These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Eve is not that scary, is it?

Author
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2017-03-29 15:20:03 UTC
Dupard Lemmont wrote:

I would not like CCP to change this aspect however. But maybe they should push harder on new players, encouraging them to be social and seek out friends in new eden.

The real challenge for new players is IMO, to develop an EvE identity and find the middle ground between starving solo and becoming a pawn in one of the big nullsec alliances ...

I'm my own NPC alt.

CMDR-HerpyDerpy Hurishima
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#22 - 2017-03-29 23:03:35 UTC
It is when you're about to lose a capital XD (not that i have one, just an example. im still very new to the game, about two months in)
Tisiphone Dira
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2017-03-30 03:44:35 UTC
Do we look scary to you?

There once was a ganker named tisi

A stunningly beautiful missy

To gank a gross miner

There is nothing finer, cept when they get all pissy

Jacques d'Orleans
#24 - 2017-03-30 16:29:58 UTC
Tisiphone Dira wrote:
Do we look scary to you?

God, my sides! Lol
Jacques d'Orleans
#25 - 2017-03-30 16:40:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Jacques d'Orleans
Sylvia Carpenter wrote:
I have been trying to recruit my clan mates and friends from another game, but so far not successful. Even though all of them complained and thinking of finding another game.

Then leave them behind, as they have proven themselves not worthy of your company, young padawan.

Sylvia Carpenter wrote:

From what I can gather they said that Eve is scary such as ship is lost when destroyed, have to grind for money, not a free game, takes forever to train, etc.

Well, EvE isn't scary, it's more of a mixture of utter boredom and adrenalin rush, depending on what kind of profession you choose.

Sylvia Carpenter wrote:

IMHO Eve is fun, and I get chance to learn a lot about life.
But somehow my friends disagree.
Are they correct? Or Eve is just not for everyone?
o7

EvE is not for everyone, that's for sure, especially not for the faint hearted, this is not your "Take you by the hand and guide you" MMO.
There is no content in EvE, you create your own content. But beware you might end up as content for others, prepare yourself mentally to loose the one or the other ship. Otoh, others can end up being content for you, aka shoot them in their faces.
What the future in EvE is bringing you, is only up to you.
There are so many ways, you can end up as a Industralist, Merc, Pirate, Explorer or you can become even a Agent of the Savior of the High Sec (praised be his name), it's up to you, only you.
Mukali
Defying Vision
#26 - 2017-04-06 19:45:28 UTC
Eve requires patience and being willing to learn a great deal. Imo what turns off most people to Eve is trying to go it alone. You know, that solitary ship mining in a belt, a badly fit cruiser crumpling in another low paid mission, or that industrial about to jump into lowsec not knowing they'll be dust in a few minutes.

You need buddies. Latch onto large active corporations, learn from the vets, avoid problems you never knew existed. Things are a whole lot less scary when you've got a few dozen guys willing to drop on someone gunning for you.
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#27 - 2017-04-06 22:15:20 UTC
MMORPGs are intense, immersive and time consuming. EVE can be even more so due to the unpredictability of the player created content.

Remove standings and insurance.

Ivory Harcourt
Space Ants
Brave Collective
#28 - 2017-04-07 01:31:35 UTC
Sylvia Carpenter wrote:
I have been trying to recruit my clan mates and friends from another game, but so far not successful. Even though all of them complained and thinking of finding another game.
From what I can gather they said that Eve is scary such as ship is lost when destroyed, have to grind for money, not a free game, takes forever to train, etc.
o7

It would help if we know the game, because that might point on some patterns/experience they might bring from that game.

For example, I am a former WoW player, and I can see that all those issues they brought up simply have different meanings for EVE players vs for WoW players. I will try to put down some thoughts as if I'm trying to persuade you

Losing a ship.
- In WoW, losing even a single item would mean a huge setback that could as well remove me from raiding for some time. Losing whole gear is something unthinkable.
- In EVE obviously it just means I reship and in some situations get money back via SRP.
- Losing a ship in EVE might be therefore similar to having to drink a flask again after the wipe, or eating a feast again. Yes I lose something but it's trivial and often supplied from guild funds (same as SRP in EVE).
- Obviously, sometimes the loss is actually more painful. But I am not _forced_ to fly big expensive ships, I can spend all my EVE life flying frigaes (and having much fun with them)

Grinding for money.
- In WoW ... I still have to grind mining and skinning to be able to gather better type of resources. I still need to mindlessly create stuff I disenchant on my other alt because I cannot immediately create the best stuff.
- In EVE, I can immediately mine the best ore (if I am in null, which is easy to get to) and to shoot null rats I need a cruiser, that's it. And what about exploration? I don't need more than an imicus or heron, both T1 frigs accessible immediately.
- Additionally, grinding money for what? We're again here - I am not _forced_ to fly expensive ships, and lots of people, even solo PVPers are quite happy flying a T1 frigate. In fact, I often get more fights flying solo T1 frig than flying some blingy T3 destroyer - a tristan pilot is not going to fight my svipul, but he would happily engage my incursus.

Not a free game.
- In WoW I have first 20 levels free. WoW has an endgame which starts at whatever current number is. Therefore I can never raid with my free char.
- In EVE I can fly T1 frigs, destros and cruisers forever. To fly solo, I'd need just my awesome incursus, a T1 frigate. To fly in a small gang, I'd fly some T1 tackle, a caracal or maybe osprey, all accessible for alphas. In a large fleet I'd fly vigil, maulus or any T1 tackle. All of this can be considered "an endgame".
- Or I can fly a venture, an imicus etc and slowly grind my way to my first PLEX, now when I have an unlimited time to do so.

Takes forever to train.
- In WoW, leveling up to whatever endgame level is can be very fast. Couple of weeks, maybe couple of days for crazy ones.
- In EVE, there is no endgame, so technically I have nothing I _HAVE_ to level into to have fun. I am playing the game for 4 years. I cannot fly any capital ship. I was sitting in a battleship twice in my life and I didn't like it.

And this is actually extremely important to understand. There is no endgame. There are no artificial goals set by devs. There are no ladders, no raiding that would require certain level, no PVP arenas. Applying the experience and the patterns from other games is futile. EVE is not WoW/LoL/CS:GO/whatever in space. EVE is EVE, and the closest thing to EVE is an actual real life with its complexity and its place for everyone, for McDonalds staff or for rich bankers.

P.S. And yes, EVE is not for everyone, nothing is, but it's better especially for your friends to know what EVE is before they judge whether it's for them or not :-D
Jordan Rin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2017-04-07 13:16:04 UTC
Eve Online itself is not scary at all.

A number of people playing it can be quite disturbing though.

The ones that say that they are here to "harvest tears" and you know that they MEAN it.

I would advise them to seek professional help, but they would argue that in CCP's world and terminology they are totally normal.

o/
Anysense
Alsouette Haven
#30 - 2017-04-07 21:55:31 UTC
Sylvia Carpenter wrote:

o7

What is for fun you can be a tedious work for others. There is something odd about EVE but I can't seem to understand what. Perhaps it is a problem of having a goal. You don't need one if you enjoy the process, but I don't see how can anyone enjoy, say, mining. Even PvP in EVE is very unusual and it's quite understandable if your friends don't find it exciting.
Previous page12