These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

What does FULL API KEY IN YOUR APPLICATION Mean?

Author
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#21 - 2017-05-01 00:28:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Nardos Tatio wrote:
I don't care what you think about it but my data belong to me,not to a corperation (facebook(no acount here)) or an online generated key that can be used in a way i can't control.....

LOL.

All your characters data is owned by CCP. You don't own any of it. You even agreed that you don't own any of it and even if you create an API, the information doesn't come from you. It comes from CCP. CCP is a corporation and they can already choose to use or provide that information anyway they like.
Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#22 - 2017-05-01 00:30:21 UTC
Do Little wrote:
Generally the recruiter will give you a link that includes the API mask they want. A lot of corporations will want an account wide API - i.e. they want to know all characters on the account - not just the character applying to join.

It's similar to the resume you provide when applying for a real world job. The meta game in Eve is arguably more important than the actual game so spying is a profession and the API check is basic due diligence to reduce the likelihood of recruiting an enemy.

If someone doesn't do API and thinks you are a spy but wont actually kick you out, it becomes a passive aggressive stress out. No trust means no interaction.

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Djsaeu
Doomheim
#23 - 2017-05-01 06:02:37 UTC
If you are unwilling to trust the Corp. you want to join, by all means do not give the API key. But remember trust is a 2 way street, if you do not trust them why would they trust you?
Nardos Tatio
Doomheim
#24 - 2017-05-01 07:06:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Nardos Tatio
As i said before.....no digital panties down here in any way and on the other side i don't demand "let me join".....

ME...

Not everyone......

I'm not on a "holy mission" to show everyone how dangerous the internet is and that your data is yours......those who are willingly giving away their data to facebook and co should do this....but no one should blame me for not understanding and criticizing it....

Too much data is given away today and way too much is sold to and by corps that make money with it without your permission....

And YES...every bit of(personal) data belongs to ME not CCP or any other corperation regardless what is written in a contract of any sort.....

I'm responsible for it and i'm not willing to give it away to everyone......
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#25 - 2017-05-01 07:13:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Nardos Tatio wrote:
And YES...every bit of(personal) data belongs to ME not CCP or any other corperation regardless what is written in a contract of any sort.....

Data available on your character through the API does not contain any information that is personally identifying to you as a player, only information about your characters and no, none of it belongs to you. It all belongs to CCP as you agreed when you agreed to the EULA.

Specifically:

A. Communications

... You acknowledge and agree that you have no expectation of privacy regarding communications you make in the Game, whether through private in-Game messaging, during chat, or in chat rooms. ...

and more importantly:

B. Rights to Certain Content

...Your Account, and all attributes of your Account, including all corporations, actions, groups, titles and characters, and all objects, currency and items acquired, developed or delivered by or to characters as a result of play through your Accounts, are the sole and exclusive property of CCP,...

Without limiting its rights in any way, and subject to the other terms of the EULA, CCP shall have the right to display and publish any information (except certain personal information in your Account) relating to any character in your Account, for example, in charts, lists and other compilations, without notice or any compensation to you whatsoever.

An API only gives access to information that CCP already own and could freely publish at any time without your permission. It's great (both personally and for the metagame) that they allow us to control access to certain information, but that doesn't mean it belongs to us. It still belongs to CCP and they have no restrictions on what they can do with it.
Nardos Tatio
Doomheim
#26 - 2017-05-01 07:19:28 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Nardos Tatio wrote:

Data available on your character through the API does not contain any information that is personally identifying to you as a player, only information about your characters and no, none of it belongs to you. It all belongs to CCP as you agreed when you agreed to the EULA.

Specifically:

A. Communications

... You acknowledge and agree that you have no expectation of privacy regarding communications you make in the Game, whether through private in-Game messaging, during chat, or in chat rooms. ...

and more importantly:

B. Rights to Certain Content

...Your Account, and all attributes of your Account, including all corporations, actions, groups, titles and characters, and all objects, currency and items acquired, developed or delivered by or to characters as a result of play through your Accounts, are the sole and exclusive property of CCP,...

Without limiting its rights in any way, and subject to the other terms of the EULA, CCP shall have the right to display and publish any information (except certain personal information in your Account) relating to any character in your Account, for example, in charts, lists and other compilations, without notice or any compensation to you whatsoever.

