gallente the definition of Gallente is usually described as related to the peoples and nations of Gallente Prime or if you prefer Gallentia; associated with the member-states of the Gallente Federation; someone who identifies as culturally or racially Gallente.

I'm pretty sure according to the Gallente themselves when I label something Gallente then it's Gallente. Especially when using Interstellar Gallente which is used by the Gallente in the Gallente Federation among other Gallente languages.


Aside from the tongue-in-cheek tone of this whole thing, one thing you are / have misinterpreted are political and ethnic definitions of what it means to be Gallente. While there is definitely a political definition of Gallente referring to the Federation as a whole vis a vis saying they're a Federal citizen, there's a critical implication that's understood to other Federal citizens in the fact that calling a Federal citizen blanket-Gallente is silly.

Not only to we got Intaki, Jin-Mei, lots of Mannar, but we have citizens of every ethnicity from every nation in vast quantities. They are, politically, Gallente. Ethnically or even ethically, the rate of deviation in the definition of "Gallente" is too extreme to properly blanket-quantify the populace as Gallente. And... that's just the people who are actually Federal citizens. There's the "Gallente" ethnicity everywhere. We're in your Civire. We're in your Sebbie. We're everywhere.

That being said, even for those who DO identify as Gallente, as Triss said, there's too much to go off. Identification is dependent on location as well as genetics as well as culture and more and more and more factors. Even at the most basic, people forget that the Kingdom of Garoun even exists. No amount of repeating the word "Gallente" for snarky comedic impact will change the fact that people are overly generalizing.

I don't care what you think, as long as it's about me.

Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#28 - 2017-05-31 09:30:38 UTC
So, we should be calling you guys as 'Mongrels' and 'Semi-Mongrels' instead?

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Davlos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2017-05-31 12:57:03 UTC
A charmer as always, Cutestable Sefira.
Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#30 - 2017-05-31 14:26:21 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Claudia Osyn wrote:
I don't even know what I am anymore.....

Gallente

But, what even is that anymore?

A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Halcyon Ember
Repracor Industries
#31 - 2017-05-31 16:26:57 UTC
Claudia Osyn wrote:
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
Claudia Osyn wrote:
I don't even know what I am anymore.....

Gallente

But, what even is that anymore?

According to Charles, everything. Or Nothing.

Queen of Chocolate

Charles Cambridge Schmidt
Nadire Security Consultants
#32 - 2017-05-31 17:27:43 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:
So, we should be calling you guys as 'Mongrels' and 'Semi-Mongrels' instead?



Only if I get to call you the same.

In honesty, calling me Gallente is fine. That's my nation that I live in. I'd prefer being called a Federal, but you can't always get what you want.

I don't care what you think, as long as it's about me.

Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Yequn Quiet Pills
#33 - 2017-05-31 18:27:33 UTC
Charles Cambridge Schmidt wrote:
No amount of repeating the word "Gallente" for snarky comedic impact will change the fact that people are overly generalizing.


Yes, Gallente is an overly generalized word but the point is it is one that can be both quite general and quite specific -- it all depends on user, context, and intent as to what is meant.

It's just one of those things humans do once they learn object permanence and start doing informal set theory: abstract concepts like "Gallente" are given properties and attributes much like anything and everything else in the mental Venn diagrams.

Now as a broad identifier does, "Gallente" lack some semblance of informational complexity or specificity in and of itself? Sure, why not, but it's really no different to say, "Minmatar", "Amarr", or "Caldari" in terms of broad racial, cultural, and political descriptors people use. Those who use it or consider it for themselves will have a more complex and specific concept of what those words mean and what they apply to than those who don't. Outsiders will likely apply stereotypes as they think they fit.

Societies, cultures and civilizations are more complex than just a single word and associated stereotypes?

Well of course?

But on the count of being pots and kettles casting stones in glass houses about ignoring the underlying complexities of differing societal, cultural, racial, ethnic, religious or political narratives in favour of stereotypes that diminish and trivialize then we're pretty much all guilty of hypocrisy as far as I can tell.

Kurilaivonen|Concern

Halcyon Ember
Repracor Industries
#34 - 2017-05-31 19:01:07 UTC
I agree with ms Gesakaarin.
I'm going to go and lie down.

Queen of Chocolate

Previous page12