These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jamyl Sarum a reflection

Author
Aria Jenneth
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#61 - 2017-03-10 14:52:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Aria Jenneth

Oh, that.

Please feel free to resume. You might have noticed, I like satire.

Or, you could, you know, show me where I'm making mistakes. Historically I've been under the impression that you actually agreed with most of my conclusions-- just, that you feel that's how your god wants humans to live, even if it means suffering the same kind of turmoil and collapse the Takmahl did.

Mizhara Del'thul wrote:
Anyone remember when the 'Sani Sabik' weren't all represented by lunatics and clowns? I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss the actual Sani Sabik like Silas and Revan. At least they inspired genuine thought, opposing or otherwise, rather than more cringe than your average reality holo series.

I have no memory of that time, of course, Miz, but I think Ms. Leshrac is from that tradition?
Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#62 - 2017-03-10 14:57:28 UTC
She still has a way to go before she's anywhere near the standards set by the others mentioned, I fear. And trying to shoehorn Jammies into Sani Sabik discourse doesn't exactly help.
Louella Dougans
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
#63 - 2017-03-10 15:09:40 UTC
Mizhara Del'thul wrote:
Anyone remember when the 'Sani Sabik' weren't all represented by lunatics and clowns?

Don't romanticise the past.

They were always represented by lunatics and clowns.

Be a Space Nun, it is fun. \o/

Jev North
Doomheim
#64 - 2017-03-10 15:18:48 UTC
Mizhara Del'thul wrote:
.. actual Sani Sabik like Silas and Revan. At least they inspired genuine thought, opposing or otherwise, rather than more cringe than your average reality holo series.

Well, yes, although in my case the thought was "Most of this stuff wouldn't look out of place on slides for a mid-level corporate cadre motivational seminar."

Wouldn't surprise me if it has found its way there by now.

Even though our love is cruel; even though our stars are crossed.

Yuwei Sung
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2017-03-10 15:23:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Yuwei Sung
Mizhara Del'thul wrote:
A consequence of having waded neck deep through these sewers of discourse and propaganda for too long. These arguments have been had countless times, by countless people and this leads to a few things...

pft.

You're right, of course, now that I'm giving it some thought. In retrospect, my question from earlier was obviously a bit arrogant. I'd been thinking about the conversation as though it existed in isolation, and not, as would be the case in a closed off forum with a only a few users and public viewership, a continuation of one that's been repeated in some form or another a myriad of times. I know the feeling of discussing a matter over and over and over again, until it's become less an arguement and more of a ritual, so it shouldn't have surprised me that you'd want to keep your words blunt.

Quite funny, really. I accused you of a visceral response, but in reality, my question, rooted in my quick, gut-driven curiosity of your character, was the real one, while your original remark was more thought out. You must get people like me often, jumping into these old battles and acting like they just begun. I'll try to be less tedious in the future.

I did appreciate that explanation, though, so thank you. Serious question: Have you ever thought of writing a book? I think that's what most people do, when they feel like their ideas have grown big enough and been sharpened enough to properly cave someones head in.

Aria Jenneth wrote:
Well-- only that contains the same core motive, I think.

"Suffering hurts. I don't want to suffer. I don't want my loved ones to suffer."

That's the core motive behind any civilization worthy of the name...

You're a lot less partisan than I, Ms. Jenneth, or perhaps sentiment on the matter has warped your perspective. Or maybe, a lack of it my own?

But to bluntly speak my own mind, I think the Empire is a civilization that is very effective at preserving itself and it's ideology. However - without attempting any overtures of morality - I can't say it's actions, or the nature of it's mechanisms, paint me a picture of one based around compassion for mankinds suffering. It's a factor, for certain. But I think it's a false equivalency you're making: There are many reasons for a society's makers to want "social longevity and stability" that are distinctly not that, while on the other hand, it's hard to find another explanation for making "All human life is precious and should be protected" a cardinal virtue.

I'll consent, though, that it's quite good at teaching people to limit their ambitions.
Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#66 - 2017-03-10 15:55:26 UTC
Yuwei Sung wrote:
Serious question: Have you ever thought of writing a book? I think that's what most people do, when they feel like their ideas have grown big enough and been sharpened enough to properly cave someones head in.