I'm talking about personal,not character data..... slight but remarkable difference.....

And yes i know that the API does not show "personal" data but - in my eyes- that makes no difference.....this is data regarding MY behaviour in the game and that's something any other person has not to care about.......

But i confess that this is something basically,not eve specific..... :-)
Magnus Jax
#27 - 2017-05-01 07:27:32 UTC
Nardos Tatio wrote:
I'm talking about personal,not character data..... slight but remarkable difference.....

And yes i know that the API does not show "personal" data but - in my eyes- that makes no difference.....this is data regarding MY behaviour in the game and that's something any other person has not to care about.......

This is on the EVE forums about the EVE API, why are you even in this conversation.
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#28 - 2017-05-01 07:28:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Nardos Tatio wrote:

Which has absolutely zip to do with this thread. It isn't at all relevant to this discussion.

Neither is Facebook relevant to this discussion in any way at all.

You can safely give API information to Corporations in game and it does not in any way expose your personal player information. As to exposing your behaviour, you already don't own that information. CCP does and can do with it what they want.
Nardos Tatio
Doomheim
#29 - 2017-05-01 08:19:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Nardos Tatio
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Nardos Tatio wrote:

Which has absolutely zip to do with this thread. It isn't at all relevant to this discussion.

Neither is Facebook relevant to this discussion in any way at all.

You can safely give API information to Corporations in game and it does not in any way expose your personal player information. As to exposing your behaviour, you already don't own that information. CCP does and can do with it what they want.

Well it IS part of this post as far as i refuse ANY form of data collecting via API key and -sry for your unconvinience- but my opinion counts as much as yours.

Facebook is an example for a data collecting kraken and therefore IS relevant in this post and HAS to do with API Key as another example of what should not be in my opinion....

So calm down and listen to what i wrote and don't try to troll me.....
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#30 - 2017-05-01 08:52:32 UTC
lol @ all the newbs that don't know what the feck they are talking about.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#31 - 2017-05-01 08:55:09 UTC
Nardos Tatio wrote:
As i said before.....no digital panties down here in any way and on the other side i don't demand "let me join".....

ME...

Not everyone......

I'm not on a "holy mission" to show everyone how dangerous the internet is and that your data is yours......those who are willingly giving away their data to facebook and co should do this....but no one should blame me for not understanding and criticizing it....

Too much data is given away today and way too much is sold to and by corps that make money with it without your permission....

you need to read the EULA. Roll

Nardos Tatio
Doomheim
#32 - 2017-05-01 09:24:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Nardos Tatio
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Nardos Tatio wrote:

ME...

Not everyone......

you need to read the EULA. Roll

As i said....contracts don't change my opinion...... :-)

So this is no argument against it.....:-)

And afaik CCP is not forcing anyone to use the API key.....and even if they would......my opinion stays as it is.....
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#33 - 2017-05-01 09:28:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Nardos Tatio wrote:
Well it IS part of this post as far as i refuse ANY form of data collecting via API key and -sry for your unconvinience- but my opinion counts as much as yours.

You can't refuse it except by not playing.

It's not your data to refuse to be collected and you already explicitly accepted what CCP collect on characters the second you accepted the EULA.

So no, your opinion doesn't count. No one's 'opinion' counts. The only thing that counts is the EULA.

Here, I can get information on your character by calling the publicly available API data:

https://api.eveonline.com/eve/CharacterInfo.xml.aspx?characterID=2112730207

All the character API provides is access to information that CCP allow us to control access to, but we don't own it. CCP does.

The API key isn't your approval to have data collected. CCP already do that anyway. The API key is just your agreement that other players can see certain information CCP already have.

And no, Facebook have nothing at all to do with EVE character/account APIs or this thread.
Nardos Tatio
Doomheim
#34 - 2017-05-01 09:38:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Nardos Tatio
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Nardos Tatio wrote:

You can't refuse it except by not playing.

It's not your data to refuse to be collected and you already explicitly accepted what CCP collect on characters the second you accepted the EULA.

So no, your opinion doesn't count. No one's 'opinion' counts. The only thing that counts is the EULA.