I have, and probably will follow through on the thought at some point. However, my life is not very conducive to such things at the moment, especially since it could be argued that it'd be effort largely spent on masturbatory soap boxing while there's more important work to do. One day, perhaps. Today, I merely cherish - in retrospect at least - the moments of boredom and not actually having something to do in order to recharge.

There seems to be a never ending list of things that needs doing, with all too few people putting in that effort. A book will have to stay a few items down on such a list. For now.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#67 - 2017-03-10 16:11:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Aria Jenneth
Yuwei Sung wrote:
You're a lot less partisan than I, Ms. Jenneth, or perhaps sentiment on the matter has warped your perspective. Or maybe, a lack of it my own?

Uh ... could be either, really. Both?

A little explanation might help. I'm (as you probably already guessed) not Amarr at all; I'm an Achur, Shuijing ("Crystal") sect. However, I'm a sworn retainer to Praefecta Lunarisse Daphiti, who very much is Amarr. I don't feel all that much attachment to the Empire, directly. It's my home, though, so some sentiment's probably inevitable. On the other hand, my heathen faith limits me to a servant's rank, and there are definitely things here I have some trouble with even if I understand the theoretical reasons for them.

One thing that's definitely true is that I have mostly a Caldari cultural view of the Federation. I'm not especially loyal to the State, either: I don't remember anything that happened to me more than about two years ago, which maybe kind of limits my ability to feel strong sentiment about home and hearth, which is a little important to the Caldari generally. However, I do still kind of have the typical Caldari reaction to the idea of democracy, which is basically disbelief.

"How exactly do you expect to sustainably run a country through rule-by-mob? Elites are elite for a reason!"

Quote:
But to bluntly speak my own mind, I think the Empire is a civilization that is very effective at preserving itself and it's ideology. However - without attempting any overtures of morality - I can't say it's actions, or the nature of it's mechanisms, paint me a picture of one based around compassion for mankinds suffering. It's a factor, for certain. But I think it's a false equivalency you're making: There are many reasons for a society's makers to want "social longevity and stability" that are distinctly not that, while on the other hand, it's hard to find another explanation for making "All human life is precious and should be protected" a cardinal virtue.

I'll consent, though, that it's quite good at teaching people to limit their ambitions.

Well-- actually, I think the Amarr (unlike the Caldari) actually do hold the idea that "All human life is precious and should be protected" ... by being converted or conquered and added to the Empire. Once all of humanity is safely under the rule of the Kingdom of God in This World, we can get down seriously to mitigating the suffering that the process might, itself, have caused.

(I did say I don't agree with them about everything, right? Golden ships in the sky over Achura is literally a nightmare I have had, even if I can't remember what it was like living there.)

(Fortunately, from my point of view, the Amarr have hit a stumbling block or four in conquering humanity, and the remainder of the Reclaiming might have to be carried out peacefully, by persuasion. That, I have more trouble objecting to.)

The accusation that power structures are more interested in maintaining their own power than in helping people is a permanent one common to pretty much every civilization and culture. It's a fair question, but kind of a hard one to answer since it boils down to questioning leaders' motives more than their actions. Even the most benevolent ruler probably wants to stay in charge so they can keep being benevolent.

The Federation seems to approach this by switching out its rulership on a really regular basis according to popular will. The Empire takes the opposite approach: it maintains institutions arranged not so much to respond to individual merit (that, in principle, is the Caldari system) or popular sentiment as to identify and promote families that serve as reliable sources of merit over generations. Upward mobility is very slow, and downward can be very fast-- a single corrupt member is taken as a warning about the whole family, and Holders can end up slaves for that reason alone. (Just ask Sinjin Mokk. Expect to get a bunch of anti-Amarr rhetoric to go with the story, though; he's a little bitter.)

The thing that really interests me about the Amarr is the way the Empire's set up to simultaneously encourage Amarrian virtue (piety, generosity, obedience, etc.) and harness more questionable, but inevitable, human traits (greed, ambition, etc.) to constructive ends. It doesn't work perfectly (if it did, the Matari would all be Ammatar and there'd be no Sani Sabik), but its longevity isn't just the result of a lot of self-interested nobles managing to cling to power by their fingernails for century after century.

Seriously, why does anybody think that "religious indoctrination," "systematic oppression," "entrenched power," and "sometimes bad people win" are adequate explanation for four thousand years? The kinds of ills persistent, obvious injustice cause are more than unpleasant. They're destabilizing, and the timeline for stuff like that to do its work is not all that blasted long.
Jade Blackwind
#68 - 2017-03-10 19:01:05 UTC
The Empire is a 40-foot walking dead in gilded armor. A colossus on the legs of clay, as someone once said. A big collective Nauplius that will be wiped from the face of history within the next few decades, an old ossified tumor that demands a cruel, but necessary cure.

It held all that time up to the last two hundred years because it was isolated. But now it is not. Its foundations are already shaking, it cannot face new threats like Drifters and ultimately resorts to mass hirings of freelance eggers for protection. Two emperors assassinated in a row within ten years, the last of the two violated their own doctrine of sacred flesh on the pretext that it was a miracle.

The Empire is obsolete. Defending it with weapons - much less with words - is futile. If it is you home, prepare to see it on fire within your lifetime.

The future belongs to the free people of the stars. And, yes, some of them might think that pure blood is sacred. Not that it matters in the rest of the picture.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#69 - 2017-03-10 20:38:29 UTC
Jade Blackwind wrote:
The future belongs to the free people of the stars. And, yes, some of them might think that pure blood is sacred. Not that it matters in the rest of the picture.

"The free people of the stars."

... well ... the current legal regime surrounding capsuleers does sort of set us up as a bunch of tiny nation-states in pursuit of some policy that only really makes sense if you assume something other than the four empires is at work. (Jove apprenticeship, maybe?) It's really strange, and it makes each capsuleer basically a petty autocrat. So if being a tiny dictator is your impression of being "free," Ms. Blackwind, you might have a point. Only, without shared order, infrastructure tends to degrade, and we're still a little dependent on the empires for that even if it sometimes seems like Upwell, et al, are trying to nudge us out of the nest.

A collapse of our host infrastructure would probably ... not be good.
Casserina Leshrac
Sanguine Illuminations
#70 - 2017-03-10 21:34:31 UTC
Mizhara Del'thul wrote:
Anyone remember when the 'Sani Sabik' weren't all represented by lunatics and clowns? I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss the actual Sani Sabik like Silas and Revan. At least they inspired genuine thought, opposing or otherwise, rather than more cringe than your average reality holo series.

I confess the Cluster is a far different place when I first was here.

Though I have in my recent travels found a few of the of the intellectuals remain.

Not to mention a few who are curious about what the Sani Sabik was.

I knew some of them personally and others by reputation.

Not only were they we'll versed in philosophical discussions but at the same time remind us there places in New Eden, to explore and be challenged.

They are missed.

We stand at the Abyss, drawing the Patterns of Fate - Casserina Leshrac, Savant, Sani Sabik.

Casserina Leshrac
Sanguine Illuminations
#71 - 2017-03-10 21:52:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Casserina Leshrac
Mizhara Del'thul wrote:
She still has a way to go before she's anywhere near the standards set by the others mentioned, I fear. And trying to shoehorn Jammies into Sani Sabik discourse doesn't exactly help.

Not so much shoehorn, but an observation. One that causes discussion. As I said in the beginning I was seeking clarification and I think I got it.

I am even certain that it was brought up before. Not that it is all that important.

I am also humble enough to know that I am nowhere in the league of Revan or Silas. Both had built remarkable legacies. Something to be envied.

I have serve as apprentice to some and served long enough to know the difference what is from Apocrypha and the Scriptures.

Yes there are raving cultist. Personalities who seem to think that have be sparked by the Divine to truly represent that Power.

I am Sani Sabik. Nor do I intend to replace those before me.

I do however intend to survive and endure as true Sani Sabik do.

We stand at the Abyss, drawing the Patterns of Fate - Casserina Leshrac, Savant, Sani Sabik.

Maria Daphiti
Khimi Harar
#72 - 2017-03-10 22:22:55 UTC
Casserina Leshrac wrote:

I am not Sani Sabik. Nor do I intend to replace those before me.

I do however intend to survive and endure as true Sani Sabik do.