Here, I can get information on your character by calling the publicly available API data:

https://api.eveonline.com/eve/CharacterInfo.xml.aspx?characterID=2112730207

All the character API provides is access to information that CCP allow us to control access to, but we don't own it. CCP does.

And no, Facebook have nothing at all to do with EVE character/account APIs or this thread.

You still get mad about the facebook EXAMPLE did you?

And we are talking about the outrageous demands of some corps and my unwillingness to give them what they demand....

From the first second i made this post PERSONAL regarding my data and my opinion and yes,my PERSONAL data belongs to me not CCP .....the EULA clearly states that.
You have to make a difference between PERSONAL data and ingame data.....

The moment CCP gives away my PERSONAL data they get sued..... :-)

The API key shows ingame data but i'm not willing to give it away either....

You may have a problem with that.....but nobody,not even CCP can force me to give it away for everyone....at least at the current state of the EULA.....
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#35 - 2017-05-01 09:44:14 UTC
Nardos Tatio wrote:

And we are talking about the outrageous demands of some corps and my unwillingness to give them what they demand....

From the first second i made this post PERSONAL regarding my data and my opinion and yes,my PERSONAL data belongs to me not CCP .....the EULA clearly states that.

You may have a problem with that.....but nobody,not even CCP can force me to give it away for everyone....at least at the current state of the EULA.....

No, not mad. You seem to have misconceptions about what the API is.

Just trying to help you understand. This thread has nothing to do with your personal information as a player.

API keys don't provide access to that.

This thread is about API keys, which provide access to information on your characters and corporations.

The full list of information available is:

https://api.eveonline.com/api/CallList.xml.aspx

Hopefully that ends this whole "personal" data thing. This thread has nothing to do with that at all and there is no way for a Corp to access your personal information through an API. It's irrelevant to this discussion.
Nardos Tatio
Doomheim
#36 - 2017-05-01 09:48:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Nardos Tatio
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Nardos Tatio wrote:

No, not mad. You seem to have misconceptions about what the API is.

Just trying to help you understand. This thread has nothing to do with your personal information as a player.

API keys don't provide access to that.

This thread is about API keys, which provide access to information on your characters and corporations.

The full list of information available is:

https://api.eveonline.com/api/CallList.xml.aspx

Hopefully that ends this whole "personal" data thing. This thread has nothing to do with that at all and there is no way for a Corp to access your personal information through an API. It's irrelevant to this discussion.

I simply tried to make clear WHY i even refuse to give away the API key collected(ingame) data......

I think it IS clear now and we can end this :-)
Honrado deQuiros
Cartella Shipments and Storage
#37 - 2017-05-01 10:16:31 UTC
Its just a test. Simple.

You get tested once, then thats it. You can delete the API key, the one they can use once, after they peek into your records. Routine checks like, where your money came from (not from some older char), some way of crosschecking the things you say to the recruiters. This just the top layer of how trusting other players in eve works. Because of how the 'net works, its very easy to infiltrate other groups to destroy them from within.
Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#38 - 2017-05-01 10:24:39 UTC
Nardos Tatio wrote:

Wrong again.
Nardos Tatio
Doomheim
#39 - 2017-05-01 11:52:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Nardos Tatio
Nicolai Serkanner wrote:
Nardos Tatio wrote:

Wrong again.

Right again because this is written in EU law.....and you can not make EU law ineffective just by writing it into a contract.....well you CAN try it,but it will not stand a court....

BTW you have an interesting view to the real world outside of MMOG.....oh well wait....even mmog have to follow the laws of the real world.....at least in europe.....so your view is flawed.......
Magnus Jax
#40 - 2017-05-01 12:08:30 UTC
Nardos Tatio wrote:
Nicolai Serkanner wrote:
Nardos Tatio wrote:

Wrong again.

Right again because this is written in EU law.....and you can not make EU law ineffective just by writing it into a contract.....well you CAN try it,but it will not stand a court....

BTW you have an interesting view to the real world outside of MMOG.....oh well wait....even mmog have to follow the laws of the real world.....at least in europe.....so your view is flawed.......

IRL you go to jail for shooting people, according to your logic anyone playing COD or BF is going to be in big trouble.
Previous page123Next page