Even the "outed" Sani don't want to admit that they are Sani Sabik anymore!
Jade Blackwind
#73 - 2017-03-10 22:47:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Blackwind
Aria Jenneth wrote:
... well ... the current legal regime surrounding capsuleers does sort of set us up as a bunch of tiny nation-states in pursuit of some policy that only really makes sense if you assume something other than the four empires is at work. (Jove apprenticeship, maybe?) It's really strange, and it makes each capsuleer basically a petty autocrat. So if being a tiny dictator is your impression of being "free," Ms. Blackwind, you might have a point. Only, without shared order, infrastructure tends to degrade, and we're still a little dependent on the empires for that even if it sometimes seems like Upwell, et al, are trying to nudge us out of the nest.

A collapse of our host infrastructure would probably ... not be good.

You do know that many independent groups have a history of operating for years in WH and 0.0 space without relying much at highsec infrastructure, even before Upwell became a thing. Look at Alexylva Paradox and the Origin colony project, for example, and that's the most advertised one.

Regarding the host infrastructure, you seem to confuse the collapse of CONCORD and the imperial government with some extinction level cataclysm that terminates all available facilities belonging to all baseliner factions. Well, this is actually possible, but only while there is Empire-controlled CONCORD, and it decides one day to simply pull the plug on the capsuleer project.

Otherwise, even if highsec, CONCORD and central governments are no longer, the markets collapse and Jita becomes nullsec overnight, the capsuleer numbers might plummet, yes, those who have the will to adapt and survive, will do so. Not as convenient as it is now for all those who are used to be spoonfed free ISK? Sure.

But fun as hell.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#74 - 2017-03-11 02:09:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Aria Jenneth
I guess it's a little bit of an article of faith among some capsuleers that you really are independent-- or could at least survive becoming so. My predecessor would have been thrilled, though I think she wanted to see us part ways with baseline humanity entirely. She saw them as a threat.

I can kind of see her point. My feelings on the matter are more based on general observations than on specific scenarios, though.

Stuff like:

* In times of crisis, standards will generally slip.
* Chaos is normally bad for education levels.
* Chaos often results in outright loss of knowledge, as people who knew the most about X die without passing their insights on.
* Our position in this world depends on a pile of interlocking and very fiddly bits of tech, including some bits neither we nor anybody who works for us actually understands.
* We are still a little dependent on abundant crew.
* We don't see everything that feeds us.
* Cloning is tricky. It's also dependent on available biomass and is probably our single most vulnerable point.
* The outer powers have little reason to like us.
* We, as a class, tend to underestimate the power of an ape with a tool box ...
* ... which works in multiple different ways. There are some functions our pods lock us out of that might be unlockable given time and the absence of CONCORD, like orbital bombardment with capital-scale antimatter shells.
* If it's doable, someone will definitely do it, and probably keep doing it until they can't.
* We can still die.

... I don't think, if, say, the empires all go to all-out war and leave us an age of dust and ashes, we'll make it very far on our own.

I'm not sure we deserve to, either. We're a warrior caste, and tend to be careless about other human beings' lives. The "free people of the stars" are likely to wind up having a short reign as petty warlords before an undertrained cloning technician calibrates a neural scanner improperly or we run out of people who know how to maintain a ship.

Or whichever "pirate" power comes out on top launches a campaign to finish us off, probably by sabotage.

For one reason or another, the Ancients all fell, leaving us to scrape together what we can from the ruins. Why would our fate be any different?
Yuwei Sung
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#75 - 2017-03-11 04:07:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Yuwei Sung
You're quite a romantic, Ms. Jenneth, if you'll forgive the non-sequitur. It's a beautiful trait, even if it's one I've never really shared. You must make a lot of good friends.

I'll abstain from picking apart your post in full, though I'll comment that I never said the Empire was evil, or even a society that (at least often) forcefully indoctrinates it's people. In fact, I actually think the Empire is a fantastically designed system for many of the same reasons that you yourself have listed. The Amarrian religion itself is likely the most spectacular project of literary and political art that remains in the world today: Not only does it serve to to fulfill the underclasses more basic spiritual needs, as well as reliably encourage it's leaders to take it upon themselves to accommodate their human ones (panem et circenses, as they'd say over there), it's also proven itself extremely adaptable and capable of driving progress rather than impeding it, a feat that almost all authoritarian religions stumble on.

It's interesting that you imagine I would think the Empire is malicious, broken, or just a device to keep it's leaders in positions of comfortable power, just because I don't think it's built on the same root as the Federation.

To be clear: we're talking about "foundations" here, not what the Empire does day to day, right? Not the symptoms, but the virus, the truth (or the lie) at the heart itself. Now, with that in mind, I'd like you to think about the early history of the Empire, with as rational and calculated a mindset as you can muster.

Can you really tell me it was built with compassion for all mankind in mind, even then? The society, the faith in it's primeval form, all of it?

I think you'd find it hard to say the Federation wasn't. They were basically screaming it at the time; A desire to atone for past wrongs, to make a rejection of that pain something fundamental. It was the kind of almost idiotic purity of intent that can only be born on a mountain of ones errors.

Are they the same? And if not, what truth was there, in those early years?
morion
Lighting Build
#76 - 2017-03-11 05:59:40 UTC  |  Edited by: morion
echo ... echo ... echo ...
SASSY
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#77 - 2017-03-11 06:11:30 UTC
morion wrote:
echo ... echo ... echo ...

g morion your the smartest not responding to your own comments person ever
I almost don't feel ********.
morion
Lighting Build
#78 - 2017-03-11 06:14:57 UTC
thanks SASSY we could have a cult of personality.
Hanya
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2017-03-11 06:18:06 UTC
Having a conversation with yourself is stupid.
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#80 - 2017-03-11 15:47:40 UTC
Yuwei Sung wrote:
You're quite a romantic, Ms. Jenneth, if you'll forgive the non-sequitur. It's a beautiful trait, even if it's one I've never really shared. You must make a lot of good friends.

Uh ... maybe? Subjectively, I'm a ridiculously well-educated two-year-old. I'm definitely a little emotionally unguarded, at the least.

Quote:
It's interesting that you imagine I would think the Empire is malicious, broken, or just a device to keep it's leaders in positions of comfortable power, just because I don't think it's built on the same root as the Federation.

I'm sorry; I guess I'm making assumptions based on the usual trajectory arguments from the Federation or Republic take.

(Also, you just got done making agreeable noises at Miz. She's ... a little partisan? Like, sharply, harshly, viciously.)

Quote:
To be clear: we're talking about "foundations" here, not what the Empire does day to day, right? Not the symptoms, but the virus, the truth (or the lie) at the heart itself. Now, with that in mind, I'd like you to think about the early history of the Empire, with as rational and calculated a mindset as you can muster.

Can you really tell me it was built with compassion for all mankind in mind, even then? The society, the faith in it's primeval form, all of it?

I think you'd find it hard to say the Federation wasn't. They were basically screaming it at the time; A desire to atone for past wrongs, to make a rejection of that pain something fundamental. It was the kind of almost idiotic purity of intent that can only be born on a mountain of ones errors.

Are they the same? And if not, what truth was there, in those early years?

Uh ... I'd say it goes back at least to the Moral Reforms, which is when I understand the Takmahl left. That's a few thousand years, though I guess the Amarr were already a spacefaring people at that time. Before that, it was maybe the kind of fusion of principles Nauplius is looking to return to (which would be awful, although I don't think it looked, or would look like, he imagines it).

Before that ... I've already more than hinted at the truth I think the Sani Sabik have found, and how little good it does them. The Sani Sabik understand Power. But ... they don't seem to understand anything else. Just because something's true doesn't make it a solid foundation. Insight's a dangerous thing to be content with just a little bit of.

The Amarr, also, seem to understand Power, and the culture's still a touch obsessed with it, but their approach is to control it, to ration it, and it's not the only thing they understand. Humility, Moderation, Compassion-- these come immediately to mind because they're the virtues my sect teaches, but most Amarr seem to approve. (I kind of wish the Empire's culture showed more of the fourth virtue, Curiosity, but, we're from different cultures and faiths, after all.)

Um. Turning things around a little, though, Ms. Sung ... I kind of think the intense desire to do good, to have compassion for all humankind, to reject pain, is a little bit of a problem for the Federation, and, to the degree it shares this quality, the Empire. From a Caldari perspective, both Federation and Empire are aggressive, meddlesome powers, eager to inflict their view of the world on everyone else.

I told you golden ships in Achur skies is a nightmare of mine, and that's true, but Federal green has haunted the whole State's darkest dreams for two centuries.